• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

BobT

Suggestions for Portable House Skis

Question

BobT

I recently purchased an old Clam 6800 portable fish house. One of the downsides of this series is that they were not really designed to be pulled in deep snow. The shape is too boxy so it will plow snow as it is pulled. I would like to add some kind of skis to the bottom. Anyone have any suggestions where I could find something? Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 answers to this question

papadarv

You may want to take a look at the $15 Smitty Sled. They are simple built, 2 downhill snow skies, couple of riser wood blocks and cross planks to hold them together. Pic is of grandson at 12 pulling my Eskimo Hub & gear and attached to my Riding SnoDog. Find skies at flea markets, Another Mans Treasure, garage sales or tucked in the rafters of your own shed. Menards & Home Depot usually have cheap scrap wood for the frame. Google Smitty Sled for more build ideas.

20200121_131246.thumb.jpg.ce0d56e841edc7aa612dab22fa12e18d.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

BobT
18 hours ago, papadarv said:

You may want to take a look at the $15 Smitty Sled. They are simple built, 2 downhill snow skies, couple of riser wood blocks and cross planks to hold them together. Pic is of grandson at 12 pulling my Eskimo Hub & gear and attached to my Riding SnoDog. Find skies at flea markets, Another Mans Treasure, garage sales or tucked in the rafters of your own shed. Menards & Home Depot usually have cheap scrap wood for the frame. Google Smitty Sled for more build ideas.

20200121_131246.thumb.jpg.ce0d56e841edc7aa612dab22fa12e18d.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion.

• Thanks 1

BobT

This morning I found a solution. I had an old pair of cross country skis that I haven't used in 25 years. I got some 1" PVC pipe and made a frame and fastened it to the skis similar to the Smitty Sled design. Took about 1-1/2 hours to make it. Tried it out this afternoon and it worked great. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • l Love It 1

Cooperman

Bob, nice sled. How did you attach the PVC to the skis?

BobT

I used PVC end caps and fastened them using SS flathead screws and SS nuts with nylon inserts.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• banton441241
      By banton441241
      A canoe requires a “J” stroke (to compensate for paddling on one side) whereas a kayak has a balanced left and right stroke that better aids in tracking and balance. Canoe paddles are heavy. Kayak paddles are ergonomic and light!
      AND
      What is the difference between canoeing and kayaking?
    • Lane-O
      By Lane-O
      Great site! So I have an 18yrold Eskimo Baracuda with the Turbo bottom assembly .It has always ran great but that Turbo is a Beast and quite agressive . Ive had to have the flites welded 3 times over the years were the flite meets the shaft and has never seemed to make any difference on cutting . However, the last time it was welded was close to the bottom and we ddint notice that the plastic gromet that centers the Spike was melting 😳, sooo we just put it back in place
      and centered the best we could and let the plastic cool. I used it a few times after that and it cut "Alright".....But.. now it bounces around like a four year old in  a bounc-house . So my question is, is it worth it to just put in a new Spike and some new blades ? Or should I just get a new Qantum 10" bottom?

• Lane-O
      By Lane-O
      Great site! So I have an 18yrold Eskimo Baracuda with the Turbo bottom assembly .It has always ran great but that Turbo is a Beast and quite agressive . Ive had to have the flites welded 3 times over the years were the flite meets the shaft and has never seemed to make any difference on cutting . However, the last time it was welded was close to the bottom and we ddint notice that the plastic gromet that centers the Spike was melting 😳, sooo we just put it back in place
      and centered the best we could and let the plastic cool. I used it a few times after that and it cut "Alright".....But.. now it bounces around like a four year old in  a bounc-house . So my question is, is it worth it to just put in a new Spike and some new blades ? Or should I just get a new Qantum 10" bottom?

• mrpike1973
      By mrpike1973
      OK some advice here. When most of you post about catching your sunfish or crappies it's almost always on a small jig/worms/plastic set up I rarely hear about on minnows. Now before I get ahead of myself yes I know that sunfish are not noted for minnows yes occasionally but not the norm. I have tried several night bites for crappies with minnows I have caught 2 so far this winter. My question is would a dead stick with just a jig and a few spikes work better? Minnows I'm finding seem to slow me down and even though rumor has it a deadstick is the next best thing since sliced bread I'm not seeing it. Just to note I am jigging with another rod small jig with spikes generally that's what I get my pan fish on. Thanks just want some advice keep the minnows or leave the bucket behind?
    • Jdhunts
      By Jdhunts
      How do I handle water in my Marcum recon 5 camera???
    • Matt Johnson
      By Matt Johnson
      Results from the event on Clearwater Lake.... 

