• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

On 1/8/2022 at 8:38 PM, monstermoose78 said:

Well here are the photos of the access and signs.

Interesting.  The ones on the right in the photo have always been there because of needed room to turn around and back up a boat to the access.

The No Parking further to the left is something new.  There are about 5 or 6 vehicle/trailer designated spots there.  I wonder if this is going to be a permanent all-year restriction or just a winter thing.  Guess we'll find out come spring...

Edited by gimruis

I suggest everyone call Spencer Brook Township Supervisor Lyle Peterson 612-812-8882 and express your concerns about the no parking.

Be nice and share you disappoint in there decision to not allow parking.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
3 hours ago, tview said:

How much Ice you find on Blue Moose?

10-11 inches 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, tview said:

I suggest everyone call Spencer Brook Township Supervisor Lyle Peterson 612-812-8882 and express your concerns about the no parking.

Did you call him?  I'd like to know WHY there is a no parking restriction and if its going to be an all season thing or just a winter thing.

He said to many complaints from from the homes in the area.  Litter and home owners not being able to access their driveways. Sounds like in might be enforced all season. That Why I suggest everyone call and express your concerns. Sound like the only access will be the one on the east side to use. I expressed there should be a least the spots there to be able to be used year around..

• Thumbs Up 2

@monstermoose78 a couple of your pics make it look like you’re fishing in the parking area. 😄

It’s interesting how they label it as a State access but the private property boundaries meet at the access.  
4AE375B7-372D-4DB1-9D55-B1813DB5EF4E.thumb.png.4a085ac1ebdde4a6a5a0e50e7f7c49e3.png

Then one has to wonder about the ability to park on the shoulder in the ROW of the public road.

A41E878D-4047-4426-923D-043B1B36E6D0.thumb.png.aeb104e18a317a8d7c91d994f7d710a1.png

I was figuring it would have to be a township or county owned access for the township to make the decision and have the Sheriff enforce it.

I can understand how the decision came about but otherwise it’s pretty interesting what’s going on.

But then the East access is also “State” but on township land. 🧐

382D317B-282B-4F21-823D-A90EA9B8ED3E.thumb.png.67ae15a8c89005b4f3e9cedd2ae3beba.png

Maybe it’s just referring to it as access to state waters?

Edited by Wanderer
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, tview said:

He said to many complaints from from the homes in the area.  Litter and home owners not being able to access their driveways. Sounds like in might be enforced all season. That Why I suggest everyone call and express your concerns. Sound like the only access will be the one on the east side to use. I expressed there should be a least the spots there to be able to be used year around..

Thanks for the information.  I can see why they might do that if there are complaints about vehicles and trash.  The trash part should not surprise anyone when it comes to the ice fishing realm.  If this ruins the access entirely for the whole year, that would be very unfortunate.

I agree that the designated parking spots should be able to used.  If they're full, tough.  This isn't anything new.  Half the lakes I fish have a limited number of parking spots and when its full, you can't park anywhere on the property or adjacent road.  If the parking spots can't be seen in the winter because there's snow covering it, that could be an issue too.

Edited by gimruis

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

@monstermoose78 a couple of your pics make it look like you’re fishing in the parking area. 😄

It’s interesting how they label it as a State access but the private property boundaries meet at the access.  
4AE375B7-372D-4DB1-9D55-B1813DB5EF4E.thumb.png.4a085ac1ebdde4a6a5a0e50e7f7c49e3.png

Then one has to wonder about the ability to park on the shoulder in the ROW of the public road.

I was figuring it would have to be a township or county owned access for the township to make the decision and have the Sheriff enforce it.

I can understand how the decision came about but otherwise it’s pretty interesting what’s going on.

But then the East access is also “State” but on township land. 🧐

Maybe it’s just referring to it as access to state waters?

You may find more info on why this really happened in the Lake Association meeting notes for the last few years.  It wouldn't be the first lake that tried to reduce or shut down fishing pressure on "their" lake by limiting access.  😉

Here's a little from their Facebook page.

Welcome to the Blue Lake Association of property owners page. This page is dedicated to connect all property owners and visitors to the beautiful lake that we value and enjoy.

On our page you will find the BLA's meeting logs, updates on the recent break-ins around Big and Little Blue, boat launch info and parking rules as well as how the property owners strive to keep our lake clean and healthy for future generations.

Keep watching as our page develops. And tell everyone we're up and running! We'll see you all on the lake!

Edited by leech~~
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

We'll see you all on the lake!

