• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

Caught 20-23 gills and 6 crappies. Fun day on the 10 inches of ice. The whole lake was close to the same where I cut all the holes out and around

3AEE2B92-AFAC-430C-B55C-36E8F3AD2E5F.jpeg

22EC612B-CC71-44E7-8F6A-576781739311.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monstermoose78

• gimruis

• Wanderer

• eyeguy 54

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took the owners of Baby Beaver Baits and my boss Brian out fishing in the wind and  caught a few fish. All gills over 9 went back and all crappies over 12 were released. Best bait was 3 mm jig with a

Went out to lake that I have not been on in many years and the nice gills wanted to play eat the pink impluse mayfly and I was all about that game. 8-11 feet of water away from the crowds on a nice in

Nice fish!  I was out near mille lacs area and the frog bite was killing it. Had a handful in the 17-20” range. 

Posted Images

crappie king 42

Went out locally here thanksgiving mornin on three inches of solid ice hot into the eyes really well. A week later whole place was open water again so we went out in the kayaks got 14 eyes than went out again now that ice is back went to same lake and had a rough weekend we only managed to get three all weekend. Went out on all local lakes they are all sketchy at best. Few more days to solidify that bad ice and should be good to go. Went to shakopee in onamia and there was a solid 10 inches out there. 

crappie king 42

8Went out locally here thanksgiving mornin on three inches of solid ice hot into the eyes really well. A week later whole place was open water again so we went out in the kayaks got 14 eyes than went out again now that ice is back went to same lake and had a rough weekend we only managed to get three all weekend. Went out on all local lakes they are all sketchy at best. Few more days to solidify that bad ice and should be good to go. Went to shakopee in onamia and there was a solid 10 inches out there. 

Snapchat-1114129132.jpg

Screenshot_2017-12-01-19-16-35.png

crappie king 42

No this is not red lake. This was a local spot in the cambridge princeton milaca area. 

Nice solid 14-17 inch walleyes nice and healthy and they tasted delicious 

• Thumbs Up 1
crappie king 42

Just goes to show that if you put the time in to eplore new places just to see if there is anything in said body of water..... it can have very good payouts. The body of water that we got the eyes out of i have never fished before. Grew up next to it basically its only 10 min from the house. When they started hitting all fish were caught one after another i have never had walleyes through the ice bite like they did. A new experiance and i was able to share it with friends. Hope everyone is being safe out there. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Still pheasant hunting and still seeing lots of birds!  Went out an afternoon this past week and saw about 75 in 2.5 hours.  Went home with my 3 roosters.  Everything is froze good now so its easy walking and there's fresh snow.

HoleHoppingGills

Looking for some folks in the area. Have you guys ever fished Borden lake near Garrison? I fished Maple lake last week with a lot of small crappie caught.  I let them all go, biggest was 9". Fished few lakes in that area with no luck. Even went to my little honey home with little succes Looking take the GF out tomorrow morning.  Any ideas? Seen someone posted about crappie in Pearl. 

Edited by HoleHoppingGills
monstermoose78

Yeah Borden Can be good.

monstermoose78

This cold snap should make fishing around here much safer! I can’t wait

monstermoose78

-7 woohoo making ice

Merry Christmas!!!

HoleHoppingGills

Merry Xmas everyone.  Has anyone been out last few day for Gills or Crappie? Might go brave the cold tomorrow in the house on Dog Lake West of the Metro. Never been there but love trying different lakes.  I'll post the outcome if I go!

• Thumbs Up 1
monstermoose78

I have to work otherwise I would be in bed

E63D41FA-4CBB-4BE1-91D4-CE712BD7BCCA.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I have been out the last two days on area lakes and have nothing to show for it. No keepers and nothing close to keeping. The cold snap has kept fish from biting. I have marked them but nothing will bite and same story on reports from other fisherman on the lakes. 

Pressure was sky high.  I think that really turns them negative.   What kind of ice thicknesses were you seeing?

Edited by Red Miller
monstermoose78

Well this weekend will

have the moose sitting in the house. The following one I will be out fishing like a mad moose.

I hear ya Moose...I am not a gluten for punishment either.  Next weekend is looking way better.  I have a feeling there will be a lot of vehicle traffic on the ice by then.  Not sure if that's wise but it is really getting close for that.

