• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Join In - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

You know what we all love...

The same things you do!!!! Share what you love & enjoy in the outdoors as well as thank those whose posts you 'appreciate.'

Have Fun!!!

cartway

Not to be depressing, but I think we are about six weeks away from full ice out.  Perhaps May 21st, hope I am wrong.  What will they do with the Walleye tournament if we are still fighting ice?

JerkinLips

May 23rd is my guess.

delcecchi
14 minutes ago, JerkinLips said:

May 23rd is my guess.

That would tie the record set in 1950 for latest ice out ever, in the 99 years that records have been kept. 

slovene

I’m guessing somewhere around the tourney date.  Being I’m entered, there is no way in hell I will be fishing if there is ANY ice left on the lake. Too much money invested in my fiberglass hull. Would be expecting my entry fee back..IMO. It’s the weather, can’t control it, but shi&&y all around. I can wait. 

jparrucci

It is not looking good at all. We are at or past the average ice out for most twin cities lakes right now, and it hasn't even started yet here. At least another week of below average temps. We might have the latest data ever unless we get some way above average temperatures. 

slovene

Via accuweather, the 1st night forecast above freezing is May 3rd.  Then it takes a big turn to the ??  We’ll see...cross your fingees

BrianF

Just saw that we’ve had the 2nd coldest spring on record so far - second only to the spring of 1936. Vermilion was ice free on May 10th that year. Trying to stay positive here...

• Like 1

Finnish Flash

Another snow storm predicted for this weekend.  I am thinking ice out will be the latest ever recorded...Going with a Memorial weekend ice out...:(:mad:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

OhioVike

Yeah this is a really cold April and is on pace for one of the coldest.  Won't get much melt for the first half, or even two thirds of April.  That doesn't leave much time..#heatwave.

mulefarm

Tom,

Hopefully the Leafs will go deep into the playoffs! This will help ease the pain of a late start to the fishing season.

Go Leafs!!

• Like 2

monstermoose78

Hey guys if this hits the area start looking for ice house for opener! Leave boat in storage until August.

7CA8E5F8-B4E0-4829-80C5-2B05B1E4B00B.png

Bigfatbert

It's setting up for a very late ice out once again . My personal belief is that this could once again become a record late ice out .. I have watched  ice outs all my life ,studied statistics for many years , going back many years ...  There are so many variables when it comes to ice outs ... ice thickness and ice make up ,meaning hardness or softness of given ice throughout the winter and spring , snowfall amounts throughout winter and spring , springtime highs and low temperatures , wind speeds , wind directions , and changes in these directions that create ice shifting and movements , and rainfalls during ice meltdowns... Given certain variables, ice can go quite quick , or linger on for a long period of time ... even black , last ice can linger on for long periods .. As of today things don't look good at all for our ice out for this year . Our long range is colder than average temps both daytime and nighttime , more forecasted snow approaching,  we have a lot of thick , hard ice , . That overnight low temp not getting above freezing can really hurt the situation in the long run .. I too really used to have that wishful thinking that the ice would be out for the opener , and still do , BUT realistically it's really looking late his year  , once again ..  I know it's hard to see late ice outs , but in my past late ice out years , when the ice out has finally come and gone , the spawn is usually better , and the bite that follows is usually strong also  with the faster warming water temps that tend to follow such. .. . So hang in there all , It will eventually happen , it always has !!!   On one more note  , on years when we here in Minnesota have our late ice outs , our good neighbors to the north in Canada ,  can have even later dates for there ice outs that stretch well into June . Ugh!! 

AlwaysFishing23

Hey moose buddy’s and I were talking About that this morning for our area weather channel is saying 16-27”. We’re all done with winter but agreed it would be sweet to get that much snow. I mean heck it’s almost mid April and you can pretty much drive a truck anywhere last year we were on open water and it was 70 degrees! I give up winter will never end. Let’s look at the bright side we have snow and let’s get the sleds back out :lol: I went open water fishing on Lake Superior last weekend for 4 days. Came back done here and said ice fishing is dumb I quit. I LOVE ice fishing but open watered trying to go back to ice is really hard!

