• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Squeaky shiners...Has anyone else experienced this?

PeachyHans

Over the weekend I caught a few small silver fish that I'm certain were shiners. Only thing was that they squeaked defensively when I touched them. I never heard of this happening and the few people I asked just looked at me like I was from Mars. "Squeaky shiners? You drank the lake water, didn't you?"

This was on Mille Lacs if that helps. The shiners looked like the common variety with the rounded face and derpy expression, a few of them had minor freckling or stripes. 

Basically this...

Common_Shiner_Luxilus_cornutus_10-9-15.jpg.bffe233319efd870f2cefb0adc1cb081.jpg

Image curtesy of the Missouri Dept of Conservation.

• Yayyyy 1
leech~~

Next time, break out the cell and take a video for the world to see!  With sound. 🤭

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• whateverisbiting
      By whateverisbiting
      Trolling with my main motor the min speed is 2.9 mph.  Would like to get that closer to 1.8.  I have a good electric motor but want to be able to troll with the main motor as well.  Not going to get a kicker.  Don't like the idea of putting the electric in the water as resistance.  Don't want to troll backwards (though I can get really slow that way).  Other options I have seen:

1 or 2 drift socks off the front thinking that is sort of a hassle.

Trolling plates I read that sends prop wash down and sideways and can disturb the fish or your fish finder.

Wonder if a different prop would work? 

Anyone have an opinion / experience with this?
    • Mike89
      By Mike89
      Webinar for women focuses on learning to fish

Women interested in learning more about fishing are invited to join a webinar with the Becoming an Outdoors Woman program of the DNR.

The free webinar is at noon on Wednesday, April 28, and is part of the Minnesota Outdoor Skills and Stewardship Series that aims to give participants quick, relevant information on upcoming seasons and events, and skills to help enjoy these opportunities.

Join Linda Bylander, DNR Becoming an Outdoors Woman program coordinator, to learn about the program’s fishing classes and Take a Mom Fishing Weekend that is Saturday, May 8, to Sunday, May 9, this year. Bylander will be joined by Women Anglers of Minnesota President Michelle Morey, and pro angler and bait shop owner Nancy Koep, to learn more about fishing opportunities in Minnesota.

More details: https://lnks.gd/l/eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJidWxsZXRpbl9saW5rX2lkIjoxMDEsInVyaSI6ImJwMjpjbGljayIsImJ1bGxldGluX2lkIjoiMjAyMTA0MjEuMzkxOTc4NzEiLCJ1cmwiOiJodHRwczovL3d3dy5kbnIuc3RhdGUubW4udXMvZXZlbnRzL2V2ZW50Lmh0bWw_aWQ9NjU3MjAifQ.KHllqxKj9KU8MrHphp2GX8OqpiItuan1IP8-iEDf9ps/s/6012527/br/103567737883-l
    • PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      I went out to Medicine lake yesterday and there were dead panfish discarded all over the place. I don't know who or why but it was such a waste, plus one little sunny was obviously cut up as bait... And then I found a huge PILE of about 20 fish behind a building. There are signs posted and reminders everywhere, only 5 panfish/crappies per person. This looked deliberate, like a middle finger to authority.
      I was furious and now I'm just sad. I took pictures and I want to do something about it but I have no idea what. 😩
    • rayguy
      By rayguy
      For those of you planning on a trip to the egg taking station on the Pine River forget it till next year.   Due to the covid regs.  there will be no visitors allowed this year. Hope they are having a good run.  Rayguy
    • PeachyHans
      By PeachyHans
      Hey all! Tomorrow (Apr 3rd) I'm taking some friends out to do some fishing. We usually target rivers, and live around the metro, but I'm willing to drive a ways to find good spots. No boat, so this would be shore fishing.
      We aren't after anything specific but would be nice to get something to fry up later! Which of course means targeting legal fish like carp, suckers, cats, panfish, etc. 
    • leech~~
      By leech~~
      I heard a few lakes are starting to have ice moving and piling up in this two day wind storm.  Folks could end up with some shore line damage?  😬
    • Adam1642
      By Adam1642
      Does anyone know if you can get a pontoon from Mayo to Sibley lake?  Looking at property on Mayo.  
    • whateverisbiting
      By whateverisbiting
      Looking to set up my new Alumacraft Trophy boat.  Anyone have experience with Alumatrac?  Stuff available from Alumacraft is plastic and looks weak and the options are quite limited.  Stuff from other makers I have seen (Brocraft, Traxstech, Depth Raider, Colliflower) is metal and a number of reviews say they don't fit or scratch badly.  Seems the tolerance on this track may not be very tight.  Colliflower states they have a top adjustment to account for the poor tolerance but their options are limited.  Looking at all options including rod holders, downrigger holders, and other gadgets.  Trying to decide whether to buy for the track or just mount directly to the gunwale.  Any help is appreciated.
    • papadarv
      By papadarv
      Heavy rain, warm 50+ temps, 15 MPH wind, Coon Lake Anoka Co. Opened today 3/24/21. Sunny tomorrow, good time to get boat ready. Lots of Robbins flying around in the rain.
    • Rip De Lips
      By Rip De Lips
      Is the special 40 inch min pike reg for this lake gone? I only see a 10 per day sunfish limit listed. Thanks 
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.