• Thumbs Up 1
monstermoose78

I figure next weekend there will some trucks taking a dive

I just checked the weather and no sigh of  warm up until next Saturday.  I am hoping 18" on most lakes by then. 

Wanderer

30.9 Hg for pressure this morning.  The -24 has slowed my enthusiasm but that pressure really makes me wonder if it’s worth going out.

Got a newbie that wants to go and doesn’t get much time to, so I might be taking one for the team today.

• Thumbs Up 1
eyeguy 54

lots warmer here ar -23.  no way am I going out. maybe if i had a permanent but not the porty. :)  good luck if ya get out

The wheel house is loaded and ready. A few more cold days and the lakes in the area should be more than ready for them. Some already are, Buzzie's got an ice road out of Flickabirds on East Rush so I may run over there later for a look-see. I'll swing around the lake to Peterson's resort on the other side and see what they have going. Getting excited.......

monstermoose78

I am hearing 10-14 inches on most lakes here is the thing there is thin spots. Please use caution when starting to drive out.

also what is the craziness with rearing ponds? I have never seen so many people fishing different ones. 

Hearing of a solid crappie bite on green lake in 10-15 feet of water. I look forward to getting out around here soon.

Tom Sawyer
2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Got a newbie that wants to go and doesn’t get much time to, so I might be taking one for the team today.

Mille lacs! 

I measured 10” clear solid ice last night where I was, lake off highway 22. I did see two half tons on the lake and a couple smaller cars but they weren’t more than 1000’ off shore. 

I checked out Little and Big Horseshoe, Rabour and the west access on Rush. A couple of wheel houses (small ones) on Rabour, portables and home made ones on the Horseshoe lakes and about 6 - 7 larger wheel houses south of Cigar Island on West Rush. There were about 3 - 4 half tons on West Rush as well as several cars.

Wanderer

Just posting here cuz I commented earlier.  Pine River hardly falls into the Cambridge are but that’s where we wound up.  A little north of town.

10-15 inches of ice in the holes I drilled.  Started with 12 at the access and stayed at 13 in the next two holes so I rolled the truck out there.  Crept along and made some noise but we ran into fish pretty quick.  Set up the house and went to work.

The first drops in any hole produced a crappie right away but they were tight lipped after that.  I walked and drilled for another 100 yards and found the pile of fish further out but on the other side of the 10 inch ice.  They weren’t cooperating real well anyway so I opted to not reset the house and work what we had.

There was a good dusk bite and I was surprised with a few nice gills in the mix.  Overall a tough bite but glad we went.  My fingertips are tender now though from crazy cold hands.

• Thumbs Up 1
monstermoose78

So much variance with the ice around this winter. I know you all want to rush out with trucks and wheel houses but please check before you go out. Check often every couple feet at least. I know this takes time away from fishing but is your life worth it. Seeing the national wild turkey federation state meeting is in Alex next Saturday I will not be fishing that day.

bites i am hearing of are some fish being caught on long lake of highway 47. Green has been giving up crappies and some eyes on the deepest weed lines. Little elk has been giving up crappies and gills. Blue has crappies coming from over 20 feet of water. Back waters of the rum are giving up walleyes and pike. The rearing pond walleye bite is going strong. Here is one of the ponds it’s east of 169 on county road 9 about 3-4 miles it’s on the south side of county road 9 you can’t miss the trucks parked on the road. Have a blast catching walleyes!

Tom Sawyer
4 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

So much variance with the ice around this winter.  Check often every couple feet at least. 

Good idea....:crazy:

Wanderer

I agree it’s too risky to not check frequently.

That ice I drove on yesterday was about what I expected to find.  I used a small pay access and talked to the owner about the ice before going out.  Even knowing the lake froze evenly this year I was checking every 20-30 yards realistically before moving the truck forward. 

It’s the least amount of ice I’ve driven on in years but I wouldn’t have done it had I not done the pre-checks I did.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Rick changed the title to Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Went out to check some ice on one of my lakes that seems to freeze over before most. 2-3". Still early but maybe another week and ice fishing has begun for me. We'll see. Anyone else getting excited. Now only if cold weather would hurry up and come!

