• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Connect, BE BRAVE - We Share Fishing Reports & Outdoor Information Here

Fishing Report Clubs - Make Your Own "Post Your Thoughts" - Leave YOUR mark, make each place you visit "a little better"!

Join the Minnesota Fishing Report Club, where only club members see detailed info that is shared. CLICK HERE to join.

Have Fun!!!

monstermoose78

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

monstermoose78

Depends how much fishing you do. I would say 5 to 6 hours

monstermoose78

There is some great walleye holes as well

monstermoose78

Stopped in the park for few casts and got 3 smallies and a walleye all about 14 inches

monstermoose78

Look for the holes in the rum river they are holding fish. A friend of mine caught a musky, 12 northerns, 17 walleyes, 31 smallmouth, 2 large mouth, 3 crappies. He was using white twister tails on a orange jig head. This guy knows the river but he also if you see a creek coming in you better fish it.

He fished most of the morning

Juan Grande

Moose, maybe I should pay your buddy take me out.  We went out Saturday morning on the Rum in kayaks and didn't have any luck.  The water was muddy, presumably from the storm that went through Milaca the night before.  We started with finesse stuff like senkos and jigs and fished the back eddies, current breaks, etc. and got nothing. Switched to brighter, more aggressive baits like spinner baits, squarebills, chatterbaits and topwaters and still nothing. Had a couple followers and lost a couple at the boat, but they were small.

Went out with the intention of floating from Princeton to CR 7, but that would have taken way too long.  I think 3 1/2 to 4 hours in we were a quarter of the way there and that was with limited fishing.  Ended up turning around a paddling upstream back to Princeton, which sucked, but it would have taken us until dinner time to get to the CR 7 launch.    

I don't have fish finders on the kayaks and the water was murky enough that you couldn't tell if it was 3' or 12' feet in the middle of the channel. There is a TON of wood in the water, so much that it's hard to what's the best stuff to fish.  There was 2-3 spots you couldn't get through with a boat.  Downed trees completely blocked the river except for a small spot to squeak through with a kayak or canoe.  

Definitely a learning experience for us both.  If we ever go out again we will plan to fish a much smaller portion of the river and check water clarity before we launch.  It's a gorgeous stretch of river to fish or just to kayak.    

monstermoose78

I just called him he was fishing some oxbow lakes that we know about.

monstermoose78

This rain is keeping the rum muddy.

monstermoose78

Well I am seeing tons of young turkeys. Looks like the geese had a heck of hatch as well. There are ducks around. Seen a few pheasants. There is a stud of a buck on county road 16 in the refuge. I am going to hunt for him. Seen a good number of bears as well. I have not been out fishing as my wife has a heck of list I have been working on.

Juan Grande

Went out to Elk Lake in Zimmerman on Saturday.  I'd never fished the lake before and didn't have a ton of time so we just flipped docks the whole morning. Probably caught 20 bass or so and got bit off twice by pike.  Most of the fish were on the smaller side with maybe a third of them over 15 inches.  Got one nice 20 1/2 that only hit 4-5 on the scale.  Caught fish on wacky rigged senkos, swim jigs and t-rigged plastics.  

• Thumbs Up 2

monstermoose78

That is not to bad Juan. It might have not the best day for fishing

Juan Grande

Yeah, we were happy with it.  Some docks had 3-4 fish on them and others had none. Once you drill down which docks are good you can save a lot of time. Lots of docks on that lake. 

monstermoose78
6 hours ago, Juan Grande said:

Yeah, we were happy with it.  Some docks had 3-4 fish on them and others had none. Once you drill down which docks are good you can save a lot of time. Lots of docks on that lake. 

Yes there is. 

monstermoose78

Heads up people here in Princeton we got over 2.5 inches of rain in my rain gauge so far and north of here got the same or slightly more.

monstermoose78

Seeing I got laid off I am going fishing. My wife says go but Finn is not happy about this.

ZachD
On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:26 PM, monstermoose78 said:

Seeing I got laid off I am going fishing. My wife says go but Finn is not happy about this.

That sucks moose what were you doing at that job?

monstermoose78
4 hours ago, ZachD said:

That sucks moose what were you doing at that job?

