• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye Inn - Dad in Hospital

Walleye Inn Son

This is a praise indeed. After such a horrific accident he's going to be okay. Look forward to the day when he's posting fishing reports again!

Thanks again for the regular updates. It's been really encouraging to hear of his progress and recovery.

Take care and God Bless.

Sam

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Walleye Inn Son

• CANOPY SAM

• Hoey

• Boar

Travis I was thinking yesterday that an update on your Dad was coming soon. Our prayer continue for you, your Dad, your family, and the health care professionals tending to your Dad. Thanks for the update. This has been quite a journey for you all.

• 3 weeks later...

Dad got home a week ago today. He has been adjusting to being home and my mom has been with him this week. I am heading home to hang out with him all next week. He still goes to fargo for therapy monday through wednesday. His balance is still off and his eyesite is getting better buts sees the eye dr next Wednesday so that should help even more.

He saw this thread the other day and said I better update it again to let people know he is home. I don't think we will make it out opener but we will blame it on ice and we fogged the augers already. The docs say he shouldnt be in a boat and needs to keep is brain still but we will see when it warms up and is calm out.

good luck to everyone heading out fishing this weekend.

Hello Travis..I dont know your dad or anybody on this forum. I get on here about the first of December every year and watch the reports as we make a trip up usually at the end of January. Ive conversed with Terry on here a time or two and enjoyed it. I read nearly every post on this thread and Im glad to see that so many people have supported you and your dad. My prayers are sent your way now. I just happened to get on tonight and check the ice reports since its quite an odd year and saw this. Good luck my friend and know that your family has support and prayers from Iowa!

• 1 month later...

Well finally got dad in a boat! My buddy and his son had their boat out fishing for bass and called us up and picked us up at the dock. Dad caught a few and had a big one that got off.

He's gaining strength and can walk without a walker or cane if someone is next to him and he focuses alot. His eyesite is still messed up but slowly improving. its been about 4 months since his accident of falling through the roof and he has come along ways. Hoping to get his boat out one of these weekends if its nice.

My moms bank is planning a benefit for my dad sometime. Not sure on any details at all right now but when I do I will post.

Hope you guys are hammering the fish...full-45226-34110-2013060895135019.jpg

That is just totally awesome. I know its been a long journey for your dad and your family. Hope everything continues to improve....by the way I do think his fish is just a "tad" longer than yours.... laugh

A day in the boat will certainly speed up his recovery. Glad things are progressing.

full-45226-34247-resizedimage_1371470785

We pulled dad's boat out and started it with the muffs in the yard yesterday. He was pretty happy to hear the 135 fire up! Hoping to find a quiet lake next weekend to go out for an hour or so.

He has a big meeting with all his doctors and therapists this wednesday so wish him luck! I'm taking next week off to spend with him as my moms month off she took from work is already ending. His biggest problem he still talks about his his vision.

he wanted to make sure the walker and his cane were NOT in this picture! I can tell a difference in the last few weeks as he is walking better.

Travis,

I was at Arnesen's over the weekend and a boat similar to your Dad's was there. I kept looking to see if it was you guys. The guys with this boat must have been wondering why I was looking at them so curiously, going out of the way to getting a closer look.

Thanks for taking a peek if it was us. No such luck and not sure if we will make it up this summer. If we do ill make sure to post on here before we go. I took next week off to be at home with dad and take him to therapy so we are going to try to get out a time or 2 around home.

Just curious...how was fishin? oh and I'm sure if you approached the other boat goers with beverages all would be well.

dad had a big meeting tomorrow with dr's and therapists to get an update on how the think hes' doing

Fishing was slow, but caught fish everywhere we went and ended up with our take-home limit. We got caught out near Stoney Point on Saturday when the winds picked up to 25mph sustained and 35mph gust. It was a tough, wet and cold, nearly two hour ride back to the resort.

Please let your Dad know I was looking for him.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoey I told my dad you were peeking around at other people looking for him and he just laughed. Anyways I took last week off work to go hang with dad (and give mom a break who took a month off work to be with him). So we went to therapy and he did well with walking on a treadmill for 15 mins and going 1.5mph without stopping. He does better if he just walks with nothing because when he uses a cane or walker he relies on it too much.

He saw the eye dr and his eyes didn't improve much over the last 3 weeks so hopefully the next 3 weeks are better...now to the good stuff....

We finally got Dad out in HIS boat, 1890 warrior w a 135mariner. I backed it in a local small lake that wouldn't get windy and fired it up and of course when he got in he had to go to the drivers seat and good luck moving him from there! That was why we took a couple of my cousins alone instead of bringing mom along...less rules that way. He did well driving the boat around the lake with me close to the controls. Then we drifted a few shorelines and he caught a tiny perch and just at the end of a drift he fired the big motor up and put in gear and that change in speed triggered a nice 21inch walleye to hammer his lindy rig with a worm and the fight was on!!! It dove about 4 times once it got near the boat but he fought the fish and we got it and it was a great fish and we had to get some pics!

Sounds like my moms bank (state bank of Hawley)and her sisters are planning a benefit sept 14th around Hawley. Had some bad luck and my dads insurance ran out june 1st but can pay full and get cobra...worse was my mom was under my dads and she has bad knees and cant find insurance...if any of you sell insurance or know someone I'd love to hear b/c she has to pay a large amount now.

Here's the pic of dad and his fish..notice he is in the drivers seat...to which he told all his therapists..noooo of course I wasn't driving. full-45226-34750-1000774_101033107346781

Good for him! Glad to see he's back in the driver's seat! Ha ha ha!!! laugh

If I might suggest, I've had some interesting discussions with a few folks who sell insurance in the general discussions thread. There are people here who might be able to help you, and your folks.

It might help if you could put together a brief synopsis of his story, and the financial situation, and post it in a couple of the other, more prominent, threads on FM. If you can't directly connect with an agent, there's a good chance that someone on FM can at least help you find someone who could help.

Best of luck to you and your family, and praise be to the good Lord for your Father's progress!

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone..been awhile since an update. Dad is still getting better. We have been out fishing a couple times around Detroit lakes. Probably wont make it up to the big pond in a boat but for sure in the fishhouse.

Last night the Spotlite bar in Hawley donated proceeds from Karaoke to our family and it was a good time! My dad was there for a few hours.

Next Saturday is a large benefit for my dad. Should be a great time.

Hope fishing has been good for everyone and appreciate all your comments on here.

Dad's eyes have gotten better. he still needs to rebuild his strength and still attends physical and occupational therapy as well as he is going to MSUM in Moorhead to get help with his speech.

Travis - Thank you for the update and the info for donations. A few bucks have been sent your Dad's way. Thanks again, Hoey