• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gopher Football 2014

SkunkedAgain

This is about the worst place most highly ranked HS athletes would want to go. Cold, snow, actually requiring kids to go to class and get decent grades but hey, thats what it takes.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainMusky

• Big Dave2

• JBMasterAngler

• SkunkedAgain

LOL the naysayers on here are pathetic. What do you expect they just all of sudden are going to become one of the best teams in the nation. It is a process and they have been progressing very nicely these past few years.

Not all of a sudden but it would be nice to win your conference once in 47 years.

all from the guy who loves UND. Isn't that hypocritical where did they get their hockey arena?

That was a private donation. Was a match in kind deal. They had to figure out how to spend that that much on a college hockey arena in order to get the match for the rest of the university. Hence the marble floors, leather seats and granite condiment shelfs.

47 years. That's just sad. I will most likely watch and root for them against Bucky but history tells me it is in vain.

That was a private donation. Was a match in kind deal. They had to figure out how to spend that that much on a college hockey arena in order to get the match for the rest of the university. Hence the marble floors, leather seats and granite condiment shelfs.

"private donation"? How is that different than booster? And if you think or believe it was a "match in kind" I have a bridge to sell you. I applaud folks like englestad who give back but call it what it is don't use a smokescreen because you were caught...

How does Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Ohio State recruit year in and year out then? Most years you can throw Iowa and Nebraska in there too. How do these schools get kids to go to their schools? U of M is one of the only schools in the big 10 located in a major city. If anything, they should have a recruiting advantage.

All those schools with the exception of maybe Iowa and Wisconsin are much closer to where the large number of the talent is. How do those schools get them? Well they have a stronger tradition. If the gophers hadn't had the Brewster debacle I have no doubt they would be in the mix. Newsflash MN isn't a hotbed for 4 star football players. There are a few but you take a thirty second glance at the facilities these other schools have and then look at the U of M and you get slapped in the face with how far behind they are.

Engelstad arena built with a 100 million dollor donation. Actually came to 104 million after contruction and that same amount was donated to the university for other needs.

The vault was a 300 million dollar project. Rodents had 52% and the state had 48%. That 10 million/year equates to 1.7 million/game for the next 25 years on our taxes.

Start another thread if you want to argue facts readily available on wikipedia. I'm going to hope the rodents get the axe. Return on investment.

All those schools with the exception of maybe Iowa and Wisconsin are much closer to where the large number of the talent is. How do those schools get them? Well they have a stronger tradition. If the gophers hadn't had the Brewster debacle I have no doubt they would be in the mix. Newsflash MN isn't a hotbed for 4 star football players. There are a few but you take a thirty second glance at the facilities these other schools have and then look at the U of M and you get slapped in the face with how far behind they are.

So, Tim Brewster is what has held this program back for 47 years? LOL! crazy

Of all the things our tax dollars are spent on in relation to return on investment TCF stadium isn't one I am going to lose a lot of sleep over. I hope they win next weekend it would be great, if they don't at the end of the day its not the end of the world, its a football game.

They have been entertaining and competitive in every game this year other than the early TCU game. The kids seem to love playing for this coach and I think this coaching staff is wringing as much talent as possible out of the kids they have.

Hopefully they can keep upgrading on the talent they have the cupboards were pretty bare when this staff got here.

BTW its actually closer to $800,000 per game but who's checking facts.

How many games do they play at home each season?

Not all of a sudden but it would be nice to win your conference once in 47 years.

Yes that also proves what I am saying. They are going to need to slowly work their way towards that conference championship, and to completely discredit what they've done this year is foolish. Kill is turning this program around, and it looks like they could be a contender in the conference very soon.

Yes that also proves what I am saying. They are going to need to slowly work their way towards that conference championship, and to completely discredit what they've done this year is foolish. Kill is turning this program around, and it looks like they could be a contender in the conference very soon.

Like Saturday soon. Playing for the Big Ten West the final game of the season makes you a contender. Not saying they will win, but they are quite literally contending for a chance in the title game.

How many games do they play at home each season?

they played 7 this year so I went with that number because usually the two cupcakes are at home to start but may not be every year.

48% of 300 = 144

144/25 = 5.76

5.76/7= .822

Convert to millions $144,000,000; $5,760,000; $822,000

exactly. If they hadn't lost to Illinois they would be champs right now. What a letdown but hey that happens.

Huge game Saturday and it would be awesome if they pick this bone off. The last two wins they have had Iowa and Nebraska are IMO the biggest wins in Kills career. The Michigan game was big but they are just plain terwible.

The way the dismantled Iowa and the comeback against Nebraska in their house, a place we have won in 54 yes is great.

exactly. If they hadn't lost to Illinois they would be champs right now. What a letdown but hey that happens.

As it turns out, that loss only possibly hurts the Gophers when bowl decisions are made. Saturday's game would still be for the division title if the Gophers had won at Illinois.

As it turns out, that loss only possibly hurts the Gophers when bowl decisions are made. Saturday's game would still be for the division title if the Gophers had won at Illinois.

how does that work? I guess I didn't look it up but since the game against the badgers determines the winner I ASSumed (bad on my part) they would have won the division with an additional win. Must only count "leaders" division wins then?

how does that work? I guess I didn't look it up but since the game against the badgers determines the winner I ASSumed (bad on my part) they would have won the division with an additional win. Must only count "leaders" division wins then?

