• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Don't forget to try worms!  Last year we skipped the redtails and went worms for our fall trip and did excellent!!  Keep me updated as I won't be able to get up there until the last weekend of the month😫  pretty sure temps were 65-67 over labor day.  GOOD LUCK!!!

• I Like it 1
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ozzie

• rayguy

• MikeG3Boat

• Wiley Coyote

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was out this past weekend for a little bit and caught a handful of walleyes and a bunch of pike. We fished 13-18feet mostly. All of our fishing was done on main lake structure. Our biggest was 25.5. W

Back from the wild West boys and girls.  A great trip through the National parks and up to Jasper.  Coming back through Canada the potholes in Alberta and Sask. are full of ducks.  As you get closer t

Fished middle WF on Friday afternoon and got a 17.5" and 22" eye on a white jighead/leech in 18 and 23 fow. Tried midday on Saturday for a bit and didn't get a bite. The boat waves were insane at time

Posted Images

Wiley Coyote

So I'm going up to the chain on the weekend of Sept 28th.  I've never really fished for eyes up there in the fall.  Any tips on what depths I should be targeting?  Is this a good time if year to rig big chubs?  What about trolling cranks or throwing soft plastic swim baits?

I will also be on the water that weekend with a group of buddies.  At that time work the remaining weedlines and look at hump and breaks near the deep water.  I have not had great success on the big minnows out on WFC but I do know that crawlers (jig or rig) and rapala's and jigging raps all have been successful for me out there.  Just need to move and groove until you find some fish in the 15-40' of water range and start attacking them.  Good Luck

• Thanks 1

also shorten the amount of water you are looking at and work whitefish lakes and leave the rest alone.  Fish can be had in Trout and Cross but %'s improve in WF IMO

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Wiley Coyote

Anyone have a rough idea when the ciscos start their fall spawning run?  I've heard they spawn on sandy/gravely bottom and it can be a good pattern to target walleyes if you can time it right.

I believe the run is dictated by water temp...seems to me I remember in the upper 40's lower 50's which usually is in November.  I was supposed to make it up there this weekend but my wife got a call back from her cancer removal and they need to take more tissue out as they didn't get all the cancer...#[email protected]  surgery is Thursday...hoping this time is the last time they need to open her up to deal with this sh!t

Edited by ozzie
  • l Love It 1

Ozzie prayers to your wife and yourself.   Cancer  seems to effect all families somewhere along the line.  Hope all goes well.   Far as fishing its been pretty hit and miss. Think the weather has something to do with it.   Fish think its still summer.  Now with more normal temps I think the fall bite will kick in.  We have caught walleyes from 12' to 25' with no real pattern.  Cranks have been dead,  trolling over deep water has been a dud,  best has been lindys with live bait .   Red tails are so $$$$ haven't tried them but our neighbor has and only got snakes. Far as the duck opener it was pretty slow from what I have heard.  Shooting died off by 8:30 on the weekend and none heard since.  All I see are wood ducks and the geese have vanished.  So enjoy the warm weather as old man winter will have his day soon.  Good Luck

• Thumbs Up 2
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:04 PM, Robin B. said:

Oct. 31, 2018 saw young bull moose on State Highway 65. South of County Road 28 about 2 - 3 miles.

wrong forum topic and area (as in a ways from WFC) but cool none the less!!

Heading back to cabin on Monday for the last dance.  Pulling boat out the 17th so if I find any kind of a pattern I will post it. Pretty  chilly up there right now.  From the neighbors report its been pretty slow since it got cold.  Any news from the chain?

• Thanks 1
Wiley Coyote

Was up last weekend to help dad put things away for the fall.  We got out for a few hours in the afternoon.  Nothing.  I got bit off (jigging rap) and that was it.  We were checked by the CO and he said everyone he encountered was not having any luck either.

• Wow, ❤ 1

I actually made it up for a day run on the 29th as I had some things to do...we caught 1 eye 17" over by Foleys and then missed a couple and got a couple bite offs.  I had one nice bite on a jigging rap and had about 4 cranks of the reel before it shook and spit the rap out...amazing that a lure like that can be bit by a fish and not get them hooked!!  Was beautiful out (prob too calm!) and we also got checked by the CO's...buddy forgot he bought his license online this year and kept the CO's around longer then they wanted to be but they let him go with the idea they would send him a ticket if he didn't have it.  Funny cuz it took him another hour or so before the light bulb went off and he remembered that he bought it online! HAHA  I sure hope to get out on the water fishing a couple more times before the ice locks the lakes up but the forecast has those plans looking bleak!  Good luck 

• Wow, ❤ 1

Any recent reports from the last 2 weeks?  prob not much since the weather has been horrible but thought I would check as it looks like I will be up this weekend and will get out a time or 2 if all works out right.

