• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sting Operation on Lake of the Woods

Am guessing you also do the math to determine the cost per lb. of game and fish you harvest? Just wondering.

The DNR does this on a popular central Minnesota lake to regulate harvest. Look how that turned out.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kfk

• maxpower17

• DTro

• harvey lee

I guess I don't understand why this is such a big deal. The DNR, like the law enforcement, is supposed to protect and serve. Lake of the woods is the largest fishery in the state therefore should demand the most resources to protect the fishery and serve in educating the people of obeying the laws.

People are complaining about the quality of fish that are being caught both numbers and size. Then the same people complain when the DNR sets up a sting to send a message to the resorts and weekend fisherman who are not obeying the laws that protect LOW from over harvesting and etc...

With the exception of a few, the local CO's are good guys unless they think you're pushing the boundaries. My question is What do you want them to do? You complain that the fish are small and then you complain that the DNR spending too much $$ to enforce the law to ensure the quality of fishing in the future. We have been going up to ice fish there for 13 yrs and the fishing isn't "like the olden days" to say the least.

We clean our own fish and when we go in to the cleaning shacks the majority of guys there are from out of the area and all have a bucket full of 12-13"ers. The resorting business is big $$ up there and the resorts will do what it takes to make sure their guests are happy. It turns out some go outside the lines of the law. In my opinion the DNR fines the resorts so it hurts to send the message without publishing them in a newspaper article. Make the press and citizens go through the public records to find out who it is and then decide if they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I heard from a very reliable source that is the rumor that got the DNR to do the sting in the first place. That resort were garaunteeing limits no matter if you caught them or not. He also told me that it blew up in the DNR's face because they did not get what they were looking for. The DNR is better off sticking with there saturation patrols then going under cover. Now they have lost the cooperation of some resorts. Like said it is big $$ for the resorts why would they run the risk. But hey, the DNR spent a bunch of money to find squat! Good job! crazy

I'm thinking that the local CO's did a gigantic *facepalm* when the "Sages of St. Paul" came up with this plan.

Sage1: "Let's send 40 CO's up to Lake of the Woods and put them undercover in resorts and see what kind of mischief everybody is up to up there."

Sage2: "Is Lake of the Woods north of 694?"

Sage1: "Yes I think it is."

Sage2: "Wow! That is really far north isn't it?"

Sage3: "Will there be hookers and gambling?"

Sage1: "No. That's budgeted for the 'Marketing Translucent Mission Statements in a Tepid Economy while Dilating Backflow for Optimum Outreach' program in Vegas next October"

Sage3: "Are we signed up for that?"

Sage1: "Of course we are. I will be sending you a cover story to tell your wife."

While maybe not actual verbatim text grin , would think this is entirely more probable than the two local CO's hatching up the plan. Before assigning any type of blame on a situation like this, remember the DNR is ultimately a legislative/political entity.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

If you were not breaking the law you had nothing thing to worry about. If you were breaking the law than you better be looking over your shoulder. Crying about the DNR doing a sting is like crying that the state troopers do DWI enforcement over the holiday weekends. You know the rules follow them it is pretty easy.

Common sense has run rampant in here! I don't get what there is to argue about.

Cabin fever maybe? Why is everyone looking for an argument?

I'm thinking that the local CO's did a gigantic *facepalm* when the "Sages of St. Paul" came up with this plan.

Sage1: "Let's send 40 CO's up to Lake of the Woods and put them undercover in resorts and see what kind of mischief everybody is up to up there."

Sage2: "Is Lake of the Woods north of 694?"

Sage1: "Yes I think it is."

Sage2: "Wow! That is really far north isn't it?"

Sage3: "Will there be hookers and gambling?"

Sage1: "No. That's budgeted for the 'Marketing Translucent Mission Statements in a Tepid Economy while Dilating Backflow for Optimum Outreach' program in Vegas next October.

Sage3: "Are we signed up for that?"

Sage1: "Of course we are. I will be sending you a cover story to tell your wife."

I worked for a different state agency for a few years, mainly in Roseau and Kittson county. I had weekly telephone conferences with the Dept. head in St. Paul. The comments about being in the "Greater Minnesota" region where common although they seemed to think the Greater area extended from 694 north to about hwy 2. North of that we where somewhat of a thorn in their foot.

"I worked for a different state agency for a few years, mainly in Roseau and Kittson county. I had weekly telephone conferences with the Dept. head in St. Paul. The comments about being in the "Greater Minnesota" region where common although they seemed to think the Greater area extended from 694 north to about hwy 2. North of that we where somewhat of a thorn in their foot."

And to us, everything south of Highway 2 is a thorn in ours.

A 6 month "sting" involving 40 CO's nets the results below. Two conclusions:

1. A majority of sport anglers are honest and law-abiding

2. Once again, the government highlights how ineffective, wasteful and unaccountable it is in most things (other than spending your money!)

Angling related

23 possess over limit walleye (misdemeanor fines plus restitution).

19 pack fish without a packer license.

10 transport walleye without a skin patch.

1 angle while angling license revoked.

1 unattended line.

2 transport undressed walleye from special regulations lake.

1 illegal length walleye.

1 unlawful culling of walleye.

2 deposit litter into lake.

1 angle with extra line.

Tickets are the life blood of the DNR Enforcement Division. The ladyofthewoods is correct in saying that wardens are looking for something illegal in every fish house or boat. There cannot be any quota of tickets, but it is heavily implied in order to get good ratings. So, in every sting operation, the goal is met along with many of the minor violations noted during that time and prosecuted after it is over. Yes, many laws are written to find infractions, such as fishing used to be defined as "with rod in hand". But that was done away with during the recodification of laws a few years ago. Sportsmen have to keep up with the fine print of laws. Remember, wardens cannot enter your fish house without your permission. Nothing is ever illegal in mine, but I tell them that I do not give up my Constitutional rights.