• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

While on my way home from work this morning, I seen that Peltier Lake was frozen over. Clear Lake was probably 99% froze over...looked like a couple random little open spots from geese. To my surprise, Forest Lake was completely iced over. Someone was still busting through ice and duck hunting though. This is very encouraging, as I was hoping to hit the ice this weekend, somewhere north of Hinckley. Tonight’s low is supposed to be in upper teens. Anyone else see other lakes?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Probably not duck hunting as it closed on Sunday. If we can stay cold at night I will go check my first ice spots, but they just locked up Monday night. I will check in a day or two. 

Edited by monstermoose78

Not in the central Minnesota it closed on Sunday. Otherwise I would be duck hunting today 

Well, I just searched it quick. But anyway, I could care less about hunting seasons.

Stopped at the #2 access on Forest to check it out. The ice is maybe 1.25 inches. Was pretty cool watching the little baby sunnies zipping around right underneath the ice.

Overnight lows in Pine County still look promising. So my early ice spots should be a go this weekend. 

There is 3 inches out a to 3 feet of water on a lake that I normally hit first. With that said there was open water on Sunday With swans swimming. I did not go towards where the open water was. 

I from the white bear lake/hugo area and the bigger ponds around us me and my buddies hit first in the year are about 2 and a half and three we were walking on some and drilling some holes it was a little to sketchy for my liking might have to wait a little bit longer to fish them effetively 

• I Like it 1

4 minutes ago, Austin12345 said:

I from the white bear lake/hugo area and the bigger ponds around us me and my buddies hit first in the year are about 2 and a half and three we were walking on some and drilling some holes it was a little to sketchy for my liking might have to wait a little bit longer to fish them effetively 

Good plan

Didn’t stop to check ice thickness, but there were a couple guys ice fishing on Forest this morning. Didn’t see anyone on Clear, but there were 3 vehicles in parking lot, possibly just checking ice or getting ready to head out. Anyone have any reports on the Chisago chain?

On 12/5/2020 at 10:16 AM, JBMasterAngler said:

Didn’t stop to check ice thickness, but there were a couple guys ice fishing on Forest this morning. Didn’t see anyone on Clear, but there were 3 vehicles in parking lot, possibly just checking ice or getting ready to head out. Anyone have any reports on the Chisago chain?

I was one of the people out of Forest yesterday. Only 2.5 to 3 inches most spots so I wouldn't get hopes up that it lasts through this weeks weather.  

I drove around and checked the ice on Goose, Bone, and Big Marine. Yeah, maxed out at about 3 inches right at the launch. Looked like someone tried to drive an ATV onto Bone, because the ice was completely broken through at the ramp. Big Marine had some open water by the north access, and the ice was starting to melt away from the shoreline.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be driving around to check ice Friday night before the weekend but at this rate it's looking like another week of staring at the gear in the garage wondering what else I "need" for the season.  

• Thumbs Up 2

#2 access on Forest Lake is toast! Looks like someone tried to drive on with an ATV and broke through. It refroze, but not thick enough to walk on. By the end of today, will probably be open water. I’ve already pulled the plug on going ice fishing this weekend.

Some people really are that special I guess.  I couldn't even imagine thinking that is a good idea.  I'm still planning my drive around after work tomorrow to see if there is walkable ice anywhere near Forest but my hopes are much lower now that the weather folks weren't wrong about yesterday.  

Any new information out there

Looks like people are walking on clear lake just about everywhere but I haven't been out to check ice myself. Haven't seen any wheelers yet. 

Checked ice this weekend on clear and forest with a spud bar, 3 1/2-4” solid clear ice 200 yards from shore on both so I’m sure foot traffic is all good by now.

Thanks for all the information, this is great. Sounds like I am safe to try Forest Lake 1 tomorrow? (and by safe, I mean it's never safe but it holds a human being).

Edited by Jughead

Just bring the spud bar and check as you go.  I found spots on Forest last weekend that were 1 hit with the spud bar so I can't say that everything is good but Monday and Tuesday were awful cold so I would guess most of the lake will be okay for foot travel. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Well said a spud bar, ice picks, whistle, throw rope, flotation suit are a ice fisherman's most important tools early ice!

checked a couple lakes on the way to princeton  today and was kinda surprised at the thickness didn't bring the tape measure and used a hammer but i would say 6+ on the bigger lake and 8 or so on the smaller one both within 30 yards of the launch

• Thumbs Up 1

Little Lake had 6.25 inches, but did not mark 1 single fish throughout entire lake! Was on Goose Lake in Scandia today, had 5 inches. 

I was right at 6 inches on Forest everywhere I checked. Crossing the pressure ridge between lake 1 and 2 was interesting with a lot of standing water on top of it in spots so I would be a little careful around that. Did see quite a few ATVs scooting around as well. 

Gave pokegama in Pine City a try today. Lots of powdery snow on the lake. Pretty much all the slush spots are frozen. Ice was just shy of 10 inches.

I was on blue today and found 6-8 inches.