• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ruff grouse reports 2014 season

laker1

Emily area

No dogs

Walked some trails flushed 3 the first day only got this one.

Today flushed one and missed. Flushed another and couldn't get a shot I saw it didn't flush very far tried to send my girlfriend in to get it so she could get a bird but she couldn't get through the fallen trees. I went in to flush it and as soon as i broke through the downed tree i see it not 15 feet away from me I turned to tell her to get through no matter what then turned and watched the bird in my sights. As she was coming in it flushed and flew away I was hoping she would get a shot off so I waiting to long before trying to get a crack at it myself and missed too much brush in the way by the time a shot. Oh well she will get a bird soon!

Seems like I don't see as much birds on the hot sunny days like today anyone else get that too?

full-43444-50194-grouse.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• laker1

• birdguy

• brittman

• ZachD

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh we also walked into a wolf too. We turned the corner and what I thought was a deer standing in the middle of the trail turns out it wasn't. I told my girlfriend look at that deer but as we walked closer it turned to walk of the trail and it was no deer just a big old wolf. She was a little hesitant to keep walking but I told her not to worry she has a stick that goes boom in her hand.

hunted west of Walker the past 10 days. I usually hunt about an hour every morning and an hour late afternoon. All but one time did the dogs put birds up and there were some woodcock too. My shooting was awesome until I realized it and then went down hill a bit. I was very happy with the numbers of birds although it wasn't anywhere like the peak years.

I hunted mostly private land but spent a day over the weekend (mistake) in the Paul Bunyan and ran into a lot of hunters but did find a few birds. Kind of stinks when you want to sit on a trail head on the tailgate and have a sandwich with the dogs and have them retrieve multiple grouse carcasses guys left laying around after pulling the breasts. Hiding them under leaves somehow didn't fool the dogs...

Bird Guy. Why not put these pheasant hunt photos and reports in a Pheasant thread on this forum.

Title of this thread is "Ruff Grouse reports 2014 season".

Thanks.

Thanks brittman, I will from now on.

Zach - nice display. I also do a tail mount for grouse similar to turkey mounts.

gtails.jpg.w560h420.jpg

Anyone been in Nemadji this year, How did you do? I am heading up there Saturday morning for the day. Will report when I get back as well.

I used to hunt there often and do well, but the ATV's have kind of ruined it. The Sandstone National Wildlife Refuge is a good place to hunt, park at the south end and hunt the one long trail which then splits into two trails, must use steel shot though. I always do good on woodcock there. Also hunted west of Hinkley in the St. Croix State Forest but horse traffic kind of wrecked those trails.

Last weekend four of hunted for a few days. Me and my buddy got one hunt in Thursday night, and two Friday morning. My neighbors came up Friday afternoon. The four of us then hunted Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday morning. We shot 29 birds. WE got 23 WC and 6 grouse. I hit another grouse that dropped a leg but we couldn't find it.

We were north of Mora.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

The poor Grouse, bottom of the food chain!

Everything eats them. It's funny we see many at all anymore. frown

Some of this we can thank PETA and all the predator lovers for.

There was a heck of a lot more trapping going on 10-20 years ago before the big "Fur is bad" craze. This really killed a great deal of the fur market and way less buyers are buying fur.

So you have a large increase in predators and every little rodent, Skunks, Raccoons, Fishers, Weasels, etc, eating their eggs in the spring and then Bobcats, Fox, Coyotes, Wolves, Goshawks and Owl's pounding them the rest of the year.

And yes humans take some as well. Out of all the guys I know that use to hunt Grouse maybe only 10% of them even give it a try anymore. I think the human predation is down a lot for the last 10 to 20 years as well. 2c

If your talking predators,its the egg eaters doing the most harm. Number 1 would be the raccoon in north central Minnesota,which at one time was absent from the north woods.

It is a weird year,drumming counts were up statewide almost,nice size broods across much of northern Minnesota,but than cool rains came and had friends talk about seeing numerous big broods and as spring went along they really shrank in numbers.

Up by Women lake for 3 hours and seen only 2 grouse this week.

Hunted Nemadji last year and did pretty well. You have to get off the trails and having a good dog helps a lot. I like what they are doing up there, lots of logging going on.

I have not made a walk this fall without moving at least one grouse, but I am also not seeing lots n lots of birds. Averaging moving about 2-3 birds per hour of walking. Bringing home about 2 birds per day.

The areas that I hunt are drier this year and woodcock have been few and far between.

