• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horrible people

monstermoose78

that's the problem with the bucket. The water takes all the fluff away and they look small. They are about half the size of the sled for heaven's sake. Glad I had it with me to drag them out of the basement, guy could have a heart attack dragging pigs like that out.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leechlake

• monstermoose78

• pushbutton

• DonBo

The younger ones are more tender and just taste better.

Question-------- did you do a drive and herd these 2 to the posters or were you still hunting?

Well he is a pointing chihuahua Surface Tension. I wanted to make him in a great grouse dog, but the wife said chihuahuas don't hunt.

Chihuahuas don't hunt? I can see them giving up if the only mouse they have to chase is this guy:

full-8710-51417-speedy.jpg

When will we see some national coverage of our great mouse hunting?

I can't imagine the liberal media giving us any good press. Probably best if they just leave us alone. PETA would have a field day with some of the less than ethical strategies you guys employ.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Well baiting is legal in many state now for deer, but this is Minnesota so I be they ban baiting for mouse hunting. Say good bye to the good ole days. Spot and stalk is so hard around here with all the thick cover.

Eric W: no, we don't drive them. We use stand blinds, little stools that let us hunker down into the grass or hide in a pile of leaves. And I use a Packers cheesehead hat, that seems to work really well. For scent, I put peanut butter on my boots. If you have a few skins left over from last season, you can make a few finger puppets, sort of like spinning wing decoys. And for some reason, those little buggers seem to like listening to Alvin and the Chipmunks.

I think I am good to go full-12169-51443-dadstarget.jpg

High ones were at 50 feet low ones are 20 feet. I know there is a flyer but hey I am not pefect all the time.

I'd suggest getting some trail cams set up in and around your hunting spot.

My son and I set a cam up last month on our bucket trap but, no-go. Smart little guy. He made the fatal mistake last week though and took a swim. wink The trail cam was back up north in the woods, however.

Well he is a pointing chihuahua Surface Tension. I wanted to make him in a great grouse dog, but the wife said chihuahuas don't hunt.

Safe to say when your pointer's tired, you can continue the hunt with him in your game pouch?

Bagged and tagged #7

full-27018-51392-20141121_153707.jpg

Good catch.

I suppose I could always call the MNDNR in the am, but does anyone know what the bag limit is on mice? And is it split up from the different species? For example, would the law say something like, "the daily bag limit on mice is 10 daily of which no more than 5 can be deer mice?" And is it either sex per license or do you need to apply for permit to be able to legally take the females?

I just want to make sure I stay within the law when I take up my mouse trapping. Don't want to pay an over the limit ticket

Oh, and also, about two weeks ago, I emptied the recycle bin and there was a dead mouse in it. It had been in there for quite awhile so I didn't think the meat would be any good at that point so I just tossed it in the woods. My question is, did I violate wanton waste laws and do I have to count that towards my bag limit?

Eric-

if you want to hear the story just go to "Hunting" "Lets see your mouse photos"

It's all right there.

LL, I saw this post so I went there and read your story.

Man, I could feel the excitement of the hunt. I felt like I was living that hunt through you. I can't imagine the thrill of bagging your first one in a sportsman like manner. I got the traps and plan on a short line in my garage sometime this week.

Sleeping in anticipation of my adventure will be hard but I just tell myself,"patience, TJ. Your trophy awaits you."

go ahead guys pick me apart with "Personal Attacks" obviously violation of the rules here.

Some guys fold under questioning and cut deals, others hold their own.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

tacklejunkie. the way I read the law and limits of mice is your entitled enough mice for one fur coat. If you have a wife or kids they get a limit as well and party hunting is OK.

Years ago we would just SSS.

I've had good luck asking for permission for new places to hunt. You just have to be willing to knock on a few doors. Don't overlook boats in winter storage as places to trap.

Quote:
I've had good luck asking for permission for new places to hunt. You just have to be willing to knock on a few doors. Don't overlook boats in winter storage as places to trap.

He might do well if he re-badges his mission from "TJ the Hunter", to "TJ's Nuisance Control". If he ends up being successful in his exploits, he would be entitled to the honorable moniker of "TJ the Exterminator".

This could end up being an enjoyable and profitable sideline for him if he plays his cards right.

He might do well if he re-badges his mission from "TJ the Hunter", to "TJ's Nuisance Control". If he ends up being successful in his exploits, he would be entitled to the honorable moniker of "TJ the Exterminator".

This could end up being an enjoyable and profitable sideline for him if he plays his cards right.

Now you're going to turn a wonderful family oriented sport into a business? The thought sickens me. Soon all the good spots will be leased up by rich city boys, leaving no place left for those of us less fortunate who just want to show our children a good time in the great out (or in) doors.

Quote:
Now you're going to turn a wonderful family oriented sport into a business? The thought sickens me. Soon all the good spots will be leased up by rich city boys, leaving no place left for those of us less fortunate who just want to show our children a good time in the great out (or in) doors.

horrible.

yep, the Outdoor Channel will be filled with the Bill Jordan's of the world blathering on and on about mouse hunting. I see this sport is going that direction already.

If anyone has free time today I could use a little help tracking. Heard a ruckus about 3:00 am, found one of my traps about 10 ft away, with my quarry getting only 1 front leg stuck. Not wanting to deal with it, just tossed it outside. Upon waking...no mouse ....no trap ...nothing. Followed a blood/snow trail for a little bit, but had to break off to go to work. Am concerned as it is now snowing and might cover up the trail. It is the same trap as pictured above, as for the mouse it it indexes well, and maybe missing a left front leg. Again any help would be appreciated, if you find it, it's yours, would hate to see it go to waste. There will be a 2 dollar reward for the trap...it is hands down my favorite and would like to see its return.

Better check for cat prints in the area, it might be a trap! The cats could have pulled the trap/mouse into a spot where they can ambush the chihuahua. Proceed with caution.

Better check for cat prints in the area, it might be a trap! The cats could have pulled the trap/mouse into a spot where they can ambush the chihuahua. Proceed with caution.

What kind of horrible person would even dream of leaving their cats go unattended where they could do something like this? Come on people, if you're going to be a pet owner, step and be a responsible pet owner so no one else has to go through a horrible loss like this. Again.

pushbutton,

so you "backed out"? Probably the best call usually. Nothing worse than jumping them from bed and then they always seem to run forever. One year I pushed one too fast and all I found the next week all I found was a skeleton with a little hide left. It may have been a different one but since it was only October I figured that may have been an early migrator and the only one in the house.

I did notice that with this cold weather and frozen water outside I'm finding some scat in the sinks in my house. I may set up nearer a water hole tonight. I've got a nice spot by the bar sink where the adults seem to be licking up drops of spilled Captain Morgan and coke. When they go to water I may be able to intercept one. Probably set things up about 5pm tonight by the bar and see what happens.

Finally, my son had hockey late last night and afterward him and I watched a bit of tv in basement until about 1130pm. We may have screwed up their normal travel patterns by being around. Wasn't surprised in the morning to have nothing in the bucket. Stupid move on our part, hope we didn't burn it out.

Interesting! I do have a big dumb lazy cat and there has been a number of unexplained cases of pointing chihuahuas gone missing over the years. Maybe the cat is smarter than I had thought, not a mouser because why bother when he can take down bigger prey like chihuahuas, and is so fat because of it? It is quite possible I am one of these horrible people.

You know what the solution is ESPECIALLY if your a liberal pet loving person. We need CAT PARKS!! Just like we have dog parks. It's unfair/discriminatory that these owners have no place to go run with their kitties!!!