• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

SkunkedAgain

I never was able to get out walleye fishing over Memorial Day weekend, but saw a lot more boats than usual.

mulefarm

Excellent idea!

Wakemup

Also, please excuse the obvious spelling errors and formatting issues- I posted this thread on my phone, which wasn't wanting to cooperate.

StillFishin'

Yes, good idea.  

Latest  from  Wolf bay is that my  buddy  manages to catch a 22" or so eye every night but only one.  Tonight he lost it!  It was not a good night for fishing as it was cold . 

• Thumbs Up 1

TrueNorth

I used to catch a few early season eyes way back in Norwegian and Spring Bay.  Anyone have insight on larger pan fish on the west end?  We don't have the motor to go east but try to do a fish fry one evening during vacation.  

Thank you!

Edited by TrueNorth

Wakemup

Usually I've found some decent panfish in black bay this time of year but I haven't gone after crappies or large sunnies yet.

bassbouncer

Got 4 after work last night. (2) 16", and 18-1/4, and a 20". All west end. Leech and a rig. Missed a few also.

OhioVike

The fishing has been great.  Primarily 14'-18' feet, sometimes 20'. Using a rig and minnows,  we have found them all over the place. Mud, rocks, weeds.  It seems to me the critical factor has been light. Transition periods, dawn, dusk, cloudy to sunny and sunny to cloudy seem to the trigger for more active fish.  Each of my guests left the weekend with there limit of nice keepers.

Deet

Can anyone post the water temps they're seeing lately?

Wakemup

I saw anywhere from 59 to as high as 64 in some of the shallow bays on Monday with the sun.

Smallies were going decent for me this past weekend. Nothing huge but quite a few good numbers of fish. They seemed to be fairly scattered. My biggest was 17" and lots in the 14-16 range.

No walleyes to report for me yet, I'll try again this coming weekend.

image.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

SkunkedAgain

Black Bay was 64.5 degrees on Monday morning when I drove home. Using her "Frozen" kiddie pole, my 4 1/2 year old daughter hauled in a crappie and six nice panfish in the span of 15 minutes from our dock. There are lots of great panfish spots litered all over this lake. We are truly spoiled.

I didn't have luck with the smallmouth as I usually do this time of year from my dock, but I'll try again this weekend. I hooked into some nice northerns on the windward side of bays, just around turns and points. They were gobbling up my topwaters while looking for lunch.

Edited by SkunkedAgain
  • Thumbs Up 2

CigarGuy

Picked up 1/2 dozen crappies and sunfish each night over the long wknd in Black Bay.  No walleyes, usually this time of year I catch a few in the bay and also the channel-only caught 1 slot fish all wknd. 

• Thumbs Up 1

OhioVike

Are there any projected dates for the Mayfly hatch?

Cliff Wagenbach
7 hours ago, OhioVike said:

Are there any projected dates for the Mayfly hatch?

The hatch of the big Hex mayflies is usually between the last week of June and the first week of July.

Cliff

• Thumbs Up 1

Wakemup

Headed up to Vermilion tonight, will post a report hopefully tomorrow. Good luck this weekend to all... Please wave if you see a guy in a green ranger on the West End hopelessly looking for walleyes this weekend :)

delcecchi

Weather is sort of ugly.   Hope it moves on since camping is next, tents in quetico.

bassbouncer

Thursday evening caught 9 kept 3 decent eyes. Weather tonight is awful maybe tomorrow will be better??

• Thumbs Up 1

OhioVike

I have heard several comments about Niles Bay point being hot. I made a short trip and marked only a couple of fish and found some aggressive perch that were a nuisance.  Has anybody worked this area?

Wakemup

I fished a few points in Niles but no walleyes for me on a Jig and minnow or a lindy rig.

I am seeing a few more reports where leeches have been successful and may give that a shot. I am planning on timing on a lighted bobber and fish off the dock at the cabin this evening.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wakemup

Got out this afternoon for a few hours and the fishing was decent despite the cool weather. Brought in a dozen largies and half a dozen pike with one pike over 30". Biggest bass was just over 17". No smallies to speak of.

Water temps between 57-59, all fish caught on a spinner bait. Will do some walleye fishing on a slip bobber this evening.

image.jpeg

bassbouncer
On June 3, 2016 at 10:45 PM, bassbouncer said:

Thursday evening caught 9 kept 3 decent eyes. Weather tonight is awful maybe tomorrow will be better??

Saturday evening caught 26", 22" 17.5", 12" west end with a buddy. Continual cold fronts and unsettled weather are making it a challenge. 

Wakemup

Found a dozen smallies this morning on rocks adjacent to deep water. The largies were in pencil reeds. Looking forward to heading up again next weekend. 

