• GUESTS

If YouĀ  want accessĀ  to member only forums onĀ FM, You will need toĀ Sign-inĀ orĀ  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Solar battery charger

Badaboom

Question

I want to put solar trickle charger on 12 v deep cycle trolling battery.

would appreciate any experience good or bad.

fingers crossed for openeršŸ™ˆ

8 answers to this question

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
13 hours ago, Badaboom said:

I want to put solar trickle charger on 12 v deep cycle trolling battery.

would appreciate any experience good or bad.

fingers crossed for openeršŸ™ˆ

Welcome to the forum.

Not really a problem at all. It's done for boat lift batteries all over. I have one on my lift.Ā  Just make sure if your going to letĀ it sit unused for a few days to haveĀ overcharge protection on it! šŸ‘

I use one of those small, inexpensive units for the battery in my lawn tractor and it keeps it topped off well. It puts out about 1 watt which is good for a small battery that is used a few times a week. Ā But to charge a deep cycle battery you will need something much more substantial (larger and with a better charge controller). Several websites offer such systems. Ā They can set you up with a complete system (panel, charge controller, etc.) Pretty cool tech.

7 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Welcome to the forum.

Not really a problem at all. It's done for boat lift batteries all over. I have one on my lift.Ā  Just make sure if your going to letĀ it sit unused for a few days to haveĀ overcharge protection on it! šŸ‘

Thanks, I figured it would work I meant to ask about brands and value .

11 hours ago, Badaboom said:

Thanks, I figured it would work I meant to ask about brands and value .

Not sure what brand, but I got panel and controller from Northen Tool, It was a 7 Amp.Ā  And have used it about 6 years now. šŸ‘

Edited by leech~~

4 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Not sure what brand, but I got panel and controller from Northen Tool, It was a 7 Amp.Ā  And have used it about 6 years now. šŸ‘

Do the solar panels get dirty and have to be cleaned often to keep them functioning properly?

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, BobT said:

Do the solar panels get dirty and have to be cleaned often to keep them functioning properly?

Mine is on a boat lift. I clean it well before putting it up each year and the rain seems to keep it pretty clean.Ā