• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Flag Island Resort Ice Fishing

MN BassFisher

MN BassFisher

A group of us recently made it up to Flag Island Resort for 3 days of multispecies ice fishing on Lake of the Woods. The accommodations and folks who worked at the Resort were top notch! Bending over backwards to put you on fish and make your trip one to remember.

The Fishing - Day 1 it was decided to stay, somewhat, close to the Resort in the MN side of LOTW to target Walleye, Sauger and Perch due to 24+ hours of snow. We got into pretty good numbers of fish and some quality fished showed up as well! Below is a video of that action from Day 1.

• I Like it 1
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Nice. Thank you for the video.

• Thumbs Up 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Dal72ice
      By Dal72ice
      Leech Lake.  I am wondering what to expect.  I think I might go out on Boy bay using the public landing on Sugar Point.  First are there any safety concerns, ice conditions to worry about, Landing safe?  Second what can I expect for fish? Kind of looking for some nice panfish during the day and a stray walleye or two towards evening
    • Adudenurse
      By Adudenurse
      Alright, looking for insight from some people who know more about sitting and waiting for fish than I do.  Last year I bough some tip ups and had some luck on them but now I see it appears to be all the rage to use the IFish Pro stuff and use a rod and reel.  Anybody out there feel like these actually do any better than a standard old tip up or is it just about not having a mess of line on the ice after having a flag.  Moved to MN from mostly fishing northerns on tip ups which didn't seem to care about things not spinning as smooth as these darn walleyes do around here.  Would a rod and reel system like the ifish pro or finicky fooler actually help to have less false flags? I'm at a bit of a loss here with the more picky fish.
    • papadarv
      By papadarv
      12/3/20 a female posted 4" ice on the Coon lake channel with photo of someone in a hub fishing. A comment stated someone also caught a 24" walleye in the channel. Over the years you may see a half dozen anglers early ice on the channel. Saturday 12/5 I stopped by the channel and counted about 54 anglers crowded in the 300' x 800' channed and 6 or so cars driving around looking for a place to park. Yesterday 60+ crowded the channel. Really hard to fix stupid. Walleye slot over 17". Won't be long before DNR Walleye reduction changes.

• SergeantJas
      By SergeantJas
      I am new to ice fishing and the aitkin area.  I am wondering what is the best colors and even jigs for walleye and crappies in the aitkin area.   Its my 1st year of icexfishing.  I've always been into open water before.
    • DangerDanTheFlyMan
      By DangerDanTheFlyMan
      Hi Everyone, this is my first post here.

I am looking for some tips or tricks to break down some of the water in the Northeast part of Vermilion for ice fishing opportunities. We will be up in that area for a week at the start of January and I have no idea how to know what the ice conditions typically are that time of year. We are debating on bringing snowmobiles or an ATV, but I'm not even sure what works better up there this time of year.

For people who fish up in this area often:
      Do you seem to have better luck trying the big lakes, or breaking down smaller bodies of water? Is it worth the trip to try and snowmobile / hike / dogsled your gear up into any of the BWCA lakes? If you were brand new to this area, where would you try first for the safest ice, and best chance at some fun fishing early Janurary? Or are most lakes "safe" by then? Are typical walleye / Crappie presentations good in this area? Any go to baits or hooks?  
      I'm not looking for honey holes or specific GPS locations (unless you're willing to share), but I'm more interested in how to break down some of the smaller bays and channels in Vermilion for Walleye and Crappie. Part of the fun for me is finding them on my own by putting together information.

Any tips are much appreciated, and I'll share any knowledge I learn on our trip with you all.

Dan
    • Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      12.8.20 Sunset Lodge Fishing & Ice Update - Northwest Angle of Lake of the Woods

Hello from Sunset Lodge on Oak Island!

We got ice!

Lower than normal current levels have led to better than average, more consistent early ice conditions in the Northwest Angle. Wind and warm temps have kept the main lake south of Garden Island open until just recently.

As usual, ice conditions are always changing and there remain many areas that are still unsafe for travel. With the cold weather and little snow in the forecast we are likely to see improved and more stable ice thickness across the lake.

Our fish houses are resting on 8-11 inches of ice and are within a 10 minute ride of the resort.

Fishing pressure is low and catching is excellent! We have a very strong morning and evening bite with good action in between. Active fish are smashing rattle baits and most fish will accept a jig and a minnow.

