• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

Wahoo most of the small lakes have locked up!! This snow did not help but it should blow off if we get a breeze! Fingers crossed!!

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monstermoose78

• gimruis

• Wanderer

• eyeguy 54

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took the owners of Baby Beaver Baits and my boss Brian out fishing in the wind and  caught a few fish. All gills over 9 went back and all crappies over 12 were released. Best bait was 3 mm jig with a

Went out to lake that I have not been on in many years and the nice gills wanted to play eat the pink impluse mayfly and I was all about that game. 8-11 feet of water away from the crowds on a nice in

Nice fish!  I was out near mille lacs area and the frog bite was killing it. Had a handful in the 17-20” range. 

Posted Images

monstermoose78

It is going to warm up but I think some lakes will keep the ice until it gets colder. Please use caution if you are checking ice.

• 3 weeks later...
monstermoose78

Well I’m going to go fishing Tuesday after my dentist appointment. If it was not so windy to I would have gone out. 

9 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Well I’m going to go fishing Tuesday after my dentist appointment. If it was not so windy to I would have gone out. 

Where you going Moose? depending what time I would possibly be down to head out somewhere if you wanted company

• l Love It 1
monstermoose78

I will pm you Zach 

• Thumbs Up 1
monstermoose78

@Borch and @IceHawk thanks for taking me out fishing today!! It was great to hit the ice with you guys and I got to test out my new custom rod. If any of you don’t think you need a custom rod You need to try one out for yourself.

4FB65483-8ECE-4C64-AB2C-1DFBE25A7A14.jpeg

47A89EFD-88C7-46E2-B463-AFEAE7D49B92.jpeg

156B1835-2E62-4B23-AB38-0C4082F66950.jpeg

C129D126-FA80-4C22-B425-E0C973D50301.jpeg

DDFC74E4-B361-4BB3-A78A-A5A5E82128FC.jpeg

0F1DAC07-D8F8-4C2F-9440-98F1B772896C.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Official Fishing Report Team - MN
IceHawk

Your Welcome it was a fun day for sure. We will do it again soon !. I agree a custom rod is a tool to success definately worth the investment. 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

It was a fun day!

monstermoose78

Went out and fished one of my big gill spots and it was crazy to see all those big gills in buckets. I cried inside as this place is now going to take years to build back those gills. Some young guys listened to me and said they were sorry for having 50 big gills in their bucket. Yes they were under their limit they had 4 guys. They asked about the gear I had were interested in Learning about big gills. I recommended taxidermists to them. They really liked my measuring board. Here was one of the gills I got! 

676C2EE0-8B7E-45F6-A12A-E12E204C2BFE.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
monstermoose78

Most lakes have 7-10 inches but there are thin spots.

Kelly Oman

Open water right in front of launch on linwood. 2 guys went through this morning. Up to their waists in water. Just be careful walking out. Had 9 inches everywhere I drilled on the lake.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
monstermoose78

Who has been out lately?

monstermoose78
25 minutes ago, machinist24 said:

Knife wasn’t to hot. Fished it all day with my buddie. Only 6 keeper crappies.

Well you tried right. Thanks for the report. I will be going out tomorrow and I am thinking of heading north. 

monstermoose78

5-9 inches 

monstermoose78

Was out today around Princeton and laid the smack down on 4-6 inch bluegills. In less than two hours I caught at least a 100 and only a few over over 7 inches. Was good to get out and the ice was 10-12 inches for the most part. One areahad 8 tops, so please wait to drive out. I was using a 3mm with a pink mayfly. I think I should have tried my go to pug bug and maki mino. I will be trying a different lake next time.

63CCE9D2-648E-4BD8-9752-0DFA4B4FFCAA.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

I went out to Blue this morning. Had about 9-10" of ice. Not so much by the pier on the east access on Friday when I was out scouting. Had 2 guys drive out from the east access after I walked out. They asked how much ice, I told them 8". The guy replied "that's enough to drive on".

Didn't catch anything and saw little to nothing on the Vex. Pretty quiet day.

• Thanks 1
monstermoose78

It’s scary guys are driving on the ice. I have found some thinner areas on most of the local lakes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I was out on Spec on Sunday. Although there was 10-11" where I fished, there were spots in the middle that appeared to have 4-6". I haven't been on the ice for several years so that got to be a little nerve racking for me 🤣. Managed 1 little hammer handle on the west side.

Edited by Dave S
monstermoose78

swans had open spots and still do on some lakes. Green normally has thin spots  as well. If we get this heavy wet snow it’s going to be bad ice year.

Driving a car on 8 inches of ice is pure stupidity.   Honestly it may take some kind of law enforcement to stop some of these people from being so stupid winter after winter.

monstermoose78

Ok we lucked around Princeton with the snow. We got 2-3 inches of slush that should be frozen solid and making ice with -8 on my thermometer at this time. Please give it time before you drive out. The plan is to go fishing on Sunday if it warms up to 30 like they say. I am trying to decide on where to go. I am thinking green but I might go to some other lakes. I’ll play it by ear. My goal is to try and find some big gills. Please try to release those gills over 8 inches as we need them in the lakes to allow the small fish to focus on growing and not on spawning. 

