• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Ruff grouse reports 2014 season

laker1

Okay we got 2 days before we can hunt. But it would be nice to hear what people see and location within 50 miles-that is close enough to your secret spots.

Wonder if many people going out?

My biggest reason for not going would be the number of deer ticks the last few years.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• laker1

• birdguy

• brittman

• ZachD

Top Posters In This Topic

My BIL does surveying with much of it being up north. Sounds like the grouse are still on their low end of the cycle. Not seeing very many.

I've heard mixed reports in the areas I hunt in the central part of the state. Some are really good some not so good. I guess the only way to find out is go out myself.

Saw 12 total in 3 days. Road hunting with kids, and one guy walking. Shot 3, and they were all young birds. 2 coveys of 5-7 birds. Also saw a few woodcocks, which was nice to see!

Is it just me, or have the grouse been in a perpetual down cycle since I was in hs? (2012) I haven't been grouse hunting since then, but haven't heard much for good statewide reports in A WHILE

Is it just me, or have the grouse been in a perpetual down cycle since I was in hs? (2012) I haven't been grouse hunting since then, but haven't heard much for good statewide reports in A WHILE
We should be on the upward cycle now grouse-chart2.jpg

Found plenty of birds off the trails 20-100 yards with the dog Saturday morning. Saw/heard 13 different birds in 2.5 hours. Mostly groups of 2 and 3 birds. Getting good shots was another story with all the leaves. Lots of hunters out.

What I've noticed over the last ten years is stay away from the ATV trails and you need to get out and bust some brush, get dirty and scratched up..Been hunting Grouse for 30+ years..always been a tough hunt, always will be..that's what makes it so rewarding when you have a good day. I understand the allure of ATV's and the accessibility and all that(trust me, I feel it after a day)but them birds that do hang around the trails are not there for long but you may get a nice walk or ride out of it..just don't expect to see or shoot much...everybody and their brother up north road hunts after work on the back roads also...The beauty of Grouse hunting also is that you don't really need a dog..I do better without mine (a good Pheasant dog)just gotta take your time, move slowly and watch the ground in front of you..

Perpetual down cycle since 2012 ? Two years is not much time when looking at population cycles.

I have no problem killing plenty of birds (well at least shooting at) near ATV trails. A good dog and willingness to walk is all you need. Dog works on and off the trial - out to say 30-40 yards either way.

I have walked trails as ATVs were leaving or being loaded onto trailers and shot birds around the first corner.

On long trails, I have killed almost as many birds on the way out as the way in.

I do better without mine (a good Pheasant dog)just gotta take your time, move slowly and watch the ground in front of you..

Mine make the transition between woods and fields fairly easy. I would not hunt grouse without a dog.

I have no problem killing plenty of birds (well at least shooting at) near ATV trails. A good dog and willingness to walk is all you need. Dog works on and off the trial - out to say 30-40 yards either way.

I have walked trails as ATVs were leaving or being loaded onto trailers and shot birds around the first corner.

On long trails, I have killed almost as many birds on the way out as the way in.

Agreed. I kill/shoot at a lot of birds while walking on trails. It just so happened on Saturday the birds were back in the woods a little ways where I was hunting. Honestly, I don't get off the trail until the dog gives me a reason to. That's why I have a dog.

Shot double (first grouses ever for both of me and my dog) today for first hunt of the year... Mambo pinned one in island of ferns I was walking toward where mambo was pointing, grouse explode front of me, dropped that one and all of sudden 3-5 grouses start to flushing at once , shot one more and missed another then 5-8 more grouse flushed when I am trying to reload and mambo was still pointing before the bird he was pointed finally flushed before I had chance to shoot...

I never ever had seen actions like that before!!!! Pointed couple more after that no shot chance as it's Jungle alike out there. Fun day!

There should be more reports than this,you all watching the Viking's or what.

Seen 2 grouse by Mille lacs in about 2 hours,pretty slow and a lot of leaves.

Trying to decide where to go this next weekend, the 24th. Have spent time east of Ely near Isabella in the past. Other areas you may suggest?

Then I guess everywhere is fair game! My suggestion is meant to steer the guy towards the areas the DNR is saying are furthest along in leaf color, which should correlate to the areas furthest along in dropping leaves/dying undergrowth. Leaves are not 100% on trees, FYI. They're starting to fall in areas that got a frost on grouse opener.

Flushed 6 on Sunday.

Got two. One flew up a tree and the other was shot in flight.

Both young of th year birds. In fact, my youngest went with his friends after school yesterday and they got a couple and they were young birds.

It seems other I've talked to are seeing alot of small birds. Was there a big chick hatch?

Up here in NW Minnesota our leaves are progressing along in color nicely, and today, with the gusty south winds, a lot of leaves are coming down.

Went down to fish the river behind my house just a few minutes ago, and it was pretty much impossible to cast with the billions of leaves floating in the water.

Leaves are turning nicely, but there are still too many leaves up to affectively hunt grouse....at least around here. Understory, as well, is still thick this fall.

We've had two light frosts up here so far, but both were pretty "patchy", and we certainly haven't had a hard frost yet.

I was out last night. I'd say the woods are about 50% as thick as they were a week and a half ago. Still tough to get good looks/shots at birds, but it's getting better!

Just back from hunting the Ely area and parts north with a friend for a couple of days. It was so-so as we usually bring back ten birds each and this time out we got 11 birds total and one woodcock so, not a great trip but a good one just the same. The cover is still pretty thick and the birds are fairly deep in the woods so having a dog helped out a lot.

It was a mixture of young and old birds. I'd say most of the leaves will be down in a week or so?

limit2014.jpg.w560h420.jpg

trail2014.jpg.w560h420.jpg

thick2014.jpg.w560h420.jpg

tails2014.jpg.w560h420.jpg

I flushed 8 grouse and 4 wood cock in 9 miles of walking in the Crosslake area on Saturday. It was hot and lots of leaves still up. I had shots at five of the grouse, but only dropped 2. It was a good start to my season. After the heat and the skeeters, it felt good to do some night trolling for eyes to cap off a fun Sunday. The eyes were definitely hungry with plenty of fish between sunset and moonset.

Buddy and I got 7 in the Park Rapids area this morning, all before noon....off the beaten path....full of buds and berries. Pic of my buddy, his dog Zena, and the 7.

full-39626-49570-smittywgrouse92814.jpg

Neat pic and looks like fun. Did the dog hunt, also?

Looks like folks are having success. Nice birds everyone. I won't be breaking brush this year but am up bow hunting in good grouse area. Leaves are really yellowing, starting to drop pretty well, aided by strong winds this week. Flushing lots of grouse just walking our clover trails into the stands and seeing birds on and around food plots. Seeing woodcock moving each evening also. This is SW of Duluth.