• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

ozzie

full of snow and slush😜...don't really know as I haven't been out this year but I know from snowmobilers it was nasty in areas on the lake if you got off a trail and I am sure this rain hasn't helped things.  Gonna be up this weekend for the big parade but not sure I will see the lake conditions.  Just need a couple months of good weather and boats will be floating and reports coming in

• Thanks 1

anchor man

Chain is looking good now. Plenty of boats in the back bays catching some crappies in shallow. Looking forward to the weekend to see if we can bump into a walleye or two.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

ozzie

I have the rods ready and the plan of attack laid out...now it is just sit and wait and see how many ways my plans get twisted and changed from now till they play out!😂

• Thumbs Up 1

MikeG3Boat

I am heading up for the opener this year.  Any hints on some general areas to try?  I am assuming the water is going to be chilly.  I have been up here a few times for opener and never really had any luck.  Any help would be appreciated.  thanks!

anchor man

I don't typically have great luck on opener up there. I usually try some of the channel areas and some of the large bars on middle whitefish. Pine river entrance and surrounding shorelines is always worth a look. Good luck, enjoy the wind and rain on Sat.

• Thumbs Up 1

ozzie

The chain seems to be a tough body of water to figure out.  You will hear they catch them at the river and they will, but I have found out that is usually the guys in waders and they go up the river where boats cannot.  The mouth of the river should have eyes but the area will be packed with people and odd to see fish caught.  Try the shorelines adjacent to the inlets between lakes and some of the bars on middle like mentioned would be the "better" chance areas IMO.  I wont fight the wind and rain Saturday if it is bad but Sunday looks to be nice and I look forward to getting back on the pigs I left last fall!!

• Thumbs Up 1

MikeG3Boat

I agree it is a very tough body of water to figure out.  There are just so many places for them to hide.  Thanks for some hints.  I will give them a try.  Thanks!

ozzie

Good Luck! 

rayguy

Fishing has been tough, even the Crappies have been hard to find.  Mouth of Pine River was very slow opener and last week.  Did catch a few on Rapala's on mid lake flats.  Weather needs to settle down and WARM up. Water off our dock was 46 yesterday,  mid April temps.   Hello Ozzie how did you do?  

Rayguy

• Thumbs Up 2

ozzie

I posted about the eventful opener I had on the WFC...drama aside the walleye's were what I expected and caught none and saw nothing caught around the Pine River area (delta and first break area, didn't go up the river)  We also tried our summer shoreline and didn't mark anything and only saw 2 smallmouths up shallow in 4' of water.  Crappie fishing was ok.  We didn't limit and weren't on fire but we had our moments and probably kept 24 over the 3 day weekend.  Found them to be shallow along docks one day then they moved to deeper edges after the wind and colder temps. I  didn't go last weekend due to the wind and weather.  Will be out Saturday and Sunday to give it a whirl and hopefully get into a few fish!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

ozzie

went out again this weekend and spent Saturday chasing crappies in the morning to early afternoon and found a few but not the motherload.  Kept 7 for a meal 9.75-12".  The rest of the weekend we tried again for the crappies on Sunday same times and nothing.  Both evening we went for walleyes by the river Saturday evening and then places on Whitefish Sunday afternoon/evening and found nothing!  Frustrating but sadly expected.  I need to find new places and think outside the box on this chain.  Might need to try to find weeds in the shallow areas close to rivers and go with a leech under a bobber...who knows!?!  if they do know they ain't telling me :) 

• l Love It 1

Wanderer

@ozzie

If the current isn’t helping you, try the wind!

MikeG3Boat

I am heading up this weekend.  I really intend of doing a lot of looking for fish using my graph.  I am hoping that the warmer temps of Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday start warming the water and getting these fish active.  I will be fishing in a Red G3 boat.  It looks like a lund, so If anyone sees me out there don't hesitate to say hi!  It would be nice to meet a few of the guys on the forum.  Ozzie and Rayguy are you fishing this weekend?

• I Like it 1

ozzie

I am up this weekend but golfing...I might hit the water Saturday evening if I have time.  Otherwise I might try Sunday if I can.  Good Luck and hope you can find fish!  Warmer water will certainly help~

MikeG3Boat

Another Tough weekend bite for me.  Only managed a few small pike.  I was finding stuff with my electronics, but couldn't convince them to bite.... :( 

I am heading back up Wednesday night to pre-fish for a tournament on Saturday.  Hopefully I can find some on Thursday and Friday.  