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  As we roll into mid November, thin ice conditions on back bays as well as the Rainy River have put an end to the open water fishing season.  Big Traverse Bay is still open water.  The hope each year is to have cold nights combined with low wind and no snow early in the season to create a good early sheet of ice.  Every year is different based on Mother Nature of course, but normally resorts will be able to get their smaller fish houses, called day houses, out around December 10th.  A couple of resorts who provide spearing for pike in back bays of course earlier.  Again, this is just an average.  This year could be earlier or later, time will tell, but everyone is watching.
      On the Rainy River...   The river is covered in most places with a layer of thin ice.  The fall season ended up with a good number of shiners in the river from the fall run.  The few anglers who fished this past week had some good reports.  We believe there are a good number of walleyes in the river despite mixed fishing reports this fall.  Some anglers believe the sheer numbers of shiners in the river made the bite more difficult.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  The Angle has a mix of iced over areas and open water.  That is quite typical this time of year.  The ice is forming nicely and the hopes are for colder weather to keep things moving along positively.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Unseasonably warm weather the first week of November saw a fair number of anglers on the water.  Once the lake cleaned up a bit as the waters were dirtied up from a big blow, good walleye reports started coming in from various areas.  Anchored up and jigging with a minnow in anywhere from 7 - 26' of water has been the goto.  Walleyes are setting up in early ice locations nicely.  Some big fall pike being caught by walleye anglers jigging.  Jumbo perch in the mix with walleyes.  
      On the Rainy River...   Some very good reports on the river as of recent.  Four Mile Bay, Wheeler's Point and up river to Vidas putting out some good walleyes.  Most are jigging with an emerald shiner.  Gold, glow and pink have been strong color combos this year.  Anglers still fishing sturgeon catching some nice fish this week as well.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Many anglers have put away the open water gear but for those who are out, the walleyes are there.  With deer hunting started, most are in the woods.  For those still fishing, a jig and a minnow on points and areas with current in 13'-26' has been good.  Gold, pink, and glow colors great choices.  Pike and muskies are active.  A complete list of lodging and ice fishing packages available at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging

• Phisher0420
      By Phisher0420
      Had anyone tried and had luck finding worms in late fall. For some reason we have a worm shortage, not I've place in town has had then for weeks
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Dress warm and catch walleyes!  Some even bring their Mr. Heater in the boat.  High temps this week in the low 40's.  The water temps are in the 30's and the walleyes are staged in many early ice areas.  Good reports on the lake with a mix of small fish, eaters and some big fish.  Consider areas on the lake such as the Lighthouse Gap, Morris Point Gap, Zippel Bay and Long Point.  Good reports in all of those areas.  Walleyes in 7 - 26' of water.  Most anglers anchored up and jigging with an emerald shiner.  Pink, gold, glow and green jigs working well.  Pike are active in bays and along shorelines.  Trolling crankbaits for some anglers is still effective, but jigging by far the chosen technique this time of year.
      On the Rainy River...   Anglers seeing good numbers of walleyes on electronics as well as a lot of bait.  With so many shiners in the river, catching walleyes has been tougher than normal.  The river is still low, current slow.  Best depths anywhere from 7-24'.  Most anglers are jigging with live or frozen shiners.  Pink, glow and gold combo effective.  Trolling crankbaits over flats where fish are spread still pulling some fish.  Walleyes in Four Mile Bay 10-15'.  Sturgeon anglers focusing on deeper holes with current.  A sturgeon rig with crawlers and shiners.
      Up at the NW Angle...  
      Nice walleyes being caught up at the Angle for anglers braving some colder than normal temps.  Jig and a minnow on points and areas with current all good places to start in 13'-26'.  Gold, pink, and glow colors great choices.  Some big pike being caught by walleye anglers as well as those trolling shorelines.  Pike and muskies in bays and off of rock points.  

