• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Horrible people

monstermoose78

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I have 2 cats scratching the heck out of my front door. Why is this happening, because there are horrible people who let their pets run wild. If I did not live in town I would take care of this issue with a BANG BANG and it would be all over. I do have some 110 conibears that would work awesome for these cats, but my wife is against me setting a trap for them. I am sick of smelling cat pee when I leave my house. Why do people think it is okay to not take care of their pets and make them become someone else's problems. Worthless Horrible People is my thought. I no calling the PD and see if they can send out the dog and cat catcher, because that way my wife can not get mad at me of killing these poor animals.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• leechlake

• monstermoose78

• pushbutton

• DonBo

They are just looking for some food. They really like Tuna with some of that "green stuff" mixed in I heard? wink

I would check and see if there is a city ordinance for off leash pets. You start killing off other peoples pets and the law kinda frowns on that. At the least getting your name on the front page of the local newspaper for killing a neighbors pet is a lousy image to project.

live trap from the city is what I did a few years ago. then the city can take care of them. or if tame, catch them and tie a note to the color that you will be trapping them for the city. smile

I thought about killing the cat, but I know I can not do that because I live in town. There are leash laws in the city I live in. I called the Police and they said if the cat seems nice I should take it in. O heck no I grabbing a cat I do not know and taking it in to the shelter. I do not need to get bit by some stupid cat that might have some stupid disease. I told the dispatch that I would not catch the cat because I do not want to bit. She laughed. I told her would she be willing to pay my medical bill for going for a cat bite. She said No. She said an officer should be on there way soon and if the cat seems mean it might have be dispatched.

Eyeguy the local officer is bring a live trap but if the cat seems mean it will not be allowed at the shelter.

The point of this thread is about people who do not take care of the animals. If you do not want your animal any more please take of it the right way, so others do not need to deal with it. I have a little dog and I do not want something to happen between them outside.

I told her would she be willing to pay my medical bill for going for a cat bite.

This can be serious. I got bit/scratched by our own family cat when moving and it got infected. Spent 3 days in the hospital and a $10,000 bill.

I believe the issue at times with stray pets is, they are all cute when they are little and some people get pets and do not realize the cost to take care of them properly.

So, they get a cat or dog, it gets sick and they cannot afford the vet bills or their kids do not take care of the pets so they get dumped elsewhere for others to deal with the pet.

They should dump the pet owner outside and let them fend for food and warmth.

Glad I don't live in town.

Stray cats are looked upon as a nuisance at my place, and given the appropriate treatment.

Are they someone's pets? Do you know who owns them? Are they strays?

People do stupid stuff all the time. I've learned to not get too worked up over it. I would just take care of the situation however I need to and move on. Start with the appropriate channels like calling the police, if you get nowhere with that then you may have to take more drastic measures, secretively.

The big question is are these family pets or are the feral cats? I live in St. Paul and there are feral cats in virtually every neighborhood.

Just do the live trap and take the cats into the humane society or other shelter. If they appear to be feral they'll handle them as such and will put them down. If they are pets and can be identified they'll be returned to the owners likely with a bill attached.

If I called the police every time a stray cat shows up here I imagine they'd tell me to start shooting them.

When I lived in suburbia I trapped them with livetraps that I purchased, then called animal control. They'd come out and put the cat into their container and then take them to a facility to check for a microchip. No microchip...dead cat.

First of all M'moose, you might want to take something that will calm you down a bit. Then you might want to spend some time wondering WHY this cat, or cats, suddenly decided to scratch on YOUR door?

You mention you have a large pile of Conibear (sp) traps and that makes me think you might have in or around your house a container of something you use in trapping?

It is a shame some people do not take care of their cats and dogs.While they may be insensitive and a bit ignorant they probably are not "horrible people". Live trap the cat and take cat, trap and all to a shelter or call to see if they will pick it up. Unless you try to grab the cat it is not likely to attack you.