I was helping other find jobs. I will find i job soon. I have been applying like crazy and I have been getting a lot of great leads from colleagues. 

monstermoose78

Crappies are biting on Lori Lake on the east side look for them surfacing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rick

I love chasing crappies this time of year ... :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78

Strong crappie bite continues on Lori lake! Hearing of some walleyes on green being caught on the north west corner in 23-24 feet. Pike are crushing top water, spoons, and Minnow baits on most lakes. Remember to follow the rules for pike because pike over 30 inches help the health of the lake. 

• Thumbs Up 1

gimruis

I'm new here.  I've been fishing the Rum a few times this summer and the smallmouth fishing has been fantastic.

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78
4 hours ago, gimruis said:

I'm new here.  I've been fishing the Rum a few times this summer and the smallmouth fishing has been fantastic.

Welcome to the site gimruis!! The rum is a great fishiery ! The top water bite is on and soon the frog bite will take off.

monstermoose78

The flocks of geese are now flying over my house in the morning and evening, but when this happens Finn gets all jacked up. Like right now he is nudging me and running pawing at the window. A few minutes earlier when the first gaggle few over I was going to change the laundry and Finn raced down and sat by gun safe  whining. 

Fishing reports have been great for crappies on the area lakes. Walleyes are not biting as well in lakes but when the rum is clearer that is the place to be.

Bears any no quota hunters this might be your year to get a bear around here. 

Deer seem to every where drive carefull. 

Seeing some ducks flying around. 

I have seen a few grouse and pheasants.

monstermoose78

Off to wet a line !!

monstermoose78

Caught some gills this was the first one 

IMG_0058.JPG

eyeguy 54

its not camera shy :):)

monstermoose78

My thumb was covered in slime and I could not get the phone to turn on most of the time

gimruis

Here are some of the toads we have been catching on the Rum River this summer.  The biggest has been 19 1/4 inches.

IMG_1083.JPG

IMG_1093.JPG

7-14-17 B.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78

geese are around in good numbers.

deer seem to be every where so drive safe. 

Turkeys well they had a heck of a hatch.

pheasants are doing ok seeing a few. 

Fishing has been hit or miss every where. 

gimruis

I went back to the Rum on Sunday afternoon and floated it for about 4 hours.  My Father and I landed 23 smallmouth and 2 pike.  I caught two 18.5 inchers and a 19 1/4 inch smallmouth.  Here's one of them.

sept 3 smallie 3.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

monstermoose78

That's awesome way to go

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• eyeguy 54
      By eyeguy 54
      Had a fun time camping at Bowstring and fishing monday to wednesday. 95 % I would say were using jig and minnow.  We fished crawlers cuz it's what we do... lol Brought 100 up there from the back yard. Didn't bring any home.  Caught 32 altogether. Had a nice meal monday p.m. and brought a few home, the rest stayed there. We brought 16 nice perch back home also. Water was about 54 in the morning and would get up to 60 or so. Fish were deeper than we have fished in the past. 14 to 20 was a good area. Hope to get back up there the end of June for a couple days and then in September. Brother in law had a couple nice 19's and I had a nice 20 for our biggest. Weather was about as nice as it can possibly get which aint the best for eyes but tons better than the freeze to death that we had a year earlier !

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      When was the last time you heard anyone rant and rave about Eurasian Water Milfoil? Introduced to MN in 1987 and through the 90’s, we complained, complained, blamed the DNR, cried that this invasive weed was going to kill off many fish because the invasive plant overtook native vegetation. DNR, lake associations and others monitored lake assesses for years to prevent transfer to no avail. Were creatures of habit and don’t like change. And NO Eurasians Water Milfoil did not kill off all the fish, as lots of fish still are caught along the much easier defined weed lines. Of the 388 DNR reported infested lakes only 20 new lakes were added in the last year and ½ and no longer seen to be an issue.
      Now we have a Zebra Mussel invasion, introduced to MN in 1995 with the same, rant & rave as was with the EW Milfoil, fostered by the DNR and news media with all the negative effects. They will eat all the Zooplankton fish food, large attachments to solid objects, sharp shells on bottom cutting swimmers feet etc. What we hear little about Zebras each adult filters 1 quart of water daily eating algae, a single cell plant Phytoplankton, including the toxic Blue-Green algae which for years been known to kill fish, dogs and humans. A female can produce a million eggs annually so the spread in infested lakes is rapid. Within a couple years the green, brown lakes are clear promoting vegetation growth to deeper water providing more cover for smaller fish. It ticks us fishing people off because our fishing techniques used for the last 50 years no longer work as fish feeding habits change. For us avid fishing people we will learn the new fish feeding habits on infested lakes rather quickly while occasional fishers may never learn new techniques which will increase fish population. While Zebras filter vast amount of algae they secrete a highly nutrient feces on the lake bottom providing a smorgasbord for bottom feeders including many of the minnows and other bait we use. After 4 to 5 years a large number of zebra die as their algae food supply is depleted.
      Hang in there, 465 bodies of MN waters already infected with Zebras with70 in 2019/2020. Infestation will continue as most boat access will not be monitored and the vast majority of boaters could care less about prevention. Another infestation will most likely happen and we will no longer focus on Zebras. Just a thought.
      The first excel file is the DNR link to all infestations. Second file Eurasian milfoil and Zebra lakes

