• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

The rum is giving up somefish in town, but if you get away from easy spots you will catch more. 

Most area lakes are giving up bass and gills. 

Turkeys are looking like they had a great hatch. I have not seen pheasants for awhile or ant grouse.

• Replies 728
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monstermoose78

• gimruis

• Wanderer

• eyeguy 54

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took the owners of Baby Beaver Baits and my boss Brian out fishing in the wind and  caught a few fish. All gills over 9 went back and all crappies over 12 were released. Best bait was 3 mm jig with a

Went out to lake that I have not been on in many years and the nice gills wanted to play eat the pink impluse mayfly and I was all about that game. 8-11 feet of water away from the crowds on a nice in

Nice fish!  I was out near mille lacs area and the frog bite was killing it. Had a handful in the 17-20” range. 

Posted Images

gimruis

Moose, there was an article in the Star Tribune yesterday about the grouse population and how it has possible plummeted in Minnesota and Wisconsin due to WNV (West Nile Virus).  I wonder if this disease could affect pheasant, turkey, or even duck populations.

monstermoose78

I put money it can. 

Sculpin

I saw the article also, I think it is possible, but how the population went from up 58% last year to practically nothing is beyond me.  More "science" from our friends at the DNR. 

It is also becoming increasingly more evident that the expansion of the turkey range may be playing a role in the reduction of grouse numbers, both in terms of nesting success, and the survival of chicks.

I'm sure 20/25 years of study, analysis, speculation, comparative data, blue ribbon panels, neighbor states consultations, and hunter surveys will have it all sorted out.

I personally think turkeys can sweep thru the woods and eat everything in sight in short order. I'm a turkey hunter, but its reason for concern  

Bigfatbert
8 hours ago, gimruis said:

Moose, there was an article in the Star Tribune yesterday about the grouse population and how it has possible plummeted in Minnesota and Wisconsin due to WNV (West Nile Virus).  I wonder if this disease could affect pheasant, turkey, or even duck populations.

Our  DNR isn’t good whatsoever , mis-management , and a lot of BS .yes the West Nile is out of there control , but does anybody really believe a straightforward answer and/or possible response or plan to combat such  will be brought forward to us ? They will say there favorite line ‘’we will take things into consideration’’ .. our game/fish are in the in the hurt bag in this state . Kiss the good old days away for grouse , deer , waterfowl ,walleye in some lakes with slots , and other game fish . Now with that being said the state just wants money from license sales , imagine that , money , the root of all evil  , hmmmmmm where have we heard this before ?? Our state and our DNR are bogus when it comes to proper management , when oh when are we the sportsmen going to say enough is enough . Period ! Ok , know I now the cumbiya sayers will be defending our DNR here , but fellow people what are you all seeing with our game ? There we go now I think a few others besides me , and the Monstermoose will see what I’m getting at . Ive hunted and fished here in Mn my whole life , I’ve seen the good , and I sure do see the bad now in so many ways.  No none of this game is extinct , but it sure ain’t like it used to be . Probably a lot more hunters and fishermen today with much better technology , that all needs to be taken into consideration and managed accordingly in a biological sense , whatever that may be , not in the holy dollar sense .. By !!

• Thumbs Up 1
eyeguy 54

some of you guys need to go work at the DNR so its run perfect. LOL 

• Thumbs Up 3
Sculpin

If you want to see how the DNR "runs" volunteer, or perhaps you have in some capacity. I have, and what I saw, and learned was very frustrating, eye opening, and for me, almost total disbelief.

It's a world of volunteers, interns, low level functionaries, and a few people who are working their way up the bureaucratic ladder within the organization. For the most part a bunch of "scientists" career bureaucrats, but well meaning, and for the most part dedicated.

They are continually understaffed, underfunded, and their equipment for the most part is broken down. Its not their fault, they have their hands out continuously, and they never get the funding necessary to function at the level that Minnesota outdoors people have come to expect.

If the Sportsmen and Women of Minn. could ever come together and become the political and economic force that their numbers represent, then maybe real change would occur.

