• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Martin Lake has 8, maybe 9 inches of ice. There’s some slush out there, will probably be an issue when it warms up in a couple days.

Lots of vehicles parking on the ice at the access on Forest Lake. Even seen a small pickup out at one of the community spots ?

Saw 4 trucks with wheel houses or skid houses out on the south side of first lake. I measured 10 inches of ice in most places but that seems a little thing to be pulling a yetti with a silverado like one guy was doing. 

13 - 14 inches of ice on Shags in Ely.  12 was the least I found in a slush pocket.  Slush isn’t bad from the little I’ve seen.  About 7-8 inches of powder snow on the lake.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

When I went to test out the lite flight yesterday the ice was 7-9 inches but I did find an area that had maybe 6 under a drift. 

My dad went fishing up north of here today so I will report how much ice he finds.

Well my dad just called and they found 16 inches of ice and have 3 nice crappies and 8 gills in the bucket so far. 

• Thumbs Up 1

was out on clear south of Watkins last night. there was 11" there and about 100 houses in the area that we were in.

when we put are house  we were all by are self. We have moved hopefully there will be less traffic. 

Crazy to see trucks driving all over Forest Lake, while I fished Quamba and Baxter Lakes (both much smaller, and very shallow), and only had between 7 and 9 inches of ice. Quamba was a slushy mess! The slush on Baxter was frozen up.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JBMasterAngler said:

Crazy to see trucks driving all over Forest Lake

You can't stop people from being lazy or stupid.  Its pretty clear that the recommended minimum ice thickness for even attempting to go on a lake in the winter is 4 inches on foot, and at least 12 for a vehicle.  Its something I just can't figure out either JB.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait until the first one drives out on blue I found 5 inches out there in an area. Scary ? 

• Wow, ❤ 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Checked out a handful of lakes today. Forest Lake #2 and #3 are about 95% iced over, with as much as 1 inch of ice. A guy pulled into the launch with his boat 😁 When I drove back later, he wasn’t there. But as I drove to access #2, he had tried launching there, and was currently trying to get get his boat back on his trailer, as he realized it wasn’t going to work.

Goose Lakes was about 99% iced over, but only had about 1/4 inch of ice. Bone Lakes was about 80% covered with skim ice. And the north end of Big Marine was about 90% ice covered with skin ice as well.

• Thumbs Up 3

Little Elk In Zimmerman had a few guys out fishing today. Ice thickness is unknown as I was getting gifts for the wife. 

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 2

Went and checked little elk and Baxter 3-3.25 inches about 8 feet off shore. I did not go past that as I don’t want to fall in again. I need 5 inches to feel ok and it will be some time before gets there unless it gets cold soon. Let’s pray for no snow. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Does little elk one of those with multiple names I can't seem to find it on google maps. looking to get on some early ice tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Austin12345 said:

Does little elk one of those with multiple names I can't seem to find it on google maps. looking to get on some early ice tomorrow.

Google  little elk road east 

Edited by monstermoose78

Coon lake Anoka Co. 95% locked except for narrow strip from Lexinhyon drainage ditch toward flagpole point. Several 100 swans/geese keeping it open. The ice ridge 30 ft off shore next to broken lce will most likely pose early ice access issues.  1/2 dozen Youngins fishing the channel said ice was 3 to 3 1/2". 

20211127_153213.thumb.jpg.98f4d981b8d56e89ca45f0d43d6b266d.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Mike89 said:

is that where you live MM?

No I live in Princeton. I googled it that’s where it brought me.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.