• Thumbs Up 1
monstermoose78

Product reviews by monstermoose78:

I purchased a custom rod from Kichler Custom Rods and the rod is a black ice with blaze orange thread wrapping the guides. As I have mentioned before I really like the snitch but this black ice rod makes snitch feel like a broom handle for sensitivity. I have been running a 3 mm jig on the black ice and it loads the tip just enough to see those up bites. I have say if you are thinking of going to custom rod give Kichler Custom Rods a try.

I have descent reel from 13 fishing paired with my Kichler black ice. It has been working well for me. I have it spooled with 3 pound mono and 3 mm jig with a size 14 hook. I really like the impulse mayfly nymphs thanks to @eyeguy 54 . 

600FF8B8-0AE2-427A-8F68-0A56F61759AD.jpeg

23BAB1AF-479F-44E7-BE6B-12E85609F23E.jpeg

8A70BD25-F637-4940-891B-B7DB9F924A65.jpeg

11207A88-DA4D-4CAC-9984-D452509D4D4F.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
monstermoose78

Went to one of my big gills spots that has winter kills and it’s full of 4-6 inch gills. I guess it will be a while longer if it ever comes back. The pike there were fat as can be. The kichler impressed my best friend to the point he is ordering one. He could not detect the bites and I was pulling fish after fish.

• Thumbs Up 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Rick G
      By Rick G
      Just a heads up. Ice conditions, and specifically access points have deteriorated rapidly since last weekend. I think our days of driving on to all but a few of our area lakes has come to an end for the season. I have been spending my week in the Annandale and Richmond areas. Most of the access points that are on hills with runoff or have south facing shoreline are gonna take a beating first.  
      The good news is, there is still plenty of ice on the lakes, although they are starting to get sloppy..... and the panfish are starting their yearly push toward the shallows. 
      Stay safe and good luck this weekend!!!
    • leech~~
      By leech~~
      Anyone been by the Big Trout landing up by Cross Lake, MN in the past week.  Wonder how it's holding up? 
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Fish houses can be on the ice through March 31st.  Walleyes are open through April 14th, pike never close.  A good week of fishing despite a number of temperature changes.  A variety of walleyes, saugers, perch, pike, tullibee and eelpout being caught in 29-33 feet.  Jigging spoons with a glow stick or rattles tipped with a piece of minnow for the jigging line.  On the deadstick, a colored hook with a live fathead has been effective.  Electronics are helpful to show suspended fish.  When suspended fish are spotted, reel up quickly before fish swims through.  When your lure is 2 feet below the fish, reel up to the fish slowly so you don't spook the fish.  The suspended fish have been larger walleyes overall. 
      Big pike being caught on tip-ups with a quick strike rig and either live sucker or large dead baitfish in 5 - 15' of water.     
      On the Rainy River...   Morning / evening bite continues to be the best.  Remember, March 1st - April 14th, catch and release only for walleyes on Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River.  The snowmobile trail on the river from Baudette to Wheeler's Point to the NW Angle staked and groomed.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  With the border closure, there are four ways to travel to the NW Angle without crossing the border.  1.  NW Angle Guest Ice Road from south shore up to the Angle.  2.  Snowmobile trails across the lake.  3.  Lake of the Woods Passenger Service (bombardier).  4.  Lake Country Air flying service.
      A good number of walleyes caught this week up at the NW Angle.  Walleyes in 24 - 31' of water.  Jigging with a lure producing noise with rattles is effective.  Tip jigging spoons with minnow head, tail or whole minnow.  Experiment until you figure out what the walleyes want.  Plain hook or a glow jig with a live minnow on deadstick.  Communicate with your favorite NW Angle resort for specifics.  Ice fishing on LOW through March.  Remember, a new MN Fishing License is required March 1st. 

• Sue Baker
      By Sue Baker
      I am new to this site and was intrigued by some of the conversations.  Sounds like a good time gathering in Richmond, wish I could be there but I am in Missouri and wanting to come up for one more ice fishing trip this coming weekend. ( Mar 5-6, 2021) I fished at Cedar Lake in Faribault with my son about a 3 weeks ago and had a blast.  I can sneak away one more time this weekend but would like to know what the ice conditions look like now.  Can any of you offer me any suggestions as to the thickness and conditions?  Looking forward to one more trip to MN this season.  (We just do not have good ice in Missouri, will not even hold up a mosquito!!!!)

Thanks and enjoy your adventures.
    • smurfy
      By smurfy
      any idea when the tullibee might star biting off stony point on leech............i'd sure like to give that a go again.
    • Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Been awhile since I posted. Hope everyone had a great season ice fishing. I have been chasing pike mainly with the Aqua Vu this year and trying different baits. Pulled out the 5 of Diamonds to end the season. Who remembers this one. Anyone use it ice fishing. Thought I Share.