In the meantime, sadly, they muddle along with what they have, and it will never "run perfect" But that does not exempt them from constructive criticism.   

monstermoose78
12 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Tried but they told me I am over qualified @eyeguy 54 

• Yayyyy 2
Bigfatbert
9 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

Never could work for the state again ..  only did for about a total of 6 months back in the 1980s , and wow what I saw , wasted tax payer money  to the big nuts , hush hush type of doings ,  was even told once that what I saw shouldn’t be mentioned to nobody ..

i happen to know a world renowned , now retired wildlife biologist who reviewed our present DNR whitetail deer strategy just released by the DNR for the next year . His response was “wow what a mess” not liking it at all .. He even offered the DNR tips or thoughts ,just to hear we will take it into consideration .. 

eyeguy 54

you shoulda stayed, then all would be great. LOL 

Bigfatbert
2 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

you shoulda stayed, then all would be great. LOL 

It wasn’t anything to do with the DNR were i worked.

I never said that I had the answers . 

But neither does the DNR , and they are getting paid to get it great . LOL !! 

gimruis

I guess the problem I have with how the DNR is run is that their solution on budget shortfall is to simply raise license and fee prices.  Since so much of their budget is tied to those license sales, when not as many people buy them, their solution is to raise it and cover up the shortfall.  This cycle has gone on for years now and every few years they raise the cost of licenses because they can see what the trend has been and will likely continue to be.  Eventually what they'll end up doing is weeding out the casual hunter/angler because a deer and turkey license will cost 50 or 60 bucks each.  Its not going to stop me from going, but at some point Joe Casual is going to say "not this year."  The solution in my opinion is not to attach so much of their operating budget to license sales because its likely going to continue to go down year after year.  Everyone knows that the average age of the hunter/angler in this state is going up and we're not recruiting the younger generation to replace them.  Stop trying to beat a dead horse back to life with your special youth waterfowl day, deer hunting weekend, and season long turkey hunts.  When I went, it was on opener just like everyone else.

As for the grouse population issue, I am not a biologist nor do I spend a significant amount of time grouse hunting.  I can only read what is posted in articles about it in the star tribune or other public literature.  I have had fantastic pheasant hunting in central MN for several years now so the WNV (West Nile Virus) doesn't seem to be affecting their populations...yet.

I was hoping to fish the rum soon for smallmouth but heavy rains just keep delaying it.  High, murky water is about as poor conditions in a river for smallies as one could ask for so I will continue to wait it out.

Edited by gimruis
monstermoose78

Youth waterfowl day is great!! It’s so much fun to bring kids and I do most years. 

gimruis

They can go on opener like everyone else does instead of pre-emptively scaring the local ducks out of the area.

monstermoose78
12 hours ago, gimruis said:

They can go on opener like everyone else does instead of pre-emptively scaring the local ducks out of the area.

It’s the greatest experience to take a kid duck hunting on youth day. There is not enough kids out there to chase the ducks away. When I take kids o rarely see another person hunting. I wish they had youth day when I was a kid. Stop being selfish and give the kids a chance!

• Thumbs Up 1
gimruis

The smallies are going on the Rum.  I fished it for 4.5 hours today.  My Father and I caught 27 of them, all on topwaters.  I caught a new personal best river smallmouth, 20 1/4 inches.

7-18-18 toad.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
monstermoose78
1 hour ago, gimruis said:

The smallies are going on the Rum.  I fished it for 4.5 hours today.  My Father and I caught 27 of them, all on topwaters.  I caught a new personal best river smallmouth, 20 1/4 inches.

7-18-18 toad.jpg

Great fish!! The river looked good when went to Check my chuck trap.

• Thumbs Up 1
gimruis

It came down pretty quick the past couple days after they got like 8 inches of rain at the headwaters last week.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 2 weeks later...
monstermoose78

Well I am trying to get into some better shape. Finn and I are walking 1.25 miles a day to get ready for duck season. I hope to add another 1/4 a week. My goal is to get down a size 42 pants. My wife is walking with me and helping cut my portion size down as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1
Cret Jigs

Went out on Blue the other day ... trolling deep divers on deep weed-lines, was able to catch some Pike and one nice Bass.  All returned to live again.   talked to a few locals and they said it had quieted down a bit with pan fish.  (i did not try for Pan fish)

Cret

Edited by Cret Jigs
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • 4 weeks later...
monstermoose78

Well hunting season is taking over my thoughts. Been scouting for geese, doves, and crows. It looks promising for geese and doves. 