Ozzie or Rayguy you fishing again this weekend?  Let me know.  Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

rayguy

Was up for the past week.  Fishing was tough.  Crappies and sunnies are not where they should be .   Had better luck in 6-10 ft of water rather than shallow.  Weeds are coming up fast making the shallow water bite tough.   Walleyes oh my.    Spent two days hitting known spring spots and ended up with four 16-18 " for lots of effort.   All were caught on leeches,  one in 26'of water.  Now I may have people thinking boy that's where they are.  Truth is my hat blew off and time I got it back we had drifted into the deep water. And thus the 26' fish.  Spent a hour there after and never had another bite.  From our cabin Ozzie I can watch the river mouth fishing.   Have not seen much caught this year there.  Tough year to figure so far.  Sat last evening watching shiners feeding all around our dock.  Maybe a long line spotail would be the ticket. Won't be up till the 17th then the following two weeks we are there.  Will post a report when we get back.  A side note for the first time in many years there are a dozen or so Pelicans hanging around Upper Whitefish. Must be lost.    Ray Guy

• Thanks 1
  • l Love It 1

Coach1310

Thanks for the reports all... what kind of water temps are you finding?  I think the panfish are just confused after getting pushed around.... cold spring... then quick warmup... then another prolonged cold snap... now warm up, etc... 

TAJ

Hi everyone. I fished June 3rd AM and PM. I pulled spinners with shiners in shallow water in Upper and Father Foley's. Picked up a dozen small northerns. No walleyes. I'll be back up next week to try again. Should be better with this warmer weather. Ted (Red Lund Tyee with 115 Merc)

• Thumbs Up 1

ozzie

Sorry I missed this previously...I was in the Lions Tourney this past weekend and the fishing Friday was more productive in a short window than it was on tourney day!!  We have learned that if we don't have a 3lb average on Bass with a norther over or a walleye or 2 in the bucket it is pointless to weight in.  I was fishing with a bad back so I didn't stick around other than to sign in Friday and then Saturday I never went back to Moonlight after the 1st group sendoff.  How did you do?

The eye fishing is pretty non-existent this year so far on the chain.  the local fishing league has not been weighing eyes either.  Going back up this weekend and going to go troll gull one evening and then hit WFC for a morning and evening try.  Good Luck! 

• Thumbs Up 1

MikeG3Boat

Myself and a friend were in the Lions tournament last weekend.  We had one 2 lb walleye and 3 northern under 22, and No bass.  I am not much of a bass fisherman, but usually I can get a few.  It is a really nice tournament and I will be back next year.  People that we meet were nice.

I am heading back up to the chain this weekend, but I am going to fish Mille Lacs Friday for the day.  My wife has never been on the lake so we are going to give that a try.  I will be out on the chain most of the day Saturday and Sunday hoping I can develop some kind of pattern of some sort.  I will be out in a Red G3 boat with a 150 Yamaha, say Hi if you see me.  Everyone have fun on the water this weekend!  Hopefully the rain is truly scattered! :D 

• Thumbs Up 2

ozzie

Sounds good Mike!  The lions touney is fun just to get out on the water for the whole day with a purpose to expand your fishing skills.  I don't fish bass much other than prepping for this tournament.  I also agree that the participants in this tournament have been nothing but good people as I have struck up conversations with many of them and all are really enjoyable to talk with and are there for the same thing...having FUN!!!  Good Luck to you on the big pond and if I see a red G3 this weekend I will yell out "MIKEY!!!!" and see if they react and if so I will say HI!  😎 Happy Father's day to all the dad's out there!

• Thanks 1

MikeG3Boat

Hey Heading back to the Chain for the weekend.  Any good reports lately?  I haven't been up since the Father's day weekend and fishing wasn't very good at least for me.  

The trip to the big pond was worth it.  My wife caught her personal best walleye of 25", that was really fun to be a part of.  

Anyway I should be out on the chain fishing with my son and his college friend.  

Let me know if you guys have been up and what kind of action you have found.