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/eco/invasives/infested-waters.xlsx

Zebra-Eurasion infested.xlsx

• SoldierGirl
      By SoldierGirl
      So after returning to Minnesota after living pretty much everywhere else, I have finally returned to fishing.  Didn't realize how much I missed it until I started again.  I'm tired of fishing the river under the bridge like a troll so I'm looking for some good spots to shore fish around Ottertail.  My regular spot is too warm now and the fish have moved on.    I'm one of the odd balls who's not into muskies or walleyes.  Really prefer bluegill and bass.  I'm a bobber, nightcrawler and beer kinda girl.  Any advice on where to go?  How are the lakes in Maplewood State Park.
    • SoldierGirl
      By SoldierGirl
      So after returning to Minnesota after living pretty much everywhere else, I have finally returned to fishing.  Didn't realize how much I missed it until I started again.  I'm tired of fishing the river under the bridge like a troll so I'm looking for some good spots to shore fish around Ottertail.  My regular spot is too warm now and the fish have moved on.    I'm one of the odd balls who's not into muskies or walleyes.  Really prefer bluegill and bass.  I'm a bobber, nightcrawler and beer kinda girl.  Any advice on where to go?  How are the lakes in Maplewood State Park.
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  The deep summer "Dog Days" patterns for walleyes are in full swing producing excellent fishing.  As a rule, the big walleyes are hanging out on the deep mud in 30 - 34' of water.  Two main techniques, drifting or trolling spinners with crawlers or leeches at about 1.0 - 1.25 MPH.  Hammered gold, hammered silver and glow white are good starting colors.  The second technique is trolling crankbaits through various schools of walleyes over the deep mud.  Switch colors often but some starters, pink uv firetiger, chrome / blue, firetiger, and gold.  Some walleyes are still being caught shallow based on forage opportunities.  Different schools taking advantage of current conditions in different areas.  Watch electronics and go fishing!
      On the Rainy River...   Walleyes scattered on flats and in deeper holes.  Trolling crankbaits and covering water effective.  Sturgeon living in deep holes throughout river.  Smallmouth bass and pike active around current breaks, rocky areas and weed edges. 
      Up at the NW Angle...  Until the US / Canada border opens, guests can travel across the lake staying and fishing in MN waters.  There are shuttle services available and fishing for multi species has been excellent.  Check with your favorite NW Angle resort for options.  
      Good walleye fishing continues north of Garden Island, around Little Oak Island and areas north and east of Little Oak with deeper mud.  Spinners with a crawler or trolling crankbaits both producing good numbers of walleyes.  Pike and muskies in deep bays and rocky points.  Smallmouth bass in 4 - 14' in rocky areas reacting well to crankbaits.  

• AlexKempston
      By AlexKempston
      Has anyone caught any muskie/musky on any of the Horseshoe/Sauk River Chain of Lakes this year? 
    • Jacksonlong32
      By Jacksonlong32
      Me and my buddy are here in emily MN for the next couple days, we both love fishing and wanted to take a shot in the dark at finding someone that could get us out on the water fishing. We would pay you and pay for gas.
    • Yancimator
      By Yancimator
      After fishing every handful in years in Minnesota for 40 years, I'm FINALLY going to bring my wife up to Vermillion and see it for the first time.   I'm chasing smallmouth and pike only (well, I'll gladly wrestle with a fooled Musky but not fishing for them).   If the largemouth fishing is better than the smallmouths, we'd probably chase some of them too.    Staying at Ludlows on the island.   Boy I'd love ANY help with where to start my searching for the smallies and pike and what to key in on that time of year.   I'll have basically two days to fish and will have my own bass boat.   I am an artificial bait only guy and catch and release.   Just looking for a bunch of tugs on the line and hopefully put my wife on some action.  Any guidance or direction??   

