• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

RiverChuckNorris

New Early Ice Mille Lacs video (Superior Angling)

RiverChuckNorris

My first foray into tv land.  Grant invited me to co-host an early ice episode on Mille Lacs last week.  We showed up like any weekend warrior with no intel and proceeded to try to figure the lake out.

This is just the teaser.  The full episode will air in January and then be available on Superior Angling's YouTube channel.

Give it a share/like if you enjoy it.  Thanks in advance!

Stick in Mud

Very cool!  I'll definitely check it out.  

How did you guys do?!? 

RiverChuckNorris

It was a tough grind, especially given the cold and windy conditions with high pressure moving in but we found fish.  Lost quite a few, including a couple BIG girls, mostly due to freezing reels/drags.

It was amazing seeing how much goes into making a show and how tough it is to get the fish on camera when you aren't banging one after another.  We caught 5 or 6 that didn't make camera just out of distance when we were in search mode.

Full episode airs in Duluth area mid to late January and then will be posted on YT/FB page of Superior angling thereafter.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• AdamT
      By AdamT
      I have a week trip planned for opening week on the big pond.  Should I reschedule?  I know the record ice out for that lake is May 16th. Does it look like that will be broken this year?
    • MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      A group of high school buddies and some of their family make an Annual trip up to Baudette, MN to fish Walleyes on Lake of the Woods. I look forward to this trip every year! Since this is an Annual Trip we all put some money and bragging rights on the line for the Angler who can catch the biggest fish of the weekend, take home the Trophy & $500 Cash and call themselves "Mr. Walleye" for the year. It was a tight race going into the last day with not many Slot Fish caught but one bite is all it takes...

• Pat McGraw
      By Pat McGraw
      Has anyone targeted whitefish on Vermilion, specifically Frazer Bay? Any tips?
    • MN BassFisher
      By MN BassFisher
      My buddy Tony (@bassfshin24) and I hit the road after Christmas to go and chase some Walleyes on Mille Lacs Lake. We had plans to fish shallow structure during the low light hours and then head out to deeper structure during the day using an ATV. Day 1 the temps had warmed up some from the recent negative temps but we were surprised to find a very slow bite. The slow day was topped off by some ATV problems which left us scratching our heads on what to do for Day 2. As it turned out our options were minimal so we decided to pull out on the lake by hand to some shallow structure. It was -15 when we hit the lake but we were greeted by a bunch of hungry Walleye!

• Jory
      By Jory
      Not new to ice fishing but I can't seem to find the fish anymore around my neck of the woods in foley mn. so if anyone could give great insight of lakes times and maybe hints of baits and area of the lake would be awesome. 
    • monstermoose78
      By monstermoose78
      Went and checked the first ice lakes and found .5 inches to almost 2 inches. If you go out please bring a buddy and dry clothes.
    • Jason Aherns
      By Jason Aherns
      Me and my family never have caught a walleye where can we go 2- 3 hours from Chisago city Mn? And pretty much guarantee abunce in walleyes and maybe have a few for dinner?  I have tried and tried caught some real awesome fish so far but no walleyes please help thank you
    • Chevy Nation
      By Chevy Nation
      Hey guys and gals!
      I was wondering what kind of fish is this? I was thinking they were redhorse suckers or something but I am not 100% sure! I have been catching them out of the Mississippi and don't know if they are invasive or what the heck they are because they smell god awful!
      Thanks!

By 12345
      Im staying at Arrowwood July 2-5 and looking to catch some 'eyes for a fish fry or 2. Never been to the area before so I dont have much to go by other than my overall knowledge of Walleye fishing elsewhere. Ill probably be fishing early mornings and dusk for obvious reasons, but also because my boat will be used for the majority of the days for entertaining the girlfriends family. Im open to fishing not only Darling, but Carlos and Le Homme Dieu as well. 

