• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pelican Draining...

Is there a public access on Washington? I might have to start hunting and fishing on that lake.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RumRiverRat

• 20lbSloughShark

• GIANT1

• eyeguy 54

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Its all a private lake. I also know ppl that live on it and ive never heard it was connected to pelcan

Sloughshark,

The elevation of the lake has nothing to do with the depth of the lake.... You need to do a little more homework before posting your thoughts. LOLLLL.... the more you speak, the less informed you sound. Just sayin'.

And yes, I have had my boat on Washington Lake before. I agree,its much deeper than 12 ft as the DNR map indicates. But if you do just a tad more research you can find the actual elevation of lakes all over MN.

Using google earth as an example you can see that Washington is at least 6 feet higher than Pelican. The elevations are taken at water surface. Yes, google earth isn't the best way to go about this but it is quite accurate. Even if Washington were connected to Pelican the water level in Washington would not change. Water flows downhill, therefore Washington is already at its low level and isn't going anywhere.

Can we drop it now?

Washington Water Level-291 Meters

12922534535_40374f4bdd.jpg

Pelican Water Level-289 Meters

12922534545_7270cac4ca_z.jpg

Can we please lock/end this thread? The dishes are done.

+ 10

Just to play it safe, they better drain washington lake too.

Just to play it safe, they better drain washington lake too.

It is going to drain anyway according to Sloughshark.

Facts are not important anymore in this thread.

Drain Baby Drain.

I guess there are more butt hurt ppl then rumriverrat. I guess draining the lake is real important to him he must have got dumped at the landing so wants his horrible memories drained with the lake

A sure sign you have lost an argument is when you make posts like this.

Formulate a decent post and get back to me.

Rumriverrat I'm not arguing so that means I couldn't have lost? I just think you are pushing the draining a little to hard. Like you have a personal connection with this lake why you want it drained. I live by this lake and it offers great fishing so that means I want it to not be drained so I can take my kids out there for yrs to come. You on the other hand do not live close to this lake so why does draining or not draining effect you? Maybe if you enjoyed seeing your kids face light up as they are pulling pan fish after pan fish out of the water you wouldn't want it drained either. And fact is draining is a waste of money when in 5-10 years it will be filled back up and fish will return to it. They will return to the lake the same way fish return to any other lake that has a winter kill off. And I made the post to make fun of you not because I felt I lost the argument by any means. So maybe you should formulate a decent post back to me instead of one that says "well that's a sure sign you have lost the argument when you post something like that". To me that sounds like something someone would say when they have nothing better to say.

Pelican lake will continue to have good fishing despite the drawdown, just not every year. It will return to a boom bust fishery as it has been in the past. I would argue that the reason for the smaller panfish is largely because the lake is overdue for a good old fashioned winterkill. They likely will have to do periodic drawdowns in the future to allow for these periodic winterkill. Killing the fish (especially carp and bullheads) will help promote weed growth and return the water to its clear state (this will help both waterfowl and fish). Stocking perch and northern after the lake comes back would be a great idea. Try to find some common ground rather than arguing with fellow sportsmen.

Now I can agree with that Nate Larson arguing with a fellow sportsmen is lame we already have enough problems. I think this winter its getting its needed winter kill.

As are hundreds of other lakes around the state. Float up little fishies, so I can net you, and freeze thousands to freezer burn HA HA

Still waiting on the answer as to how Washington is connected to Pelican and how such a great fishery like Washington will be drained as well.

Pelican needs to be drained and closed to all human activity for at least 20 years, preferably 50 years.

The outlet that will be installed in the SE corner will prevent water levels ever getting to thw point they are now.

Drain Baby Drain

Still waiting on the answer as to how Washington is connected to Pelican and how such a great fishery like Washington will be drained as well.

ya me too !! did a lil research myself and I couldn't find where there connected confused

Here is what I know as a fact. A land owner on the lake is sure it is connected to pelican. I have personally seen a creek in the NE corner of the lake. There is also a creek that starts where pelican runs under 117. Is it really connected? I'm not sure. It does not matter, if there was any hope for pelican, it is now gone. Hopefully it won't take me another decade to find another close-to-home pike lake like it.

Is it really connected? I'm not sure. It does not matter

Just saying "no harm no foul" but isn't that contradicting what you've already stated earlier ??? confused

Here is what I know as a fact.

A fact you say? Kind of like Pelican being the best lake in the area?

It was until others decided it would be better killed. Your in South Dakota for gods sakes, shouldn't my opinion matter more than yours? What if I went into your town and decided to kill a prime pheasant hunting habitat in hopes of attracting deer. That's just how I feel about this, but its too late.

It was until others decided it would be better killed.

Mother nature took care of that for us not draining it. Keep talking me me me your hole your digging just keeps getting deeper

And I am still waiting for an explanation how Washington would be affected by the draining of Pelican, even if there is a waterway connecting it to Pelican.....

Funny how the DNR can keep any other lake from dying if they so choose. As far as Washington, if there is a 2' deep creek connecting them, Washington will now be 2' lower than normal. Again, this is info from someone who lives on Washington. He does not fish, he went to the meetings on the draining of pelican lake.

Will you listen to simple logic on this Sloughshark????

The lake elevation level of Washington as it stands today is 7 ft above the level of Pelican.

Draining Pelican lake will NOT affect Washington in ANY WAY! It cant!

Do I need to draw a picture of this so you can understand and pass along to your contact so he can quit panicking over nothing. I dont care if he went to 1000 meetings about all this. There is ZERO chance Washington can be affected by the Pelican Lake drawdown.

This topic has been somewhat of entertainment for me for the last few weeks! I cant help myself from checking in once and a while and watch everyone argue back and forth. I kind of lean towards letting mother nature take care of itself, but what do i know. Wonder if a few 8lb plus bass will show up floating around the shore come ice out? Pelican has been a fun lake to fish the last few years but like anything, nothing lasts forever!

Quote:
This topic has been somewhat of entertainment

this topic is better than any late night TV show for sure. The laughs are endless.

I love checking in too.

How was the bass fishing out there?

Was it as good as the pike fishing?

Wonder if a few 8lb plus bass will show up floating around the shore come ice out?

Funny you say that I was just thinking about that the other day and the small chance a state record could pop out of there, would it be recognized?

My attempt to show Sloughshark with pictures. smile

Here are 2 lakes in 2014. The elevation of the water is listed on the lakes. Notice that lake B is 7 feet lower than lake A.

1_zps9184f268.png

Now in 2025 after the drawdown has happened, Lake A is 960 ft. Lake B is now 945 ft.

2_zpsbd898138.png

For a little perspective on elevations if thats not being understood.

In 2014, here is a side view of Lake A and Lake B.... Hmmmm. Notice that Lake B is lower than Lake A?

Why has Lake A not drained down to the level of Lake B?

3_zpsd03393b7.png

And in 2025, Lake A is still at the same level as it was in 2014, and Lake B is lower(and shallower). Notice the happy duck in 2025 on Lake B? And that happy fish in Lake A in 2025? Thats what will happen.

4_zps90202f50.png