• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Moose's Report - Cambridge-Elk River-Foley-Milaca-Mora-Ogilvie Fishing Reports

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders
monstermoose78

Wahoo most of the small lakes have locked up!! This snow did not help but it should blow off if we get a breeze! Fingers crossed!!

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monstermoose78

• gimruis

• Wanderer

• eyeguy 54

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Took the owners of Baby Beaver Baits and my boss Brian out fishing in the wind and  caught a few fish. All gills over 9 went back and all crappies over 12 were released. Best bait was 3 mm jig with a

Went out to lake that I have not been on in many years and the nice gills wanted to play eat the pink impluse mayfly and I was all about that game. 8-11 feet of water away from the crowds on a nice in

Nice fish!  I was out near mille lacs area and the frog bite was killing it. Had a handful in the 17-20” range. 

Posted Images

monstermoose78

It is going to warm up but I think some lakes will keep the ice until it gets colder. Please use caution if you are checking ice.

• 3 weeks later...
monstermoose78

Well I’m going to go fishing Tuesday after my dentist appointment. If it was not so windy to I would have gone out. 

9 hours ago, monstermoose78 said:

Well I’m going to go fishing Tuesday after my dentist appointment. If it was not so windy to I would have gone out. 

Where you going Moose? depending what time I would possibly be down to head out somewhere if you wanted company

• l Love It 1
monstermoose78

I will pm you Zach 

• Thumbs Up 1
monstermoose78

@Borch and @IceHawk thanks for taking me out fishing today!! It was great to hit the ice with you guys and I got to test out my new custom rod. If any of you don’t think you need a custom rod You need to try one out for yourself.

4FB65483-8ECE-4C64-AB2C-1DFBE25A7A14.jpeg

47A89EFD-88C7-46E2-B463-AFEAE7D49B92.jpeg

156B1835-2E62-4B23-AB38-0C4082F66950.jpeg

C129D126-FA80-4C22-B425-E0C973D50301.jpeg

DDFC74E4-B361-4BB3-A78A-A5A5E82128FC.jpeg

0F1DAC07-D8F8-4C2F-9440-98F1B772896C.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Official Fishing Report Team - MN
IceHawk

Your Welcome it was a fun day for sure. We will do it again soon !. I agree a custom rod is a tool to success definately worth the investment. 

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

It was a fun day!

monstermoose78

Went out and fished one of my big gill spots and it was crazy to see all those big gills in buckets. I cried inside as this place is now going to take years to build back those gills. Some young guys listened to me and said they were sorry for having 50 big gills in their bucket. Yes they were under their limit they had 4 guys. They asked about the gear I had were interested in Learning about big gills. I recommended taxidermists to them. They really liked my measuring board. Here was one of the gills I got! 

676C2EE0-8B7E-45F6-A12A-E12E204C2BFE.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
monstermoose78

Most lakes have 7-10 inches but there are thin spots.

Kelly Oman

Open water right in front of launch on linwood. 2 guys went through this morning. Up to their waists in water. Just be careful walking out. Had 9 inches everywhere I drilled on the lake.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1
monstermoose78

Who has been out lately?

monstermoose78
25 minutes ago, machinist24 said:

Knife wasn’t to hot. Fished it all day with my buddie. Only 6 keeper crappies.

Well you tried right. Thanks for the report. I will be going out tomorrow and I am thinking of heading north. 

monstermoose78

5-9 inches 

monstermoose78

Was out today around Princeton and laid the smack down on 4-6 inch bluegills. In less than two hours I caught at least a 100 and only a few over over 7 inches. Was good to get out and the ice was 10-12 inches for the most part. One areahad 8 tops, so please wait to drive out. I was using a 3mm with a pink mayfly. I think I should have tried my go to pug bug and maki mino. I will be trying a different lake next time.

63CCE9D2-648E-4BD8-9752-0DFA4B4FFCAA.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • I Like it 1

I went out to Blue this morning. Had about 9-10" of ice. Not so much by the pier on the east access on Friday when I was out scouting. Had 2 guys drive out from the east access after I walked out. They asked how much ice, I told them 8". The guy replied "that's enough to drive on".

Didn't catch anything and saw little to nothing on the Vex. Pretty quiet day.

• Thanks 1
monstermoose78

It’s scary guys are driving on the ice. I have found some thinner areas on most of the local lakes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I was out on Spec on Sunday. Although there was 10-11" where I fished, there were spots in the middle that appeared to have 4-6". I haven't been on the ice for several years so that got to be a little nerve racking for me 🤣. Managed 1 little hammer handle on the west side.

