• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Not to be depressing, but I think we are about six weeks away from full ice out.  Perhaps May 21st, hope I am wrong.  What will they do with the Walleye tournament if we are still fighting ice?

14 minutes ago, JerkinLips said:

May 23rd is my guess.

That would tie the record set in 1950 for latest ice out ever, in the 99 years that records have been kept. 

I’m guessing somewhere around the tourney date.  Being I’m entered, there is no way in hell I will be fishing if there is ANY ice left on the lake. Too much money invested in my fiberglass hull. Would be expecting my entry fee back..IMO. It’s the weather, can’t control it, but shi&&y all around. I can wait. 

It is not looking good at all. We are at or past the average ice out for most twin cities lakes right now, and it hasn't even started yet here. At least another week of below average temps. We might have the latest data ever unless we get some way above average temperatures. 

Via accuweather, the 1st night forecast above freezing is May 3rd.  Then it takes a big turn to the ??  We’ll see...cross your fingees

Just saw that we’ve had the 2nd coldest spring on record so far - second only to the spring of 1936. Vermilion was ice free on May 10th that year. Trying to stay positive here...

• Thumbs Up 1

Another snow storm predicted for this weekend.  I am thinking ice out will be the latest ever recorded...Going with a Memorial weekend ice out...:(:mad:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1

Yeah this is a really cold April and is on pace for one of the coldest.  Won't get much melt for the first half, or even two thirds of April.  That doesn't leave much time..#heatwave.

Tom,

Hopefully the Leafs will go deep into the playoffs! This will help ease the pain of a late start to the fishing season.

Go Leafs!!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Hey guys if this hits the area start looking for ice house for opener! Leave boat in storage until August.

7CA8E5F8-B4E0-4829-80C5-2B05B1E4B00B.png

It's setting up for a very late ice out once again . My personal belief is that this could once again become a record late ice out .. I have watched  ice outs all my life ,studied statistics for many years , going back many years ...  There are so many variables when it comes to ice outs ... ice thickness and ice make up ,meaning hardness or softness of given ice throughout the winter and spring , snowfall amounts throughout winter and spring , springtime highs and low temperatures , wind speeds , wind directions , and changes in these directions that create ice shifting and movements , and rainfalls during ice meltdowns... Given certain variables, ice can go quite quick , or linger on for a long period of time ... even black , last ice can linger on for long periods .. As of today things don't look good at all for our ice out for this year . Our long range is colder than average temps both daytime and nighttime , more forecasted snow approaching,  we have a lot of thick , hard ice , . That overnight low temp not getting above freezing can really hurt the situation in the long run .. I too really used to have that wishful thinking that the ice would be out for the opener , and still do , BUT realistically it's really looking late his year  , once again ..  I know it's hard to see late ice outs , but in my past late ice out years , when the ice out has finally come and gone , the spawn is usually better , and the bite that follows is usually strong also  with the faster warming water temps that tend to follow such. .. . So hang in there all , It will eventually happen , it always has !!!   On one more note  , on years when we here in Minnesota have our late ice outs , our good neighbors to the north in Canada ,  can have even later dates for there ice outs that stretch well into June . Ugh!! 

Hey moose buddy’s and I were talking About that this morning for our area weather channel is saying 16-27”. We’re all done with winter but agreed it would be sweet to get that much snow. I mean heck it’s almost mid April and you can pretty much drive a truck anywhere last year we were on open water and it was 70 degrees! I give up winter will never end. Let’s look at the bright side we have snow and let’s get the sleds back out :lol: I went open water fishing on Lake Superior last weekend for 4 days. Came back done here and said ice fishing is dumb I quit. I LOVE ice fishing but open watered trying to go back to ice is really hard!

Has anyone actually been measuring ice depth on Vermilion? I tend to expect we are not only not losing ice but could even be adding. Great news if you want to be able to tell the grandkids how you fished opener from your ice shelter once. Not so good if you've got open water fever really bad!

What do you all think about the possibility of open water in the Narrows of the lake by the first week in May? 

I was trying to explain to my wife last night the extraordinary significance of all of this - namely since records have been kept this will almost certainly be the latest ice out ever on Vermilion.  

We are disappointed from a rental perspective- as we often get a few weeks around opening until we come up in July - but even more so for our resort owner friends and neighbors …

Our trip will start second week of July - it will be interesting trying to figure out the Walleye / Musky fishing patterns given the late ice out …

Funny it’s almost as if God has a sense of humor related to the global warming zealots ?

• Yayyyy 1

I took a spin around Wakemup and head of the lakes bays last night on my snowmobile. Like everyone else is saying it’s going to be way late. There is zero open water in any narrows or off southern exposed points. None anywhere. 14-day forecast shows below freezing every night and the highest highs are in the 40’s. Need 60+ degrees, wind and rain to get rid of it. And nighttime melting. 

On 4/9/2018 at 11:50 AM, delcecchi said:

That would tie the record set in 1950 for latest ice out ever, in the 99 years that records have been kept. 

Let's break the record and go to May 24.  I may put the fish house out on opener.

NO FEAR ~~~  Always be prepared.  Totally cool 2nd rig just for these type springs...an ready for it all.

Big Smiles!

T

LundTracks.jpg

• Yayyyy 3

Tom, I thought you would be more serious about such a thing.  Maybe all you need is a little inspiration.

• Yayyyy 2

I'm thinking 24-28 days after the first day where the temperatures stays above freezing for 24 hours. Looking at the forecast, that is probably week of April 23rd sometime. So May 21-24 would be my guess.

I've given up on opener and weekend after. Hoping ice is gone for Memorial day weekend.

I blame Al Gore for this!  We were headed in the right direction until he messed things up. You'd think a guy smart enough to invent the internet would know better.  :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

I checked Ice thickness in front of our place today, there's about 3" of snow and 25" of ice. I think there's still hope for an ice free opener for part of the lake. 

Ice out occurs about 3 weeks after the snow leaves the woods.:pufff:

• Thumbs Up 1

I need to put the pumps in extra early this year around my dock. Maybe I can speed up Ice out in our bay that will spread to the main channel. Main lake will be locked down I think for opener. Ice out up there is usually 2 weeks behind the cities. I saw a truck or van on Centerville Lake yesterday afternoon Wednesday April 11th.

No talk of the DNR delaying openers yet. I do not recall many closures over the last 15 years.

Good Luck

Steve

This morning, I reminded the checkout lady at Menards that this delayed spring really means that we've got a couple more weeks of reprieve from the biting insects. I'm always looking at the bright side of things.

Like everyone else, I've never ice fished the opener and think that would be one whopper of a memory. I may be walking across the ice to get to my place, or even pulling my canoe behind me on a rope. I'll be there one way or another.

I've never heard of the DNR delaying opener but am always by surprised by life.

Don't think the DNR will delay opener, but i seem to recall the DNR shutting down fishing in Pike Bay on opener one year, due to ongoing spawn. Am i mis-remembering?

• Thumbs Up 1

No delay or date change that I can recall , but do remember Pike Bay being closed until 2nd weekend. Same thing happened over in my neck of the woods on Cutfoot. Guessing even if the lake opens close to opener, you may see a closure there again.  

Mmm I was wondering about coming up before opener to get my stuff for the canoe trip.  Looking more like a quick trip rather than turn on the water, put the dock in trip.    

On 4/11/2018 at 4:00 PM, jkrash said:

I checked Ice thickness in front of our place today, there's about 3" of snow and 25" of ice. I think there's still hope for an ice free opener for part of the lake. 

Ice out occurs about 3 weeks after the snow leaves the woods.:pufff:

From your lips to God's ears....