I have seen a decent amount of geese around the rum river recently.  Unfortunately, the areas I saw them are public spots (parks and golf courses) in town though so that doesn't help much.  The river came up a little with that rain on Friday but its still fishable.  I got 16 smallmouth and 1 pike there on Saturday morning.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Smallmouth are still biting in the river.  My Father and I caught 20 of them on Saturday in about 4 hours.  The water has come up some and started to cool off so topwaters were not as effective but a tube still worked.  I managed to land three 19 inchers in a span of 30 minutes.

9-1-18 toad c.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
monstermoose78

Youth waterfowl day is Saturday who is going out?

• 1 month later...
monstermoose78

It’s that time to start getting the ice gear ready!! Woohoo!! I will be working on my ice gear this week after work. The newest thing I need to get is a better ice rod for gills and after seeing @IceHawk s tripwire I think I will be getting one of those. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1
eyeguy 54

@monstermoose78   almost time to plan a get-together. :)

• I Like it 1
monstermoose78
1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

@monstermoose78   almost time to plan a get-together. :)

Will do sir

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Some good walleye fishing this week.  As many summer weeks, it was helpful to be versatile.  On the big lake, sometimes you have to play the wind, meaning, you have to be flexible where you fish.  
      The fish were there and some great catches this week.  Most fishing in 25-33 feet.  Some are still jigging.  Frozen shiners and leeches were both good this week.  With water temps in the mid to upper 60's, leeches and crawlers will heat up.  
      Spinners (otherwise called harnesses) with minnows, leeches or crawlers were all effective this week.  It is good to mix up colors and bait until you find the right mix.  Gold, glow, pink, orange, chartreuse or a combo of them are good colors in stained water. 
      More and more anglers trolling crankbaits with success.  Some have been trolling cranks since the opener but it seems most anglers wait till the water warms.  A great method to cover water and find cooperative fish.  
      On the Rainy River...   Some good summer fishing reports from the river.  Walleyes being caught jigging, pulling spinners and trolling crankbaits.  Current breaks and holes holding most fish.  
      Smallmouth bass in rocky areas, current breaks, bridge embankments and weed edges.  Lots of bass in the river.  Crankbaits, spinnerbaits and tube jigs are good lures to start with.  
      Pike are adjacent to weedlines, in slack water areas and in bays.  Working shorelines whether trolling or casting will normally produce nice fish.
      Sturgeon anglers, mark your calendars, sturgeon season opens again July 1st.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  Walleye fishing continues to be strong up at the Angle.  Fish coming from literally 5-33' of water.  Not every walleye is keying on the same food sources.  With structure, rocks, and mud, lots of variety at the Angle.  Jigging, spinners and cranks all producing. 
      Muskie season opens Saturday, June 19th.  Lots of nice fish already caught unintentionally as these predators like to eat.  Muskie anglers were forced to fish MN waters last year with the border closure were happily surprised with the size and quantity of fish on the MN side.  This year should be good.
      Pike hanging out in weedy bays.  Smallmouth relating to rocky points and reefs.
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• Jaroberts28
      By Jaroberts28
      Hey guys, going up to nine mile lake camping and noticed that Echo lake next door has Atlantic Salmon. Any tips on catching one? Is it even possible this time of year? Any help would make me and the little one super happy. 
      Thanks,
      Andy
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      Just got back from our annual Grand Marais trip! I don’t know, maybe I’m just getting old and cranky, but over the last several times I’ve been up there, I’ve been liking the town less and less. Getting too artsy, hippy, liberal for me 🤷🏻‍♂️ Also sad to see the northshore getting absolutely “loved to death”! Has totally lost it’s up north feel.

Anyway, enough ranting. Fishing was terrible! Numbers and quality were way down. Aside from 2 smallies that barely scratched 17 inches (both were skinny), not even any medium bass were caught. Only caught a few small pike, and 1 walleye. As always, kids had fun catching sunnies from the dock at hungry jack lodge. By the way, we ate at their restaurant for the first time…AMAZING! Also fell in love with castle danger cream ale. Had fun on greenwood lake watching bass jump out of the water and catching dragonflies. There must have been a hatch going on, because they were everywhere! And every bass had fat little belly’s. The rainbow trout on kimball lake has fat belly’s too. They were gorging on mosquito larvae. Casting from shore on superior was actually productive…on the way up I caught a long nose sucker on a daredevil spoon. In front of our motel, I finally caught my first lake trout from superior! Anyway, overall it was still a fun trip. Did some hiking, mini golf, alpine slide. Didn’t see any moose, but we did see a bear and a wolf. 

