• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cool Cats get together ?

Randy  Kato

Must have been close to 20 years ago, I came to cool cats. Had a great time and met many good people. May have to try to make it again.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Talked to Matt Johnson from Clam  this morning He's guideing today on chain and It sounded like they were into a nice school of fish ? Might go play around this week with the cats  to shake some rust off the kitty arsenal. Hopefully I can put some top side.  Be fun to meet some new faces. Hope everything stays on track. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • I Like it 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators
6 hours ago, Coleman said:

I haven't been able to make this before because I'm normally on the road for work. But, would love to this year. I have a few brand new rods, still in the bag (open water) I could throw in for gifts from my old job. Who handles all the swag/"door prizes"? 

Thanks so much Coleman!  You have a PM from me.

• I Like it 1

8 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Talked to Matt Johnson from Clam  this morning He's guideing today on chain and It sounded like they were into a nice school of fish ? Might go play around this week with the cats  to shake some rust off the kitty arsenal. Hopefully I can put some top side.  Be fun to meet some new faces. Hope everything stays on track. 

Hmm, not sure if this is his doing, but I was wondering what was going on. Funny thing, I drive all over the lake to fish and there a cluster of guys literally right in front of the cabin. Go figure. 

20200201_142422.jpg

• Wow, ❤ 1
  • I Like it 2

found out the wild game feed is the weekend before. weather permitting and no unexpected calender changes i'm hoping to hit this!!!!!?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • I Like it 1

On 1/30/2020 at 1:51 PM, IceHawk said:

We  have asked for volunteers to help in the search and for some reason there never seems to be any willing ?

If you’re hinting for some scouting help this year, let me know when and I’ll see if I can fit it in.  I’m jotting the GTG down on my calendar also.  I’ll admit I’ve been one of those guys that shows interest in GTGs and have just made a few.  Something always seems to pop up.  

That said, my commitments for help stick; it’s the fun commitments that suffer the most casualties. 

• Yayyyy 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

If you’re hinting for some scouting help this year, let me know when and I’ll see if I can fit it in.  I’m jotting the GTG down on my calendar also.  I’ll admit I’ve been one of those guys that shows interest in GTGs and have just made a few.  Something always seems to pop up.  

That said, my commitments for help stick; it’s the fun commitments that suffer the most casualties. 

Thanks appreciate the offer!  We will let you Know More sticks and augers cover a lot more ground and a lot faster they can be a bugger to track down sometimes. Especially that time of year shallow water flats are usually hot  but also makes it tougher to see them on electronics. So covering more ground rules out the bad and hopefully brings out the good. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

so this maybe a bit off topic, but its still about catfish!? I was told by a guy few years back that after ice out the catfish are thick in that bay from the hwy 22 river access over into becker??????

any truth to this??????? he told me just throw out a hook with crawlers on it and you could catch them all day long. apparently there in there spawning???????????????????? 

• Yayyyy 1

Cats and panfish with an emphasis on kitties.  But it we find a good panfish bite I'm gonna give it as and option.  Especially if the kitties are temperamental. ?

• Yayyyy 1

7 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Will keep you in the loop.  Will likely be a few pre gathering scouting missions.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

21 hours ago, smurfy said:

so this maybe a bit off topic, but its still about catfish!? I was told by a guy few years back that after ice out the catfish are thick in that bay from the hwy 22 river access over into becker??????

any truth to this??????? he told me just throw out a hook with crawlers on it and you could catch them all day long. apparently there in there spawning???????????????????? 

You talking about East Lake? 

Yeah, they can me thick in there, but cats are one of the last to spawn. Normally it gets really hot in June. I used to fish in the bay directly to the east in about 2 FOW. You could catch them all day. 

• Thanks 1

That's the lake on the east side of 22, not? Or across the road from the river access.

I'm talking going from the river access over to Becker lake.

