• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

gooty's species thread 2000+13

gooty

Underdog to win. Went straight to the GWE after fishing this morning. Bought some carp crack, test cast a spey rod(humbling), and chatted with Brian O'Keefe. Cool, yes. Worthy of 12 bucks??? Eh. Unless of course, I win that Dave norling bamboo rod

$12 ain't horrible... I've paid more for a lot less before... Been to a twins game in the past couple years? ha!

Good luck, Gooty, we'll see about the underdog thing! Itchmesir is right about the Twins and the $12, almost any MN sports team sucks.

The GWE is unique, there is really nothing else like it anywhere around here. A great opportunity to meet people and learn about new ways to use fly rod. This is a rare chance to actually see and try out a lot of fly tying and fishing products in person, no online guessing.

I enjoy all the free information, insight, and wisdom.

My $0.02.

Yeah speaking with the DNR booth alone I gained well over my $12 worth of info I was looking for wink

And it's gooty in the lead!

GWE was worth it. Picking JPL's brain was worth it enough. Also, I think I recouped the cost of admition with savings at the fly angler.

Way to get on the board!

(though... trouts are the easy ones... wink )

BTW, I really like the color of that brownie. Keep it up.

Hopefully spring shows up one of these months.

• 1 month later...

Número 3: Black Crappie full-18702-32673-image.jpg

Número 4: Bluegill full-18702-32674-image.jpg

Giant

Número 5: Warmouth? Need help here full-18702-32675-image.jpg

Número 6: Nordern Pake full-18702-32676-image.jpg

Número 7: Punkinseed full-18702-32677-image.jpg

Sweet additions Gooty !!!! I don't think #5 is a warmouth, we need Schollmeier to verify it. You found warm water species, very cool.

It's a shot in the dark, in all reality I think it's a bluegill/seed hybrid? It's mouth was protrudant and large like a warmouth but I don't know for sure

#5 definitely isn't a Warmouth. Goofy lookin' bugger though. Where (generally) were you fishing?

OK - definately not even a Warmouth hybrid then. You need to fish farther south or farther east for that.

#5 is definitely a hybrid - hybrid sunfish are tough but best guess is Bluegill X Pumpkinseed.

#7 is definitely a pumpkinseed X green - see mouth and anal fin

Nice work...

I was gonna say 5 looked kinda green/seed hybrid... a bit rusty on the panfish IDs though.

It is kinda sweet to see some warm water species on the board today... something to help distract from may snow.

#5 could be a Green X Seed. Definately a "something" X Seed. Doesn't have the orange fringe on the anal fin typical of a a Green X Seed but even Green X Seeds can vary a fair bit.

Agreed that it is nice to see Warm Water fish (or fish at all) with 12" of snow forecast for tomorrow and ice still on most of our waters here.

Nice catches!

For some reason I can't edit my post with the pics in it. Could mod please remove number 5? Also, looks like we might need some thoughts on number 7 as well

If you want solid second opinions on #7 post it in roughfish(dot)com. Some fantastic sunfish hybrid ID people there, or the NANFA site.

I think you can just post your next species with the corrected total number.