• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moisture condensation in insulated Otter fish houses?

jim curlee

I have an old(purple) Otter Lodge.

I'm thinkin about buying a new one with the insulated cover.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on moisture condensation in the newer houses.

Right now with the moderate temps, my old house is way wet on the inside.

Thanks

Jim

I've had a Thermal Otter for a few years now and have had no problems with condensation. It is insane how little it takes to heat it too. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I've had an insulated house from another manufacturer since 2012. It's awesome. Very easy to heat and has no to minimal condensation.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I have a Clam Voyager TCX thermo top. Even just having the thermo top was night and day for dripping as compared to my old plan Voyager. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for the response's, now if I can only find one on sale, for sale, SURE. LOL

Sure do like the side doors, looks way handier than having to step over my holes to get out.

The dog stepped in one of the hole's the other day so he might like the side doors too. LOL 

Jim

Edited by jim curlee
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, you may want to get a move on looking as houses are moving. Was in Fleet Farm BP this morning. Looks like a ghost town in their ice fishing area.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Yeah, you may want to get a move on looking as houses are moving. Was in Fleet Farm BP this morning. Looks like a ghost town in their ice fishing area.

All the inventory is on the ice this season!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

All the inventory is on the ice this season!

Have noticed that since the big wigs own Fleet now. They do "seasonal buys" on items and once its sold out there is no resupplying until next season. They start combining shelving and moving in the summer boating stuff.

• Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Have noticed that since the big wigs own Fleet now. They do "seasonal buys" on items and once its sold out there is no resupplying until next season. They start combining shelving and moving in the summer boating stuff.

You’re exactly right.  They have their maximum profits dialed in and to heck with incidental late demand when it comes to that stuff.  This year has amplified that process.  You couldn’t find any popular fishing line in stock in the Baxter store past opener.  It wasn’t even good BY opener.

• Thumbs Up 2

I bought my new Thermal Otter Hub on clearance at REEDs last year.  I'd check there.  I am ordering from them more and more.

I get a touch of dampness when I heat it up, but it definitely doesn't drip like my old canvas Clam flip over did.

• Thumbs Up 1

Condensation in portables directly related to the amount of propane used. Each pound of propane burned produces about 1.6 # of water. (1 1/2 pint) Ice melt from heater also adds moisture. Better insulated, less heat & condensation. A floor also greatly reduces moisture. The colder the outside temp the greater visible condensation. At -17 Deg. frost visible in my 949i Eskimo Hub - Big Buddy running on Hi, 18,000 BTU. At 21,600 BTU per pound propane frost in 4 hours on walls and celing. New Otters have excellent insulation, better than my Eskimo.

20210119_131422.jpg.39227bcbde5a2fc823439770037720a9.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Just curious Jim, how much ching you have to put out for that. I am throwing around the idea of replacing my old uninsulated Dave gentz fish trap. Looking to go insulated and a zipper door.

Really struggling with this as I only use it 3-5 times a winter. My main means of winter fishing includes a spear.

How big of one do you want @smurfy?

I switched from my old Fish Trap uninsulated Voyager to a used Otter 650 last year - insulated roof only.  Smaller and a little tattered but had some adds for $450.  That’s about as low as you’ll see them.  Most of the houses I’ve seen his size run $950 - $1100 used in like new condition, assembled.

The thing with the insulated Otters is they get big and heavy fast cuz they’re built so well.  The 650 is an oversized 1 person/small 2 person that I can manage better but you can’t pack the kitchen sink in it.

I don't need a huge one but bigger than a one man. Used my brother's one man once, just not enough room for me and fishing deep with 2 holes is looking for a diseaster waiting to happen.

And I'd really like a zipper door so I don't have to always flip it to get out.

Edited by smurfy

9 hours ago, smurfy said:

I don't need a huge one but bigger than a one man. Used my brother's one man once, just not enough room for me and fishing deep with 2 holes is looking for a diseaster waiting to happen.

And I'd really like a zipper door so I don't have to always flip it to get out.

You don't want to leave any money behind when you die do you? Get an Otter Cabin. Big enough for one guy 2 lines or 2 guys one line each. Enjoy retirement.?

• Thumbs Up 4

Otter was one of the first shelter to get the insulated material right to reduce condensation and frost build up.

Eskimo is right behind there now with their newer Stormsheild Fabric on their Outbreak XD series.

• Thumbs Up 1