• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Garmin panoptix

tackleguy

2700.00$ minimum up to 3600.00$ for top tier. Outside of that the units are nice for ice fishing and for open water. For open water if you do more bow fishing with a trolling motor you'll really like it. For tiller operations you transducer is below the bottom of the boat, which I don't like

Edited by Kettle
  • Thanks 1

You can attach the "ducer" to a stick type system to not have to attach to a trolling motor or to the back of the boat.  Certainly from my little research is that you go Garmin over Lowrance since they are using Garmin technology from 10+ years ago.  I have seen the Lowrance in use and only videos of the Garmin and also friends that have used Garmin and Lowrance and they tell me Garmin hands down over Lowrance...

Good Luck and report back if you pick up the unit and let us know your thoughts!  I hope to purchase a boat in the near future and that is a must have on any boat purchase I make.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

For the money, is it really worth it? I used one a few weeks back. Great unit but for a few bucks over, let say a Helix 7 or even a Vexilar, you could make a mount for a transducer and use it in the same fashion. Just not with the "pretty" real time picture of the fish.

I've been conjuring up an idea to do just that with a Vex. Been buried with work at the shop lately and don't have an open machine to start turning the parts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

From what I have heard and seen...if ya got the cash it is worth it!  To each their own, but would be a nice tool to have! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ozzie said:

You can attach the "ducer" to a stick type system to not have to attach to a trolling motor or to the back of the boat. 

Definitely true but takes some tinkering around.  I've always been a tiller guy so it would be hard to decide which way I would want to mount it.  I also think I would need a lot more time with a unit to fully appreciate it.  In the winter having it down facing was really nice to see fishing coming in from the side.  

• Thanks 1

PapaDarv,  Your ingenuity and fabrication skills are nothing short of amazing!  After seeing this and the lightweight snowmobile you manufactured I am speechless!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Papadarv,

All the folks at the 'Possum Lodge salute you!    "If they don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy..."

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, DonkeyHodey said:

Papadarv,

All the folks at the 'Possum Lodge salute you!    "If they don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy..."

Love Red-Green only I moved It up a notch. Now use Multi Color Gorilla, get an extra day or two of use.

@Getanet Thanks, Hoping for Far-Far, grandma was 104, Mom 96, Dad 90. Heard on TV yesterday, "The Best is Yet to Come" - I'm working on it.

Edited by papadarv
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, papadarv said:

Right on, works well. Saw the $3000 Bird 360 several years ago, thought my $150. ShowDown Troller could do same thing. Called it a T-Stick made from PVC pipe, threaded shaft an  a few other parts. ShowDown has 120' range but with a 20 deg. Ducer at 26' coverage @ 75' provides about a 50 yard effective circle of view. If the ShowSown bars move its alive at the horizontal recorded range. 2 years ago my son got a Vex FL28, 9 deg cone that has 24' coverage at 150' so I built second Gen 2 T- Stick to accommodate the FL28, & my Show down. Effective circle is 100 yards with the Vex. I changed the Vert. to Horz. drive to Worm Gear to achieve full movement in 5 turns from 25 turns on the sccrew shaft drive. Reduced hole hopping holes drilled from 40 to 4 or 5.

Similar to what I had in mind other than I was imagining a manual angle adjustment in 12 degree increments (12 degree 'ducer) and extensions to add for thicker ice. I was also planning on a permanent mount for the ducer which I would epoxy into place.

Great minds think alike. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Papadarv  your creativity and ingenuity blows me away hats off to you well done!

• Thanks 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
On 2/6/2020 at 5:03 PM, Dave S said:

For the money, is it really worth it? I used one a few weeks back. Great unit but for a few bucks over, let say a Helix 7 or even a Vexilar, you could make a mount for a transducer and use it in the same fashion. Just not with the "pretty" real time picture of the fish.

I've been conjuring up an idea to do just that with a Vex. Been buried with work at the shop lately and don't have an open machine to start turning the parts.

We did it back in the day with our flashers mounting the transducer on a broom stick, putting it below the ice on a near 90 degree angle and turning in.  It worked with a lot shorter range but could cover an additional 30-50 feet around the hole.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Papadarv, you really have a knack for figuring stuff out.  Makes my set up back in the day look like a caveman did it.  ???

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1