• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake of the Woods Fishing Report

LakeofthewoodsMN

September has arrived along with cooler nights.  Having options on Lake of the Woods right now will improve your chances of boating more fish. Trolling crankbaits in 30-34' 10 miles out of Lighthouse Gap is producing nice walleyes. Chrome, blue, red, and a purple-pink are hot colors. The scattered schools are starting to move closer in to shore. Pulling spinners and vertical jigging with a jig and a minnow in 12-18 feet producing some nice fish.  Reefs are holding walleyes with a few pike thrown in the mix.  Smallies are active on shallow rocks and shoreline structure.

On the Rainy River, rain continues to be a factor but the fishing is heating up regardless. As fall approaches, Rainy River fall fishing can be excellent as shiners run up the river and walleyes are close behind.  As of right now covering lots of water to find fish is key.  More walleyes are showing up in 4 Mile Bay and at mouth of river each day as the water cools.  Anglers sturgeon fishing boating some nice dinos this week. Sturgeon "keep" season is now open through Sep. 30.

Up at the NW Angle, fishing has moved to bays and shallow water. Walleye and saugers are being caught in 10-13 feet around Flag Island and Oak Island, and in 16-27 feet south of Oak.  Some drifting with spinners in shallower areas.  Others trolling cranks away from structure with success.  Spinners with bottom bouncers are best option but pulling plugs while downrigging or using leadcore good as well. In Ontario waters, walleyes in 14-24 feet and 20-32 feet and moving daily. Crappies starting to school up in deep holes. Good electronics are helpful in finding walleyes this time of year as they are in many different places and depths.  Muskies being boated in Minnesota and Canadian waters. Cast large bucktails, stickbaits and subsurface baits over rock points, reefs and shorelines as they begin to pack on the pounds throughout the fall! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Minnetrista, Mn  
    • Mike89
      where's that place?   figured it out...  
    • leech~~
      First time ever going there with the wife. Little spendy but they make some darn good piles of meat! We had the brisket! 😋
    • fishingstar
      I have heard it's because of the drought. I know in my area ( meeker co.) the sloughs that they trap minnows in have dried up. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      Excuse my ignorance, but was is driving the bait prices? Usually the shortage is due to a late ice-out from the swamps and streams. This year should have been much better.
    • CigarGuy
      I should probably learn to use the 6+ containers of lures I have collecting dust in my tackle box. We got on a decent crappie bite the last couple of evenings and I broke out some plastics.  I caught some crappies on them ,just need to build my confidence in using them! I did notice they didn't seem to hold on to them as long as minnows!
    • PSU
      Great news, thank Skunked  
    • jim curlee
      Minnows are 50 cents each, and leeches are $50 a pound.
    • SkunkedAgain
      Absolutely. I get full bars all-along the drive from Cook to The Landing, and out into Head O Lakes bay. I can't say that I've stared much at my phone signal anywhere else besides on my way to Black Bay. We still don't get much for service there because there are a lot of steep slopes with tall trees in the way. That was expected though. The tower is definitely providing better service to the area in general IMO.
    • PSU
      Any updates on this new tower? Has it helped AT and T customers throughout the lake get better service?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.