• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pool 2 Advice and and Education

I recenly purchased a 34 foot boat that will be docked at Hidden Harbor on Pool 2. I have boated on lakes for 35 years but am new to the river. I am aware of the dangers of the wing dams and the channel rules.

My question is this...I know it is all catch and release but will I be able to access decetn walleye water using this boat. I understand I will not be going into backwaters...just wondering if there are spots adjacent tot he channel that I can access.

Hope this makes sense.

I can't speak about downriver from Lilydale, but the stretch from the confluence of the Minnesota up to the dam is not very wide. In the early spring it is drift fishing in a passle of boats and later anchored up by the dam. Many drift by the dam as well.The water is deep enough to do it, but I don't think people would be very happy if you drifted through with a craft that large. In summer it is trolling cranks, which would probably work ok. No offense, just my 2 cents. Hope that helps.

Thanks...Agreed, I would not consider drifting a boat that big through other guys/gals.

I was hoping it would be possible to perhaps slip in between a couple wing dams, or perhaps anchor just out of the channel and toss jigs into a wing dam.

Any thoughts on that idea.

Thanks...Agreed, I would not consider drifting a boat that big through other guys/gals.

I was hoping it would be possible to perhaps slip in between a couple wing dams, or perhaps anchor just out of the channel and toss jigs into a wing dam.

Any thoughts on that idea.

Can't speak to that, as there are no wing dams in the stretch of the river I fish. I would imagine that someone will chime in who is familiar with the stretch of river below the Lilydale ramp. There is a lot of good fishing there. I just never fish it.

Thanks, I hope I get some thoughts from ssome of the folks out there who know. Right now, I just do not want to buy and maintain another boat.

Not sure why you couldnt anchor that big boat up on a dam and cast to it. There are plenty of fish right on that dam coming out of hidden harbor as well as every other dam on the river. Be hard to find one that doesnt hold a few walleyes.

Thanks...appreciate the help. I look forward to the new adventure.

There are restrictions on how close a watercraft can approach a lock and dam. It is quite a ways at the Ford dam,(150 yards at least.) The Ramsey county sheriff patrols regularly and the fine is substantial. You could anchor by the lock in the slack water, and people do. The fishing is usually better at the current seams.

Re-reading www 's post. I mistakenly thought he meant lock and dams, not wing dams.

Most of the wing dams are down river from St. Paul, I have Guided some of that area. You need to to be very careful near wing dams. Do you know how identify what to look for as to wing dams? It maybe best to go with someone that has been down there and show you what to look for and maybe give a few pointers on river boating. Otherwise it can be a costly trip to go exploring.

I will second what Jim said about the wingdams. With the lack of rain last summer and below average snowfall this winter, some of the wingdams will be just under the water surface if not exposed. Learn to read the water and you see this dams from a distance once you get the hang of it.

Also, you should stay in the channel until you get to know the river. There are a few shallow rock flats that run out to the main channel. If you motor over these you could be in trouble as it's only a couple feet deep. One of the rather large ones is by the northwest corner of Pike Island.

I would suggest putting a request in the trip swap forum to go out with someone that has experience on this pool. They can help show you some of the problem areas. Once it opens up I would be happy to take you out one day and give you a few tips. Just PM me once the ramps are opened up.

Thanks, although I have been on the river...years ago...this is great advice. I have a guy who has been on the river for 30 plus years who is gong to take me out the first couple times. No sense to put myslef or anyone else in a bad spot.

I have a book you might like. It is (Mississippi river guide) The DNR has them for free. Got mine at the science mesum the dnr has a shop in the front entry or you could try the building off (500 Lafayette) the books are separated by pool number which is the areas between the locks. I can't seem to find the one for pool 2 but I have the one in my hand for pool 3.

Great book it has a lot of boating info also

Randy

Thanks, I actually have the book and I ordered the entire set of river charts for the river from the Corps. Not a cure all, but it will be a good place to start.

I will have to look at the trip swap forum...great idea.

Talked to my boat guy at the Marina...sounds like April 15 is a target date to have me on the water.

Kind of excited for the change but a bit nervous as well. I am going to line up an experienced person to take me out on that weekend.