Pat McGraw

Has anyone actually been measuring ice depth on Vermilion? I tend to expect we are not only not losing ice but could even be adding. Great news if you want to be able to tell the grandkids how you fished opener from your ice shelter once. Not so good if you've got open water fever really bad!

SupraFishin

What do you all think about the possibility of open water in the Narrows of the lake by the first week in May? 

Bob Schultz

I was trying to explain to my wife last night the extraordinary significance of all of this - namely since records have been kept this will almost certainly be the latest ice out ever on Vermilion.  

We are disappointed from a rental perspective- as we often get a few weeks around opening until we come up in July - but even more so for our resort owner friends and neighbors …

Our trip will start second week of July - it will be interesting trying to figure out the Walleye / Musky fishing patterns given the late ice out …

Funny it’s almost as if God has a sense of humor related to the global warming zealots ?

• Haha 1

bassbouncer

I took a spin around Wakemup and head of the lakes bays last night on my snowmobile. Like everyone else is saying it’s going to be way late. There is zero open water in any narrows or off southern exposed points. None anywhere. 14-day forecast shows below freezing every night and the highest highs are in the 40’s. Need 60+ degrees, wind and rain to get rid of it. And nighttime melting. 

JerkinLips
On 4/9/2018 at 11:50 AM, delcecchi said:

That would tie the record set in 1950 for latest ice out ever, in the 99 years that records have been kept. 

Let's break the record and go to May 24.  I may put the fish house out on opener.

TomWehler

NO FEAR ~~~  Always be prepared.  Totally cool 2nd rig just for these type springs...an ready for it all.

Big Smiles!

T

LundTracks.jpg

• Haha 3

OhioVike

Tom, I thought you would be more serious about such a thing.  Maybe all you need is a little inspiration.

• Haha 2

chucker1101

I'm thinking 24-28 days after the first day where the temperatures stays above freezing for 24 hours. Looking at the forecast, that is probably week of April 23rd sometime. So May 21-24 would be my guess.

I've given up on opener and weekend after. Hoping ice is gone for Memorial day weekend.

Capt. Quicksteel

I blame Al Gore for this!  We were headed in the right direction until he messed things up. You'd think a guy smart enough to invent the internet would know better.  :) 

• Like 1

jkrash

I checked Ice thickness in front of our place today, there's about 3" of snow and 25" of ice. I think there's still hope for an ice free opener for part of the lake. 

Ice out occurs about 3 weeks after the snow leaves the woods.:pufff:

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      On the last day to target predator species during this Ice Fishing season I went out on Lake Vermilion. I setup for the morning on a break where I usually catch Walleye's with a few Yellow Perch mixed in but on this outing I caught mainly Jumbo Perch! Plus one bonus fish that took me over 4 minutes to get up the hole...

• OhioVike
      By OhioVike
      I have $50 to spend on Musky lures for a 14 year old boy.  Last fall he caught a nice musky, from my kayak, and was unable to land it to get a picture.  He did get it up to the kayak several times so he got a good look at it and has been bit by the Musky Fishing Bug.  I am looking for suggestions for the young man and was hoping to get some help here.  
    • AlwaysFishing23
      By AlwaysFishing23
      Hey everyone, coming up on friday and wanted to see if anyone has been catching any around the pike bay area what techniques have been working and if there has been any smallies been caught around that area also? Thanks!
    • Wakemup
      By Wakemup
      I have been thinking it would be nice to have a thread for fishing reports specifically on the West End lake. Everyone knows that the east has more walleyes so it seems most of the reports are geared toward the east end. 
      Not always, but it often seems The fishing report from the east vs west can be very different and I think a separate thread might help people (myself included) out who fish the west end. 
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      By Cliff Wagenbach
      The walleye bite has been very good most of August for me.
      Most of my walleyes have been caught on sand/rock reefs located in the main lake basins.
      The standard depths has been 16 feet to 23 feet with almost nothing coming from water deeper then 26 feet. A few walleyes have been caught in 8 foot to 14 foot  sandy areas also.
      The average size of the walleyes has increased a little. Most of our keeper sized fish are now running 14" to 16".
      Not as many bigger slot fish showing up in our daily catch now though. Maybe one or two a day that are in the 18" to 22" range.
      Lindy rigs baited with 1/2 crawler is still my go to presentation, although the past week I have been using Uncle Josh Pork Crawlers on my rigs with great success!
      I tried this bait on a whim just to see if it would work and have found it to be just as effective as the real crawler! A real advantage is that the Rusties cannot eat it off of the hook and I can easily catch 6 to 8 walleyes on one piece before I have to either re-bait or re-hook it! It also tends to float a little which makes it even more effective!
      Good fishing!
      Cliff

