• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gopher Football 2014

SkunkedAgain

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CaptainMusky

• Big Dave2

• JBMasterAngler

• SkunkedAgain

Did you see that ECU kid get thrown out of the game for unsportsmanlike play. NOn football action... he punched a MN player in the nuts! what a POS and then was yelling about being thrown out????

Comes down to practice facilities and Player lounges most of the time. The UofM are still trying to raise enough money for new facilites for the Football and Basketball teams. These kids need to be able to play PS3 and xbox in the lap of luxury, don't you know. smile

I thought the new stadium was supposed to accomplish that?

Did you see that ECU kid get thrown out of the game for unsportsmanlike play. NOn football action... he punched a MN player in the nuts! what a POS and then was yelling about being thrown out????
Couldn't tell in the stadium since they didn't show a replay, but we all assumed that he said something to a ref since we didn't see a reaction from any of the Gophers.

A pretty good game last night. We looked like the same old Gophers in the first quarter, only keeping an even score because EI kept making unforced errors. Finally the running game and defense came around and for three quarters we looked like a superior team. The DBs weren't even turning around for the ball in the first quarter, but after that they were tipping and batting away balls left and right. The D-line got after the quarterback and we kept them nailed down. The running game looks good, as Cobb seemed just as good as last year and Edwards was blazing fast. There was a collective OMG from the crowd when he blew past the defense on his TD run.

Unfortunately, our passing game still seems to rely on mostly Maxx Williams. Hopefully we will improve over the season. Overall a good game for Minnesota.

Yeah the MN guy gently slapped him on the helmet as they were walking back to the huddle and the MN guy likely said something unkind... BUT he uppercuts him right in the nads and turns away as the gopher tried to grab him. Ref was watching and caught him. Wonder how much of that dump goes on?

How many of you are seeing life through Rose colored glasses today.

Gopher wins: 1

Kill's seizures:0

I expect seizures to out number wins in the Big 10 this year.

Was a fun game to watch. And the gophers got better as the game progressed. But it's tough to get too excited when they were playing a 1AA team. I'll be much more impressed if they can do it again next week against Middle Tennessee State.

QB is STILL the issue...pretty solid team right now but they just don't have a "difference maker" taking the snaps.

Tough on Kill and Co. that Nelson didn't pan out...he was "their guy" that was supposed to be just that. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in his years at UM.

The pass offense is going to struggle all year...I see a 50/50 team because of that.

I like Liedner because he's a tough kid...good leader and all, but he struggles to throw the ball. That doesn't cut it in the BIG10.

BIG DAVE,

Lou Nanne has been placed in charge of the fund-raising effort to build a multi-sport "athletic cathedral". The U of M currently doesn't have one and their athletic facilities are far below that of most D1 colleges playing in major conferences.

It's been an issue for years in both football and basketball. Tubby tried for years to get this done...Pitino and Kill WILL get this done.

The size of the school means squat...it's all about what the school can provide for each athlete. Take a look a what Michigan State recently did with their facilities...and what they could recruit with.

Couple of local examples for ya...look at what St. Thomas did when they finished their "complex". Check out what SDSU is doing to compete with NDSU...what UND did to do the same. Could go on and on and on....

The $$$$ flows in the SEC...football is king. Every major conference in the country can't keep up. The players(recruits) are in their back-yard...the facilities are second to none...and they dominate college football, as they should.

Scholarships #'s may be the same...the rules for all D1 teams may be the same...the $$$$ coming in to a program is not. See the Oregon Ducks as another prime example.

Alabama may be the best football "program" in the country during the last decade...I guarantee you they're also one of the best "funded".

BIG DAVE,

Lou Nanne has been placed in charge of the fund-raising effort to build a multi-sport "athletic cathedral". The U of M currently doesn't have one and their athletic facilities are far below that of most D1 colleges playing in major conferences.

It's been an issue for years in both football and basketball. Tubby tried for years to get this done...Pitino and Kill WILL get this done.

The size of the school means squat...it's all about what the school can provide for each athlete. Take a look a what Michigan State recently did with their facilities...and what they could recruit with.

Couple of local examples for ya...look at what St. Thomas did when they finished their "complex". Check out what SDSU is doing to compete with NDSU...what UND did to do the same. Could go on and on and on....

The $$$$ flows in the SEC...football is king. Every major conference in the country can't keep up. The players(recruits) are in their back-yard...the facilities are second to none...and they dominate college football, as they should.

Scholarships #'s may be the same...the rules for all D1 teams may be the same...the $$$$ coming in to a program is not. See the Oregon Ducks as another prime example.

Alabama may be the best football "program" in the country during the last decade...I guarantee you they're also one of the best "funded".

I don't disagree with any of this, I just wonder why it took 50 years to figure it out?

I always wonder why the Gophers football plays team well under their division.

I have always thought to get better at anything, if you play the best, you will learn your weakness's and you can grow from that.

Playing teams like this past one and more in the future means nothing, you may win many but it simply does not help to have the team grow and get better as these weak teams cannot exploit your weakness's.

When the kid started racing modifieds, we raced locally and did very well. Then go to the bigger races and we found our weakness's. After racing with the better teams, we learned what we had to do to improve and went from there and did do much better.

I would guess that would reflect on any sport.

Good teams can and will make you better, beating the smaller teams only say you can do well against the little guy, fine if you want to stay at that level.

I always wonder why the Gophers football plays team well under their division.

Because if they didn't they would only win 2-3 games a year and never make it to a meaningless bowl game.

Yep the Gophers pay terrible teams to make themselves look good.

The Gophers have not won a Meaningful game in 3 decades.

BIG DAVE,

If Minnesota can't compete then maybe they need to shut'r down or move back to FCS. Stop trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip and crying about fairness.

The truth hurts doesn't it.

The Gophers are a joke.

Apparently not drinking the maroon and gold kool aid means I am a troll.

Enjoy another mediocre season Gopher fans.

Overall, a good win for the gophers. Seemed like they kinda' fell asleep in the 2nd half though. I like the secondary though. Next week at TCU should be interesting. whistle

Much like the first game. Strong run game, weak passing game. Strong first half, weak second half. Big ten west is weak. Would be a great year to steal some games.

Tough match up for the Gophers today against TCU. The only way I see them having a chance to win is if they are able to grind out some long drives. They need to keep the Horned Frogs offense off of the field. TCU ran like 96 offensive plays in their opener, if they come anywhere near that today it will be a long day for Kill's crew. Gophers definitely needs some breaks today, pass to Max on first down and play solid D. But reality is they are 14 point Dogs today.

Hey, if they moved down to FCS at least then they'd be a mid-tier team instead of a cellar-dweller.

Mid-tier is looking like it might have been a bit generous.

Really good effort today.

What a disater this team is.

TCU is mediocre at best and the Gophers made them look like National Championship contenders.

I'm glad it is half time. Now I can take a break from watching the high bowl bound Gophers and watch the Super Bowl bound Vikes for a bit! Go teams!

Gophers are definitely bowl bound!

toiletbowl_zps1794e862.jpg

Definitely not a good showing for the gophers today. Leidner is horrible! 3 picks and a fumble, and was missing receivers by a mile! Our run game never had a chance to get started because of that! I don't know how good that freshman kid is, but he needs to be the starter next week!