Any advice...greatly appreciated. After the maiden voyage I see a nice EJ and cigar!!!

growing up in st. paul park im familiar with the stretch of river from the old swing bridge south to the hastings dam and I'm sure you'll be able to find fish from where you can safely navigate your boat in the main channel. As far as the river goes - when the waters high look out for debris like trees, stay away from barges, stay away from the wingdams especially when you can see them making a wake, and as long as you stay betwen the buoys you'll be fine.

Talked to my boat guy at the Marina...sounds like April 15 is a target date to have me on the water.

Kind of excited for the change but a bit nervous as well. I am going to line up an experienced person to take me out on that weekend.

Any advice...greatly appreciated. After the maiden voyage I see a nice EJ and cigar!!!

Good time to tour the river as there should be plenty of water at tthat time. Maybe even flood conditions with the way this spring is going so far. Tough time of year for finding walleyes as many seem to be moving from their spawning areas back to their summer time spots. Still any time to get out on the water is a good time.

growing up in st. paul park im familiar with the stretch of river from the old swing bridge south to the hastings dam and I'm sure you'll be able to find fish from where you can safely navigate your boat in the main channel. As far as the river goes - when the waters high look out for debris like trees, stay away from barges, stay away from the wingdams especially when you can see them making a wake, and as long as you stay betwen the buoys you'll be fine.

Thanks, the St. Paul Park area seems to have pretty nice peoeple. I have really only hit Vinnies but shoudl be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to hijack this conversation, but I'm considering getting my boat out of the garage this summer and keeping it at Hidden Harbor since the price is right. I haven't fished either river much, so I'm wondering if pool 2 is a bad choice. Should I instead spend a little extra money and get to pool 3 or the St.Croix?

In general, is the fishing on pool 2, mainly walleye/sauger, as good as other options or would it be a sacrifice?

• 2 weeks later...

Well...Mother Nature kicked me in the rear but what can you do? We decided to delay the launch of the boat until April 19th. Only problem is my buddy who was going to guide me through the process of taking the boat out on the river is out of state that weekend.

On a side note, went up to our deer camp last weekend with one of my boys and a few other buddies. We are NW of Grand Rapids about 20 miles. Got up there and the snow off the trails was still thigh high. We shoveled off our shack and our sheds on Friday and on Saturday we got 8 inches of snow. Put 130 miles on the sleds???

If anyone is experienced and is interested in helping a rookie...contact me.

Hope this weather breaks so we can hit the river. Look forward to meeting some of the folks who are on the forum when we are on the river.

MinnesotaMuskie-

This is my second year hitting the river and although it is very intimidating at times just some common sense and navigation aids should keep you safe

Just remember the "red on the right going upstream" for channel buoys and watch for floating debris at all times. If it makes you more comfortable just idle around a stretch of river to get to know it before opening up the throttle.

A good gps goes a long ways also...the humminbird is just awesome for the river once I adjust the water and set shallow areas to show red on the map. Helps a ton just make sure to not drive by a gps cause they dont show floating logs! The navionics smartphone app also has a great river map and basically is a rough gps.

Im no expert and would barely considered myself experience but havent wrecked anything yet. I would be willing to show ya the ropes if you cant find someone more qualified wink Just shoot me an email.

Thanks...looking forward to the river. Where do you boat out of. I am looking a a Humminbird 797 c2 Side Imaging Combo a buddy of mine is taking off his boat.

Any thoughts...only thing is I want to make sure the unit will interface with a second unit on the Flybridge.

I think you would be happy with that unit...but would go for a bigger size if you can affoard it. I have a 900 on the dash and coudnt imagine having a smaller screen like my 700 upfront. Just makes a big difference when looking at SI and the GPS map at the same time. What kind of unit is your second unit?

Do not have one yet...trying to save a few bucks...I looked at Reeds and two new ones were in the $2,700 range.

Well Mother Nature delayed my launch again this weekend...well hope for Saturday the 27th.

Maybe I will just drive down and do some clean up. Getting cabin fever.

• 2 weeks later...

OK...now for real, I think we are on for Friday May 3. May not go on the river unless I can find an experienced pilot. Even floating in the harbor will be a break:)

• 9 years later...