• airnuts
      By airnuts
      Coming up for our annual "boys" fishing trip June 30 - July 4th. Staying on Frazer Bay fishing for walleyes. Was up a month ago but only managed 4 keepers for a fry, no slot fish. We were there primarily to repair docks for my brother-in-laws folks place so we only fished a couple of times. This time will be primarily fishing. Sounds like the mayfly hatch will be over by the time we arrive, hope to read some fishing reports after this weekend. Our past success is usually slip-bobbering the reefs in 20 FOW with what ever bait is recommended at the time.
      Thanks!
      Kevin
    • MarkB
      By MarkB
      My wife and I continue to venture out on a fairly regular basis. We've only missed one day since the last post. The water continues to warm and has been holding pretty steady in the low 70's. We have been continuing our bobber onslaught and we have definitely noticed a pattern of fewer bites and smaller average fish. We have still been catching a good percentage of 20"+ walleyes. I figure the fishing is going good when we can average 20-25% slot fish on an outing. The 15"-17"+ size walleyes that were making up a good percentage of our catch the past couple of weeks have definitely tapered off. We are beginning to revert to a 50% dink average Lots of smallish bass, 12"-14", have been showing up on the rocks with the walleyes. They're fun to catch but kind of a pain when targeting big walleyes. We've been eating more fish of late and the last meal or two involved walleyes that were absolutely stuffed with mayflies We are still finding the walleye in the rocks adjacent to deeper water. 18'-24' has been productive depths for us.
      We are going to change our method on our next outing. It's time for us to get back to the bottom bouncers. I've got a flat of crawlers that are just screaming to get into the game We will most likely stick with leeches also and add a floater to the terminal tackle in back of the hook and bead. I would think that most reefs with close by deep water will be holding walleyes. We'll keep posting to let you know what we find.
      Good Fishing,
      MarkB
    • TenPoundEyes
      By TenPoundEyes
      Looking for any action for our wives................. any help appreciated. McKinley Campground is where we will be launching from.  Panfish smallies........ dont matter just some action. Have a pontoon and looking to anchor up somewhere.

