• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Can anyone tell me why spearing of Pike is so rampant on Kab.? For a chain of Lakes that needs positive reports I don't understand the need to spear Pike in the winter. Seems to me trophy Pike fishing in the open water would bring far more tourism dollars than spearing in the winter.

• l Love It 2

3 hours ago, dutchboyII said:

Can anyone tell me why spearing of Pike is so rampant on Kab.? For a chain of Lakes that needs positive reports I don't understand the need to spear Pike in the winter. Seems to me trophy Pike fishing in the open water would bring far more tourism dollars than spearing in the winter.

The spearing up there has been going on for years and years , nothing new up there whatsoever.. I totally agree dutchboyll that having a trophy destination in open water makes a lot more sense, in fact big time more sense. Many trophy size fish come out of Kab and many other bodies of water on the end a spear . Personally I think spearing should be eliminated totally, how do you call it a sport ?   I’ve been a lifetime reader of outdoor news Paper and growing up back in early seventies I know that they wouldn’t even print a pic of a speared fish , not sure about these days if that’s still a policy of theirs or not though , but offhand I don’t recall seeing such a fish pic in their publication .  I’m sure that the state gets some revenue from selling spearing licenses but should  think twice about it and eliminate it totally... just my opinion on this subject . 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

first don't knock it till you try it....  most spearers now days are not going for the big girls...  and yes Outdoor News was the way you say back then.. but today if you really read it there are speared pike in there...    and that is just my thoughts...   

• Thumbs Up 2

I have tried it.

The selective harvest thing doesn't quite fly when I can stand at Gateway and look at photos of all the fish speared. Unless every fish in Kab. is trophy size nobody (or very few) are passing up the big fish. 

I guess my biggest problem is it's year after year these fish are being taken yet people complain about the size falling. Maybe go on a rotation where spearing is allowed every 3 years instead of every year. Just confusing that the DNR is trying to grow trophy fish through regulations yet spearing is still permitted on trophy waters.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

16 hours ago, Mike89 said:

first don't knock it till you try it....  most spearers now days are not going for the big girls...  and yes Outdoor News was the way you say back then.. but today if you really read it there are speared pike in there...    and that is just my thoughts...   

been there done that 40 years ago , once . Saw some small fish that day nothing large , watched a buddy throw and miss , and also watched him connect on a 3-4 pounder tops , and really it just never seamed like a real sport to watch it happen and never went again . My passion is a rod and reel and believe me I was practicing catch and release way before most .When you state most people who spear these days are not going for the big pike , just curious if this is your opinion or a fact ?  Also would like to ask you if indeed you would pass up a large pike if it came through?   I can only assume you spear by your first don’t knock it till you try it statement, maybe it’s just support to the ones that do , but if you do spear what’s your biggest you have harpooned ? Have you ever had a opportunity to harpoon and passed it up because it was to large or of trophy size ? 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bigfatbert, yes I do spear fish, not often but I enjoy it when I do..  have I passed on large fish, heck yes!!  my largest was from back when I started and was about 14 pounds...  today a 4 to 5 pounder is more than enough for me...  I respect your thoughts and passions too..  that is what life is about...  I can remember many times sitting in my spear shack just watching and never touching the spear, and yes I could have...  my form of catch and release you see..  it is just fun to watch...  and yes there are "sportsman" out there that will stab any northern that is dumb enough to swim by...  I do not care for that at all..  I'm not trying to set up a pissing match here either and I don't think you are either..  and it sounds to me like we both grew up in the same era...  so we have both seen some stupid stuff and some darn good stuff..  so we all try to promote for the better...  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dutchboyII said:

I have tried it.

The selective harvest thing doesn't quite fly when I can stand at Gateway and look at photos of all the fish speared. Unless every fish in Kab. is trophy size nobody (or very few) are passing up the big fish. 

I guess my biggest problem is it's year after year these fish are being taken yet people complain about the size falling. Maybe go on a rotation where spearing is allowed every 3 years instead of every year. Just confusing that the DNR is trying to grow trophy fish through regulations yet spearing is still permitted on trophy waters.

Hey Dutchboyll I gave you a nice red heart on each of your posts above . Yes the trophy fish by regulations yet spearing is still allowed is a very confusing scenario. Your thoughts make sense but unfortunately our DNR doesn’t always make sense , can you say $$$$$$.$$ , yes sadly enough money , the root of all evil , comes before common sense , wildlife biologic sense , very misleading to many that they strive for proper management and want all of us to be able to engage in our sport  now and down the road . 
I personally have spoke to a area fisheries district  manager about my thoughts on some of the crazy things the state  has implemented as their way of doing business so to speak , with wildlife management and his answer to me was “ ya I totally agree with your thoughts , I then asked then why are things not different then , he then said that he has to answer to higher ups , who unfortunately have higher ups ,also . Kinda paints a sad but true picture .

maybe this should have been titled the anti spearing thread!!??

