• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gopher Football 2014

SkunkedAgain

I'm excited, probably because I've been reading the preseason articles for once. Leidner seems like a real leader and it sounds like our LBs and DBs should continue to be a strength along with our running game. We really lack WRs again but if you're going to be a power run and defense team, there is no better conference than the Big10.

Who's going to the opener next Thursday? I think I'm going to take off the entire day to hit the State Fair first.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainMusky

• Big Dave2

• JBMasterAngler

• SkunkedAgain

Things are looking better over there the past 2 years. I've always followed the Gophers and I'm looking forward to the season starting too. We have to continue improving on the in-state recruiting. If we can do that we can take the next step. I think they will finish in the top half of the West.

I would love more than anything to say the gophers will finish 7-5. But looking at that schedule I just can't predict anything better than 6-6.

I'm pretty sure I predicted 9-3 last season. I was pretty sure they were going to beat Iowa, and after they didn't I thought they were in for a very long season eek I certainly predicted them to beat Syracuse in the bowl game...that may have been the biggest disappointment of last season.

The most excitement we are gonna get from this lame squad this year is Kill flopping around on the sidelines again. I would like to get excited about them, but I just cant. They will be mediocre at best again, and the 50 year rebuild will continue. It would be nice to play in something more than the Duber's general store meaningless Bowl, but it wont happen. Kill needs to be fired.

Buck, your posts are often entertaining but to make light of someone's medical condition is complete talk.

Buck, your posts are often entertaining but to make light of someone's medical condition is complete talk.

Yeah, probably not my best post ever, but you get the picture of what I was trying to say. I think it will happen to him again, and it will be more of a story than the team. I dont think he should be let go because of his condition, I think he should be let go because he is not the answer.

Unfortunately I think Buck is right. I hope it doesn't happen, but I think it's almost a guarantee he will have another game related seizure. Kill is the answer if we're content on winning 6 to 8 games a year and going to a minor bowl game. We'll never attract a big name coach, and if we get a young guy with a HUGE upside, he'll just use this place as a stepping stone.

The Gophers will be an improved team in 2014, by that I mean better than last year. However, that will not be reflected in their record due to a much tougher schedule. I'm thinking 7-5, anything better than that will have to include another upset or two. The Gopher talent level is continuing to improve and Kill and his staff must be given some credit for that. They've done a good job of coaching up some 2's and 3's,now they need to go out and get some 3's and 4's to get to the next level. A few 5's would help but after all this is still the U of M and not the Bighouse!!!

Hopefully we won't have to worry about it but agree it is a big distraction. Maybe the players don't see it that way but it sure seems like it from then outside looking in.

I don't know how people can say that it's a distraction. It only seems to be so to the media and the fans. The players all say the right thing, that it's not an issue. Then they go out and rip off a winning streak in the Big Ten while he's out. Trust me, if it was an issue for the team they would NOT have had one of their best conference performances in decades.

one of their best conference performances in decades.

That's the whole problem. That mediocre season WAS one of their best conference performances in decades. Why on earth would anyone ever get excited about this team? The fact of the matter is, they have been pretty much putrid for the whole 35 years I have lived here and I don't see any reason to believe anything will change in the near future. This squad will have a very hard time matching their record from last year, it just isn't going to happen.

That's the whole problem. That mediocre season WAS one of their best conference performances in decades. Why on earth would anyone ever get excited about this team? The fact of the matter is, they have been pretty much putrid for the whole 35 years I have lived here and I don't see any reason to believe anything will change in the near future. This squad will have a very hard time matching their record from last year, it just isn't going to happen.

why exactly do you care so much about this if you cheer for a (yes, I'll admit this) legit contender of a team?

I mean... you're a 'bama fan. It's not like you're a fan of some school with an inferiority complex who needs to come over to gopher state to brag about some win against an absolutely terrible UofM team from years ago.

This will be another Mediocre season by a terrible program.

Win the Big 10, and a National Championship then get back to me.

Anything less is a failure.

Last year's team was fun to watch. Old school football. Run it down there throat. I loved it. I'd like to see a improved passing game.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I'm with ya CJ...

anything less than shooting for a Big Ten Championship doesn't excite me much.

I hope Coach Kill keeps them going in that direction.

Small schools dont get good over night, the best recruits in the country dont pick MN. You either have to get lucky and have a kid excel way beyond what any one predicted, or you have to slowly improve, to where each year you get a little more interest from better players.

I will admit I was really optimistic after last season's progression (slow, steady) that this year would show another nice progression. That was when we had two capable (not 4 star) QB's. Then Nelson decided to leave, well that leaves Leidner, who I think can be a capable QB, but with the style of play we have seen thus far from him he will probably get hurt again. Then what? I dont have a warm fuzzy about who's behind him.

I think the Defense, especially the secondary are this team's strength. The passing game for the offense will be the biggest question mark for me. Running-wise we should be near the top of the league, but passing could be bad.

I think 8 wins would be excellent for this team this year based on these factors.

Small schools dont get good over night, the best recruits in the country dont pick MN. You either have to get lucky and have a kid excel way beyond what any one predicted, or you have to slowly improve, to where each year you get a little more interest from better players.

That is not good enough. Winning is all that matters, everything else is secondary.

Win and get back to me.

Until then the Gophers will be viewed as a mediocre to terrible program.

why exactly do you care so much about this if you cheer for a (yes, I'll admit this) legit contender of a team?

Couldn't I cheer for more than 1 team? I would love to see the Gophers be a contender at least once in my life before I die. At the rate it's going, that doesn't seem likely.

BTW, I thought you were an Auburn fan so why do you care to defend the rodents?

I'm glad it is half time. Now I can take a break from watching the high bowl bound Gophers and watch the Super Bowl bound Vikes for a bit! Go teams!

Who's a small school? I think the U of M has twice the enrollment of Neraska and about the same as Michigan.

Overnight? How about in 40 years?

Why don't the best recruits pick MN? What does Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin have that Minnesota doesn't? It seems to me that people in this state have the idea that no one will ever want to come here so what can we do? Heck, I think the Gophers are being out recruited by NDSU.

I dont care who ya are thats funny right there.

Happened a couple of years ago at UM-Crookston. I had to look it up to see if it was a Photoshop job, but unfortunately it wasn't!

Couldn't I cheer for more than 1 team? I would love to see the Gophers be a contender at least once in my life before I die. At the rate it's going, that doesn't seem likely.

smile

I actually feel the same way, though a little less morbid. Just have to give 'bama folks a hard time now and then.

Thought the gopher D looked pretty alright last night. Overall slow start but it turned into a fun game to watch.