• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sting Operation on Lake of the Woods

I've been up to LOTW quite a few times in the summer and the winter, I think there is A LOT more 'law breaking' going on that a lot of people think. How do you explain seeing the same four guys in the cleaning shack cleaning a full 8 fish limit in the winter, for FOUR straight nights? Unless those guys are eating fish for breakfast lunch and dinner, then I'm guessing they are over their limits.

Or in the summer when the neighbors come back to their cabin at 2 PM with their limit, then head back out at 4 for the evening bite.

I wouldn't be surprised if 25% of the people(or more) that go up to LOW end up bringing back more fish than they are supposed to, I really wouldn't. There's not a whole lot the resorts can do about the guests either...

I don't want to make any assumptions about locals up there, but I'm guessing you'd find a lot of stocked freezers in Baudette and Warroad.

If there is one lake in the state that can handle that pressure/illegal activity it's LOTW, but it would be a shame to see that lake fall on hard times. The DNR surveys appear to be positive in the last couple years and lord knows I caught about 200 11-13" walleye earlier this winter, so we can hope!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kfk

• maxpower17

• DTro

• harvey lee

People really need to wait to find out all of the details of this "investigation", before they start making assumptions and accusations in regards to this issue.

So you consider poaching or breaking game and fish laws a "shortcoming!" Wow!

That and the fact that overharvest/double dipping is from a shared resource that does make it everone else's business.

I find it hard to believe that a resort or reputable guide would intentionally and or repeatedly violate the rules that can directly affect their livelihood. Could it happen? I suppose it does. I will be waiting to see or read about the official report on what happened before I jump to many conclusions.

People really need to wait to find out all of the details of this "investigation", before they start making assumptions and accusations in regards to this issue.
. Sad that so many believe many r guilty when they do not know all the facts, totally agree Wigwam

I’m trying to find anywhere in this post where anyone is making assumptions or accusing anyone specifically?   Haven’t seen it yet.  The story said that there was some involvement with resorts and or guides…..that is all we know.   I did read elsewhere about someone that was staying on the point during the bust and said most of the activity seemed to be centered around a couple of specific resorts.

Personally, I can totally understand a small number of minor infractions such as mislabeling, the patch of skin thing,  or even overlooking borderline measuring errors, but double dipping or encouraging guests to do so should be looked at more seriously.   Agree?

I am just guessing but wouldn't you think the resorts that advertise and post on the site might know something but are not sharing. I have heard two resorts names come up from an individual that was up there when it all went down and one of them may have posted on here earlier. I find it hard to believe that they had a lot of wardens at there resort but don't have any information to share. Hmmm

loose lips sink ships... lol I agree with DTRO I haven't heard/seen any individual seeking out or slandering any specific resort or even saying all resorts/guides are guilty. People need to breath and not take everything to heart!

There were some individuals at fault! They will pay the consequences. It is up to you as an individual if you want to continue to visit the individuals at fault. Nobody is perfect, everyone makes mistakes most will learn from it...

Lets stop the witch hunt.

The thread should stay. It was a large scale operation at a major fishery, of course it is a talking point. No one here is out of line, mud slinging or isolating specific peoples or businesses. We here are no not court of law and people will continue, without a doubt, up to those parts. I'm sure those involved, tied to or related want no exposer about this, it's egg in the face but tuff cookies, it's interesting to say the least.

Maybe it is all minor infractions and life will go but there had to be some teeth to this to carry on such a long investigation, undercover and send up the armada. Whoops.

And anyone saying they made a mistake and should not loose there buisness or trash there names are crazy. They choose to break the laws now its time to pay the piper. No differnet than the wall of shame the dnr puts up at the state fair.

40 conservation officers sounds pretty major! I don't believe the DNR would invest this amount of time and manpower in a case of minor infractions! This tread deserves to stay!

I’m trying to find anywhere in this post where anyone is making assumptions or accusing anyone specifically?   Haven’t seen it yet.  The story said that there was some involvement with resorts and or guides…..that is all we know.   I did read elsewhere about someone that was staying on the point during the bust and said most of the activity seemed to be centered around a couple of specific resorts.

Personally, I can totally understand a small number of minor infractions such as mislabeling, the patch of skin thing,  or even overlooking borderline measuring errors, but double dipping or encouraging guests to do so should be looked at more seriously.   Agree?

^^ Bingo. Perfectly stated.

40 conservation officers sounds pretty major! I don't believe the DNR would invest this amount of time and manpower in a case of minor infractions! This tread deserves to stay!