Hey Ozzie you haven’t missed much.  The weather and the wind have been awful .  When we could get out it was slow. Nothing of any size and few and far between.  Taking the boat out tomorrow so maybe a couple hour shot before that. Been a crazy year weather wise and very puzzling far as fishing patterns. Time to think deer I guess. For all you die hards good luck. Stay warm and be safe the water is cold!   Go Vikes

• I Like it 1
  • Thanks 1

Got out Saturday and tried for some eyes and didn't find a one...barely graphed a fish in many areas!  We switched it up and went crappie fishing and found a school in deep water and caught enough for a meal.  We were using small jigging raps.  Great bait when trying to stay vertical in deeper water with a slight wind.  Hope to get out another time or 2 but we will see what ma nature has to say about that...Good Luck- Ozzie

• Thumbs Up 2
  • 2 months later...
Wiley Coyote

Any reports on if the chain is clear of ice yet?

ozzie

spoke to a person that drove around the lake last week and said the snow pack went down but the shorelines looked still locked tight and with temps in the 20-30's they aren't losing ice too quickly. 

• Thanks 1
rayguy

Last report I had from neighbors was upper was about half open. Snow pretty much gone.  This is from Wed. 4/15.  No walleye stripping this year. Need some wind and warm rain to open her up.  Stay safe all.

• Thumbs Up 1
ozzie

found out that there are some smaller lakes in the area now open...getting closer!

• Thumbs Up 1
ozzie

received pics on Sunday from various accesses on the chain and water is starting to show up and deplete the ice sheet.  I would guess some fishing could be done this weekend on the chain...

• Thumbs Up 1
rayguy

From webcam on Lower Hay lake it looks wide open. 

• Thumbs Up 1
rayguy

Official  ice out April 22.  

• Thumbs Up 1
Lakeside
On 4/28/2020 at 10:43 AM, rayguy said:

Official  ice out April 22.  

I'm not going to argue the Official Ice Out call of 4/22/2020. There was a good size sheet of ice in the main basin of Lower Whitefish on 4/23. It disappeared over night. Mike at Boyd Lodge call the Ice Out as of 4/24. To be clear, I'm not arguing one way or the other. Different people have different views (geographically) and different criteria.

All that said, my boat was lunched for the season on 4/25!!!

• Yayyyy 1
Lakeside

As of 4/27 there were no, zero, nadda crappies in the 'secret' bay just off Pig Lake. Need a few more days of warm Wx to bring them in.

• Thumbs Up 1
ozzie

well got out on the chain Saturday and hit Clamshell and found nothing in the bay but small fish and bass and it was too windy to fish out of the bay so we snuck to the back areas behind the island and struck out there too.  In the evening we went to South Cross and searched that bay and didn't really find much for crappies.  we caught 4 that we kept for a meal that were 9.5-11.5' and those were caught around 8pm and no one else was catching much of anything either.  Hopefully the opener is better with more action than what we had!  Good Luck

• Thumbs Up 1
rayguy
Posted (edited)

Looks like bad weather coming for the weekend.  Water is still very cold.  It shows in the crappie fishing.  Hard to come by,  won't improve till it warms up a little.  Did see a 2-3 lb walleye in 3' of water off our dock.  Just swimming by.  Dress warm guys.  Rain and 35 on Sat morning.  