The catfish aren't spawning Channel cats spawn when  water temps hit about 70-80 degrees. Reason they are in the bays shallow muddy flats  after ice out ,such as the area your describing is to feed.  They  frequent a lot of shallow water areas early in the year searching for a food source. Basically where do all game fish head after ice out in the warm bays and shallow areas actively chasing minnows crustaceans etc. They act real similar to a Northern actively searching the bays flat areas looking for a easy meal especially dead fish. Similar to how in the spring the Pike tip up fisherman find so much success using dead smelt as bait. (easy meal)! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 2

4 hours ago, Coleman said:

You talking about East Lake? 

Yeah, they can me thick in there, but cats are one of the last to spawn. Normally it gets really hot in June. I used to fish in the bay directly to the east in about 2 FOW. You could catch them all day. 

Coleman you are exactly right that is one big muddy bay area that they frequent a ton early in the season. 

• Thanks 1

East Lake was one of my favorite bow fishing places back when I did such a thing.  There’s also a couple areas worth hitting for bass over that way.  I always looked forward to fishing bass tourneys on the chain.

By the way, once I started catching cats on crank baits and plastic worms I realized they’re more of a predator than a rough fish.

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

East Lake was one of my favorite bow fishing places back when I did such a thing.  There’s also a couple areas worth hitting for bass over that way.  I always looked forward to fishing bass tourneys on the chain.

By the way, once I started catching cats on crank baits and plastic worms I realized they’re more of a predator than a rough fish.

As a kid  We use to take my cousins pontoon and line up in all 4 corners and cruise the bays all over the chain bowfishing. Was a blast but my uncle didn't like the idea of all the blood all over his nice rig and put a end to it. LOL!  Cats are aggressive crazy how fast they can swim you cant believe the numbers I have caught trolling cranks at 2MPH plus.  They also love spinnerbaits, had one smash a terminator buzzbait one time couldn't believe it ?

Edited by IceHawk
  • Wow, ❤ 1
  • Yayyyy 1

I've had a few crush buzz baits in the summer.   They are rough on crankbaits, especially the hooks.

• Yayyyy 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can’t say I’ve ever seen those particular baits before!  Are they available in MN stores or best done by ordering direct?  They look great!

11 hours ago, Borch said:

A few more prize items.

Jeff I should be able to put together some prize bags of tackle, similar to last year. Let me know when pre drill/fish is, would like to help dial in location. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 1

Thanks Tom!

I am so have a couple rod/reel setups left from last year when we got dumped on so bad the week before and had to cancel.

• I Like it 1

1 hour ago, Borch said:

That's a great pic Chris! 

Thanks  Have to give credit where its due that photo was Taken by a great Photographer Tom Sawyer. ?

Edited by IceHawk
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, rcjoutdoors said:

It hits 70 here in Florida and people go nuts. It must be fun catching cats in that manner. 

Welcome to FM rcjoutdoors!  Yes it is a blast they actually put up a good fight through the hardwater. Back in the day when they were first introduced a few of us locals were some of the first pioneers to chase them through the ice  !00 plus fish days were pretty common. Word spread how fun and tasty they are and people started targeting them way more on the hardwater. Some of those big numbers days can still be had in the right areas but its getting tougher every year. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IceHawk said:

Thanks  Have to give credit where its due that photo was Taken by a great Photographer Tom Sawyer. ?

Thanks ? that was a fun day for sure. Seeing that blue sky, it's hard to believe the snow storm, by the time we got home. Someone told me they seen that pic just recently on FB. Guess you'll end up a celebrity after all ?

You remember I have you on video after that catch also. The interview is priceless.....

Edited by Tom Sawyer

58 minutes ago, Tom Sawyer said:

Thanks ? that was a fun day for sure. Seeing that blue sky, it's hard to believe the snow storm, by the time we got home. Someone told me they seen that pic just recently on FB. Guess you'll end up a celebrity after all ?

You remember I have you on video after that catch also. The interview is priceless.....

Send it over, I will YouTube it. ??

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Rick said:

Send it over, I will YouTube it. ??

Sure it wasn't a very kid friendly interview more like a Howard Stern show interview ? All that was missing was Beetlejuice LOL!

• Yayyyy 2