We once had to trap an entire litter that had established domicile under a deck. Including the mother cat. That big box was actually bouncing when we walked into the shelter with it. A report later said most of the cats, half wild, were placed with families that WANTED them and took care of them.

There must be a reason they frequent YOUR front door.

Do you raise catnip or sardines?

I think if you put on some leather gloves and protective clothing (thinking of Ebola suit) you can avoid getting bit. I realize it stinks that this has become your problem but that just may be the quickest solution. Not to be overly positive but turn it into your weekend hunting trip. I'm presently trying to catch mice in my basement using the same logic, I'm now a mouse hunter.

Ha....Leechlake...am up to six. No trophies yet for the wall. Still one or two left. Don't know if it the wile vet or a couple parentless youngsters. Tracking down the scat trail it appears to be the latter....good luck to all the hunters this weekend.

I'm presently trying to catch mice in my basement using the same logic, I'm now a mouse hunter.

Are you set up in a ground blind made out of blankets or do you have a ladder stand leaned up against the wall?

I assume you are hunting pinch points and natural funnels?

Don't try to get fancy with your shooting, just aim for the boiler room. That will give you the most ethical kill.

Happy hunting!

I have a five gallon pail with water in it. Ramp leading up to edge of bucket and an old arrow across the top of the bucket with a soup can on the arrow and peanut butter on it. Mouse climbs the ramp steps on the can eats a bit of peanut butter, can spins mouse goes in the water and drowns. Clean it up in the morning.

Last night I was basically shut out because of wolves aka my black lab puppy who found the bucket and licked all the bait off. The good thing is besides seeing some mouse dung my son spotted one the other night scurrying from the utility room. It got into the thick stuff before he could get an ethical shot at him.

Haven't seen any scrapes or rubs but tonight it's supposed to be 70 degrees with no wind in the house, "we'll see what happens." I will post pictures.full-2204-51387-img_3535.jpg

Cats are nothing to joke about. I got Cat Scratch Fever back in 1998. It has cost me all my time, half my sanity and hundreds of thousands of dollars so far.

You guys got nothing on me! wink

Total so far out of garage.

24 mice

4 Voles

Nothing in last two weeks, I think my season is over! frown

Whats the hyde going for these days?

Takes me back to my youth when we skinned 30 chipmunks once.

Was gonna make a chipmunk pillow.

smile

Had a buddy once spend an entire weekend on the porch at the cabin with a .22 pistol with birdshot, shooting mice as they scurried between the woodpile and the refrigerator. That was fun!

24? If I get that close I'm making a hat for the wife for our Anniversary. Hope she doesn't read this post or the cat will be out of the bag.

I think last year I got 6 or so. We're in the city so that's the limit. Wish I had a cat, problem solved.

Real sad part of people doing this to their pets, some people will kill the pet. Sad that the animal has to pay with it's life do to a poor owner. Not the pets fault at all, they are just trying to live, eat and be warm.

Takes me back to my youth when we skinned 30 chipmunks once.

Was gonna make a chipmunk pillow.

smile

Grew up pretty poor, so when the cool colored rabbit foot keychain was all the rage, had to walk around with a cheap knockoff.... with the bones hanging out.

Come on Tom, don't try to steer this in a serious direction wink

yeah Harv, we had this post derailed to Hall of Fame status to be used for generations to come.

Here's my set up, note the two ramps and they are made of Cherry ta boot!!! I added a spare ramp in case the mice are so thick they have multiple options. I don't forget that the real part of mouse hunting is the camaraderie and being together with family and friends. My 14 year old daughter is in camp for the first year so I'm going to sit with her tonight. She's never wanted to deer hunt because she said "I could never kill a mammal." She's okay with small mammals I guess. full-2204-51389-img_3856.jpg

Daughter and SIL live in Elk River. 3 weeks ago they noticed a big bump ay bella the labs neck. Bella is on a rope when outside. The bump got huge so to the vet they went. Shaved it and vet said most likely a cat bite from the marks on the skin and it got infected. 125 bucks so not terrible but the couple of cats constantly running through their yard might just have to change.