• JerkinLips
      By JerkinLips
      Anxious for ice fishing to start once I am done deer hunting.  Couldn't find any records of when Lake Vermilion ices-over (Big Bay freezes completely).  I am predicting ice-over the morning of November 14th.  Any other predictions?
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      What’s the status of small lakes in the arrowhead? I’m going to Grand Marais this weekend, and the forecast looks pretty miserable 😩 I have a feeling I’m going to be busting through ice to launch my boat. But is it at all possible that some of these little designated trout lakes could be locked up completely? 
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      DNR has a proposal to remove the dam on the Grindstone River, in Hinckley. The reservoir, which serves absolutely no purpose, is about 27 acres, and is nothing but mud and silt. I’m in favor of any and all dam removals! They’re taking comments via e-mail until November 12. If you want to write the DNR, subject e-mail “Grindstone EIS” to [email protected]
    • Hawkem9
      By Hawkem9
      Hey guys, 

Looking for some opinions from those of you who fish the lake consistently.  We take a fall trip every year and have been on the cass chain the last 5 years.  Planning on heading to Vermillion this year.  We have two dates in mind being either the 18-25 of Sept or the 9-16th of October.  Love to be somewhere in the middle but it wont work this year.  We will fish Smallies/wallys the majority of the time and planning to stay on the east side.  Would any of you suggest one of those times over the other?  I am seeing the current weather up that way and its making me a bit nervous about the later dates, but if the fishing is better by mid october will certainly risk some colder weather.  Thanks for any input!
    • evinrudespeed
      By evinrudespeed
      So the weather really tanked!! I was hoping to fish until November before winterizing the boat.

Anyone been out...either reservoirs or up Hwy 53? Any idea of when landings start pulling docks...probably on DNR site huh?
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Coleman
      Just as a note, I got on the chain Saturday around noon.  Main lakes had a skim of ice, 1/2", shallow bodies(East lake) look like the ice was actually walkable, please don't take my word for that though.     Anyways, water temps were 34*.  I didn't fish much at all, just broke up enough ice to get some new data for mapping.  I did mark quiet a few fish, which is a plus.     On another note, has anyone else noticed the large group(15-20) of beds on Horseshoe just north of the meth hole, about 8-9FOW?  I noticed these this spring, and they're still there.  Thought it was kind of interesting they'd still be there even after all the boat traffic this year.  
    • Wanderer
      Sounds like a fantastic fall!!
    • gimruis
      Smith Farms Labradors?  My 8 year old British yellow lab is from that breeder in Grove City.
    • h8go4s
      In New Mexico? Not much. In Minnesota? A little more. Wheel boat, I assume for a 50 HP on a 15' boat. Bench seats? Does the outboard run? What's wrong with the lower unit? Does the steering work? Does the throttle work? Is there a trailer?
    • Bryan P
      Went out to check some ice on one of my lakes that seems to freeze over before most. 2-3". Still early but maybe another week and ice fishing has begun for me. We'll see. Anyone else getting excited. Now only if cold weather would hurry up and come!    
    • Old Boat
      It's got a 50hp Merc that's got the lower took apart. Covered bow, tapered STEARN. Thick aircraft grade aluminum.
    • smurfy
      Thanks I know fishing, graduated with my brother, I graduated with his sister Patty. I miss chasing roosters.
    • IceHawk
      My older yellow Zoe came out of Pete Fischers Rex former owner of Fischer Kennels now with Dogtra and my newest black one Otter is from Mike Feldhege of Richmond AKA (Fishing) his male Drake and a cousins female Avery from a Grove city kennel. Both excellent dogs! both were fairly reasonable I train all my dogs myself done a few already takes a ton of time and paitence  but the rewards are worth it! My dogs are in the house with me and spend time with me in the boat and pretty much are with me all the time they are my second kids 😀  I feel this connection is what truely makes a good dog.  
    • smurfy
      Been good so far 👍 I will take you up on your offer some time.   Where did you get your young lab?? I may be in the market for one this spring as long as I don't need to take a second mortgage on the house.🥴
    • IceHawk
      Thanks Glen been busy fishing and hunting been a banner year for me in the outdoors for sure !!!  Had a phenomenal summer, fall walleye fishing, got a Buck and Doe gun season now my focus is chasing roosters as much as possible until good ice! Might be my last year in the field for my old lab as she is 13 still hunting hard but the joints arthritis are catching up to her. Plus side is my new pup 1 1/2 is really coming along great she's going to b a good one! Your more than welcome to follow me but I will warn you first you have to figure out what I'm driving. Bought a new 2020 pickup this spring with a off road  package now  you have to figure out the color and brand 😀🤣 Seriously anytime your more than welcome to join me just holler Hope retirement is treating you right. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.