• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

I should put the waders on and go hit the rum river. Anyone been out fishing?

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monstermoose78

• gimruis

• Wanderer

• eyeguy 54

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took the owners of Baby Beaver Baits and my boss Brian out fishing in the wind and  caught a few fish. All gills over 9 went back and all crappies over 12 were released. Best bait was 3 mm jig with a

Went out to lake that I have not been on in many years and the nice gills wanted to play eat the pink impluse mayfly and I was all about that game. 8-11 feet of water away from the crowds on a nice in

Nice fish!  I was out near mille lacs area and the frog bite was killing it. Had a handful in the 17-20” range. 

Posted Images

gimruis
21 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

I should put the waders on and go hit the rum river. Anyone been out fishing?

I intend to start floating the Rum in the next month here.  I generally do the best on smallmouth in July/August when the water is at its warmest.  Basically when lake fishing starts to slow down, the river heats up.  I don't know how high the river is but some parts of MN are in a slight/moderate drought so I have a feeling its lower than normal.  I fished the river further north near Mille Lacs on Friday and found a school of big skinny unhealthy walleyes stacked in a deep hole.  All four of them were 25-27 inches and very skinny.

Jason walleye 6-12-20.jpg

walleye 6-12-20.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • l Love It 2
monstermoose78

Them are skinny eyes

gimruis
11 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Them are skinny eyes

They had to come out of Mille Lacs and then settle up at least temporarily in this deeper hole.  And since Mille Lacs walleyes are already skinny to begin with, well, you can see the starvation occurring exponentially.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Wow, ❤ 1
  • 2 weeks later...
monstermoose78

The details

32-33 feet of water on the bottom edge of the flats. Slip bobber fishing with the bait from 1-1.5 feet off the bottom. 1/16 oz jig  white yes only white we tried many other colors with a medium leech. We cut lots of jigs off to try to save the fish. 

• Thumbs Up 1
gimruis
On 6/28/2020 at 7:25 AM, monstermoose78 said:

The details

32-33 feet of water on the bottom edge of the flats. Slip bobber fishing with the bait from 1-1.5 feet off the bottom. 1/16 oz jig  white yes only white we tried many other colors with a medium leech. We cut lots of jigs off to try to save the fish. 

Looks like you got into some skinny fish like everyone else did Moose.  Those things are starving out there

monstermoose78
12 hours ago, gimruis said:

Looks like you got into some skinny fish like everyone else did Moose.  Those things are starving out there

Yep they are skinny fish 

• Thumbs Up 1
monstermoose78
On 6/28/2020 at 6:47 PM, TenthousandLakes said:

Was out on the Rum today, it was a hot morning and slowed down during the afternoon. All on the frog! Had a good mix of largemouth/smallmouth and pike.

105490395_311314796562966_3432887190878663578_n.jpg

105671236_322814615786517_1137338625185734786_n.jpg

105769045_822024038204832_777655429418157355_n.jpg

Come fall walleyes go nuts on frogs in the rum.

TenthousandLakes
6 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Come fall walleyes go nuts on frogs in the rum.

That’s nuts! I’ve only started working the river a few times this summer. Got onto one small eye. Mid-day seems pretty rough, or I just need to try changing up my tactics. Water seems pretty low as well, not sure if that’s a pro or con.

I love getting on the smallies. So far from what I’ve seen they’re either toads or dinks, no in between. Can’t wait for some fall action! 

• Thumbs Up 1
monstermoose78
5 minutes ago, TenthousandLakes said:

That’s nuts! I’ve only started working the river a few times this summer. Got onto one small eye. Mid-day seems pretty rough, or I just need to try changing up my tactics. Water seems pretty low as well, not sure if that’s a pro or con.

I love getting on the smallies. So far from what I’ve seen they’re either toads or dinks, no in between. Can’t wait for some fall action! 

Low water pushes the fish into deeper holes and makes finding them easier. When you see the frogs jumping on the roads come fall it’s crazy times on the rum!

• Thumbs Up 2
gimruis
49 minutes ago, TenthousandLakes said:

Water seems pretty low as well, not sure if that’s a pro or con.

I love getting on the smallies. So far from what I’ve seen they’re either toads or dinks, no in between.

