• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Post Current Ice Conditions

IceHawk

New to the sight, so figured I would start with what I have been finding for ice where I have been fishing. On the chain I have been finding around 4 1/2”-6” of ice. But there are spots that you still have to use caution around yet. Atleast the ice is good ice this year and hope the snow stays away. I did see two wheelers out on shoe last night. A little early for me to push that yet. Good luck fishing to everyone!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Friend checked a small lake in the W Metro and it had 4-5in all the way across.   Its supposed to be pushing 40 degs Fri/Sun/Mon, so be careful out there!! 

• Thanks 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN
On 12/16/2020 at 12:14 PM, Eyechasher said:

New to the sight, so figured I would start with what I have been finding for ice where I have been fishing. On the chain I have been finding around 4 1/2”-6” of ice. But there are spots that you still have to use caution around yet. Atleast the ice is good ice this year and hope the snow stays away. I did see two wheelers out on shoe last night. A little early for me to push that yet. Good luck fishing to everyone!

Welcome to the site glad to see you here  post away ! I see we are neighbors do we know each other? If not shoot me a PM I fish the heck out of this area and maybe we can team up sometime!

• l Love It 1

Hey Icehawk! Yes we do know each other, whenever my brothers pesky dog “bear” runs away he always seems to end up at your house? guessing you know who I am now. Been following on here for awhile just never posted, figured it was time to start an account and join in.

• Thumbs Up 2

Welcome bud yes I do! Great to see a great stick ice head like yourself join and onboard.. ? Looking forward to seeing some reports and pics of eyes from you!  I know you usally are on them! You will add some great expertise on walleye fishing and the chain.  Yah Bear always stops over to have a visit and say HI to my two labs ?

• l Love It 1

I will try my best to help out and give some insight where I can. But a lot of you guys that have been fishing a lot longer then I have been will still

be able to teach me quite a bit also. Everyday I learn something new is a success! Yes I have been chasing eyes pretty hard out here again this year, it has been a struggles to stay on consistently nice fish like most years. Can go out most times and catch atleast 8-10 fish but one or two

might be over the 15” mark. But I guess if you look at it, they are our future fish which is still nice to see them. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

On Coon lake walked out 1/4 mile off shore finding 6" ice consistantly with in the 21 FOW area. Bite very slow. Marking lots. 5" Ice along shoreline. 

20201219_105254.thumb.jpg.e3a75cd9c01e19caf8cae73a15259f56.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

Tried Crow Wing south of Brainerd last night.  Pretty light crappie bite.  We had 9-10 inches pretty consistent.  Plenty of wheeler and sled noise and it’s just going to ramp up going forward with people putting out small wheelhouses and their hard sides.

I expect the gates to open big time the day after Christmas.  I made the decision to head to Ely for New Year’s weekend if it’s not too cold.  Might find some peace and quiet. ?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

22 hours ago, smurfy said:

Depends on when?

Wife and I should be hitting the road on the first when she’s ready.  Leaving the adult kids at home to have their undercover party when the ‘rents are away. ?

We’re already nort of ya though so you might have to put down a little shoe leather or burn some petrol to get to this point! ?

I should get back into putting a small group together to go up yonder.  It was good times.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 hours ago, chaffmj said:

Smurfy in Ely, there goes the neighborhood!  ?

Think you get a pic?  Sasquatch might be easier. ?

• Yayyyy 2

Out here on star some open water must have opened up out by the points. There is a lot of steam coming off the lake. I have seen a few lake in this area with open spots because of the wind.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, fishingstar said:

Out here on star some open water must have opened up out by the points. There is a lot of steam coming off the lake. I have seen a few lake in this area with open spots because of the wind.

After looking again it must have cracked over night.

Star is clear lake I remember but not if it has a lot of deep water.  The deep clear lakes always make me cautious early.

On 12/17/2020 at 6:40 PM, Eyechasher said:

Hey Icehawk! Yes we do know each other, whenever my brothers pesky dog “bear” runs away he always seems to end up at your house? guessing you know who I am now. Been following on here for awhile just never posted, figured it was time to start an account and join in.

oh oh....anudder richmond guy!!!!!!!!???

Thanks for heads up any exact location of the open area. I fish Star quite a bit and what to make a mental note in my head to avoid a catastrophe! 

Thanks for heads up any exact location of the open area. I fish Star quite a bit and what to make a mental note in my head to avoid a catastrophe! 

Was down in the Kandiyohi area and A heads up Big Kandi, Minnetaga, and parts of Elizabeth have some open areas as of the other day. Big Kandi the worst big section open around the rock spine on the island. 6 inches ice real close to open area  so use extreme caution venturing out there. 

• Thumbs Up 1