As always, the people at Hungry Jack Lodge were great! I think we’re going to start staying there from now on.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Walleyes were active this week.  Some warm weather hit the north country and the fish responded nicely.  Jigging with a live fathead minnow or frozen shiner vertically jigged or drifting spinners with a minnow or crawler in 15-29 feet of water has been the ticket for most walleye anglers.  
      Snelled spinners or harnesses work well all summer into the fall and also is a really good way to cover water.  They are also versatile as they can be fished shallow to deep.  1.0 - 1.25 mph is a good speed, as long as the spinner is spinning.
      Colors to start out with... hammered gold by itself or with another color, pink, glow red, orange and chartreuse.  All good colors in the stained waters.
      Trolling crankbaits is gaining steam with very good results.  A great way to cover water.  Get the lure where walleyes are living and hang on!
      On the Rainy River...   Some good walleye fishing on the river.  Most anglers fishing the river are locals or folks with smaller boats or on windy days.  Although many walleyes head back to the lake after the spawn, not all do!   There is 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth at Wheeler's Point to Birchdale which is 26 miles east of Baudette.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow with spinners and crankbaits starting to perform well.  
      Multispecies in the river.  Smallmouth bass in rocky or slack water areas.  Pike in bays.  Sturgeon season opens again July 1st.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing continues around the Angle.  Fish coming from 14-25 feet of water.  A lot of fish being caught in the mud, but plenty around structure as well.
      Jigging with a minnow and drifting with spinners the go to methods.  Not as many anglers pulling crankbaits but they are working.  Much like the south end, Gold or gold mixed with another color has been effective this week.
      With the Canada border still closed, there are many ways to get up to the Angle.  
      1.  The LOW Passenger Service, charter boat shuttle service from the south end, is open and running.  2.  If you have the right boat and expertise, boating across is an option.  3.  And finally, Lake Country Air flying service, a float plane service out of Baudette and other locations.  

• Mastercaster
      By Mastercaster
      Anyone been out to Elephant lake lately? Water level up/down? Having any luck?
      The East Coast Boys will be heading up this Friday and on the Lake by Saturday (27th year), don't worry Russ & BR we will save a few for you (kinda like the backrow boys)................

• Dash 1
      By Dash 1
      Finally got out Thursday morning to wet a line. Pretty slow. Got 1 bass, 1 northern and a big catfish.  First time getting a cat there. Pulled like crazy and for some reason my dragged decided not to work properly. Luckily I didn’t break the line.  Lots of weeds floating at access. Had to do a lot of cleaning when I loaded up. Big thank you to the young lady checking for AIS. She helped get the weeds off, then I power washed it at home.  Good luck everyone.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Some excellent walleye fishing this week.  Guides did a nice job of being versatile a couple of days when the wind really blew.  Jigging with a live fathead minnow or frozen shiner vertically jigged in 14-29 feet of water has been the ticket for most walleye anglers.  
      Never discount trolling.  Some good reports of trolling crankbaits with very good results.  A great way to cover water where walleyes are living.  Mix up cranks with different shapes, sizes, wobbles and colors until you get dialed in.  Good to have everyone in the boat with a different lure to start out.
      Some popular crankbait colors to start out with...  pink UV Firetiger, Firetiger, chrome / blue, gold / orange.
      More big pike surprised unsuspecting walleye anglers this week.  When you get hooked up, hang on!
      On the Rainy River...   Some nice walleyes are being caught up and down the river in 8-15 feet of water.  A nice alternative to the lake for smaller boats and big blow days.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow.  Spinners with crawlers and crankbaits are also a good option to cover water.  The river offers many species of fish in a setting second to none. 
      Sturgeon season opens again July 1st.  Summer sturgeon fishing doesn't get attention due to walleyes but it is productive and fun.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing continues around the Angle.  Fish coming from 13-20 feet of water.  Anchored around neck down areas with a bit of current, points and around shoreline structure producing nice fish.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow.  Gold / chartreuse is a good color this week.  Gold, glow colors and brighter colors in the stained waters are a solid choice.
      A complete list of lodging and fishing packages available in Baudette, on the Rainy River, south shore of Lake of the Woods and up at the NW Angle at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging

• JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      I only had a very short amount of time to fish this morning, so I went to the Apple River. Even though it’s pretty close, I never go here for the simple fact, the fishing is no good! I’m just amazed at the lack of fish holding structure this particular stretch has (Star Prairie). There’s no riffles, pools, boulders, undercut banks, nothing! It’s just fast water! I did catch 1 little rainbow, and lost 2 others. So it was nice to see at least a little sign of life in Apple.