I assumed the water was lower than it normally should be, although we've received some rain the last couple days so maybe its up now (or coming up?).  I float the Rum in a jon boat every summer about 4-5 times and its easily one of the most overlooked smallmouth fisheries in this entire state.  Rarely do I see others out there other than occasional kayak or group of tubers.  I am fully convinced that the only lures the bass see out there are the ones I throw at them.  I catch a fair number of dinks out there in the 10-14 inch range but just about every trip I also tie into at least a couple fish that are 17+ inches.  I don't catch a lot of walleyes but I usually catch more of them near deeper holes or when the water is higher.  I do catch a fair number of pike and the biggest I've caught is 38 inches.  The toad below is 20 inches and weighed over 5 pounds.

I intend to start going after the 4th of July.  Once the fishing in lakes starts to get poor (which will be soon), the river heats up.

8-2-19 a.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
monstermoose78

I have seen a few big muskies around Princeton in the rum.

gimruis
3 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

I have seen a few big muskies around Princeton in the rum.

Are you kidding me?  Not impossible considering it comes out of Mille Lacs I guess...

I know that someone caught a 54 incher out of there near the park in Milaca about 7 years ago but it was super skinny and obviously couldn't find enough food.  There's a picture of it at Prince Bait & Marine near the live bait.

monstermoose78
38 minutes ago, gimruis said:

Are you kidding me?  Not impossible considering it comes out of Mille Lacs I guess...

I know that someone caught a 54 incher out of there near the park in Milaca about 7 years ago but it was super skinny and obviously couldn't find enough food.  There's a picture of it at Prince Bait & Marine near the live bait.

Lots of suckers to eat in the rum for big fish. I have seen a few big ones over the years. I am not saying you would catch many but they are in there. 

• 3 weeks later...
monstermoose78

Anyone know mushrooms? I am pretty sure this a chicken of the woods.

8A193A32-1CE1-424A-9EFC-CC61653DFADB.jpeg

• I Like it 1
PeachyHans

@monstermoose78 chicken of the woods is most easily differentiated from it's poisonous look-alikes by checking the underside. CoTW has pores instead of gills.

• Thanks 1
monstermoose78
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PeachyHans said:

@monstermoose78 chicken of the woods is most easily differentiated from it's poisonous look-alikes by checking the underside. CoTW has pores instead of gills.

Thanks I will take a photo of the underside

Edited by monstermoose78
  • 2 weeks later...
gimruis

Best day of the season for this guy yesterday.  Absolutely hammered the bass with a friend on a small lake near Zimmerman.  29 bass in about 4.5 hours including 3 big ones.

7-31-20 abel bass.jpg

7-31-20 bass a.jpg

7-31-20 bass a2.jpg

7-31-20 bass b.jpg

7-31-20 bass c.jpg

7-31-20 blue bass.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 2
monstermoose78

Great fish guys

gimruis

Went dock skipping again yesterday with a friend near Zimmerman and it was still effective.  Chartreuse with black flake has been the go-to color in that murky water.

8-6-20 bass.jpg

8-6-20 jason bass.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • l Love It 2
  • 2 weeks later...
monstermoose78

Hey what’s going on people?

the deer have been out like crazy. The geese are flying around and it looks like a good number of them. I have not seen much for ducks so far. I have truck hunting and wow have they gone up. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • I Like it 1
Wanderer

Truck prices are ridiculous like new boat prices.  I figure duck sightings have been down due to the molt but I’ve seen teal cruising almost daily.  Geese just in the typical family groups.  Deer are starting to get hit by cars around my place.  All the yearlings filling in the new territory that gets shot out every year.

It’s interesting how you see nature repeat itself when you actually live in it.

• Thumbs Up 2
Mike89

2nd the truck prices!!!!  the deer are moving here too, almost got one with Harley last week..  with in 25 feet of it.....  

Edited by Mike89
  • Thumbs Up 3
Wanderer

Yah, I complain about the deer getting hit.  Why aren’t people paying more attention, right?  Then last week cruising down my driveway at about 10mph with the sun in my eyes I had to spike the breaks when a doe bolted in front of my truck within feet.  

Glad you didn’t make contact with your bike!!

Edited by Wanderer
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
gimruis

I fished the Rum River near Princeton yesterday with my Father and we caught 26 smallmouth bass in about 4.5 hours.  Biggest one I caught was 17 inches.  I had a much bigger one on until it jumped and spit the hooks.  Lots of 12-15 inch dinks.  Those river bass sure do put up a good fight.  You'd swear a 12 incher was 18 inches until you saw it.  Caught most of them on a bass pro xps shallow crank in hot craw pattern.

• Thumbs Up 2
monstermoose78

Wow the geese have been shot at yet are coming into town after dark and leaving before shooting hours. Smart birds ! Looks like a fair number of ducks around that I am seeing. Deer numbers around here are crazy 😜 

• Thumbs Up 3