• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pelican Draining...

It was until others decided it would be better killed. Your in South Dakota for gods sakes, shouldn't my opinion matter more than yours? What if I went into your town and decided to kill a prime pheasant hunting habitat in hopes of attracting deer. That's just how I feel about this, but its too late.

Your opinion is based on socalled facts. So it is not worth the bandwidth it takes up on the internets.

Washington will not be affected by the draining. They are not even connected. Show me via aerial photos this so called 2 foot deep creek that connects pelican to washington.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RumRiverRat

• 20lbSloughShark

• GIANT1

• eyeguy 54

If (when I should say) pelican is drained, wouldn't that just make the supposed creek from washington lake longer, as opposed to lowering washington?

If (when I should say) pelican is drained, wouldn't that just make the supposed creek from washington lake longer, as opposed to lowering washington?

Apparently it is going to drain Washington by 2 feet or more.

With all this jibber jabber, I forgot when it's being drained. Was there a confirmation on the year?

So when is the pelican lake get together?

It's going on right now. Libralized fishing. Some are responsible, others are not.

Pulling out fish (live fish) and leaving them on the ice because they don't want those, what a joke!

People are wasting fish out there its sad! That is not a sportsman that is a person doing harm to our sport. Why catch em and leave em on the ice??? come on you so called sportsman! Very sad to see this lake go!!! But im sure its really making some people on this thread super happy. Even though they dont live by it, it still affects them the most (for some reason) for this great lake to be destroyed.

Not sure what is more pleasing to the eye. The pile of crappies being sorted through, or the drop kick of a sucker that didn't need to die.

Best part is that this guy is an outfitter on URL....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153863006225403

All have to say is, it [PoorWordUsage] me off! If you don't want the fish you are pulling out, put them back and don't leave a pile of dead fish on the ice.

What a piece of dump!

sorry gotta post! This is what's fundamentally wrong with our D.N.R. Let this talk go on. Never fished the lake, never will. But to let tens of thousands of fish go to waste is sick. Other states would love to have a viable source like that close to a metropolitan area. Here we say F it, and turn it into a duck lake. NEWS FLASH!!!! the ducks aren't coming, and the fish are here. Our D.N.R. needs an overhaul worst than the lake does!!!

isn't the DNR out there watching people and make sure they clean up their messes & take all the fish brought up?! whats the point of law if there is no one there to uphold it during a free for all such as this?! AInt no way you ever see me there, I hate our me me me society!

Stoney, there is no arguing with these people. In 20 years it will still be a stupid slough, except with hardly any fish. I think their mindset is set only on "I want ducks" and anything you say doesn't matter. All I know is I'm never donating to ducks unlimited anymore, and I support creating waterfowl habitat.

You have to be for ducks and against fish or for fish and against ducks.

sorry gotta post! This is what's fundamentally wrong with our D.N.R. Let this talk go on. Never fished the lake, never will. But to let tens of thousands of fish go to waste is sick. Other states would love to have a viable source like that close to a metropolitan area. Here we say F it, and turn it into a duck lake. NEWS FLASH!!!! the ducks aren't coming, and the fish are here. Our D.N.R. needs an overhaul worst than the lake does!!!

Your right F it shouldn't have let the liberalized fishing go on instead let the tens of thousands of fish wash up on shower dead this spring since there is no oxygen in the lake, that's a better use of our resources. Pelican is a 12 foot deep swamp that was bound to winter kill and guess what its doing it now. Keep on whining guys

To see all the year classes of crappies being pulled out now. Having the DNR net the fish for city lakes would not have hurt the lake one bit. That's from a little area out from the boat landing. "They took so many fish we can't catch any more" was the big cry. the DNR could have pulled 20,000 lbs of fish out every summer would not have hurt the lake. Maybe would have saved for a winterkill. I just hope the duck hunting really improves as the so call experts claim...

Slewshark

I am still waiting for your explanation of how Washington lake will be affected by the drawdown of Pelican.

You are a master of skirting questions. smile

What more explanation can I give? I'm no ecologist. You get your info from google, I get mine from things I've actually seen, and someone that lives on the lake. I'm hoping your right about washington. There is no way you can do something of this size, and not get unexpected results however.

Quote:
I'm no ecologist

What does ecology have to do with the drawdown of Pelican and the affects on Washington?

Quote:
You get your info from google

No, I got my info from the DNR.

Do you know what elevation means? Lets start there for tonights lesson.

Holy dump... the beauty of armchair biology at its best...... Wow.... crazy

The DNR doesn't have the first clue about Washington. I'm not even sure why I'm still posting. Arguing with draining supporters is like mud wrestling a pig. After a while I realized you're enjoying it because you won.

The DNR doesn't have the first clue about Washington. I'm not even sure why I'm still posting. Arguing with draining supporters is like mud wrestling a pig. After a while I realized you're enjoying it because you won.

Considering you do understand the concept of elevation any further discussion with you is pointless.

What more explanation can I give? I'm no ecologist. You get your info from google, I get mine from things I've actually seen, and someone that lives on the lake. I'm hoping your right about washington. There is no way you can do something of this size, and not get unexpected results however.

Side stepping questions is a talent of yours.

Do you understand the concept of elevation?

I'm still wondering when it's going to be drained. Kinda' hoping there will be enough time for the remaining fish to get really big, and make for 1 last winter hurrah. smile

I'm still wondering when it's going to be drained. Kinda' hoping there will be enough time for the remaining fish to get really big, and make for 1 last winter hurrah. smile

I am renting an excavator in June and I am going to dig the outlet myself.

I'm not even sure why I'm still posting.

Here are some of the reasons you have given for not draining Pelican.

1. They can create a new 4,000 acre slough somewhere else.

2. It is the third best pike lake in MN.

3. It is the best lake in Wright County, that is a fact.

4. You cannot afford to drive to other lakes, even though you live within 2 miles of several.

5. You will move away from Wright county if Pelican is drained.

6. Drawing down Pelican will also lower Washington, even though it is impossible for that to happen.

7. Unexpected results will happen.

You should have stopped posting before reason #1.

Even if they start lowering the lake this year, it will take a couple years to get the lake to the lowest level. With a nice winter or two while they are draining, the fish could survive and become huge in short order.

Why don't you rent a excavator and dig a big hole and make your own duck pond instead of coming on here and trying so hard to get a lake you don't even live by drained. You never answered my question why you want this lake drained so bad?