I live and breathe spear chucking...….you will have one heck of a fight trying to eliminating it from me. your guys fantasy about everyone spearing all the big fish are outdated. its legal ad I intend to hopefully keep it that way.

and I never speared a fish this year!!!!!! for every fish I spear I let many swim, and yes I would let a big ole momma swim on.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Its called Tradition something many of us grew up doing and watched our for fathers do it as we grew up. .Les Kouba Knew  it hence why he has paintings related to it!  In fact I own a few.  In my area I would say well over 3/4 of the guys I personally know that are fisherman including myself speared back in the day. Do I anymore no,  reason I'm to dedicated of ice angler now to put in my full honest effort to the sport . I will tell you the excitement of having pike float in or attack your decoy is a adrenaline rush at its best. Like Mike said Until you've done it you cant knock it.  I miss the smell of a gas stove the peacefulness of staring on that dark hole for sure! Most guys that are true spearfisherman do it for sport and for table fare. A Northern is a excellent eating fish for sure it just gets a bad rap sometimes . Are big fish being taken yes and no depends whos behind the spear. I will admit I think spear fisherman are a dying breed. New  philosophy's of catch and release etc are starting to gain ground all the time. Am I against it heck NO I know the allure of it for sure  in fact sometimes I miss it. But for right now I'm more into CPR big pike because I get more of a thrill watching a youngster or someone else have a chance to catch it. 4 years ago In late Oct  on the Horseshoe Chain I caught a 42 inch pike fishing eyes a little over 20 lbs. I measured weighed and released her back. Boy did I get a bunch of flack from some of the locals. Should of mounted it. Yes maybe but I've caught a few at that range before so saw no reason to kill it. Its all about the guy behind the spear that dictates  if a fish lives swims or lays on the ice. 

Catch and release is great as it indeed puts fish back to be caught and released , at least most of the time , but a fish hanging on the end of a spear surely ain’t going back in for you , myself , a youngster ,or nobody else for that matter .  I’m surly not against harvest to eat , but most don’t eat a trophy size fish either.  It’s 2020 and just because it’s a tradition as stated above , it  doesn’t mean things should not be adjusted  .

• Thumbs Up 2

I’m surly not against harvest to eat , but most don’t eat a trophy size fish either.  It’s 2020 and just because it’s a tradition as stated above , it  doesn’t mean things should not be adjusted  .

isn't that another way of saying make it illegal???  

• Thumbs Up 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

How many times do people have to say or post that its all up to a individual with spear at hand before you to realize it!  Does everyone that fishes rod and reel release all there pike> Heck no I've watched many boats go by with stringers of pike dragging along. Many spear fisherman enjoy the tranquility of sitting in a dark house. Its a rather relaxing stress free time to ponder ones thoughts.  Not everyone harpoons every fish they see. Maybe you should accept that or at least give some the benefit of the doubt!    Yes there are some that probably do that's not deniable. It's a lot like deer hunting a sit and wait approach. Not every deer hunter is a trophy hunter like me  some just like the process sport of it and the meat. Same as someone spearing smaller pike for table fare. Do we or I judge a hunter for what he shoots maybe a small fork horn etc. Not at all it's there given right to as just as spearing is. I have CPR more big walleyes over 28 inches and a few big pike over 20 lbs  then many have. Its what I choose to do. I've got plenty on the wall and replicas and pics so at this point so I practice other standards and that's CPR. Not everyone is that fortunate to get out or have the ability to go as often as I and others do so let them enjoy the moments they have.  Who are we to say what a trophy is. For some a trophy is a 10 pound pike and if he wants to spear that and is proud and will put it to use or mount it  go for it. He pays for his license and follows the rules he should be allowed to a enjoy his sport as I enjoy mine rod reel angling.  In your eyes things need to be adjusted  maybe so and I respect you for that but I honestly think you need to realize where others come from also and adjust to that! 

Edited by IceHawk
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

28 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

Bigfatbert, yes I do spear fish, not often but I enjoy it when I do..  have I passed on large fish, heck yes!!  my largest was from back when I started and was about 14 pounds...  today a 4 to 5 pounder is more than enough for me...  I respect your thoughts and passions too..  that is what life is about...  I can remember many times sitting in my spear shack just watching and never touching the spear, and yes I could have...  my form of catch and release you see..  it is just fun to watch...  and yes there are "sportsman" out there that will stab any northern that is dumb enough to swim by...  I do not care for that at all..  I'm not trying to set up a pissing match here either and I don't think you are either..  and it sounds to me like we both grew up in the same era...  so we have both seen some stupid stuff and some darn good stuff..  so we all try to promote for the better...  

ok I will go with what you said  and applaud your being selective these days to your harvest , good for you !   I understand   those eating their catch also  , yes pike can make great table fare , I personally enjoy pickled pike .How about putting a maximum size limit on a speared pike making trophies off limits , just a thought.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lotta good posts and opinions on this thread.  A while ago there was a similar one that I commented on.  I am not going to paint everyone with a broad brush because its just not true, and people who have commented on it indicate that.