Edited by rayguy
  • Thumbs Up 1
ozzie

thanks for the update rayguy! despite the weather I will be in the area hitting a lake hoping to find willing biters!  I don't think we will hit the chain for eyes as opener has never been kind to us out there.  Good luck to all this weekend and hope for tight lines and memorable catches!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  It's fall in Minnesota.  Dress warm and catch walleyes!  That is the theme with good fall fishing this past week.  The colder weather has walleyes snapping.  Most anglers anchored up and jigging with an emerald shiner.  Walleyes are relating to bait in anywhere from 15' - 23' of water.  Structure, areas of the lake adjacent rivers / streams and areas in front of bays holding good numbers of fish.  Pike continue to be active in bays and along shorelines.  Trolling crankbaits continues to catch anglers a mixed bag.
      On the Rainy River...   Some commenting this is one of the best runs of emerald shiners up the river in years.  The river is still low, current slow.  More and more walleyes are coming into the river each day.  Best depths anywhere from 7-24'.  Most anglers are jigging with live or frozen shiners.  Pink, glow and gold combo effective.  The fish are moving often, try different current seams, flats or holes until you find them.   When you find them, action can be fast.  Don't be afraid to pull crankbaits over flats where fish are spread out and you can cover water.  Four Mile Bay holding walleyes in 10-15'.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Nice smallmouth bass being caught by walleye anglers.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      A nice walleye bite this week up at the Angle.  Jig and a minnow on points and areas with current all good places to start in 13'-26'.  Gold, pink, and glow colors great choices.  Some big pike caught by walleye anglers jigging.  Pike and muskies in bays and off of rock points. 

• JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      What’s the status of small lakes in the arrowhead? I’m going to Grand Marais this weekend, and the forecast looks pretty miserable 😩 I have a feeling I’m going to be busting through ice to launch my boat. But is it at all possible that some of these little designated trout lakes could be locked up completely? 
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      DNR has a proposal to remove the dam on the Grindstone River, in Hinckley. The reservoir, which serves absolutely no purpose, is about 27 acres, and is nothing but mud and silt. I’m in favor of any and all dam removals! They’re taking comments via e-mail until November 12. If you want to write the DNR, subject e-mail “Grindstone EIS” to [email protected]
    • Hawkem9
      By Hawkem9
      Hey guys, 

Looking for some opinions from those of you who fish the lake consistently.  We take a fall trip every year and have been on the cass chain the last 5 years.  Planning on heading to Vermillion this year.  We have two dates in mind being either the 18-25 of Sept or the 9-16th of October.  Love to be somewhere in the middle but it wont work this year.  We will fish Smallies/wallys the majority of the time and planning to stay on the east side.  Would any of you suggest one of those times over the other?  I am seeing the current weather up that way and its making me a bit nervous about the later dates, but if the fishing is better by mid october will certainly risk some colder weather.  Thanks for any input!
    • evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      So the weather really tanked!! I was hoping to fish until November before winterizing the boat.