• Luzaich
      By Luzaich
      It’s coming fast! I’m guessing March 26th for birchdale
    • Hookmaster
      By Hookmaster
      A little long winded but I'm excited to share.
      Got out on Tonka 4 times this week. Yes, I'm retired. 😀 Bought the Milwaukee 2803-33 and put it on a 6" lazer hand auger that I've had for 20 years but have never used it since I have a gasser too. Very impressed by that set up. Also gave the LiveScope a good work out.
      Monday afternoon found the sunfish and crappie suspended over a 40-foot hole. Saw fish with the LiveScope with the first set of holes and drilled a few more to get on top of them. Kept 3 of each for fish sandwiches.
      Tuesday afternoon in the same hole but near the ridge that connects shore to an offshore reef. Mostly sunfish there but a few crappie too. All released.
      Yesterday started an hour before sunrise and fished a small 12 foot-hole that I started fishing around 1970. Caught sunfish, crappies, largemouth and lost an ~8# carp at the bottom of the hole. Had it played out and laying sideways at the bottom of my 6" hole. Trying to get it started up the hole and my 4# test line broke with a new 4 mm tungsten glow wonder bread jig in its lip. Looked at the flasher and they was another fish. Grabbed the other rod with a 1/16 oz jointed pinhead minnow on it and fired it down the hole to be immediately consumed by a 12" crappie. All fish released.
      This morning fished the small hole again at the same time. Sunfish and crappies. Largest crappie was 11 7/8. No sunfish over 7". Just drilled 3 holes in the spot with the most fish from yesterday. Two for fishing, one for the LiveScope and set the house up. It's fun seeing fish creeping in from 8 feet away and you can definitely tell the different sizes of fish on the LiveScope.
      Reminisced on some of the times I've fished this hole over the years with friends and family.

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      Son and I decided one last trip before ice melt on Rush. Lots of slush at access, probably unpassable by next weekend with 40 to 50 deg. temps next week. 25" ice with 4" packed snow on fishing area. No hot spot just area with 30 so wheel/skid shacks. Drilled a few around orange marker found nothing, flasher lit up at blue marker suspended 15 to 28 ft. 36 FOW. Bite non existing put everything down, colors, plastic, variety. Got 3 at 9 to 11 inch. Talked to several anglers, same results. Love the floor I built for the flip no water/slush everything dry. 

• gimruis
      By gimruis
      If you intend to fish past Sunday, you'll need a new 2021 angling license.

Additionally, the deadline to remove permanent/overnight fish houses is Monday in the southern half of the state.  If found unattended over night beyond the deadline, enforcement officials can confiscate the house itself.
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Thanks for the update. May give it a try soon before it goes away. 
    • ozzie
      drove by it yesterday and it looked fine in the morning.  in fact we saw 3 deer walking across the lake as we drove by...
    • ozzie
      I was in the Hackensack area yesterday and there did not seem to be any issue with driving around the lake or getting on or off, but the time is coming especially with the temps in the next week or so.  It was more like walking in white sand yesterday than snow.
    • ozzie
      drove by it yesterday and it looked fine in the morning. 
    • Better Than Working!
      I have only fished Kab in September, but I will be up there the same weekend. I have caught multiple large pike there with jerk baits around weeds and rocks. I have also caught large pike trolling leadcore over deep structure in September. I would think, and this is highly dependent on the water temperature, that the larger pike will still be in the shallower bays. If the water warms up a little earlier they will be transitioning out to deeper structure. I would start in the bays, especially around weeds, and use what you are comfortable with and have confidence in. 
    • smurfy
      Great advice Rick!!!👍
    • Fishing DA Range and nort
      slow ice melt, better May fishing in my experience.   The year vermillion was froze on opening weekend we caught the most walleyes on other lakes early in the year, spawning seemed to collide with opening weekend.   Last year was the first time I fished vermillion in may, not opener however.        
    • Rick G
      Just a heads up. Ice conditions, and specifically access points have deteriorated rapidly since last weekend. I think our days of driving on to all but a few of our area lakes has come to an end for the season. I have been spending my week in the Annandale and Richmond areas. Most of the access points that are on hills with runoff or have south facing shoreline are gonna take a beating first.   The good news is, there is still plenty of ice on the lakes, although they are starting to get sloppy..... and the panfish are starting their yearly push toward the shallows.  Stay safe and good luck this weekend!!!
    • DavidJo23
      Hi! I have a fish finder and it usually really helps. I love having one in my kayak. where I live the water is always muddy, so you have no idea what is down there without one. Me and a couple friends fished an area not long ago that was 3 to 10 feet deep pretty much everywhere, but it was super hot out and I knew fish would be in deeper water. Paddled around and found an area that dropped off to 20+ feet deep, dropped some bait down in the hole and pulled up 3 black drum over 15 pounds. So, personally, I don't know why it doesn't help you...  
    • Lucca
      Hey guys and gals. I am going up to lake kabetogama around June 18 for 2-3 days targeting pike. I have been up several times and not caught anything over 25 inches. I want to try and locate a true monster this time. Any spot recommendations and or lure recommendations? Thank you!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.