• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Opinions About Tip-ups

BobT

I looking at tip-ups for a Christmas gift but am not sure which way to go.

Which do you prefer and why?

I have never used one of the thermal type. I like being able to see if the spool is turning before I lift it out of the water. How much better are thermal tip-ups for keeping the hole from freezing? Do they really make that much difference? 

image.png.60895a48cfb997f77a667d253b1fea41.pngimage.png.b236d74c54c8fb93c0072c50c5645494.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Thermals do slow down ice building in the hole.  But, I am a beaver dam guy.  I still use the same one my dad got me over 20 years ago, I couldn't see a reason why it would ever break.  The single digit temperature days and below my holes do ice up quick, but usually I just clear out the ice every hour.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I have run all of them and have a couple buckets full HT Beaver Dam, Clam, Polar, Frabill and hands down in my opinion the cadillac and best is your Beaver Dam for smoothness and durability. Will and do  others work yes but quality and smoothness isn't as good. I do think the insulated Frabill is nice because you can stack a few in a 5 gallon pail for traveling hauling out ,  plus if you have a few others you can set a trap line along some structure break lines. As far as hole covers I make my own cut out of those padded floor mats you can buy or thicker foam pads. The hole covers  aren't that expensive but definately help on those brutal days when wind blows snow across your hole or she's dang cold out. I started running Finiky Fish Foolers last few years and am really impressed!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

@BobT You can see if the spool is spinning on the thermals; the tab that holds the flag spins when the spool does.

Ive tries a bunch of tip ups also and agree the Beaver Dam is the most bullet proof.  The thermals do cover the hole and block the light if your fishing shallow.  I like that aside from whatever slower icing might occur.

Mostly lately I’ve used Ice Riggers with what ever rod I want to fish with.  Can change presentation easily and still fight a fish on a rod instead of hand over hand.  Of course the super thrifty way is use a bait caster or bait runner reel and some survey tape tied to the line.  Set the rod but in the slush, set your depth and snug up the tape at the rod tip.  Just watch for a FLAG DOWN! instead.

This one was even thriftier than survey tape.  A twist tie and piece of paper.  I was really on a budget that day. ?

image.thumb.jpeg.b7dd092788ee736c05a12729e3ddedd9.jpeg

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 3

I like the Beaver Dam Tip Up. I also favor my Vintage stick version I picked up from Quade - Hutchinson MN $2.69 about 60 years ago. I seldom use Tip Up's today as I truly enjoy the warmth of my Wheel House, Eskimo Hub and Frabill flip. I added a noise maker to my Tip Ups to let me know a strike while sitting in the comfort of warmth.

20201206_100553.thumb.jpg.63296cc90318ae3fe398f8e06325c485.jpg

On 12/5/2020 at 9:37 PM, Wanderer said:

@BobT You can see if the spool is spinning on the thermals; the tab that holds the flag spins when the spool does.

Ive tries a bunch of tip ups also and agree the Beaver Dam is the most bullet proof.  The thermals do cover the hole and block the light if your fishing shallow.  I like that aside from whatever slower icing might occur.

Mostly lately I’ve used Ice Riggers with what ever rod I want to fish with.  Can change presentation easily and still fight a fish on a rod instead of hand over hand.  Of course the super thrifty way is use a bait caster or bait runner reel and some survey tape tied to the line.  Set the rod but in the slush, set your depth and snug up the tape at the rod tip.  Just watch for a FLAG DOWN! instead.

This one was even thriftier than survey tape.  A twist tie and piece of paper.  I was really on a budget that day. ?

image.thumb.jpeg.b7dd092788ee736c05a12729e3ddedd9.jpeg

I have an HT tip up that works with a fishing rod. I do like having the ability to use the rod instead of hand-over-hand retrieving. The one drawback is that  it works great when it is warm and the hole doesn't freeze so quick but when the hole freezes over the line freezes in the ice so it is more important to do regular hole maintenance if it it is cold. 