Not the first time the DNR has used this kind of effort in this area. About 10-12 years ago they had check point about 20-30 miles coming out of Baudett of 72. They were pulling pulling everyone of into a clearing and going thru everyones veichle. There were probably that many officers.

Lots of speculations going on.....lets just wait and hear what took place. Just sounds like the DNR doing their job.

I think this is a perfect forum to discuss this because most people on this board are sportsmen (non-gender specific) and this is a board about what’s happening in the LOW area. If this isn’t the right time or place what is? If the people and business are convicted of a crime they will be punished by the court system. I think the comments about what should happen are moot, the parties involved NEED to have their day in court first.

What I find interesting is that posters that either have some knowledge or are trying to appear that they have knowledge of the situation are claiming that these are minor mistakes and not rules violations. If that’s the case then give us some facts of the case… I looked up the statute and rules for fish packing and they seem pretty straight forward to me so I think it would be hard to make a mistake there.

I haven’t seen ANY accusations made on this forum as alleged by one business that posted but in our society it’s ok to have an open discussion of the facts that we have. All I’ve seen are the newspaper accounts and they are a little light on facts but that doesn’t prohibit me from drawing my own conclusions. From the Red Star, “Many of the cases appear to involve “double-tripping” where anglers catch fish, leave the lake, then return and catch more than their limit. “They’d take a limit of fish, come in, eat those fish or store them, then go back out and take more fish that day,’’ said Col. Ken Soring, Department of Natural Resources enforcement chief”, seems pretty clear to me.

The Star and Sickle also reported, “Others will be cited for violation of the protected slot. Walleyes 19½ through 28 inches must be released on Lake of the Woods.” and “While the investigation showed that many operations were doing the right thing and encouraging their guests to comply with regulations, some were violating the laws and encouraging others to do the same,’’ Soring said. “Those are the ones we’ll be charging.”If the parties involved were knowingly violating, encouraging others to violate, or just turning a blind eye to violations I hope they are charged. If businesses weren’t doing that then I hope they weren’t even involved in the investigation.

I'm really interested to hear more about any parties/resorts/guides that were "violating the laws and encouraging others to do the same".

No speculation, no finger-pointing. Just really intrigued to know if this is true. That's the sort of thing that could seriously damage, and/or permanently destroy a business.

How much longer will we have to wait to hear "the rest of the story"?

Does this really surprise anyone? I'm more shocked about the reaction to this than the story itself.

I do not condone any illegal activities but I am guessing if the wardens are looking for something they can find something illegal in every house or boat anytime they want, if they want to dig far enough. I am sure I am guilty as anyone else. I would not be surprised if most of these "illegal activities" are very minor with a few majors thrown in.

Does it really surprise you that it would take 40 wardens to patrol LOTW? I have always wondered how effective 1-3 wardens on Lake of The woods really is. I do not think the story will bring as much drama as some are hoping for. Yes I am sure there is a bad apple or two in the bag but I would guess the majority are minor.

I have very much respect for most every guide on the lake I have met and believe all of them try to obey the law as much as they can. I would guess the weekend guys on their own are far worse than any resort or guides. The laws are written to be able to find infractions if they are so desired. If anyone has spent anytime with wardens or looked at the actual law book you would know they are very detailed and hard to follow exactly. A lot more the the little summary book they hand out with your license....

I am guessing if the wardens are looking for something they can find something illegal in every house or boat anytime they want

I couldn't disagree with you more! I know there is nothing illegal in my ice house or boat.

Seems like the LOW people are making a lot of excuses for the "little" infractions. I wonder how much effect all the "little" infractions combined for the last three years have impacted the lake?? Just a little bit everyday adds up. And if they just stopped on some random day and found stuff, that tells me its going on everyday.

When you LOWers come on here and tell us that "its not that bad," or "wait to hear everything," or whatever that tells me that you, or someone you know is guilty of something. Do not sit and try and deflect blame off onto the DNR for enforcing the law. Do they mismanage some resources?? YEP, I am one of the biggest critics. If you broke the law, that's on you and you need to deal with it.

A lake that size needs extra enforcement. Don't know how many officers patrol or how often but more is better than less. The lake is getting more and more pressure every year and I think it will only increase with Mille Lacs guys driving a few extra hours to fish. Seems like there is a mentality among some that being that far north there is less to worry about when it comes to enforcement.

Bucksutherland,

Has anyone deflected the blame to the DNR? You must be reading something different than I am.

You know what Buck, I'm glad you aren't a LOW person.

I've read too many of your posts.

Here ya go KFK. Might want to polish up on them reading comprehension skills a little. The DNR was just nit picking on those poor people I guess.