Hunted Nemadji last year and did pretty well. You have to get off the trails and having a good dog helps a lot. I like what they are doing up there, lots of logging going on.
We will have one pretty good dog with us thanks for the info. I have not hunted the area since 2007 but we did pretty good when We were there. Will report Sat night how it went.

Good luck to everyone going out this weekend!

3 hours by Longville,seen only 2 ruff grouse,deer ticks are back out this afternoon with temps hitting 62 degrees. Had about 30 deer ticks today.

Walked a couple of trails Saturday morning with my wife and the dog. Wound up with 2 grouse and 2 woodcock. Saw 2 more grouse, but didn't get shots at them. This was in the Bagley are, and yes the deer ticks are horrible right now!!!

Hunted Nemadji for 3 hours Kicked up probably 10-12 birds we only managed to knock down one of them. Most birds we found were in very thick cover so good shots were hard to come by.

full-43444-50428-grouse3.jpg

Was up around Grand Rapids and wow is it dry there. Naturally birds were found in the lowest wettest spots we could find. Moved about 2-3 birds an hour.

When did driving in a truck on gravel roads become hunting? Disgusting how many of these lazy unethical hunters I've seen driving around at 5 mph. Slobs

going4it:

I'm sure your comments exclude people with a disability and/or severe physical mobility restrictions. They do don't they?

Buddy of mine has one leg and can shoot from vehicle legally. It's a hassle though because when he does it sometimes he gets read the riot act from someone else until he explains the situation or pulls his pants leg up and shows his titanium prosthesis. Although most people going 5 mph I'd wager aren't handicap or legal to do it.

Now back to the 2014 Grouse Report...

Anyone that knows me knows that I hunt grouse about as hard as anyone. In the thick stuff all day, don't walk trails, check the compass and follow the dog. That being said, I did do a little road hunting this weekend. It was hot, dog was tired and the guys that agreed to come with me aren't as keen on sticks in the eyes and ears as I am.

Its nice to enjoy the woods from a comfy seat sometimes as well. As long as all rules are being followed I think its an ok way to kill an hour or two in between walking.

Yep. Setterguy nailed it.

I enjoy a walk in the woods as much as the next fat person, but it's also a very pleasant way to spend the afternoon slowly cruising county roads and backwoods logging roads just taking in the scenery, and occasionally hopping out to chase a grouse.

When the population numbers are down sometimes a person has to cover more ground then they can on foot to find a bird or two. Couldn't agree more about what is said above. If all the rules are followed there's nothing wrong with anyone, handicapped or not, taking an afternoon drive looking for a grouse.

If one is ONLY road hunting, that's kind of "another story". But I know a LOT of people that only hunt deer from their truck. What are you going to do? crazy

It's really no different then folks driving hundreds of miles to "scout" for waterfowl. You gotta find em' somehow.

As one gets a little older, and a little more experienced, we're not quite so quick to judge others based on our own perception. whistle

Back to topic:

Most of the beans are off in NW MN, and the sharp-tails are showing up in HUGE numbers! Unfortunately, too much of our CRP is being put back into production, and I fear for the future of our sharptails up here.

Leaves are all down now, and I'm seeing ruffies a lot more often. From here on out I'm thinking we should see a pretty good upland hunting season!

We only saw 4 sharpies in 5 1/2 days this year Sam. 2 years ago was awesome. Last year was bad, this year they were nearly extinct. Are they cyclical like ruffies?

When did driving in a truck on gravel roads become hunting? Disgusting how many of these lazy unethical hunters I've seen driving around at 5 mph. Slobs

If it bothers you so much, stay in the cities.

So what is everyone's take on ATV road hunters coming up behind a couple guys and a dog on a trail and passing them only to cruse slowly along looking for grouse the two walkers could have flushed and shot?

I generally avoid trails where there is a truck parked at the trailhead. I have had a guys on an ATV putt by me before and it was a bit frustrating. I usually get off the trail anyway but it still feels pretty rude.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I have shot a lot of grouse after being pasted by wheeler. It seemed the grouse heard them coming and flattened down or stood still, but as soon as the wheeler was getting out of noise range they would start moving. It seemed to be focused on the way the wheeler went. As moved I moved in for a shot. We as hunter need to stick together and stop fighting among our selves. If it is legal to ride a wheeler where you choose to grouse hunt than you should expect to see wheelers. There are more than enough trails where wheelers are not allowed.

I know someone will say some wheelers go where ever they want well if they are breaking the law call tip. Lets all get along and have an understanding for the other side. My cousin has a disability and is not able to walk, but he gets nasty comments from hunters who are walking for grouse. All because he riding a wheeler, well he can not walk.