• Djsnej123456
      By Djsnej123456
      Looking to head out kayak bass fishing with the gal here in the next couple weeks on lake independence. I have never been on the lake and would love some help to get her a few fish. Bass only. Thanks
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  A great week of walleye fishing.  Jigging with a frozen shiner vertically jigged in 14-25 feet of water has been the ticket for most walleye anglers.  
      Some anglers locating fish shallow, especially in current areas or on a wind blown shoreline.  There are also good numbers of fish being caught anchored up in deeper water.  Different schools of walleyes are often tuned in to different bait, hence, not all walleyes are doing the same thing.  It is good to trust your electronics, try an area and if no luck, move on.  
      Jig colors, gold, orange, glow, pink, chartreuse or a mix of these colors on the same jig.
      Some good reports of trolling crankbaits where walleyes are roaming.  Crankbaits allow you to cover water and put your lure in front of a lot of walleyes.  Trolling shorelines, even if nobody else is, can produce good results.
      As is the case in a strong pike fishery, some big pike being caught but unsuspecting walleye anglers.  Many pike over 40 inches boated this week.
      On the Rainy River...   There is always a resident population of walleyes that live in the river even after the annual spawning run is over.  Some nice walleyes are being caught up and down the river.  
      Most are still jigging with a minnow.  Try current breaks or holes in the stretch of river you are fishing.  There are 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale 30 miles east of Baudette.  The river offers many species of fish in a setting second to none. 
      Up at the NW Angle...  Great walleye fishing this past week around the Angle.  Fish coming from 5 - 25 feet of water.  A big variance but fish the goto spots.  Neck down areas with a bit of current, points and deep edges of bays producing nice fish.
      Most anglers jigging with a minnow.  Gold and brighter colors in the stained waters have worked well.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Troy Smutka
      6/2/21     Catching lots of walleyes and bonus smallies on Mille Lacs. On shallow to mid-depth rocks the first few weeks, now deep gravel or mud when it is calm/clear and mid-depth rocks when it is windy and cloudy. Caught several of the elusive slot fish during the open period, kept and ate a few. Catch and release now and remember closed walleye fishing and no live bait July 1-15. Good luck, and I will see you out there somewhere.
    • Troy Smutka
      6/16/21     Catching bass, pike, sunfish, and crappies on west Metro area lakes. Starting to see a few muskies as well. Water temps in the low to upper 70s depending on the lake. Still catching fish in shallow to mid-depth depending on the lake. Good luck and I will see you out there somewhere.
    • ozzie
      Congrats!  Bummer that the dead fish was the difference especially if it was healthy and swimming when you entered the bay!  What weight did you have pre deductions and what was your fish/weight breakdown?  Curious what people were catching... Did you fish the same spots on tourney day as you did in prefishing? and if you don't mind sharing did you fish crosslake or make it out to whitefish?  Sorry for the questions but I always am interested on the where, how, and how many in this tourney but never stick around for the long drawn out awards handout...  
    • Rivergroup
      Got back yesterday.  Found some really nice bass and a lot of them, both large and small mouth in the 15"-17" range.  Found a couple of walleye, 14" and 15".  Had a great time as usual and the weather was calm for much of the time we were there.  Had most success with slip bobber and leeches/crawlers.  
    • BigVTim
      Headed up this afternoon for a solo weekend. Throwing for Musky but might pull some cranks or spinners and see what happens.
    • CigarGuy
      I have them on the cabin. Last night out fishing in Wakemup saw lots of clouds on the graph. Marking some fish, but no takers. Saw a guy catch a couple walleye's out there.
    • james_walleye
      That's a cool catch! I caught an old ugly stick last year by trout portage. I found an old boat with side scan by comet as well. 
    • schmitty3
      Anyone having any luck?  From almost all reports i've read it's been pretty SLOW all year.  Headed up with a group tomorrow for a week, and will be sure to report back what we find. 
    • Jaroberts28
      So no bites so far. Did see a bank fisherman catch a rainbow so I asked what he was using. Same thing as me... hopefully today is better!
    • SkunkedAgain
      Any mayfly reports?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.