• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

This is when canoes and kayaks shine.  Maybe can get away with a small boat too.

I fish it with a shallow drafting aluminum jon boat and just float with the current from point A to point B.  When its low, even that is a struggle though.  Bumping rocks and scraping gravel is a no go for me when that starts occurring.  I can probably float through 2 inches of water but it may already be too low for that.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, gimruis said:

I fish it with a shallow drafting aluminum jon boat and just float with the current from point A to point B.  When its low, even that is a struggle though.  Bumping rocks and scraping gravel is a no go for me when that starts occurring.  I can probably float through 2 inches of water but it may already be too low for that.

That method in low water has cost a couple broken rods on that river when the boat ran out of draft very suddenly and all contents of the boat, including fishermen, were suddenly misplaced form the seats to floor!  

Memorable to this day every time I’m drafting shallow!

• Wow, ❤ 1

Looking at the drought monitor, its easy to see why rivers in that region would be low.  Its literally the driest portion of the state right now.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Look at the size difference between the fawns!

image638265083467332900.png

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, monstermoose78 said:

Look at the size difference between the fawns!

image638265083467332900.png

Some ones not sharing!! :unsure:

• Yayyyy 1

• 4 weeks later...

Went back to a local small lake on Saturday with a couple friends and did very well under pretty ideal conditions.  Cool, overcast, and windy created an aggressive bite.  Even piled into a few decent sized pike on accident too.  Water temp is still quite warm though, 74 degrees.  Will probably go up too before it goes back down given how hot it looks this weekend.

8-26-23 bass1.jpg

8-26-23 bass2.jpg

8-26-23 bass3.jpg

8-26-23 bass4.jpg

8-26-23 pike1.jpg

8-26-23 pike2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Holy moly were there a pile of people on lake onamia today. I hope they got some teal.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck archery 🏹 hunters and small game hunters tomorrow!!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

haven't been out yet.........looks like the population is pretty good........where your hunting anyway.  brother is headed up on 10-5.......i'll be up sometime the following week. just maybe afew grouse will run into a few BB's of mine then!!!!!!🤣

Edited by smurfy

6 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

How goes hunting season so far for everyone? The grouse season has been good for me so far. I sure like to eat them. First day I had grouse strips with highbush cranberry dipping sauce for lunch then bacon wrapped grouse dinner. Then Sunday I had a grouse strip sandwich with blackberry jalapeño jam and brought the same sandwich up for my uncle. Brought 5 home yesterday to make a wild rice grouse hot-dish.

IMG_2657.jpeg

IMG_2659.jpeg

IMG_2638.jpeg

Dang, how far north are you? Leaves have hardly started dropping yet!  😮

2 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

I was up in Ely.

Did you have your pup with?  👍

Grouse are tough to consistently put in the bag.  Much, much tougher than roosters.

I see that its supposed to be very warm for the first half of October, like 80+ degrees.  I will not be hunting in that heat.

18 minutes ago, gimruis said:

Grouse are tough to consistently put in the bag.  Much, much tougher than roosters.

I see that its supposed to be very warm for the first half of October, like 80+ degrees.  I will not be hunting in that heat.

where are you seeing that Gim???? through about the first 10 days of oct......the first of oct has a high of 70 after that not getting there, especially in the northern part of the state?????? thats according to the weather channel!!!!

Edited by smurfy
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2023 at 7:23 PM, leech~~ said:

Did you have your pup with?  👍

Yep but I did not get any photos of Hazel retrieving 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

Yep but I did not get any photos of Hazel retrieving 

Well, if she brought back all those birds you post she did great!  That's why I asked if you had a dog with yeah!  👍

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/26/2023 at 7:57 AM, monstermoose78 said:

How goes hunting season so far for everyone? The grouse season has been good for me so far. I sure like to eat them. First day I had grouse strips with highbush cranberry dipping sauce for lunch then bacon wrapped grouse dinner. Then Sunday I had a grouse strip sandwich with blackberry jalapeño jam and brought the same sandwich up for my uncle. Brought 5 home yesterday to make a wild rice grouse hot-dish.

IMG_2657.jpeg

IMG_2659.jpeg

IMG_2638.jpeg

Nice haul for the Ely area.  I haven’t seen numbers like that for years - but then again, I need to be there more often to see any!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Yayyyy 1

45 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Nice haul for the Ely area.  I haven’t seen numbers like that for years - but then again, I need to be there more often to see any!

quit hanging out at a certain public access by Remer!!!!!!!🤗🤣

i'll be headed up in about 12 days!!!!!!!!

Edited by smurfy
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/28/2023 at 8:27 AM, smurfy said:

quit hanging out at a certain public access by Remer!!!!!!!🤗🤣

i'll be headed up in about 12 days!!!!!!!!

IKR!

I’m hopefully gonna be in Ely in a couple weeks but I’ll be chasing ducks more than grouse.  Not the best place to go for ducks but I love it up there in October.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, Wanderer said:

IKR!

I’m hopefully gonna be in Ely in a couple weeks but I’ll be chasing ducks more than grouse.  Not the best place to go for ducks but I love it up there in October.

Lots of ducks up there just have to find rice

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Lots of ducks up there just have to find rice

That’s good to hear.  We’ve accumulated a few good spots over the years but sometimes they’re still not around..

6 hours ago, Wanderer said:

That’s good to hear.  We’ve accumulated a few good spots over the years but sometimes they’re still not around..

Yeah I did good on divers ip there but the longtails that stop in on Shag always were my goal 

• Thumbs Up 1

Took Finn over to my dad’s pond and there was one beautiful drake wood-duck on the far end of the pond. It flew off but we waited to see if any came back Saturday night. 

IMG_6200.jpeg

IMG_6202.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Yeah I did good on divers ip there but the longtails that stop in on Shag always were my goal 

Long tails on Shags?  That’s interesting.  I’ve never heard that was a thing.  Are they calendar birds?

They are still on my list.