Well, maybe not ALL of you. 😉

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Yayyyy 3

6 hours ago, gimruis said:

Thanks for the information.  I can see why they might do that if there are complaints about vehicles and trash.  The trash part should not surprise anyone when it comes to the ice fishing realm.  If this ruins the access entirely for the whole year, that would be very unfortunate.

I agree that the designated parking spots should be able to used.  If they're full, tough.  This isn't anything new.  Half the lakes I fish have a limited number of parking spots and when its full, you can't park anywhere on the property or adjacent road.  If the parking spots can't be seen in the winter because there's snow covering it, that could be an issue too.

give him a call and express your opinion!!!!!!!!!👍 if it truly is a PUBLIC access i dont see how they can ticket someone. now iffin your parked in someone's drive............

13 hours ago, smurfy said:

give him a call and express your opinion

Generally, when a public access is restricted, there is a reason behind it.  I can see why a homeowner in the area would be upset if people were parking in front of their driveway or people were leaving trash behind.  If these are indeed the reasons why, the parking restriction may be justified, at least in the winter.

What peevs me is that a certain group of anglers ruins it for the rest of us.  I don't ice fish out there.  I only fish out there during the open water season for crappies and bass.  I have always parked in a designated spot and I never leave any trash behind.  If the parking restriction applies all year round, my frustration is not going to be towards the sheriff, homeowners, or lake association; its going to be towards ice anglers.

31 minutes ago, gimruis said:

Generally, when a public access is restricted, there is a reason behind it.  I can see why a homeowner in the area would be upset if people were parking in front of their driveway or people were leaving trash behind.  If these are indeed the reasons why, the parking restriction may be justified, at least in the winter.

What peevs me is that a certain group of anglers ruins it for the rest of us.  I don't ice fish out there.  I only fish out there during the open water season for crappies and bass.  I have always parked in a designated spot and I never leave any trash behind.  If the parking restriction applies all year round, my frustration is not going to be towards the sheriff, homeowners, or lake association; its going to be towards ice anglers.

AGAIN, you stated it is a public access......key word here is public.......it should legally be able to be used by the PUBLIC!!!!!!!

as leech mentioned, i smell lake association trying to make it a public lake. and when some fisherperson parks in front of a residence driveway, he!! yea give them a ticket.

and ice fishermen arent the only ones that leave garbage.........i've been to plenty of accesses open water where they think its there garbage pickup spot.

mayhaps instead of whing about it they should adopt a public access, much like adopt a highway............... 

17 minutes ago, smurfy said:

and ice fishermen arent the only ones that leave garbage.........i've been to plenty of accesses open water where they think its there garbage pickup spot.

I agree.  But in this specific case, a parking restriction certainly would have been implemented before this if the problem existed at this access on Blue Lake.  It was not.  Therefore, one can assume it was not a problem until recently because of illegal parking and trash...generated by ice anglers.  In the summer, there is a trash dumpster and a porta poddy at the access there.  In the winter I would imagine there isn't.

I will relay back on what kind of answer I get from the sheriff.  I also noted that the Blue Lake Improvement District has a zoom meeting on January 25 @ 7pm in case anyone is interested in participating.

Edited by gimruis

1 hour ago, gimruis said:

I will relay back on what kind of answer I get from the sheriff.  I also noted that the Blue Lake Improvement District has a zoom meeting on January 25 @ 7pm in case anyone is interested in participating.

It would be wise for concerned anglers to join the meeting.  BUT ask open ended questions about what they’d like to see change to lift the restrictions instead of just airing your grievances.  Listen to them and let them talk themselves into a solution.  It might take more than one meeting to accomplish it too.

• Thumbs Up 2

i need clarification...are we talking about the public access on the east side with the hill or the north access that is flat?  The east side access has 3-4 parking spots for trailer rigs (Wanderers picture) and no parking has always been posted around that area.  The north flat access is where i thought this discussion was referencing.  If it is the north flat access this would be a shame.  As for the east hill access, there has always been limited parking and restrictions from parking on the roads that are around the access.

20 minutes ago, ozzie said:

i need clarification...are we talking about the public access on the east side with the hill or the north access that is flat?  The east side access has 3-4 parking spots for trailer rigs (Wanderers picture) and no parking has always been posted around that area.  The north flat access is where i thought this discussion was referencing.  If it is the north flat access this would be a shame.  As for the east hill access, there has always been limited parking and restrictions from parking on the roads that are around the access.