Water temps today ticked up a bit with the sun to 59-61.

Xplorer

Coming up Friday with my 13 year old for the annual "out of school" trip.  He loves casting for bass so that is what we will be doing.  Smallies or Largies, does not matter at all to him, tho we do get into some very good smallie fishing up on Rainy and Namakan on camping trips in July and August so largies are pretty fun for him.  He got 4 last year and that made his day!

Last year we fished the bays from Oak Narrows up to Wolf Bay lodge, had lunch, and fished our way back.  

This year I am thinking of doing the same, but starting at Norwegian Point and working up to the end of the bay, stopping and doing a shore lunch of some type somewhere (any suggestions, since Life of Riley has no restuarant?) and then fishing our way back the other side of the bay til his casting arm is tired:)

Or would Black Bay be a better choice?  

Plan on putting in at either Wakemup campground landing for Norwegian bay, or next to the Landing for Black bay.

Any suggesttions/advice on these options is appreciated!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      We're still OPEN & fishing up at the NW Angle!
      Fishing on the Minnesota side continues to be best early morning and from sundown to dusk. Work deeper edges of the break line in the morning and afternoon, moving up to the flats and points for an evening flurry. With low pressure coming for the weekend expect fishing to be excellent.
      On the Ontario side, Crappie action was really good this past weekend in 30+ feet of water. Lots of fish over 14."
      Lake conditions have drastically improved as water making slush has receded below the ice or has frozen over in most areas. Caution should be used in areas of high current or between islands. 
      Hard water fishing ends April 15th!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Areas of slush on trails in Minnesota are refreezing overnight and are still in good condition if well-traveled.  Walleye action is getting better every day, with mornings and late evening being best.  Rippin’ raps and buckshots are enticing violent strikes; 18-22 ft of water is key. Big northern pike are hitting jiggin’ spoons and tip ups with large baits.

Anglers venturing into Canada continue to find schooled Crappies and big walleye deeper into 30+ feet. A slow presentation is most effective for catching crappies. 

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota snowmobile trail conditions are in good shape. The Baudette trail is great north of Knight Island. Walleye action heats up in periods of stable weather. The best catching is happening in 21-25ft, with the most productive method being a dead-stick beside an actively jigged rattle bait such as a buckshot or rippin’ rap. Glow white/pink is out producing other colors. The late ice bite can be phenomenal on Lake of the Woods, ice permitting we will have houses out through the end of the month!

Canadian fishing is recommended via snowmobile as they are light enough not to drop into the slush as easy as other track vehicles. Crappies are still filling buckets and walleye are actively feeding on reef break lines and points. Walleye season is open through April 14th. 

Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Fishing is really starting to pick up, which usually means Spring is on the way! 

Fishing on the Minnesota side has been best at first and last light, which can make for long days on the ice this time of year.  The Sauger bite has really picked up with a lot good sized eaters coming out of 21-25 ft. The most effective colors for both Walleye and Sauger have been Chartreuse, White, any Glow/lighted/UV (specifically red) and hammered gold. When fishing at depths less than 20 feet, keep an active presentation. Northerns tend to be most active in the early afternoon which is a good time to take a break from jigging and put out a tip-up.

Fishing on the Canadian side has been good since the last snow storm and continues to produce Crappie and Walleye. A light setup for crappies with plastics or larvae has been productive.  

Slush is still frozen in well-traveled areas but it plentiful off trail.  

Fishing will continue to improve as the weather does, there is still a lot of time to fit in a last minute ice fishing trip!!
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota Walleye can be found in 19-23ft early and late in the day.  Rattle baits will call these actively feeding fish to the hole.  Midday action is best adjacent to the break line at 25-29ft.  These fish are preferring a more subtle presentation such as a minnow and plain hook or a spoon with a whole minnow on a dead-stick.  It remains important to constantly re-charge glow baits to keep them productive in the deeper water. 

In Canada, walleye and crappie fishing is good in typical spots. Travel can become difficult in slushy areas, solo travel is not advised. Try to run on previous tracks laid as areas of slush will have frozen over night where machines have packed the trail.  We are no longer running day houses on the Canadian side, however now is your chance to bring snowmobiles, hire a local guide and limit out on the hot March bite! 

We are still offering 50% off mid-week lodging through March! (Sun-Wed nights)

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

Minnesota walleye are being caught at a variety of depths with 24-27’ being the most consistent. Glow red with gold has been a hot combo this week. Rattle baits continue to draw active fish to our houses. Sauger activity has been very strong, providing Anglers the opportunity for full limits before new regulations take effect on March 1st. New limit regulations give a combination of six walleye/sauger with no more than 4 walleye. The slot of 19.5”-28 must be immediately release with one walleye over 28’ to be allowed in possession.