From what ive read and can see on Google Earth, the lakes are pretty clear, and from experience, usually means tough walleye fishing for this time of year. -I grew up fishing Woman Lake in the Longville/Hackensack area and that lake is as clear as they come. The only way we can snag some 'eyes in the summer is to fish the deep weed lines. Is that the approach I should be taking on these lakes? Does dragging rapalas across mid-lake flats produce? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gavin.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• delcecchi
      Gotta be careful to keep the holier than thou attitude under control whatever you decide to do. After all not much difference between bass, northern (looking at you harpooners), walleye, even gills.
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I have eaten quite a few small mouth bass from Vermilion and a few large mouth bass from other lakes. The smaller small mouth are not bad table fare! The larger fish taste like mud to me! All large mouth taste like mud to me!!😛 If you were to suggest to these fishermen that eating the smaller fish will make a much tastier meal, not to mention a much safer meal because of the contaminant level in larger fish, that may make a difference in what they decide to keep.????  But as you said, they can legally keep them of all sizes. The DNR approach of a size limit would be best! Cliff  
    • Harry Goodliffe
      a sign that ASKS people to selective harvest, releasing the bigger fish to keep those better fish genes in the population if you keep fish eat smaller fish...the old bill dance quote "limit your kill not kill your limit.... catch what you can use and release the rest to fight another day"
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Nice walleye Reid! How big? Cliff
    • Wanderer
      I respect your conservation minded approach but trying to TELL people not to keep those fish will just get you more of the same response you already got.  I also agree <15 inch bass are better keepers.  I keep a few myself each year and rarely keep anything over 16, preferring 12’s for the table. I’ve been a bass tournament angler in the past and have also promoted staunch C&R, much like the modern muskie culture, but have grown wiser with age.  I still target bass quite a bit just because they’re fun! On a 300 acre lake I agree a small group of anglers can and will have an impact with constant return visits to harvest large fish but the only two things you can do about it is, 1) As mentioned, lobby the DNR for protected slots, and 2) When people are happy to show you their catch, congratulate them and mention you like bass too but find the smaller sized fish much better table fare.  And maybe that you also fell releasing the mature fish keeps reproduction up to sustain a quality fishery.  And be nice about it.  Once you turn people off they’ll stop hearing you. That’s about all I have for ya.  Good luck.
    • Reid Saarela
      Bite was OK for us this weekend. Marked tons of fish but they only seemed to bite in small feeding windows due to abundance of mayfly larva down there. When they decided bite, they were inhaling our leeches though.  Rocks next to mud was best for us. Highlight of the weekend was walleye pictured below. 
    • Mike89
      I like the idea!!!👍
    • reddogdth
      Just a heads up to all.  Someone has been cutting off the Catalytic convertors on vehicles at the landings on Island Lake Reservoir.  Trucks are targeted do to the clearance and ease to get under.  They hit several vehicles on Friday morning and were trying to sell the parts at a local scrap yard by 11:30am the same day.  It cost me over $500.00 to replace this weekend.  Police where notified.
    • rodbender27
      Thank you for your opinion. I respectfully disagree with just standing by, as multiple 3lbs+ bass were shown to me in a livewell this morning coming off of a 300acre lake. Again i completely realize this is a legal choice to make, and at times selective harvest is necessary for maintaining a healthy ecosystem. Where I live in Minnesota, bass are plentiful, but fish of that calliber and bigger are not growing on trees and it takes multiple years to get to maturity. As aforementioned, i am serious about the sport aspect of bass fishing and hate to think of the idea of 10+ yr old fish being taken from lakes of such small size especially. I have personally seen the possibilities catch and release offers as myself and a buddy have caught the same 4lb fish with distinct bird/pike bite marks on 3 separate occasions just this spring/summer alone.  Again i do not mean to shame these people for being proud of catching quality fish, just want to find the best way to try to shape their thinking to take a more conservationally responsible approach to fish harvest choices. I appreciate any help i can get
    • delcecchi
      They split FM and HSO.   Turned out to be a bad decision in my opinion.