Have a great week everyone!

ozzie

I did not get out this past weekend due to weather and wind but the weekend before we started to make contact with walleyes but only seemed to find the 13-15" fish.  We caught them in the 14-20ft range using jigging raps, rapalas, and lindy with a worm.  We caught a couple on Cross and the others on Whitefish.  I am going to try and slip up there for a night or 2 this weekend with the weather predicted to be nice and see if I can't find a few fish.  Good luck!

OutdoorLife4Life

Hey guys! We were up last weekend but only got to fish for a few hours. We caught a bunch of pike anywhere from mid teens in length to the low 20” range. We also caught a few bass and a few walleyes. Biggest eye was 19. We contacted all our fish from 16-20 feet. Most of our bites came on a jig and minnow. My wife and brother and law were trolling spinners but only managed pike. We did try crawlers without any success but again we were only out for a few hours. We fished on whitefish and targeted bars and a couple of wind blown underwater points. Good luck this weekend! Maybe we’ll see ya out there!

• Thumbs Up 1

rayguy

Does it ever quit blowing?  Tough conditions this week. Fish scattered all over the place.  Bass hitting the best, panfish the least. Walleyes in the middle.  Best for us has been late afternoon on lindys and leeches. Nothing great but with the warmup coming I think things will improve. Did see a 7-8 lber caught ,  on a Daredevil of all things.  Keep the beer cold.  Go get em.  Rayguy

• Thumbs Up 2

rayguy

Just got back from the cabin.  Whitefish was pretty good the last few days.  For us leeches on a lindy rig was the best.  Caught them from 12' to 23' .  Best was late afternoon .  No whoppers but some nice 3lbers.  Biggest for us was 26" out of 15' of water.  One thing there are some crazies running around with the Don Johnson type of boat.  Running up and down the lake three to a pack.  For that reason I would advise finding some spots out of the main race track.  Also had a bigtime storm last night with lots of lightning  so that may slow down the bite.  Anyway keep a open eye as the PT boats are so fast they can't turn very fast.  Stay safe,  good fishing and Happy Fourth OF July.       Rayguy

• Thumbs Up 3

ozzie

Always the case on the Chain, and most lakes, is too keep your ears open and your head up looking every so often, as those boats do run fast!! Many times you have to wonder if they are really paying attention to what is in front of them! 

As for the fishing I got up and on the lake early Saturday to beat the heat and the crazies and I have never been seen so many anglers flying around the lake that early...or ever if not a tournament!  But from what I saw and heard not many people were catching fish.  Saw 2 boats on a point then the 2 boats that were by me went to the point making 4...next thing is you have a boat here and a boat there next thing there are 10 boats on the point!!  After another 45 minutes there was only one boat left on the point😂  positive it was herd mentality and no fish caught!  As for the fishing it was dead other than getting my jigging rap bitten off!!!  First time in a long time being bitten off...the worse part was I retied and about 20 minutes later was pulling in a pile of weeds and either my knot was weak or my line broke from the zebras and I watched another $9 go to the bottom of the lake!!🤦‍♂️ Once I got to the landing there was  a guide returning and I heard the "sorry, wish we could have found some walleyes" conversation which made me feel a little better about not catching any! 

I did get out to Gull on Friday night trolling till 11 starting at around 8pm.  We caught 2 eyes 21.5 and 18.5 and lost another...not great but could have been worse.  Always remember to bring with a spotlight when night fishing as we had to light up a boat cruising around as they were on a path right for us and with out the light who knows what may have happened!  See way too many people, on Gull especially, that are out at night and don't have lights on or one or the other are not working!  Don't put your life and others at risk cuz you want to fish at night!!!!

Good Luck and enjoy the 4th!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1

Wanderer

Thanks for the reports guys.  I like both systems and don’t live too far away but man, news like that makes it easy to ignore them.

Maybe you saw someone test driving this rig??? 

072423CC-DF68-40EE-A61C-CF0584C0E9E3.png.177e7fa1fea664c84df8f3e92fbc7872.png

• Thumbs Up 1

ozzie

I have seen that boat out and about I believe but there was one on the chain just north of the warf docked last year that had trip 400's on the back!  Some crazy boats with crazy HP out there!!

boat.jpg

• I Like it 1
  • Yayyyy 1