Thank You!
    • MarkB
      By MarkB
      Since our guests left, lots of things not related to fishing has been going on. I've been recuperating from a heart procedure and my boat has been recuperating from Aronson's replacing the damaged motor parts. Both of us are much better now, so, my wife and I ventured out and tried our luck this afternoon. I'm not supposed to lift over 10#'s for a few more days and it took me most of the morning to convince her that the anchors only weighed 10#'s. Anyway, it was good to get back out again. We left the house around 4:00 and actually started fishing at 4:30. We were home by 7:15. It seemed like boat traffic was about normal and Daisy Bay water temps were 69.5 degrees when we left. The warmest water we saw on our outing was 71.5 and the water we fished was 69.5 degrees. I drove straight out to a reef we've been fishing on and off for the past couple of weeks. A slight breeze out of the SE made anchoring easy and we were ready to go.
      My wife uses a casting reel and while she is excellent at trolling, I usually cast her line while bobber fishing to hold down the back lashes. Prior to casting her line, I had to re-tie her because she broke off on a northern just as we quit during our previous outing. I estimated the bobber stop depth, baited a leech, and cast her out. As I was reaching for my pole, her bobber went down and she missed the fish. I re-baited her and cast her back out. Before she took the pole from me, her bobber went down again! She missed again! This scenario went on for ~1/2 hour! I never got my line in the water, she missed maybe 8 fish, lost 2 halfway to the boat, landed 3-16.5", a 21.5", and a 22". It was unreal! I finally got baited and threw into the same area. I got 2 bites in the first hour or so. Obviously something was wrong with my set-up. I lowered my stop another foot and started getting bites.
      This fishing was as good as it gets. We ended up landing 12 walleyes and one northern. We caught 5 slot fish from 21.5"-24", and 7 others from 14.5"-16.5". The 14.5" walleye was actually 3/4 of a fish. A really BIG northern grabbed the fish after it was hooked and I fought the northern all the way to the boat where we got a real good look at it. When the northern finally let go of the walleye, I reeled what was left on in. The walleye was almost ripped in half and its entrails were pretty much gone! I've had several big muskies grab walleyes on the way to the boat but that's the first big northern I've had do it.
      I've said that speed is the key to success when trolling. I am now saying that depth is equally important when slip bobber fishing. If someone in your boat seems to be getting all the bites and catching all the fish, reel in your line and theirs and match the depth setting exactly. Last thought, we travelled a fair distance today and saw no evidence of mayflies except for hordes in the water column in places.
      Good Fishing,
      MarkB

• MarkB
      By MarkB
      It's amazing how fast time flies when people,fish, and good times mix together perfectly  My cousin and his Buddy arrived here last Saturday and, this morning, they left for home. I always get a bit edgy this time of the year in preparation for their annual outing: pre-visit fish location, most effective angling method, peak activity periods, etc. Fortunately, everything came together and they enjoyed what they termed as one of their 3 best trips ever!
      I found during the pre-visit fish location that the walleyes were located on reef tops. During 5 days of fishing, we fished reef tops ranging in depth from 6'-18'. Specifically, we fished  one reef at 6', another at 10', one at 15', and a fourth at 18'. Clouds and wind dictated the preference for a particular day. The reefs were strung out from Frasier Bay to the east end of Big Bay. I had two people ask if we fished the Comet Island reefs and the answer is we did not. I always marked fish before we spent much time on the deeper reefs we fished. The shallow reef was pull up, throw out the anchors and fish.
      The most effective angling method, hands down, was slip bobbers. We caught fish trolling but the guys I was fishing with weren't accustomed to snaggy rocky reefs and the experience with constant snags was frustrating. So, we used slip bobbers and had phenomenal success. We set the hooks for 2' shallower than what the sonar read(except the shallow reef) and caught walleyes, smallmouth, and northern. The only bait we used while slip bobber fishing was leeches. There were spots we fished that were swarmed with mayflies in the water column.
      Our peak activity period was most definitely evening from ~5:00-9:00. We fished mid morning time slots but found the bigger fish were mostly caught very early morning and the above mentioned evening time. Mildly windy days helped the mid-day bite but nothing compared to 5:00-9:00 in the evening.
      Me, my cousin and his Buddy fished for 5 days and caught over 100 walleyes during their stay. We caught 23 slot fish from 18"-26"(lots of 21's and 22's) and we ate walleyes twice during their visit. We caught 5 northerns with the biggest at 32". The bass fishing was spectacular and while quantity was no problem, the biggest we could muster was 17.5".
      It was a blue ribbon trip and great fun was had by all........
      Good Fishing,
      MarkB
      The attached pictures are not included because of gargantuan fish size but because the parties involved probably appreciated the lake as much as anyone will this season..............