I do not condone any illegal activities but I am guessing if the wardens are looking for something they can find something illegal in every house or boat anytime they want, if they want to dig far enough. I am sure I am guilty as anyone else. I would not be surprised if most of these "illegal activities" are very minor with a few majors thrown in.

Does it really surprise you that it would take 40 wardens to patrol LOTW? I have always wondered how effective 1-3 wardens on Lake of The woods really is. I do not think the story will bring as much drama as some are hoping for. Yes I am sure there is a bad apple or two in the bag but I would guess the majority are minor.

I have very much respect for most every guide on the lake I have met and believe all of them try to obey the law as much as they can. I would guess the weekend guys on their own are far worse than any resort or guides. The laws are written to be able to find infractions if they are so desired. If anyone has spent anytime with wardens or looked at the actual law book you would know they are very detailed and hard to follow exactly. A lot more the the little summary book they hand out with your license....

Easy Buckster. Don't lump us Lowpeople all together. I myself did mention we should just wait and see what charges are filed. Till then most are just assuming and some seem ready to lynch folks. I am with you on the "If you broke the law, thats on you and you need to deal with it".

Does that ladyofthewoods even live around here? Perhaps she's from a forest in your county !! On top of that she has'nt made a post since '07 !! Funny she pops up now with that mumbo jumbo admitting her own guilt, Yikes too funny !!

kfk is a good guy and comprehends things well, myself I don't see it or any other post as a deflection of blame at the dnr. I'm glad they're out there watching the terrorists, LOL and J/K. I'm certain on any given and/or "random" day the local warden can make his rounds and find some "little" infractions, some folks just can't grasp the ethics/law thing. This would be from a very large pool of anglers, both locals and tourists alike and then they can be ticketed and pay the price. Thats a pretty simple minded thought it seems.

The LOTW and the Rainy r. get saturated by large contingents of wardens fairly regularily. I do think they call it saturation patrols or saturation weekends and we get wardens from all over the state out there on the water and/or ice. This particular "sting' or whatever she ends up being sounds like it's a whole other kinda operation. Info/facts will come out soon enough as a matter of public record.

A few years back I was fishing with friends for pike just off of Twin Islands. Up cruises an enforcement officer on a beautiful new AC Bearcat. He was very friendly and pleasant and checked us for the typical stuff.

We were all good to go, and I was absolutely intrigued with his sled. Of course I sat on it, and looked under the hood, and asked all the usual questions about the ride and such. Then I asked how many folks he was able to check each day on this sled. I was shocked to hear him say he checked almost every house all they way around the south shore!

He started at 8:00 a.m. off of Lighthouse Gap and hit virtually every house all the way over to Springsteele and South Tip by sundown. I can't recall if at the time he was working with another officer on sled as well, but I'd wager there were likely 2-3 officers on snowmobiles out there, and I think if they were all moving fairly quickly they could cover that distance pretty well in a day. They may not be able to hit EVERY house, but I'd wager they could get most of them.

Given, they likely don't measure every fish every guy has got in his bucket, but they can see in a glance if all the fish look good. Doesn't take much time to see everyone produce a license and they're on their merry way. I suppose it really slows things down when they start to run into folks who are breaking the rules.

Sorry I should have clarified a little better. No I do not think the DNR was just picking on them. But if they are going to send 40 guys up there which I think is fine, they need to write some tickets for violations, and they very well should if and when they find violations. Sometimes when these stings happen they write tickets where they would normally give warnings(possibly). If you talk with a warden it can be very tough if you get into the smallest details of the law, especially in hunting cases (i know we are talking about fishing). Most laws are written like this so something sticks, not just fishing and hunting regs. I know many and most obey the law and there are always some who don't and they should be punished for it.

Fisky, we make numerous trips to LOTW each year, we check out this forum almost every day but do not post much as you stated. I just felt here there was some unfair judgement being passed. And felt I would express my opinion.

Some have said that the bulk of this investigation was focused more toward bear baiting/guiding. Yes, it's speculation, but why and how would they judge bear hunting/baiting infractions at this time of year?

Again, I really hope to hear some news on this case fairly soon. I'm not looking to see people get slammed with huge fines, but if there was blatant disregard for the regulations, and especially if anyone was encouraging the breaking of fish and game laws, those breaking the laws and those doing the encouraging should most definitely be made to pay.

The double dipping thing really does have to stop. I know this was really, really common just 10 years ago, but by now I would think most everyone would realize this is against the law, even if you eat your limit before going out again for another limit.