If the Gophers had beaten Illinois, both the Gophers and Badgers would have the same Big 10 records, so the winner takes the division. The Badgers now have a one game better record in the conference, so if the Gophers win then they are tied, but the Gophers win the division because of head to head record.

If the Gophers had beaten Illinois, both the Gophers and Badgers would have the same Big 10 records, so the winner takes the division. The Badgers now have a one game better record in the conference, so if the Gophers win then they are tied, but the Gophers win the division because of head to head record.
Correct

As big Dave stated in a earlier post it remains to be seen if this is the ceiling on the Jerry kill era and it is a reasonable question to ask, only time will tell as none of us know but for right now it would be hard to deny after taking over a program in the dumps he has them pointed in the right direction.

Just for something to chew on Barry Alvarez who most would agree put Wisconsin back on the map, his record his first 4 years

1-10

5-6

5-6

10-1-1

Point being a turnaround doesn't usually come as fast as everyone would like with a new coaching hire which MN has a long record of some obviously poor choices. Even with Wisconsin's ten win season in their fourth year they had some bad seasons in the mix after that.

Hopefully we got it right this time, still a long way to go but at least there is some hope again for something better to come in the future.

How does Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Ohio State recruit year in and year out then? Most years you can throw Iowa and Nebraska in there too. How do these schools get kids to go to their schools? U of M is one of the only schools in the big 10 located in a major city. If anything, they should have a recruiting advantage.

Look at the facilities at each of these locations and I think you'll have an idea. (Not where they play the games but where they work out, eat, sleep, etc etc.)

Of course an Alabama fan would be so obtuse as to not notice anything beyond "durr, them gophers is in da big city ha-hyuk them should have lots of 5 star recruits ha-hyuk"

(Yes, all alabama fans sound like a mentally challenged goofy with a southern drawl in my head. From experience I'm not too far off in my characterization)

A major point is missing in this discussion about recruiting. Minnesota abolished their general college which most if not all the previous mentioned colleges have. Most college athletes will be placed in this college their freshman or frosh and sophomore year to acclimate themselves to college and not have to declare a major and take general classes toward a supposed major.

The academic requirements for the U of M since Kellar came in are much higher than most big ten schools save Northwestern. This is used as a recruiting tool against the U of M by other big 10 schools and I have first hand experience with 3 of my friends kids that went through the process. Kids aren't concerned with how many fortune 500 companies are available to them and the networking possibilities post graduation in Minnesota, they are looking at how quickly can they make it to the pros and how little of effort is required scholastically to get there. I think Kill and his staff have done an incredible job with the resources, both players and facilities, available to them.

A major point is missing in this discussion about recruiting. Minnesota abolished their general college which most if not all the previous mentioned colleges have. Most college athletes will be placed in this college their freshman or frosh and sophomore year to acclimate themselves to college and not have to declare a major and take general classes toward a supposed major.

The academic requirements for the U of M since Kellar came in are much higher than most big ten schools save Northwestern. This is used as a recruiting tool against the U of M by other big 10 schools and I have first hand experience with 3 of my friends kids that went through the process. Kids aren't concerned with how many fortune 500 companies are available to them and the networking possibilities post graduation in Minnesota, they are looking at how quickly can they make it to the pros and how little of effort is required scholastically to get there. I think Kill and his staff have done an incredible job with the resources, both players and facilities, available to them.

That is a very good point. For the most part athletes at the U are required to be legitimate student athletes working toward a major, they aren't able to float through in bogus general studies classes. That does hurt recruiting if you are hoping to go after top tier talent that has legitimate aspirations of playing in the NFL. They want to put 100% into football without having to worry about getting passing grades as well. Most of those guys can go to any school they want so they are usually going to pick an easier academic school where all they have to do is play football and carry a book around once in awhile to give the illusion that they know where the library is.

Just for something to chew on Barry Alvarez who most would agree put Wisconsin back on the map, his record his first 4 years

1-10

5-6

5-6

10-1-1

Point being a turnaround doesn't usually come as fast as everyone would like with a new coaching hire which MN has a long record of some obviously poor choices.

Here are some more coaching records to chew on:

Glenn Mason..........Jerry Kill

3-9.......................3-9

5-6.......................6-7

8-4.......................8-5

6-6.......................8-4 (presumably)

Those first 4 years look pretty similar and Mason ended up hitting a wall and getting fired. I'm not saying this will inevitably happen to Kill but I am saying that you are not out of the woods yet.

Kids aren't concerned with how many fortune 500 companies are available to them and the networking possibilities post graduation in Minnesota, they are looking at how quickly can they make it to the pros and how little of effort is required scholastically to get there.

I think the key going forward for the Gophers will be the ability to lure some more of those 4's to play here instead of Ohio, Wisconsin, or Michigan. You surely need good coaching , but, skilled players are also neccessary to establish and maintain a winning culture.

When they killed the General College they doomed our athletic programs to compete at an elite level in all but a few sports... BBall and football are probably the hardest hit as a high percentage of 5 star athletes are looking to sign pro contracts and not get an education (sad but true) and want a place that will enhance that chance with least effort... ie schools where football and basketball players read at an average level below HS (some at an elem level) per CNN article in 2014... cannot recall exact date.

found link;

www.cnn.com/2014/01/07/us/ncaa-athletes-reading-scores

Big Dave I didn't say we were out of the woods but you conveniently left out part of my post to your liking. I don't know how the rest of the season or the future is going to go for this program and it is quite obvious you don't either as anybody that wants to go back and look at your posts on this thread can see.