• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

CYRUS ROAD

Roger bostic bay

Planning to head up next weekend. Not sure if we should bring the gator to pull the wheelhouse out, or if we should look into having one of the guys at Cyrus pull it out for us. Roger, do you guys pull houses out for people for a charge? Any prediction on when trucks will be allowed out through the resort? I see it's not supposed to get above zero for about the next week. Hope the snow doesn't hurt the ice!!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roger bostic bay

• hookie

• ParaPro

• slammer

Roger what do you think about my wheel house? It weighs 4000 lbs.. I have a ski on the front to help distribute the weight? If you tell me it's a go I will be there saturday morning.

Well the snow made a huge mess four wheelers are having a little trouble in the snow so i recommend snow cats there won't be ant wheel houses going through cyrus this weekend lots of slush and snow on the ice and we can't get anything big enough out there yet to plow with so we wait now to see if true snow soaks up the water or if the wind blows the snow off just a little bump in the road but it is early so we stay positive more later

Hi everybody the cold weather is helping the slush freeze up so getting around is better 9 good inches on the lake so were getting there no heavy vehicles yet but some smaller wheel house are going out being pulled by 4 wheelers have fun and be safe

Hi everybody the cold weather is helping the slush freeze up so getting around is better 9 good inches on the lake so were getting there no heavy vehicles yet but some smaller wheel house are going out being pulled by 4 wheelers have fun and be safe

Is my 8x16 Ice Castle a small wheel house? LOL

I would say its too big but its your call. A small house to me would be a 6 1/2 x 12 or smaller

I agree, it was an attempt at humor.... Getting a bit anxious to get out.

dec 8th report made another inch in the bay the lake at least where i have houses hasn't changed 9 inchs yet so i will keep checking and post more later

Talked to a guy that fished cyrus this past weekend. He reported 10-13" of ice everywhere he fished. Roger, can you confirm? Said he had no trouble getting around on a wheeler with chains. Caught a limit and good fishing. We will be there early Friday morning and would like to bring the 8 x 16 wheelhoue. Think the road will in shape by then, to be able to pull it with by a side by side? Thanks in advance for the info.

I think he need to recalibrate his tape measure. No one that I know is reporting that much ice yet.

we HAVE 11 inches of ice and some slush in spots I'm not guaranteeing wheel house by the weekend would like to see 13 14 inches first but its only monday so we will post on thurs about that thanks everyone its still early so were not gonna rush anything

Wow I must be to accustomed to fishing Mille Lacs, wheel houses are being pulled out by wheelers long before 14"!

I was up there this past weekend and stayed out of morris point my buddy pulled his 8 x 16 yetti out with his wheeler with chains. But if you are using portables snowmobiles are the best option but if you have chains for your atvs bring them.

When you say " I'm not guaranteeing wheel house by the weekend" do you mean there is a chance you will be letting out trucks and wheel houses or ATV's pulling houses? We are all anxiously waiting patiently for you to give us the go ahead and my Yetti looks way better on the lake than it does in my driveway!

Thanks for the reports and see you soon!

Guys - we're all antsy to get our rigs out there. Remember, today is December 10th. Usually we're lucky to be out with ATV's and portables at this time. Just be patient - it's a very slippery slope for these resorts to announce ice traffic. As soon as somebody says "we're allowing wheel houses" everyone assumes all resorts are allowing houses out and guys start pulling their 20' houses across the state.

My house is sitting on shore by Cyrus and trust me, I want to get it out as much as everyone else. Right now it's not the greatest travel out there. We fished on Sunday and you could get around in an ATV/SxS with portable but I'm glad I wasn't towing a wheel house. Snow is +8" in some places and starting to crust up.

It will be here shortly. The forecast is looking good and patience is a virtue.

The problem the resorts are dealing with is they need to wait until there is ice for the heaviest vehicle before they open the road. Ice fishing is so popular now and there are so guys that have wheel houses. As soon as they say go people are coming with their Super Duty and a 8x20 wheel house. I am not saying there is anything wrong with that, but it takes more ice to hold them. Where there might be enough ice for a 1/2 ton pickup, there is not for a 1 ton diesel. All in all, pickups are getting heavier. The other issue I have seen when coming in off the lake is the long line of vehicles going across 4 mile bay. People driving about 40' apart strung out from shore to pine island. While there is enough ice for 1 pickup, there is not enough for all those vehicles bumper to bumper.

The bottom line for them, is they don't want someone falling through on their road and they can't be out there policing everyone on where or how they are driving. So it is just easier to wait until there is enough ice for people to do what they want.

Last year we were there the first day they allowed vehicle traffic and they limited to half ton trucks or less. They may do something like that for this weekend. Hopefully anyway. Heading up Friday morning. If nothing else, Wheelhouses pulled by side by sides would work for us too. Just need to know if we need to bring it or not!

As said before, the resorts will not be making predictions. It could end up being extremely bad pr if they are wrong.

Do whatever you want at your own risk. They'll let us all know the minute it happens. No sooner.

I'll be up next Wednesday and was wondering what the ice is looking like for vehicle traffic. I have an F150 and would love to drive out but if people don't think that's doable I'll have to round up a wheeler or sled. What do you think Roger? I suppose it's probably day by day thing.

Dec 14th report the bay is ready for traffic BUT the lake is not yet its getting real close to turn you guys and gals loose hopefully by next weekend. When we do open the road the wheel houses will need to stay where we have the spots plowed for you if you venture off through the snow and go where you want your gonna find trouble so hopefully everyone stays where the wheel house rows are made thanks for your patience more later.

Dec 20th report the road is still closed to anything larger than a mid size no 1/2 ton pickups we are pulling wheel houses out and letting the fisherman follow us in their MIDSIZE vechicals the road was getting close then this morning we had a crack show up 4 inches wide so that should heal pretty fast . Then we will see what it looks like on the 26th fishing is great from 24 to 28 ft with 15 inches of ice on the road now so were getting real close thanks for your cooperation i will post again as soon as our road opens be safe fisherman.

I went out of Morris Point on Thursday and measured 17.5 inches of ice where I set up in 25 feet of water. We marked a lot of fish but the vast majority were 10-11 inch saugers. They were allowing mid size rigs and let me go out in my K-5 blazer but I wasn't pulling a house or anything.

I can appreciate the concern for safety but according to the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers data on ice 18" can support a 20 ton moving load. Well, what do they know anyways? It's an interesting read to say the least. One of the more interesting facts is how 9" of ice can support a 3.5 ton moving load, when you get 10" of ice it can support an 8 ton moving load. Talk about exponential strength. You could literally lay tracks and drive a train across 12". This of course all assumes we are talking about clear ice supported by water.

I can appreciate the concern for safety but according to the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers data on ice 18" can support a 20 ton moving load. Well, what do they know anyways? It's an interesting read to say the least. One of the more interesting facts is how 9" of ice can support a 3.5 ton moving load, when you get 10" of ice it can support an 8 ton moving load. Talk about exponential strength. You could literally lay tracks and drive a train across 12". This of course all assumes we are talking about clear ice supported by water.

Uh, no thank you. Moving loads is one thing, especially if you are only crossing the path once. I can cross open water with my snowmobile too if I'm moving fast enough. Trouble is, once the road opens it will be used by hundreds of vehicles pulling wheelhouses, each one compounding stress to the ice sheet. And I'm guessing that I'm like most everyone else in that I like to set up camp with my wheelhouse and eventually I'm no longer a moving load. Your article mentions that this data is unreliable for stationary loads. Take your train across 12" somewhere else. I'll trust the guys whose livelihood is at stake here.