Its the north access that is flat.  The one that never has a dock.  There has always been a couple of no parking signs right near the access point with 4 or 5 designated parking spots, but apparently no parking signs have been added all the way back to the north where some new residential homes have been built so you can't park anywhere in there now.  As for whether it is just a seasonal thing during the winter or an all-year round thing, I am still trying to confirm that.

Edited by gimruis
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, gimruis said:

new residential homes have been built so you can't park anywhere in there now.  

Could be a big part of the reason right there…

Of course there’s no excuse for litter and blocking driveways.

• Thumbs Up 2

Could be a big part of the reason right there…

Of course there’s no excuse for litter and blocking driveways.

yet these new home owners come in looong after that access was there and now are trying to dictate the rules...i call BS!!!!!!!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Last year the new home on east side of the road had his driveway blocked I saw it when I left the lake. He was upset but this the same guy who came down to talk smack to the anglers who got tickets. 

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

Hey moose, how big is that brown puppy of yours getting?? Been a while.🤔

Well she is close to 50 pounds would be my guess. She goes in to get spay next month. Hazel is my wife’s dog as she plays fetch with her the most.  She is going to be a better hunter than Finn. 

999C92AE-66EC-4C99-9CCC-79E688FCB9CB.jpeg

A716DB60-70D0-447A-867B-7EC4FF38A9DA.jpeg

Edited by monstermoose78
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 1

On 1/10/2022 at 3:20 PM, tview said:

Alright I was able to talk to Lyle about this on the phone.  He was honest and forthcoming, and I believe him.

He said that closing the access area to parking has not been because of one isolated incident.  Its been for a number of reasons over the course of several years.

The most recent issue is people parking on the road leading to the access, in front of homeowners driveways/on their property, and leaving trash behind.  However, he also said that in the open water season when people park their trucks and boat trailers along the road, sometimes they park on both sides.  The road is narrow to begin with and when people do this, its a safety issue according to the fire department.  An emergency vehicle would not be able to get through.  Apparently at night in the past, there has been issues too with cars going down there and doing things they aren't supposed as well.  Last summer someone tossed the porta poddy into the lake and he had to go pull it out.  When they had a trash bin down there, people would tip it over and the trash would create a mess.

So the problem is not one-fold here - its multiple reasons over time.  He also stated that the county really does not have the time or manpower to constantly monitor the access area for illegal parking either or to enforce it, so the most ideal solution was to simply ban all parking.  As for whether it will be a year-round policy, he said that is likely but not set in stone yet.  They may allow limited parking in designated spots and/or handicapped parking come spring.

You can still use the access as a drop-point at this time.  You just can't park there.  At least there is another access point to the lake on the east side.  Apparently there is adequate parking there and overflow parking allowed on one side of the road so that will have to do.  Its unfortunate that this has to happen but I can see now why this would be implemented based on the problems he informed me of.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, gimruis said:

He also stated that the county really does not have the time or manpower to constantly monitor the access area for illegal parking either or to enforce it,

Well, apparently they do now!!

Why not put up No Parking signs on the road if that's where the issues are.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Hookmaster said:

Why not put up No Parking signs on the road if that's where the issues are.

He did say that they are considering allowing people to park in the designated spots plus a handicapped zone come spring and then posting signs everywhere else.  So basically, when those spots are full, they're full.  People can't see the lines or specific spots in the winter so they just park wherever.

I think I'll use the one on the east side of the lake from now on.  There's more parking and there's actually a dock at that one.

There are signs up and down the road on both sides. 

Why there is a NO PARKING ordinance at the North Access to Blue Lake?

·       The North Access to Blue lake is not an official public access.  It has never been a public access.   The MN DNR does not own the property, nor does it have rights to use.   Property is private. 

·       A historical easement allows for access for moving winter fish houses on and off the lake.   There is no mention nor provision for parking within the easement.   The easement is held with Spencer Brook Township for the original property owners.  

·       Problems with users of this winter access have increased to include:

• Excessive trash and garbage
  • Illegal parking
  • Drinking
  • Loitering
  • Trespassing
  • Picnicking and camping

·       Recent issues include speeding, drug transfers and even harassment of residents in this area

·       Fire and emergency response professionals require access by large safety and emergency response equipment

·       Spencer Brook Township voted unanimously in August 2021 to end parking in this area.  This is year-round.  This was after many years of complaints, a study of the situation and a legal review.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the post @Mr Golfwrench

X2 that's pretty much what Lyle told me too.  Compounding problems of many kinds over a period of time, most recently with parking and trash.