Edited by Dave S
monstermoose78

swans had open spots and still do on some lakes. Green normally has thin spots  as well. If we get this heavy wet snow it’s going to be bad ice year.

Driving a car on 8 inches of ice is pure stupidity.   Honestly it may take some kind of law enforcement to stop some of these people from being so stupid winter after winter.

monstermoose78

Ok we lucked around Princeton with the snow. We got 2-3 inches of slush that should be frozen solid and making ice with -8 on my thermometer at this time. Please give it time before you drive out. The plan is to go fishing on Sunday if it warms up to 30 like they say. I am trying to decide on where to go. I am thinking green but I might go to some other lakes. I’ll play it by ear. My goal is to try and find some big gills. Please try to release those gills over 8 inches as we need them in the lakes to allow the small fish to focus on growing and not on spawning. 

• Thumbs Up 1
monstermoose78

Product reviews by monstermoose78:

I purchased a custom rod from Kichler Custom Rods and the rod is a black ice with blaze orange thread wrapping the guides. As I have mentioned before I really like the snitch but this black ice rod makes snitch feel like a broom handle for sensitivity. I have been running a 3 mm jig on the black ice and it loads the tip just enough to see those up bites. I have say if you are thinking of going to custom rod give Kichler Custom Rods a try.

I have descent reel from 13 fishing paired with my Kichler black ice. It has been working well for me. I have it spooled with 3 pound mono and 3 mm jig with a size 14 hook. I really like the impulse mayfly nymphs thanks to @eyeguy 54 . 

600FF8B8-0AE2-427A-8F68-0A56F61759AD.jpeg

23BAB1AF-479F-44E7-BE6B-12E85609F23E.jpeg

8A70BD25-F637-4940-891B-B7DB9F924A65.jpeg

11207A88-DA4D-4CAC-9984-D452509D4D4F.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1
monstermoose78

Went to one of my big gills spots that has winter kills and it’s full of 4-6 inch gills. I guess it will be a while longer if it ever comes back. The pike there were fat as can be. The kichler impressed my best friend to the point he is ordering one. He could not detect the bites and I was pulling fish after fish.

• Thumbs Up 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• papadarv
      By papadarv
      Looks like NOAA national weather has modified their colder than normal winter with December being quite a bit warmer. May be a struggle to get good ice by Christmas especially Southern two thirds of the state. Getting above average snow (as forecasted) will also hamper ice build. Hope they are wrong.

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  As we approach Thanksgiving, thin ice covers back bays and a portion of the big lake, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay.   Roughly half of the lake is covered in ice with the rest open water.  Ice anglers are hoping for cold nights combined with low wind and no snow to create a good early sheet of ice.  Every year is different based on Mother Nature of course, but normally resorts will be able to get their smaller fish houses, called day houses, out around December 10th.  When the ice thickens, resorts will begin marking trails where there is the best ice.  Stay tuned...
      On the Rainy River...   The river is covered in most places with a layer of thin ice.  Most ice fishing is done on the main lake during the ice season where there isn't current.  With current in the river, most visitors will work through a resort for safety.
      Up at the NW Angle...  The Angle has a mix of iced over areas with open water in neck down areas.  The ice is forming nicely and the hopes are for colder weather to keep things moving along positively.  Resorts are ready for ice fishing!  A complete list of lodging and ice fishing packages available at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging

• Bryan P
      By Bryan P
      Went out to check some ice on one of my lakes that seems to freeze over before most. 2-3". Still early but maybe another week and ice fishing has begun for me. We'll see. Anyone else getting excited. Now only if cold weather would hurry up and come!

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  As we roll into mid November, thin ice conditions on back bays as well as the Rainy River have put an end to the open water fishing season.  Big Traverse Bay is still open water.  The hope each year is to have cold nights combined with low wind and no snow early in the season to create a good early sheet of ice.  Every year is different based on Mother Nature of course, but normally resorts will be able to get their smaller fish houses, called day houses, out around December 10th.  A couple of resorts who provide spearing for pike in back bays of course earlier.  Again, this is just an average.  This year could be earlier or later, time will tell, but everyone is watching.
      On the Rainy River...   The river is covered in most places with a layer of thin ice.  The fall season ended up with a good number of shiners in the river from the fall run.  The few anglers who fished this past week had some good reports.  We believe there are a good number of walleyes in the river despite mixed fishing reports this fall.  Some anglers believe the sheer numbers of shiners in the river made the bite more difficult.  
      Up at the NW Angle...  The Angle has a mix of iced over areas and open water.  That is quite typical this time of year.  The ice is forming nicely and the hopes are for colder weather to keep things moving along positively.  