I do believe that it is dying out.  The data in terms of spearing licenses sold reflects that.  It used to have about 50,000 participants 20 years ago and its down to just over 10,000 now.  The math says its losing participants.  Plus, lets be honest, how many spearers are of a younger generation (under 30 yrs of age)?  Very few in my opinion.  The ones I know of are all my Father's age in his mid 60's (or older).

I do think that the C&R ethic is gaining traction, especially with species of fish that we know are in decline in terms of quality size (pike in this subject, and there are other threads about sunfish and crappies specifically).  A big pike these days is classified as 30+ inches by the DNR.  These fish are rare.  A 35 or 40 incher is a very rare fish nowadays.  Some of the bigger lakes still have some gators but for the most part our lakes are loaded with small aggressive snakes that no one really wants to harvest with regularity (this is why the daily bag limit in most of the state is now 10, and all but 9 have to be under 22 inches).  I think pike is pretty good if you pickle it, but cleaning them is a complete slimy mess.  Its like a bad sinus infection.

I personally think that spearing should still be banned on designated muskie lakes.  I'm sure most spearers can tell the difference between a pike and a muskie, but some can't.  And if some can't, then its not worth the risk.  There's plenty of lakes that don't have muskies anyways.  I'm a muskie angler so hearing or seeing of someone who "accidentially" speared a muskie angers me greatly.  If you are one of the few spearers left out there, please let big foot swim away.  Harvest all you want of the 21 inchers.  In fact, I encourage it.

37 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

I’m surly not against harvest to eat , but most don’t eat a trophy size fish either.  It’s 2020 and just because it’s a tradition as stated above , it  doesn’t mean things should not be adjusted  .

isn't that another way of saying make it illegal???  

Ok  , my fault , I should of said “adjusted in one way or another.”

Yes I see people in the cleaning houses cleaning large Pike also. What they have in common with Spearing is that 100% of the fish are dead. If I catch (2) 36" plus Pike and keep one and release one I've killed 50%. If I release both i've killed 0. (assuming a successful release)

But I've strayed.........the thread was about spearing on Kab. where you have the same people sticking Trophy after Trophy, year after year. Everybody up there knows who it is. IMO he is a ......................well I can't think of the appropriate word.

If somebody wants to spear and has a license, I have no problem with it. However I have watched for years a total disregard for large fish on Kab.

I view spearing the same as hunting...... there is no catch and release for another day.

• Thumbs Up 2

there sure is dutchy......its not throwing the spear..or pulling the trigger...…… pretty easy to me. don't assume the actions of one or several individuals and make the assumption everyone does it!!!!!!!?

• Thumbs Up 1

and as smurfy is saying one bad apple can ruin a whole bushel....  there will always be the one who says I deserve it...  and we have those in all walks of life...  use this corvid thing right now, folks are taking and hoarding so much that others are suffering....  but enough on that..  I think at the moment we can agree to disagree without a any hard feelings...

There are only 2 guys in the whole wide inter-web where I take things personally. I don't like them, they don't like me. Neither guy resides here. So we are good.  ?

Seriously, it's only opinions here. You are entitled to yours, I'm entitled to mine and Joe Blow can have his.  ?

• Yayyyy 1
  • l Love It 1

11 minutes ago, dutchboyII said:

There are only 2 guys in the whole wide inter-web where I take things personally. I don't like them, they don't like me. Neither guy resides here. So we are good.  ?

Seriously, it's only opinions here. You are entitled to yours, I'm entitled to mine and Joe Blow can have his.  ?

dang, I was getting a bit worried there for a bit, till you said they don't reside here, but.i do reside other places!!!!!??

• Yayyyy 1

Dutch Boy 11 I'm not sure if anyone welcomed you yet. We got into such a debate LOL! We all forgot to Welcome you to FM. Welcome! Glad to see you on board sure you will bring some great insight to FM. Are you the same Dutch Boy from another local ? ?

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, my flag fly's other places.   ?   Hope that doesn't make a mark against me.  ?

18 minutes ago, dutchboyII said:

Yes, my flag fly's other places.   ?   Hope that doesn't make a mark against me.  ?

Not at All your always welcome!? Have read many of your posts. Looking forward to your interaction feedback. We need guys like you here that are frequent contributors ?

19 minutes ago, smurfy said:

Icehawk, I already pegged him!??

LOL! 

Edited by IceHawk
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, dutchboy II said:

flags are always welcome!!!  My 4 years in the Marine Corps says so!!! LOL!!!

Edited by Mike89
  • Thumbs Up 1