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• MJ1657
      Slow for us on Sunday but we shot a Golden Eye so that was kind of cool.   Not sure why it was hanging around Cambridge this time of year. 
    • Rick
      Population estimate statistically unchanged from last year Minnesota’s wolf population estimate was 2,655 wolves and 465 wolf packs during the winter of 2017-2018 within Minnesota’s wolf range, an estimate that is statistically unchanged from the previous winter, according to the Department of Natural Resources. “Subtle changes in wolf population numbers year to year indicate that Minnesota supports a healthy wolf population and the long-term trends demonstrate that the wolf population is fully recovered,” said Dan Stark, large carnivore specialist for the DNR. The survey’s margin of error was plus or minus about 700 wolves and makes the estimate statistically unchanged from the previous winter’s estimate of approximately 2,856 wolves and 500 wolf packs. The population survey is conducted in mid-winter near the low point of the annual population cycle. Immediately following birth of pups each spring, the wolf population typically doubles, though many pups do not survive to the following winter. Pack counts during winter are assumed to represent minimum estimates given the challenges with detecting all members of a pack together at the same time. Survey results suggest pack sizes were the same as last year (4.85 versus 4.8) and packs used larger territories (61 versus 54 square miles) than the previous winter. Although neither individually represented a significant change from recent years, slightly larger pack territories last winter explain the lower population estimate and are consistent with estimated changes in deer numbers in many parts of the wolf range. “The accuracy of our wolf population estimate is dependent on radio-collaring a representative sample of wolf packs,” said Dr. John Erb, DNR wolf research biologist. Annual wolf capture efforts are focused on areas for radio-collaring that are believed to collectively represent the overall wolf range, particularly with respect to land cover and deer density. Capture success varies each year, some collared wolves die or disperse, and some radio-collars prematurely fail, creating annual variability in the degree to which collared packs are representative of the entire population. “Nonetheless, confidence intervals for the past two surveys widely overlap, indicating no significant change from last year,” Erb said. Although wolf population estimates have been conducted annually since 2012, the portion of the survey that is used to calculate total and pack-occupied wolf range is completed every five years. This past winter’s survey estimated a 9,321 square mile increase in total wolf range from the 2012-2013 wolf population survey; however, the survey results indicated that only about 23 percent of this new area, or 2,175 square miles, was deemed to be occupied by resident wolf packs during the winter of 2017-2018. Minnesota’s wolf population remains above the state’s minimum goal of at least 1,600 wolves and is above the federal recovery goal of 1,251 to 1,400 wolves. The DNR’s goal for wolf management, as outlined in the state’s wolf management plan, is to ensure the long-term survival of wolves in Minnesota while addressing wolf-human conflicts. Wolves in Minnesota returned to the federal list of threatened species as a result of a Washington, D.C. federal district court ruling in December 2014. Visit the DNR website at mndnr.gov/wolves to find the full report, an FAQ and an overview of wolf management in the state, including the wolf management plan. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Richfield artist Timothy Turenne won the Minnesota Pheasant Habitat Stamp contest. The painting was selected by judges from among 11 submissions for the annual contest sponsored by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.  Turenne is a three-time winner of the pheasant stamp contest and his painting will be featured on the 2019 pheasant habitat stamp. The pheasant stamp validation for hunting is $7.50 and is required for pheasant hunters ages 18 to 64. For an extra 75 cents, purchasers can receive the validation as well as the pictorial stamp in the mail. It also is sold as a collectible. Revenue from stamp sales is dedicated to pheasant habitat management and protection. Three entries advanced as finalists and were selected Sept. 20 at DNR headquarters in St. Paul. Other finalists were Ryan Stigman of Perham, second place; and Edward DuRose of Roseville, third place. The DNR offers no prizes for the stamp contest winner, but the winning artist retains the right to reproduce the work. The 2019 pheasant stamp will be available for sale in March. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Wakemup
      I like costa's green mirror or blue mirror personally.
    • Rick