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      By LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...  Unseasonably warm weather the first week of November saw a fair number of anglers on the water.  Once the lake cleaned up a bit as the waters were dirtied up from a big blow, good walleye reports started coming in from various areas.  Anchored up and jigging with a minnow in anywhere from 7 - 26' of water has been the goto.  Walleyes are setting up in early ice locations nicely.  Some big fall pike being caught by walleye anglers jigging.  Jumbo perch in the mix with walleyes.  
      On the Rainy River...   Some very good reports on the river as of recent.  Four Mile Bay, Wheeler's Point and up river to Vidas putting out some good walleyes.  Most are jigging with an emerald shiner.  Gold, glow and pink have been strong color combos this year.  Anglers still fishing sturgeon catching some nice fish this week as well.
      Up at the NW Angle...  Many anglers have put away the open water gear but for those who are out, the walleyes are there.  With deer hunting started, most are in the woods.  For those still fishing, a jig and a minnow on points and areas with current in 13'-26' has been good.  Gold, pink, and glow colors great choices.  Pike and muskies are active.  A complete list of lodging and ice fishing packages available at www.fishingminnesota.com/Lodging

• Phisher0420
      By Phisher0420
      Had anyone tried and had luck finding worms in late fall. For some reason we have a worm shortage, not I've place in town has had then for weeks
    • JerkinLips
      By JerkinLips
      Anxious for ice fishing to start once I am done deer hunting.  Couldn't find any records of when Lake Vermilion ices-over (Big Bay freezes completely).  I am predicting ice-over the morning of November 14th.  Any other predictions?
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      What’s the status of small lakes in the arrowhead? I’m going to Grand Marais this weekend, and the forecast looks pretty miserable 😩 I have a feeling I’m going to be busting through ice to launch my boat. But is it at all possible that some of these little designated trout lakes could be locked up completely? 
    • JBMasterAngler
      By JBMasterAngler
      DNR has a proposal to remove the dam on the Grindstone River, in Hinckley. The reservoir, which serves absolutely no purpose, is about 27 acres, and is nothing but mud and silt. I’m in favor of any and all dam removals! They’re taking comments via e-mail until November 12. If you want to write the DNR, subject e-mail “Grindstone EIS” to [email protected]
  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• smurfy
      Drove by pleasant lake today coming home from st cloud.  99% of that lake is wide open yet 
    • CigarGuy
      Got up today. You're correct skunked. It frozen solid as far as I can see in front of me. Snowmobile tracks are running along our shoreline 🤔
    • SkunkedAgain
      Thanks for the input. I wish that were closer to the west end, as that's a bit of a hike for me but will always be an option.
    • SkunkedAgain
      From the White Eagle webcam, it looks like only the wings are iced up but the majority of Head O Lakes is open water still.   Therefore I likely won't be heading up there until the holidays.
    • JerkinLips
      Darrell - thanks for the information.  I also heard some scary news about premature ice fishing on Vermilion.  A couple of guys fishing in Stuntz Bay on 2.5" of ice.  Another couple fishing in narrows close to open water.   Weather doesn't look great for making ice, and the snow cover will slow it down.  Will consider all information and use maximum safety IF I decide to try going out Wednesday.  It is a long winter so there is no rush to get out.
    • Darrell Larson
      JerkinLips, I normally don't post about hear say!! but I did hear from a reliable source that a couple of fishing people went through walking out from McKinley. For what that's worth, this was earlier this week.
    • smurfy
      anybody???? anything??????????
    • JerkinLips
      Heard some people were out fishing at McKinley Park today.  HotL Bay is still open, so now I think it will be about November 29 before Vermilion ices-over.  I am hoping to make it out December 2.  Looked back at previous forum reports and came up with the ice-over dates below:
    • IceHawk
      Happy Thanksgiving to all !
    • leech~~
      If you think about it. With all the hunters, trappers, guides and people just living off the land up in Canada and Alaska. You have to wonder how many Ski-Doo Skandic's even make it down to the lower 48? I would even bet being so close to the boarder a lot more Arctic cat Bearcat's and Polaris Wide tracks head that way north then down here. Not trying to discourage you but it's kind of the hot time of year for sleds. You may do better picking up a used one at the end of the season this spring or very early next fall.  Good Luck. 😉

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.