Canadian crappies are still filling buckets and freezers, they can be found near the bottom in 32-35ft. Super light tackle and willingness to keep trying different jig combinations is producing the most fish.  Many tulibee are being seen this week, which make for a tasty treat out of the smoker.  Walleye fishing continues to be very good in traditional areas, depth at 23-28ft. 

Snow depth in our areas is between 2 and 2.5 ft. Trails are in great condition after last weeks snow and wind conditions. 

Until next week, 
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!

On the Minnesota side, we are finding Perch, Walleye and Sauger, with 23-25 ft in the gravel being the most succesful. A lot of fish pulled from these areas were found to be preying on crawfish and spitting them up upon surfacing.  Pink and white has been the top producing color combo once again. It is equally important to keep charging your glow lures. During periods of extreme cold the Dead-stick was most effective. Very nice Saugers are still being caught out of 28-29 ft.  The best action has been early and late in the day. 

Canada has been providing mixed bags, seeing Perch, Crappie, Walleye and big Northerns.  A couple of limits of big crappies again this week, 30-33ft being the most successful depth. Big walleye and northern found in Little Traverse on rock reefs. 

We received 8+ inches of snow within the past few days, trails have large drifts that are hard to see, take caution in low light conditions until trail can be groomed.

Until next week,
      Sunset Lodge

• Sunset Lodge
      By Sunset Lodge
      Hello from the NW Angle!
      Fishing remains consistently strong on the Minnesota side this week. Many species are quick to bite leaving anglers with a very mixed bag at the end of the day. We saw multiple 40+ inch Northern, many Perch, even a Lake Trout among an already strong Walleye bite. 22-24 ft on gravel bottom surrounded by mud has been our best spots. Be sure to charge up any Glow tackle in use, with the increasing snow cover, glow or lighted lures have been hot. Pink/white and gold are also very effective on sunny days.
      The Canadian bite just keeps getting better! Crappies can be found in 30 foot holes while 22-26 ft flats on break lines have been hot for a Sauger/Walleye mix.
      Remember to stick to well-traveled trails as most have not been staked/marked as of yet.
      Until next week!
      Sunset Lodge

• jtnjenn
      By jtnjenn
      What are ice depths in the metro right now?
    • Hatto018
      By Hatto018
      So the weeks betwixt point and click and smoke pole deer hunting always have my ire up to get that last Musky Missile into my hands.  Gotta scrub that slime into my glove until next year.  Going to give the Mississippi below Falls a try here in a few hours.   Might find it frozen, might find a spot to get in.   I'll bring my boat because I'm an optimist,  but I'll bet the kayak is where i end up.   
      Wish me luck, otherwise I have a scheme on my mind for my favorite frozen central mn musky lake. 

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• TSquared
      I fished with a guide on the Detroit River two weeks ago who had the new Panoptix unit ($4000 to get setup).  Incredible what you could see as it is a live image.  Have to say it can frustrate the hell out of you sometime,  you see the fish just looking at your bait and then swimming away.  Very cool tech!  You could actually see the fins on the fish in the image and truly judge the size somewhat.  
    • Spearing Machine
      7-10 days the lake will be ice free. Which will be almost right on average ice out (April 30). Pike bay is open up to Duffy island working up the bay. Paddled from the Pike river up the bay to the ice line tonight. 
    • delcecchi
      Fake chirp as marketing gimmick.    They need something to convince folks to buy their unit and dump their unit from two years ago.    I am reserving judgement on the new higher frequency units.  "mega" and equiv.   Side scan actually seems like it could be useful.  Lots of stuff is changing these days in electronics.       I think what would be cool is an underwater drone with several transducers that communicates back to the boat wirelessly with sonar and video.....    Fresh water doesn't block radio waves too much so probably could use radio communication at least for a limited distance.       Some sort of modulated acoustic waves would work too.       Can't you just see, sitting in the boat, driving the mini-sub around looking  for fish, with sonar to help?   I bet the open water musky guys would pay big bucks for one....😂
    • Kettle
      https://www.valleynewslive.com/content/news/Big-fish-likely-NDs-largest-walleye-ever-caught-508887291.html   16lbs 9 ounces, 32.5 inches, absolute hawg of an eye
    • Cooperman
      Unbelievable! For a fish?
    • eyeguy 54
      no prob that you want to die fishing. but no sense in hurrying it up. lol 
    • smurfy
      Wowzer, again.🙄
    • walros
      Heading up to Wheelers Thursday for sturgeon.
    • side_laker
      Heading up to the river in the morning trying to decide if I should fish up the river or out if wheelers. 
    • Jim Almquist
      Sure wish we would get a strong enough east wind to pile the ice on shore. Lot of ice out there and it will take a long time if it has to all melt.