• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wigwam-Adrians road

I’m trying to throw a last-minute ice fishing trip together for my kids. Will be their first time to Lake of the Woods. Looking at the weekend of the 14th and 15th. Any of you guys have any opinions as to how the ice road/lake condition is now compared to the weather forecast-and what my chances look like for a decent road at that time. I know no one can tell the future but just looking for any educated guesses since you guys are the experts. What are my chances the roads still look good in 11 days. Thanks everyone!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Welcome to FM @Ringneck.

How did you get that name. Good one.

Hopefully someone will be along soon to help. Please come back after your trip and share your pics...along with your story. Good luck sir!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

One more thing...based on experience..you should be able to find somewhere to go in that time frame. Might have to head west from where the Rainy comes in but good fishing should be available on the ice.

The Baudette extended forecast isn't exactly a  heat wave, there is only one day of 40's forecast in the next ten days, and lots of nighttime teens.  I am going up the 16th and really don't foresee any problems. I'll be a bit further west, but I have been there every year along about that time for the last few years. If it gets really warm over a few days, and there is a quick melt, the roads can flood inside the plow-banks and get really messy. Not sure how you plan to travel, but keep an eye on the Baudette temps, and speak to the resorts on the river, they always have very timely and accurate information.  If you are going out with a resort that runs Bombers, you should be OK. Another option may be to go somewhere like Morris Point, they are on the main lake, and you don't need to utilize the river or 4 mile Bay to get to the main lake, you can almost walk out from there.

Good luck !!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys. We are going out of Wigwam. I searched for a resort that gave a deal to the kids coming since I’ll be bringing my two 8 year olds and don’t want to break the bank on this quick trip. For the past few years we’ve been going up to the angle on our annual guys trip but that’s too far of a drive for the kids. Will already be coming 6 1/2 hours as it is. I tried to book something out of zipple bay so they could see the igloo but they didn’t have anything available for the timeframe we were looking. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Ringneck - Sounds like you have a cabin with a day house or a sleeper arranged.  I'd think if you are working through an outfitter that they will be ensuring your safety.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Real time info: road is really rough but bless the workers they are doing their best. Large slush pockets and holes forming. There is a bridge over a heave about 12.5/13 miles out that is caving in on one side causing a hole big enough to drop a truck tire in; had to help pull a rig out of it. All of the resort houses are beyond this bridge. I did speak to a few workers that said they are pulling houses in much closer and some off beginning this weekend. Only spot I could find to get the wheel house off the road is about 4.5/5 miles beyond pine island in about 26 FOW; the road banks are just too high. Drove all the way to garden only to get stuck and spent two hours shoveling my rig out just to come all the way back across the lake. Fishing is slow but marking fishing regularly. Best of luck Ringneck!

• Thumbs Up 2

Well that doesn’t sound very good for our chances of making it out on the 15th. Bummer.

Even if you are staying at the Wiggy, and going out on your own, you could still consider going to a main lake access like Morris Point, and getting on from there.  You eliminate lots of bad road that way. If the Wigwam is still running bombers, they should be able to get you out. 

Hope you are ale to put it all together. 

• l Love It 1

I guess we will see what happens in the next week. I’m just hoping with it getting cold at night the day temperatures won’t deteriorate things too badly. If it gets to that point maybe another resort still has a good road and a day shack open. Then we may just keep our rooms At wigwam and we could always drive to get on the ice somewhere else and fish in another resorts day shacks if they have anything open. Hopefully it’ll all work out-the kids are pretty excited ? 

• I Like it 1

Talked to an Adrians plow guy today who said they are thinking next weekend will be it for the plowed road; banks are high and too many slush pockets forming. Had high winds and snow overnight which made today’s move very difficult. Fish activity has increased this afternoon all 12-14” saugers but at least the lines are tight. Did manage a 28” snot rocket which surprised me out in 27 ft. Lots of rigs coming up/out today

• Thanks 1

Well I chickened out a little bit and did a bunch of rearranging this morning and worked it out so we are going to go this weekend instead of next just to be safe. Once I started talking about it the kids are pretty excited for their first Lake of the Woods trip and they get to see the hockey Hall of Fame so they’re pumped about that. I figured I better be on the safe side and guarantee some fishing instead of taking the chance of getting everything canceled last minute! 

• I Like it 1

We are heading up next weekend but going out of Long Pointe.  Their roads always seem to be a little more manageable. A little less traffic and they don't go as far out as the pine island area.

Things will warm up this weekend, then refreeze next week leading up to another thaw.

• Thanks 1

For those up this weekend, how are the roads and ice condition? Am planning trip next weekend. 

Road was really rough mid week but now is slushy after the heat and intense sun yesterday. Still plenty of ice. Can’t say how the access is at this point.

• Thanks 1

We fished Sunday and Monday out of wigwam. Wigwams road is in great shape. Far better than I expected. I’ve seen worse roads mid winter. They have pulled most shacks back and are fishing 1 to 7 miles past Pine Island. We fished out approx 6 miles on Sunday and did ok. Very few walleye. Mostly all sauger, lots of stink fish (tullibee), and a bonus 28” pout that put up an awesome fight for on of the kids (and of course tasted amazing). Monday we tried out approx 7 miles in the AM and did really poorly. For the afternoon we lived in to approx 3 miles out and still pretty slow. Again most all sauger with just a few little walleye. I think Monday was more wether related than location. Overall not a bad trip for the kids. Enough action to keep them interested but glad we packed the ipad/kindles too;) Wish we could have got them on a few decent walleyes. Always next year!

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

As of yesterday, it sounded as though they are letting out 1/2 tons trucks, with no wheelhouses.

Atv/UTV with up to 18ft houses are a go.

Road out to about 28ft.

Some thin ice area beyond end of road so no travel past the end.

This is consistent with wigwam and Adrian's roads.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any word on Zipple Bay roads yet? I heard they only let out 1/2 ton trucks and no wheelhouses yet either..

On 12/31/2020 at 12:01 PM, ANYFISH2 said:

As of yesterday, it sounded as though they are letting out 1/2 tons trucks, with no wheelhouses.

Atv/UTV with up to 18ft houses are a go.

Road out to about 28ft.

Some thin ice area beyond end of road so no travel past the end.

This is consistent with wigwam and Adrian's roads.

Here that adrians is allowing 1/2 ton trucks towing up to 21 ft houses not counting tounge. Road out to 4 miles. Anyone here different?