• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Abu Garcia Pro Max Review

whateverisbiting

Question

I have been wanting to try a baitcasting reel but did not know where to start.  I have used them quite a bit, but never for casting, only trolling.  There was a post on the revo rocket that got me started to take action.  Plus something more to play with as we Physical Distance.

The rocket was too expensive just to try so in looking at reviews the Abu Garcia Black Max was often cited as a great intro model so that is what I thought I would get.  At Fleet Farm I saw them and next to them I saw the Abu Garcia Pro Max which had a similar design, but was slightly more expensive with a higher gear ratio and more ball bearings.  I did not buy it right away and actually saw it at Wal-Mart $10 cheaper so I got it there (never thought I would be buying gear at Wal-Mart.

I paired it with 12# Trilene XL (said to be better for beginners than braid) and a medium action 6'6" ugly stick GX2. 

Watched a couple videos how to set the drag.  Was very worried about backlash based on the other reels I had used.  I was completely amazed that my first cast was perfect, but I set the brakes tight and the cast was not very far.  I kept backing off the brakes until I started seeing a little extra line come off the reel on the cast then moved it back a little tighter.  No problems casting I am hooked I love it!

Thought this might be useful for anyone thinking about it since almost everything I see is from experienced users. 

Question for the experienced users...once I get comfortable with this, is there any reason to go more expensive?

4 answers to this question

Howdy there. I have owned many Abu black max reels they are low end quality work very well until the bearings get bad it seems to happen overnight after a cleaning and lube job some get better some don't. If I needed a quick cheap outfit for a trip etc. I would not hesitate to get one. They have served me well. Should you get a more expensive reel? It's up to you. Day in day out I like a very light reel as some days I may go 7-8 hours with rods in hand. I have found that the cheaper ones wear out quicker the drags are usually not the best as the mag brakes also. With that said I have 3 Abu revo SX reels and a Daiwa 100 tatula this has the new don't set the tension spool knob I like it but am used to setting the tension knob it's loose if you ask me but casts a mile. It is a learning curve on bait casters I did not fish until older honestly the spinning reel took me more time to master I know odd. The bait caster came as a dream to me. You may find as well which hand retrieve you like for me I use the left hand retrieve. I'm left handed but cast right handed. I acquired a Bass pro shop bait cast combo for a gift right hand retrieve it works well but I prefer the Left hand retrieve the right is nice to switch it up as my shoulders and hands are starting to get a lot of wear and tear from casting a lot. I would feel later as you get used to the bait casters go up in price I would say 100 bucks should get a good one. The most I paid is for the Tatula $150 that was with gift cards though. I don't want to start a fight/debate but I would stay away from Shimano reels not the best customer service and never owned 1 casting reel that worked well from them. Braid works the best for me another trick while learning is to cast out the lure then strip about 3-4 handfuls of line put a piece of electrical tape on the spool wind back up if you backlash it shouldn't go deeper than the tape. Hope this helps and by the way enjoy your Black max I got my biggest bass on one.

Edited by mrpike1973
  • Thanks 1

Thanks very helpful!  I did see mixed reviews on durability but never can tell since mostly people review when they are upset.

I was on the dock and have yet to cast from a boat and I think i will have a bit more trouble with the movement getting the right accuracy and distance with more distractions to pay attention to but I am willing to put in the time!  Put the boat in the water this weekend and the water pump impeller crumbled out of it so I have to replace it.  Serves me right for not proactively changing it I think it has been a decade!  My handed-ness is goofy so I am basically ambidextrous...mostly write and eat with the left but everything else right...reel handle on the right but I tried casting with either thumb on the reel and it was pretty much the same.  I am going to like the quick turnaround on getting the lure in the boat and back on the next fishy looking spot.

• Thumbs Up 1

Being ambidextrous is fun isn't it?. I cast right, baseball bat left, hand throw right, write either hand the same. Shovel left handed. Oh well it is fun! Sorry to hear about your motor problems hopefully a quick cheap fix.

Edited by mrpike1973

It is a $13 part not a big deal.  Bigger deal is getting the part had to order it.