Anyone been out...either reservoirs or up Hwy 53? Any idea of when landings start pulling docks...probably on DNR site huh?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Great fall fishing this past week.  Walleyes were active with most anglers anchored up and jigging with a minnow.  No surprise walleyes are relating to bait in anywhere from 9' - 27' of water.  Good reports around the lake.  Structure and current areas holding good numbers of fish. Good walleye reports from Four Mile Bay in 10-15'.  Pike continue to be active in bays and along shorelines.  Trolling crankbaits will catch you a mixed bag.
      On the Rainy River...   A strong run of emerald shiners this past week brought more walleyes into the river.  The river is low, current slow.  Anglers reporting groups of fish from Wheeler's Point to Birchdale.  Most anglers are jigging with live or frozen shiners.  Pink, glow and gold combo effective.  Try moving hole to hole until you find fish.  Change the angle of your jigging using different weight jigs.  Pull the jig forward against current, let it fall back and bang bottom.  Trolling crankbaits over flats where fish are spread out also effective.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Good reports of smallmouth bass again this week.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are boat shuttle / passenger services available to the Angle.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Walleyes active this week up at the Angle.  Jig and a minnow on points, areas with current, and bay mouths where there is bait all good places to start in 8'-24'.  With the many islands, lots of spots to fish.  Gold, pink, chartreuse and glow colors great choices.  Crappies in mix, 15-30' adjacent to structure.  Pike are active.  Muskie anglers reporting action trolling cranks or casting jerkbaits in cabbage weed bays.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The traditional fall pattern of a jig bite for walleyes continues on the big lake.  There are various schools of walleyes located across the south shore.  A good place to start is 9-15' or 22-29' adjacent to rivers, creeks and bays.  Anchor up, jig over the side of the boat with a frozen shiner or fathead.  Anglers reporting going through numbers of small walleyes and saugers to catch nicer eaters.  Decent walleye reports also from Four Mile Bay in 10-15'.  Pike are active in bays and along shorelines.
      On the Rainy River...   Anglers catching nice walleyes in the river, not the big numbers yet.  Current on the river and the river itself is low.  Most anglers are jigging with frozen shiners, although trolling crankbaits to find fish still effective for some.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  Good reports of smallmouth bass this week.
      Jigging with a minnow on structure with a bit of current in 8-24' effective for walleyes.  Gold, pink, chartreuse and glow colors great choices.  Some crappies in 15-30' adjacent to structure.  Muskie anglers reporting action trolling cranks or casting jerkbaits in cabbage weed bays.  Water temps in the mid 50's. 
    • evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      Heading out to Leech in the cold temps...hoping to stay at least dry. Any reports or bait suggestions? I’ll keep you posted.
    • Snogan
      By Snogan
      Just wondering if anyone else that fishes the Root (especially below Lanesboro) has ever patterned or had any luck targeting sauger/eyes. This is my first year trying for them after hearing whispers for years and I've been surprised with my results. So far I've caught 5 sauger and 4 eyes out of the Root this year, a 17 inch Sauger and a 22 inch eye being my biggest so far. I know the river is a lot better known for trout but if anybody else has had any luck targeting other species I'd love to share reports or tactics. 
    • papadarv
      By papadarv
      Finally got out fishing this season, long weekend on Ottertail, Vacationland resort. Lots of wind Fri & Sun, Sat fairly calm. Marked lots of fish but slow bite with a few walleye & perch. Crallers, raps, suckers, shad. Day 16 - 19 FOW deep side of weeds and 6 - 9 FOW shallow side of weeds after dark. 61 to 62 deg water temp. Lots of bait balls at 17 - 19 and suspended at 20 - 25 ft in 40 - 150 FOW. Much needed fantastic weekend.
      Pics, multi helix 9 SI - DI - Sonar, cabin lake view, Son, Grandson. Hard to believe the monster perch hit a 3" Sucker.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• BigVTim
      Yikes! Looks like it would be hard to launch and load with the ice on the ramps.  
    • JerkinLips
      McKinley Park parking lot is plowed regularly but is often quite busy.  Fortune Bay would be another option but I assume the parking lot is for guests (or customers).
    • monstermoose78
      Had fun diver hunting but my partners sucked at shooting worse than me. First flock I let them shoot and I dropped one it was a ringer and Finn chased that suck way out in the lake and around. Ended up with one merganser and my hunting partners never touched a duck.
    • SkunkedAgain
      In years past, Jack and other owners of the Landing used to keep the boat launch plowed next door. The last owners of the Landing didn't do it. I've asked several times while frequenting the Landing this summer/fall, and it sounds like they do not plan to keep the lot open either. Are there any other public launches on the lake that are regularly or semi-regularly plowed for people to park sled trailers?
    • monstermoose78
      Good luck I heard a report today lots of lakes are frozen
    • BobT
      Wow, I posted that information almost a decade ago. Those definition points I posted are not my opinion but if I remember correctly, I believe they came from the Hunting Handbook. As I posted.... • Crossbow hunters may not party hunt with firearms hunters. • Crossbow hunters may party hunt with archery hunters if they possess an archery license with a crossbow disability permit.   I'm not aware of any change in the law since then. 
    • JerkinLips
      Made it out for 4 hours yesterday and all I caught was this 25" walleye and a 22" northern.  Didn't have a bite in 2 hours last night and didn't see the people fishing by me pull up a fish.  Water temp was 37.4°F and there was a lot of green globs floating in the water.  Maybe that was from the water turning over (heaviest at 39.16°F).  I will blame that for the poor fishing rather than my lack of fishing skill (which I know I have).   Hoodoo point landing (2nd photo) had a little shore ice and McKinley Park (3rd photo) was totally clear as was Stuntz Bay.  With low temperatures in the teens the next 3 mornings I would expect ice to start forming along some shores.  Pulled my boat out of the water but could easily put it back in if the lake stays ice-free and I get my buck early.
    • Austin12345
      Its hard to think but its coming soon at 15 I dont have 300 laying around to buy a vex with so last year I got a garmin striker 4 and made a mount for it even with the summer ducer it worked great!! I would put it up aginst my buddies vexs and marcums here are the pics
    • JBMasterAngler
      I’m leaving the boat home...forecast just sucks up there for the weekend! I’m going to find out the hard way if I indeed patched the leak in my waders 🥶 I’m just going hop from lake to lake, and hope the ice won’t be a problem. 
    • Wiley Coyote
      Not looking to catch ciscos, looking to catch the things that eat ciscos, lol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.