      Youth ages 10-15 can participate in a special deer season that runs from Thursday, Oct. 18, to Sunday, Oct. 21, in 28 permit areas of southeastern and northwestern Minnesota, including in the Twin Cities metro permit area 601, according to the Department of Natural Resources.  “Youth deer season is about giving kids a unique opportunity to get out into the woods with a parent or mentor,” said James Burnham, DNR recruitment, retention and reactivation (R3) coordinator. “Many students get a couple days off school for teacher workshops during the youth season so the break is a great time to go hunting and help share the passion for being outside that so many of Minnesota’s hunters and anglers have.” Deer permit areas open to the hunt are: 101, 105, 111, 114, 201, 203, 208, 209, 256, 257, 260, 263, 264, 267, 268, 338, 339, 341, 342, 343, 344 (including Whitewater State Game Refuge), 345, 346, 347, 348, 349, 601 and 603. Blaze orange or blaze pink requirements apply to all hunters, trappers and adult mentors in areas open for the youth firearms deer season. Public land is open, and private land is open if the hunters have landowner permission. Since it was first implemented in 2004, the youth deer season has expanded and encompassed new areas – creating a growing number of opportunities to develop Minnesota’s next generation of hunters. Passing along the annual fall deer hunting tradition does more than contribute to the bottom line of businesses in communities across Minnesota. It helps fund conservation efforts that benefit wildlife, habitat and water quality, making a better Minnesota for all. How to participate Youth ages 10 through 15 must obtain a firearms deer license. Youth ages 12 to 15 need to have completed firearms safety or, if not, can obtain an apprentice hunter validation. During the youth season, a parent, guardian or mentor age 18 or older must accompany the youth and only need a license if the youth is taking advantage of the apprentice validation option. Party hunting on a youth license is not allowed – so youth must take and tag their own deer. The bag limit for the youth season is one deer only. Youth may use their regular license or a bonus permit if they take an antlerless deer, regardless of the management designation. Bucks must be tagged with the youth’s regular license. Participation does not affect eligibility for the regular deer season; however, the harvested deer counts against the youth’s annual statewide bag limit and the bag limit for the deer permit area. If hunting in permit areas 346, 348, 349 and 603, the early antlerless only season is in effect from Oct. 18 to Oct. 21, so adults and youth can hunt at the same time in these areas; however, if a youth harvests a deer and wishes to continue hunting during the early antlerless only season they must purchase an early antlerless permit. Tags and CWD testing in permit area 603 In permit area 603, youth hunters may purchase and use disease management tags but only for antlerless deer. Disease management tags may be purchased at any electronic license vendor, online or by telephone and are valid without first purchasing a regular deer license. The tags cost $1.50 plus issuing fees. Youth hunters in permit area 603 must have their adult deer tested for chronic wasting disease (CWD) by providing the head of all adult deer in one of five head collection boxes (see page 64 of the 2018 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Handbook for location details). After the head of these deer are provided for sampling, the hunter cannot move the carcass out of the permit area until a not detected test result is received. Properly cut-up deer and boned-out meat can be taken out of the area provided no brain matter or spinal column material is attached. A tent and tripod to hang deer is provided by the Bluffland Whitetails Association at the Preston DNR Forestry office. This is available to hunters to allow them to quarter their deer, leave the carcass remains in a provided dumpster, and give them options so quarters or meat can leave the 603 zone before receiving a CWD test result. Information on proper steps to follow after harvesting a deer in permit area 603 or to check CWD test results is available on the DNR website at mndnr.gov/cwd. CWD testing during the early antlerless and youth season outside the CWD zone is not required. Mandatory testing will occur on Saturday, Nov. 3, and Sunday, Nov. 4, and Saturday, Nov. 17, and Sunday, Nov. 18, during the first two days of the firearms A and B deer seasons in these areas. More information about the youth season can be found on page 35 of the 2018 Minnesota Hunting and Trapping Regulations Handbook and online at mndnr.gov/regulations/hunting. