• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Dylan33's Species Thread 2013

Dylan33

Well...it is March, and I haven't had time to get out yet. I figure if I start my thread it'll ge me motivated and keep me thinking of this.

I'll still probably only get a handful of different species, but what the heck...it'll be fun.

My thoughts exactly, I have a lot to learn but I think this will be a fun way to target some species I probably never would before!

Glad to see ya toss your hat in the ring here.

I know you hit up monti a bunch... there are a lot of species in the river... Had a few schooling species swim within 10 feet of me a few weeks ago as I was just messin around with my 9wt.

smile

Gooood luck!

Whether it's 5 species or 20 species... there's one thing for certain that is going to come out of this... less cash on hand due to your new addiction to fly fishing... jk... but in all seriousness... I'm sure by the end of it you may find yourself leaving your conventional gear by the wayside...

• 2 months later...

So, it's almost June, and I was able to get out for the first time on Saturday. My normal bass opener plans were shot, because my wife got sick---but luckily i was able to swing by the dam on the way home from the pharmacy and throw a couple of fly's around for 15-20 minutes...got this one on my first cast of the year! Sorry for not having the logo, but I wasn't planning on getting out and actually catching anything...

I don't have the fancy gear, but that is an ANTIQUE Eagle Claw rod that my Grandpa left me after he passed away last year. I'm not sure, but i'd bet it was from the 70's.

This was the first time I used it, and the first catch on it...pretty memorable!!!

Nice! always fun to catch that first fish on a 'new' rod. Smallies are a blast any way you slice it, I've not been able to hook into any of them yet myself this year.

This week looks pretty fishy... if ya can get out when it's not thunderin anyway smile

Bet that smallie put up a great fight on that glass. Glass rods are pretty sweet deal. no need to upgrade to modern day plastic rods. can ya give me a model on the rod? i may be able to shed more light on it.

Bet that smallie put up a great fight on that glass. Glass rods are pretty sweet deal. no need to upgrade to modern day plastic rods. can ya give me a model on the rod? i may be able to shed more light on it.

i will look at the rod tonight and see if I can find a model # or something. Thanks

I couldn't find a model number. The only markings at all are in the pics below.

full-33312-33589-rod1.jpg

full-33312-33590-rod2.jpg

full-33312-33591-rod3.jpg

Seems like it was a late 60s early 70s rod. Denco model was made from the 50s into the 70s. Low end model of their line. Only comes with 5 guides.. It's likely that the blank is similar to the popular W&M "Sweetheart". As W&M were known for using the same blank for most of their rods. Only difference being the quality of components and number of guides on the rod itself. Earlier versions of the Dencos were a brown blank with brown reel seat and brown wraps. then came the green seat and green wraps. then on to W&Ms butt ugly yellow blanks.

Being fiberglass though it'll live on for generations and will definitely be stronger than any graphite rod you pick up today. Glass rods are built like a brick shythouse.. Only way you'll break that thing is if you jump up and down on it.

Wow. Thank you so much for giving me some history on this rod. It means a lot and I really appreciate your insight. I look forward to catching and posting many more fish using this rod this summer....starting on my weekend at the cabin in mid-June. Hopefully I'll have another 3-4 species on the list soon.

Thanks again!

No problemo! I've recently picked up a soft spot for vintage rods/reels. So any time I can do some research to find out more information on them I'm willing to help another out to expand my knowledge. That way I'm better informed when I come across them. Like the $20 Herter's combo I picked up a couple months back. Herter's RFSC6 6' 1 3/4oz 5wt fly rod. Was made by St Croix rods for Herter's. Nearly mint condition with the reel it was probably sold with. One of the best $20 purchases I've ever made. And I've made a lot of $20 purchases in my lifetime. heh.

Whether it's 5 species or 20 species... there's one thing for certain that is going to come out of this... less cash on hand due to your new addiction to fly fishing... jk... but in all seriousness... I'm sure by the end of it you may find yourself leaving your conventional gear by the wayside...

Isn't that the truth!!! I haven't bought any gear or lures for my normal bass setups, but dump money every week in to flies, leaders, etc.

One day i'll get back into tying my own flies again....

My name is Dylan, and I am addicted to fly fishing