1st Place - Matt Milbrandt/Adam Griffith (9.68 pounds)
      2nd Place - Justin Hammer/Joe Crapser (8.14 pounds)
      3rd Place - Mike Raetz/Travis Kratcha (7.995 pounds)
      4th Place - Matt Brookman/Ben Putnam (7.975 pounds)
      5th Place - Josh Dehn/Jeff Morris (6.795 pounds)
      Big Fish -  Matt Brookman/Ben Putnam (1.365 pound Crappie)

For a complete list of the results... Circle Lake Results - CLICK HERE
      Also check out the UPL Facebook page for more photos from the event... UPL Facebook Page - CLICK HERE

Enjoy!! 
    • Matt Johnson
      By Matt Johnson
      Results from the event on Circle Lake.... 

1st Place - Mike Ferrell/Andy Walker (9.79 pounds)
      2nd Place - Justin Hammer/Joe Crapser (8.97 pounds)
      3rd Place - Ben Lutterman/Devin Kuehne (7.895 pounds)
      4th Place - Matt Brookman/Augie Isaacson (7.735 pounds)
      5th Place - Matt Waldron/Adam Griffith (6.76 pounds)
      Big Fish -  Matt Waldron/Adam Griffith (1.425 pound Crappie)

For a complete list of the results... Circle Lake Results - CLICK HERE
      Also check out the UPL Facebook page for more photos from the event... UPL Facebook Page - CLICK HERE

Enjoy!! 
    • IceHawk
      By IceHawk
      Anybody else take in the show this weekend? Boy has it changed sadly what it once was has become less and less. Oh well something to do on a cold day.😀 I was totally blown away at boat prices on some of the new boats. Some of the new Vexus and Rangers were $90,000 plus. Come on its a boat😲 Who affords this stuff and when will we reach a plateau?  A  14 footer and right guy in it will catch as many fish just maybe a lot slower. LOL. I always tell buds when we are on a lkae look for the old timer in that small boat off by himself he's the one probably catching the most fish his success was learned by experience and trial and error and I bet he almost always knows where the hotspots are. 😉 I t was a good way to kill some time and dream but that's about all. Looking forward to the Northwest Sportshow this spring always a hit IMO. And fun to reconnect with many in fishing industry. 
    • Rick
      By Rick
      What's going on here folks?
    • Rick
      By Rick
      Minnesota sent Robert Covington and Jordan Bell to Houston, Keita Bates-Diop, Shabazz Napier to Denver and Andrew Wiggins plus a top 3 protected 1st round pick to Golden State.

Coming the Wolves way are DeAngelo Russell, Brooklyn’s lottery-protected 1st round pick, along with Evan Turner’s expiring contract, Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangomez and Jarred Vanderbilt.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• eyeguy 54
      Was nice to see those pics. Tight lines!
    • Borch
      From memory 10-15 fow.
    • Borch
      Mine popped Sunday and I was on the lake zipping up the pant leg on my ice suit.   Luckily it settled down because I was fishing either way.  😁
    • smurfy
      generally speaking how deep of water is the weed edge out there on that point?? i'm thinking looking at the lake map and Pauls road on the north side of that point. depends on if there is anyone else around that area!!?? I like being away and alone!!!!!
    • eyeguy 54
      You wounded too cret?It ain’t fun. 
    • Austin12345
      Lol I fished the same spot last weekend it is by far better after dark though so diffently try that spot for crappie after dark. Because it was good during the day but insane at night. There are some 12 inch plus ones in there to. 
    • monstermoose78
      Feel better soon cret we got gills to catch
    • Wanderer
      Naw, I just spit on it a little.  And I sorta mean that.  When I was out hole hopping the minnow head froze while I was trying my other baits (usually have 3 set ups handy).  A frozen minnow head floats on the hook so I had to thaw it out in my mouth and crunch the ice out of it with my teeth so it would hang right.  Yah - hard core heathen! 😄  Anything to save the hands I guess even though it was my last try before heading into warmth.
    • Jasopete
      I have Verizon and did not have cell service, did pick up service for about 5 minutes in the bay directly west of the resort one day, but could never find the spot again. 
    • jigginjim
      Nice walleye, I have caught several walleyes while fishing crappies. If there are smaller 4-6 inch crappies around there will be Walleyes not far away.  Lately several guys I have chatted with claim they see crappies on the Vex's but they won't bite.  I wonder if those are really shiners?  As there are lots of shiners in Buffalo lake, and several other lakes here in central Mn, have large amount of shiners roaming the lakes.  I use minnows in several different areas,  and sizes can make a difference as well.  If the crappies are biting good, even fatheads will work and take the bigger ones at that. if it's slow smaller minnows, down to a size 16 trout bug on a drop shot.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.