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Hunters in portions of southeastern Minnesota can once again harvest antlerless deer in an early antlerless-only season from Thursday, Oct. 18, to Sunday, Oct. 21, in deer permit areas 346, 348, 349 and 603 in Fillmore, Houston, Olmsted and Winona counties, according to the Department of Natural Resources. “The goal of this hunt is to reduce the deer populations in these areas with higher deer densities because of damage to agricultural crops and increased risk of chronic wasting disease spreading,” said Erik Thorson, acting big game program leader. “Any antlerless deer harvested as part of this hunt do not count against an individual’s normal statewide or deer permit area bag limit, so they can be considered extra deer.” Deer populations in permit areas 346, 348 and 349 have been over the population goals established in 2014 for multiple seasons. The antlerless-only season is intended to help move populations toward established goals, reduce damage to resources and provide additional hunting opportunity. How to participate Public land is limited in the early antlerless hunt areas and hunters need to ask permission to hunt private lands. All deer must be tagged with an appropriate permit. There are a few permit and license options for those who want to participate. With at least one valid early antlerless permit, and a valid archery, firearms or muzzleloader deer license for all four open permit areas. With bonus permits and at least one valid early antlerless permit, as well as a valid archery, firearms or muzzleloader deer license for all four open permit areas. In permit area 603 with disease management tags. Any hunter of legal age may purchase and use an unlimited number of disease management tags to harvest antlerless deer during the early antlerless-only hunt in permit area 603. They are available for $1.50 plus issuing fees wherever deer licenses are sold and are valid without any additional licenses. Disease management tags may not be used outside permit area 603. In the early antlerless deer hunt, only antlerless deer may be taken, the bag limit is five, and hunters may use up to five early antlerless permits or other valid permits. Deer harvested during the special season do not count toward a hunter’s statewide limit during other deer seasons. Early antlerless deer permits cost $7.50 for residents, $40 for nonresidents, and may be purchased wherever hunting licenses are sold. The early antlerless season coincides with the four-day special youth deer season. More information can be found at mndnr.gov/hunting/deer. CWD testing in permit area 603 Hunters in permit area 603 must have their adult deer tested for chronic wasting disease (CWD) by providing the head of all adult deer in one of five head collection boxes (see page 64 of the 2018 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Handbook for location details). After the head of these deer are provided for sampling, the hunter cannot move the carcass out of the permit area until a not detected test result is received. Properly cut-up deer and boned-out meat can be taken out of the area provided no brain matter or spinal column material is attached. A tent and tripod to hang deer is provided by the Bluffland Whitetails Association at the Preston DNR Forestry office. This is available to hunters to allow them to quarter their deer, leave the carcass remains in a provided dumpster, and give them options so quarters or meat can leave the 603 zone before receiving a CWD test result. Information on proper steps to follow after harvesting a deer in permit area 603 or to check CWD test results is available on the DNR website at mndnr.gov/cwd. CWD testing during the early antlerless and youth season outside the CWD zone is not required. Mandatory testing will occur on Saturday, Nov. 3, and Sunday, Nov. 4, and Saturday, Nov. 17, and Sunday, Nov. 18, during the first two days of the firearms A and B deer seasons in these areas. Individuals can voluntarily have deer tested for CWD through the Veterinary Diagnostic Lab at the University of Minnesota for a fee. More information is available online at vdl.umn.edu or by telephone at 612-625-8787. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • jgrimmz
      I had a good opener, also with ten. We should have taken a lot more, but shooting, jitters, and other factors prevented it (as usual). For us, Sunday was really slow, but still managed to bag a few. 
    • Parmer
      That's a good idea thanks. 
    • fish_time
      We love it when we catch a muskie, but it can be such a grind!   
    • mbeyer
      Just got back from five days on the lake. We were fishing for walleye in the end fun with limits already taken. We are on an island and the dock bite was very good. Slip bobbers with either rainbows or chubs. Also, walking the island and casting tubes was also productive for larger walleye. Off the point of the island, under dock, near rocks. I guess that means we caught most of our fish shallow. Wind was our friend, to a point. Didn't like some of the gusts but wind blown shore and points were key. Follow the wind.   Smallmouth were not shallow. We did work some shoreline but did not find those fish up shallow. We did run into some smallmouth on the points, etc deeper while fishing for walleye.