Traffic is low and conditions are ideal for an early ice getaway, we are accepting fly-in reservations starting Monday the 14th! Our runway is marked and is currently sitting on 11 inches of ice. If you don’t have your own plane, we are partnered with Lake Country Air, they are currently flying to us from multiple Northern Minnesota locations

Beaver Air Tours: https://www.facebook.com/BeaverAirTours

Snowmobile traffic across Lake of the Woods is not advised at this time. We will keep you updated or you can check the Northwest Angle Edge Riders Facebook page for more up to date trail conditions. https://www.facebook.com/NorthwestAngleEdgeRiders

Go here for the Northwest Angle Guest Ice Road - 2020 updates. As soon as the ice road is open. we'll send an email with a link to purchase your ice road pass and you'll be all set! https://www.facebook.com/nwaiceroad

If you haven't booked your winter ice fishing trip left we have some availability remaining! You can now Book Now online or fill out our Check Availability form. www.minnesotafishingresorts.com 

As you can imagine, our phone stays pretty busy. If you get our voicemail, please leave a message or contact us via email. Ice & fishing updates will be posted on our Sunset Lodge Facebook page so please check there before calling for updates.

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Sunset Lodge

• Dakota003
      By Dakota003
      Moved to area last winter and don’t know much about any lakes in the metro. Panfish is by far the most fun for myself and would like to get into walleyes. Would really appreciate some suggestions on where to go within the metro and try out this upcoming ice fishing season. 
    • Rick
      By Rick
      Let's see your pics!!!

2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports - Click Here
      Click Above for 2020 Fishing Reports↑↑↑↑
      2009-2020 Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports below↓↓↓↓
      Go ahead and post your Lake of the Woods fishing reports and conditions in this thread.

More current Fishing Reports - Click the >> link above to the right after the NEXT link.

For 2019 LOTW Fishing Reports - Click here.

Questions welcome too.

Fishing Reports by the TOP Lake of the Woods Fishing Guides, Charter Captains & Resorts are in here - Click Here.

Lot's of good info and our best members posting below already. Newer Reports are on pages that follow.

Be sure to give back and share your fishing reports here as well

Thanks.
    • evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      So the weather really tanked!! I was hoping to fish until November before winterizing the boat.

Anyone been out...either reservoirs or up Hwy 53? Any idea of when landings start pulling docks...probably on DNR site huh?
    • icefishkab
      By icefishkab
      We are excited to announce that Sandy Point Lodge & Resort has purchased Aluma-Lite angling houses to rent this winter in addition to our already established fleet of darkhouse rentals for spearing.  Spend your winter trip hunting for a trophy Northern, angling Walleye, or a combination of both!  More information can be found at https://sandypointlodge.com/winter-activities!

Contact us today at 218-875-2615 or via email at [email protected]

Fish on!
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      my wife and i stayed in the cabin just to the right of the landing by the lake a couple times. cabin 11, it has a wood fireplace.!!!!!!
    • TrueNorth
    • smurfy
      sweet👍 next time up i might head that way. cabin is 45 minutes from there.  yea there access can be interesting at times!!!!!!
    • SkunkedAgain
      I remember my father wearing the shock vest for his afib just in case things went haywire. After a year of it he got to stop but still had to swallow the rat poison daily. I suppose that I'll be there at some point. Maybe I need to keep running from the sauna to the snowpile to keep my ticker in shape.   Stay strong.
    • Wanderer
      You’re exactly right.  They have their maximum profits dialed in and to heck with incidental late demand when it comes to that stuff.  This year has amplified that process.  You couldn’t find any popular fishing line in stock in the Baxter store past opener.  It wasn’t even good BY opener.
    • Wanderer
      Naw, I didn’t.  There wasn’t really much for hanging out inside.  Rick was coaching everyone up the access today though.  Had to tow some according to reports.  We made it up fine. LOTS of small walleyes to go around but several people iced 20” plus fish.  I lost one heavy fish at 5:30 this morning - pulled too hard after setting the hook; the line stretched and the fish didn’t move much.  Pike showed up but most went back due to the slot.  Perch were on the light side for keepers but kept things going.  Most action was in 20-22 fow either on top of a bar or the top of the breaks.   I went out to 32 fow and marked some tullibees but they wouldn’t chase.  Caught some more perch but had to keep them all due to the barotrauma.   Burnt orange was our best jig or hook color.   Caught fish on crappie jigs and minnows, chubs and one on a sucker.
    • leech~~
      Have noticed that since the big wigs own Fleet now. They do "seasonal buys" on items and once its sold out there is no resupplying until next season. They start combining shelving and moving in the summer boating stuff.
    • Remi
      I just won a ice castle fish house/rv edition and am wondering if anyone uses their flush toilets in them, and if so where do you dump at?  
    • smurfy
      did you have one of Kim's bloody marys???? num num. i usually go out of highbanks if i hit winnie, got to know kim and rick well, but its been a while!!!!!!!🙄 there good peoples!!!!!1   no fish report???????????🤔
    • Wanderer
      All the inventory is on the ice this season!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.