• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any duck reports??

Any bird reports from the South end??? 

Just wondering if anyone is seeing anything flying or loafing. I am coming up for the weekend to do some maintenance on my parents place. Trying to decide what to haul up there. I know what I saw a month ago, but a lot can change in a short time on big water. 

People with eyes on conditions helps. 

Thanks. 

Here in TRF, an hour south of the lake, I haven't seen anything for new birds coming in.  Still plenty of woodies and teal loafing around the river each morning.

Saw a buddy shot a handful of ringies over by Bemidji a few days ago.

Very little shooting around the lake and river mouth on Saturday morning.  Saw a few ducks, and a handfull of geese, but nothing that even resembled a migration starting.

I hunted both Saturday and Sunday. Not much moving either day. Mostly teal on Saturday and a handful of mallards on Sunday. Did see a 3/pack of canvasbacks Sunday, but those were the only diver ducks I saw all weekend. 

The only shots I heard other than my own were a hand full from 4mile bay on Sunday morning. 

Coming up again next week. Hoping to target some main lake divers. But if the forecast holds at NW wind 25-30mph I might just hold off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Big wind this weekend made for a bit of a bumpy ride. Not much for birds flying where I was but did manage to scrape up a few birds. image.thumb.jpeg.8e305d870afd6a825421ec9image.thumb.jpeg.0895796c948e75f6c6d4058image.thumb.jpeg.4538fa66fe974d6f4b4cbd9image.thumb.jpeg.aa95eafc06de8eb49b4536can interest mix of birds. I went up there hoping to get in on a diver hunt. For the most part they were not there. I did get some buffleheads when the wind was out of the north. Otherwise I'm going to figure the mallards are locals, and the Bluewing teal was a nice surprise considering the overnight temps in the mid 20's. Not a bad way to spend 5days though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 11 months later...

Bringing this one back up to the top of the page. 

Anyone here been shooting ducks on the south end??? I am making the trip up to my parents only this time I am bringing the goose, MJ1657, and Molly along. 

Based on my notes from last year it will still be puddle ducks with a few mixed local oddball divers. But if anyone here has been seeing divers, geese, or has any recent duck hunting reports from the 4-mile bay, zipple bay, or rainy river outlet areas please let me know either here or by PM. 

Thanks. 

Well we spent the extended weekend up there. The big west and northwest winds kept us at bay Friday and Saturday, but we made the most of it. IMG_4045.JPG

the Ducktoon was put into its first test of real hunting action and performed well. IMG_4035.JPG

these two seemed to enjoy it. 

IMG_4043.JPG

they especially enjoyed when the camp stove decoy was deployed. 

We hunted three days in the 35-38degree temps, with big wind and rain for two days, and had a lot of fun doing it. The teal that were there on Friday caught tue Manitoba express and took a ride south in their journey. I'm sure they are in southern MN or IA now. We did get some birds each day though. Never in danger of a limit, but that's not what it was about.