How deep are the smallies and what do they relate to that time of year?   Are the pike around visible weeds or submerged cabbage or something?   I'm coming in clueless.   Sure appreciate ANY help anyone's willing to provide.   Thanks!!!   Yancey from St. Louis, MO
    • LUCIFER
      By LUCIFER
      How do the blueberries look this years?

Thanks in advance.
    • jodog
      By jodog
      We usually go to Canada but obviously we can't this year. Booked a resort on Vermillion mid Aug. Never fished it, this will probably be the only time. Any advice on where to start? We fish walleye, northern, and smallies. Obviously not looking for exact spots but just general info. If you can help me out with a spot or two and can email me even better and much appreciated. We only harvest to eat for the days we are having a fish fry during our stay.

Thanks!
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Wanderer
      That’s the access I normally use too and yes, it’s a bad set up.  I don’t recall the inspectors car parked in the no parking spot but it’s a sure thing there isn’t much room to turn the rig around!   I can do it with the fishing boat OK but the pontoon requires me to back into the parking area rather than pull in to launch, unless there are zero rigs there already.   The inspector themselves?  Meh, I don’t get too worked up over whatever they say.  Some follow their training to a T and some don’t.  I’m used to dealing with scripted situations though and know they can’t cite me.  I just smile and nod.  I would for sure say something if their car was taking up valuable asphalt there though!!!
    • TenthousandLakes
      Nice fish!  I was out near mille lacs area and the frog bite was killing it. Had a handful in the 17-20” range. 
    • Muskies
      It’s been a good summer so far. Of course, fishing always good but the boat traffic is down 75-80%. Drive out, pick a reef and start jigging!. Hopefully everyone can enjoy all parts of rainy next summer. Picture is from my wife and I Monday afternoon (August 3).Caught a total of 20 walleyes, 10 perch. We kept 6 slot fish for supper.
    • cgreene
      Great catch! I love fishing while raining. The just enjoy spending time in a lake with cool weather.
    • Mtnman
      Thanks for the update Muskies. Making preparations to head north in 3 weeks. We are so looking forward to cooler weather and the song of the loon. Love those pictures, keep them coming. Cheers and good fishing !! 
    • rayguy
      Was up this past week and fishing was really slow.  Trolled deep from Big Island to Foleys and back with one Northern the results.  Really was not a whole lot suspended in the 50+ water. There is no way to fish middle Whitefish on the weekend.  Every pontoon in the world now ties up around the sand dune island and the boat traffic is unreal.  Looks like Minnatonka ,  not a good thing. Did get a few small walleyes on leeches early morning , nothing to brag about.  Keep a eye out ,   lots of crazies out there.  Think the Sheriff needs to hit the lake for a few days to settle the Windsor crowd down a little.  
    • ozzie
      Anyone use the access at Trout Lake on the Whitefish Chain?  If so have you had issues with turning around in the parking lot due to the inspector parking in the no parking zone that is marked off with yellow lines?  I get into arguments every time I am at that access because the inspector feels they have the right to park in an area that is not to be parked in.  It is becoming annoyingly fun for me to get on them and educate them on where to not park!  This has to be one of the worst accesses in the state when it comes to traffic, space, and inspectors.  Many times they have an inspector there that will give you a 15 minute lecture on invasives even though you have heard his speech before!!!  Power trip and then some!!!!  I respect most inspectors I come into contact with, but WOW are some just go a little overboard on their inspection.  I have to laugh my ass off when the inspector runs us over about water in our livewell (talking about drops of water around the drain ring) saying we could get fined $800 if we leave the access like that, yet what do the inspectors say to the wake boat that pumped in 1000 gallons of water into it and most certainly cannot dispel all the water and an inspector cannot see!!  Not sure what it is about this particular access but I have had the worst experiences there and do not have similar experiences elsewhere, so I just had to ask if other see this too.
    • delcecchi
      How does the old song go.... I got those BWCA Blues They got us fishing from Canoes  And all the good spots are upwind.... yodelaye hooo  
    • h8go4s
      This map shows fishing piers in Otter Tail County: https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/water_access/counties/ottertail.pdf
    • PRO-V
      How about the Eagles club. Pickled Loon got slapped twice for Covid violations and a relative working there caught it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.