• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Looking at the 10 day forecast, it's highs in the 60s and 70s with no temp below freezing and a variety of wind directions. I think you guys are going to be good to go. 

Would be nice if the big bay webcam was working to get a better feel for ice conditions though

You still can't launch a boat at Aronson's. The ice around the ramp is still pretty thick but it should open up in a few days with the warm forecast that we have up here. The entire west end of Pike bay to Duffy is open and there are some open areas around Hoodoo near the mouths of the rivers. High 60's and low 70's for the next several days and lots of sunshine. ;););) 

"Ace"  ;) 

"It's just fishing man".  ;) 

Here is another current pic of Daisy Bay, starting to pull away from shore a little.

84326F33-BAA6-4D38-8E00-17A00504BFEB.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Careful out there folks!

https://www.wdio.com/news/james-boshey-ice-rescue-lake-vermilion/4892523/?cat=10335

Updated: May 03, 2018 09:51 PM

The St. Louis County Sheriff's Office says a 28-year-old Tower man had to be rescued Thursday after breaking through the ice on Lake Vermilion.

Authorities say James Boshey Jr. tried to rescue a dog that had gone out on Lake Vermilion. Boshey Jr. ended up breaking through the ice on Lake Vermilion near Big Bay in Greenwood Township. The incident happened around 6:47 p.m.

Boshey Jr. was approximately 300 yards on the ice when he broke through the ice, according to the Sheriff's Office. He was able to get himself out of the water to a nearby unnamed island, where he was rescued.

The Greenwood Township Fire Department used their airboat to rescue Boshey Jr. and the dog. Boshey Jr. suffered minor injuries.

The St. Louis County Sheriff's Office is reminding the public to stay off the ice "as no ice is considered safe at this time of the year."

The Boise Forte Police Department, Greenwood Fire and 1st Responders, St. Louis County Rescue Squad, and Tower Ambulance Service helped with the rescue.

Lots of wind and sunshine today with a high in the low 70's, that should melt a lot of ice. ;)  The wind is blowing out of the northwest so it should help to break up some ice out on the main lake. Only 8 days to go. I haven't heard anything about the possibility of Pike bay being closed to angling on the opener. Or if there will be any restrictions as to were you can fish. ;) 

"Ace"  :) 

"It's just fishing man"  ;) 

We are cutting this close. I want to get socks, lifts, and boats in Friday morning.

Pike Bay is open past Duffy Island and down most of the South Shore. Will not be long now!

Looked like some open water on the far north side of Big Bay when looking North off of the hill going down into McKinley Park.

Cliff

Cliff, I hope you are correct.  No matter what, we will be heading up to Norwegian Bay one week from today.  22 years there for opener, 38 years this year total at Life of Riley!  Hope all is well with you, been awhile my friend!

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is a couple of pictures from headolakes bay, scenic wakemup village, my neighbor buddy took.  

Ice still looking pretty tight to shore, for what that's worth.   IMG_20180504_142055.jpg.d123140727b66d67fa4c0614b61570f3.jpgIMG_20180504_173048.jpg.d05ad6c74ed17df2a0d9c2af365c4f76.jpg

You all will be fine, the ice will be gone in a few days. 

I’ll gladly eat a pile of crow if I’m wrong, but I think I’m safe. 

20 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Here is a couple of pictures from headolakes bay, scenic wakemup village, my neighbor buddy took.  

Ice still looking pretty tight to shore, for what that's worth.   IMG_20180504_142055.jpg.d123140727b66d67fa4c0614b61570f3.jpgIMG_20180504_173048.jpg.d05ad6c74ed17df2a0d9c2af365c4f76.jpg

Head-o-lakes bay web cam shows it as wide open today?

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, jkrash said:

Good morning sunshine,

2018-05-05-08-16-28.jpg

Jkrash you should post your drone video here!  It's pretty cool.

34 minutes ago, meerkat said:

Head-o-lakes bay web cam shows it as wide open today?

Looks like ice out there to me.   This is facing south   My buddy was looking north or northwest.  

webcam.jpg

47 minutes ago, jkrash said:

Here you go 

No doubt Frazier Bay will be clear next weekend! Already half there.

• Thumbs Up 1

No chance for me to ice fish on the opener.  Glad that the soft-water anglers will find Vermilion ice-free by Saturday.  I think it will happen Monday night now.

OK with me.  I went canoeing one time like two days after ice out.   It was downright scary the water was so cold. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Daisy Bay just needs a little wind.  Good luck to everyone this weekend, wish I was going to be up but we have a baseball tournament.

BC1FD840-681F-454C-86FE-A104066264F0.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Pike Bay is clear this morning and they were putting the docks in at the Public Landing at HooDoo Point!

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 2

Concerned by how white the ice looks on Big Bay from the webcam.  Is it an optical illusion or am I just being pessimistic?

Looks like we’re open for business in Daisy!  2AAF11EA-5ECD-4B26-9E0B-7ADFAB16067E.thumb.png.4d93e48acec1be9d693fc031d0797478.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Open for business at Everett Bay too.  All the docks are in and the DNR put theirs in at the launch today too.  

Lake vermilion ice out 2018 Everett Bay Lodge.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, RoosterMan said:

Looks like we’re open for business in Daisy!  2AAF11EA-5ECD-4B26-9E0B-7ADFAB16067E.thumb.png.4d93e48acec1be9d693fc031d0797478.png

awesome,  can't wait 'till Saturday!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

That's impressive jkrash. Maybe drones will become the new way of calling the official ice-out.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/16/2018 at 8:02 AM, Cliff Wagenbach said:

They are calling it climate change now! :crazy: Global warming  wasn't working for them!

I fully expect to see Big Bay still frozen over for the opener.

There will be no closures or delays in the opener for Vermilion according to the local DNR.

Cliff

Hi there Cliff !

I am not sure if this is true , but I thought that I now heard that Pike Bay will indeed be closed to fishing for the opener , due to the late spawn , and large congregations of the walleye in the bay . Was just wondering if you know about this , or if it's maybe not true . What you say ? Thank you for your time ...

Pat - why would you go and ruin this with the facts?!?  :grin:  Great link

Edited by SkunkedAgain
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 1