• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Favorite jigging rod for open water

looking for some opinions on vertical jigging rod setups. I have a lot of setups but my go-to is a 6'3" MLXF with Sedona 1000 and typically use suffix 832 with some kind of flouro leader. Looking for some other options that work with for the first month on the big lake.

I have a 7' custom rod made by chad huderle of prior lake mn, I paired it with a tica and use power pro 8 lbtest 2 lb diameter. I can tell the difference be tween a granet pebble and a quartz pebble. unbelievable rod.

I use the same thing as you only a 6'6 St.Croix. It's a personal preference deal but that's a heck of a good place to start!

I have built a few jigging rods on 6'3" MLXF st Croix rods. Scv and sciv. Great blanks. Spendy though. My dad was always in the cheap rod camp until he fished a high end Croix blank. I've heard good things about batson and mhx blanks too.

I hate braid and leaders on light rods. I just don't see the need for it. I think your splitting hairs over increased sensitivity. Especially for jigging in 14 fow. I'd take it over cheap mono though. I use p line copolymer. I save the superlines for casting rods and where I need 20+ test.

There are a few reasons i like Suffix 832 with a mono leader. First of all i like to have a swivel between the two to help or eliminate line twist especially when using a whilstler type jig (which works awesome on the opener i might add). Second of all when jigging structure or rock reefs on LOW is inevitable your gonna get snagged. I like having braid in order to either muscle out the snag or simply snap off the mono leader, re-tie and move on. I only loose 3-6 feet of line that way (whatever the leader length is). Additionally I feel i get a nice solid hook set with a little bit of give from the leader. With a MLXF i feel you give up a little in hooksetting power so the 832 helps with that but the leader helps with a bit of stretch in the even you find yourself in a battle with a larger fish. Again, all personal preference. If i feel like there's something better, hey I'll try it!

St. Croix avid series, medium light action, 6'6". I equip this with a Pflueger Supreme XT reel. Really nice set up

Thanks for the info fellas! I'm going to try the p-line on a ML setup and see how that works too.

Question - Is the stretch low enough when jigging out deeper off the edge of reefs, say 30 ft, or does it even matter?

I also build a few rods, been looking at the Batson MXF blanks in their RX8 line, seems to compare to the SCIV which I really like. I'm building a setup for my old man and he doesn't have any decent rods, I priced out all the guides, aluminum handle, cork, etc for about $140 which didn't seem bad to me. I'm going to try and spool him up with some of that p-line, he doesn't like cutting superline.

I've used p line at 30 feet and it was fine. I wouldnt try a super light jig though,I usually use 1/4 heads.

If you like mono, that p line is the best out there imo

I use a St Croix Eyecon Dropshot rod, its 6'8" Medium with extra fast tip, pair with pflueger president reel and powerpro 10 lb, tough to beat, light and super sensitive

• 2 weeks later...

No dropshotting, just vertical jigging, rod model just happens to be made for dropshotting

• 4 weeks later...

I paired it with a tica and use power pro 8 lbtest 2 lb diameter.

Boar - Is that a Tica 500 or 1000? I paired a St Croix Legend MLXF with a Tica Cetus 500 from my ice fishing gear and love it. My two cents is that the 500 reels are enough for even the bigger walleyes. They have 6 lb drag, and for vertical jigging, how much line do you really need on the spool anyway.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.