I don't tip-up fish much at all, but I was watching a fishing show last winter where there were out in Wisconsin with the inventor of a tip up called the Finicky Fooler.  It's a tip-up that holds a regular rod - might be similar to the HT Tip Up. Anyway, it looked like a great set-up, but doesn't alleviate the ice-up issue, but it looks like they sell a hole cover too. Here's the show if anyone is curious:

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/9/2020 at 8:26 AM, Getanet said:

I don't tip-up fish much at all, but I was watching a fishing show last winter where there were out in Wisconsin with the inventor of a tip up called the Finicky Fooler.  It's a tip-up that holds a regular rod - might be similar to the HT Tip Up. Anyway, it looked like a great set-up, but doesn't alleviate the ice-up issue, but it looks like they sell a hole cover too. Here's the show if anyone is curious:

Nice idea. I wonder if a guy could take a 2" Styrofoam disk to make something similar. I would probably want the slot a little wider so I could remove the disk without touching the line so the fish is not alerted. Might be worth a try. 

The hook setter part of that would make it illegal in Minnesota. I have been using the I fish pro. The down fall to them are they need a 36" rod.

2 hours ago, fishingstar said:

The hook setter part of that would make it illegal in Minnesota. I have been using the I fish pro. The down fall to them are they need a 36" rod.

The Finicky Fooler Tip-Up isn't a hooker setter style. Works the same way a regular tip-up does. On their website they do make a Finicky Fooler Hook Setter, which would be illegal here. The 8:30 mark of the video above shows how it operates.  But I'm starting to sound like a sales rep for them...

Anyway, Bob, I was in a Michael's arts and crafts story this past weekend and they had all sorts of Styrofoam stuff. I'm sure there were round pieces that would work perfect to test as a hole cover - although you'd probably have to set something on them to keep them from blowing away. Hobby Lobby or any other arts/crafts store in your area would probably have just what you're looking for for a couple of bucks.  Worth a shot.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Getanet said:

The Finicky Fooler Tip-Up isn't a hooker setter style. Works the same way a regular tip-up does. On their website they do make a Finicky Fooler Hook Setter, which would be illegal here. The 8:30 mark of the video above shows how it operates.  But I'm starting to sound like a sales rep for them...

Anyway, Bob, I was in a Michael's arts and crafts story this past weekend and they had all sorts of Styrofoam stuff. I'm sure there were round pieces that would work perfect to test as a hole cover - although you'd probably have to set something on them to keep them from blowing away. Hobby Lobby or any other arts/crafts store in your area would probably have just what you're looking for for a couple of bucks.  Worth a shot.

but at the 12:20 make it shows how to use it as a hook setter.

My point was it can not be used that way in Minnesota legally. 

Styrofoam will work wonders, the only issue is if it gets frozen in a bit around the edges, might break when removing. I have had good success with a flattened beer case in a pinch. Just cut the slot and small hole in the center, it works surprisingly well. 

2 hours ago, fishingstar said:

but at the 12:20 make it shows how to use it as a hook setter.

My point was it can not be used that way in Minnesota legally. 

Ah. Yes, can't use it that way here.

I love using tip ups but got away from them because they were horrible when it gets cold.  I even tried the thermal styles and they just froze into the hole and it was worse.  I decided to try them again and started experimenting.  The frabill ones are horrible stay away from them the release mechanism is terrible.  I bought 2 and threw them away I would not even give them away they are so bad.  I then tried the HT they are fine with the standard release, but still freeze in.  I bought some round foam rubber pieces ($5 each) in the fishing section of fleet farm that go under the tip up and I was shocked it worked great to keep the ice out!  When really cold I stacked two.  It worked great!  Also, you don't need a thermal tip up you can put any style on top of it so buy your favorite brand and use it on top of the foam rubber base.

As an added bonus, clip a tip up light for night fishing.  Got some really nice eyes that way at night spanning the break from top to deep.  In this case, steer clear of the HT they are too heavy and are too sensitive (they don't shut off unless absolutely horizontal)...in this case, use the frabill

• Thumbs Up 2