• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye Inn - Dad in Hospital

Walleye Inn Son

Travis, I don't know you and will probably never meet you. I'm betting Walleye Inn and family are on prayer chains across the country.

I think your dad is making great progress! I've had 5 concussions and the last one cost me 3 days of my life that I don't remember. Took me months before I could get up a flight of stairs without having to rest on the way and I was in my 20's. Mine was but a light bump compared to you dad. Brains are slow healers, but his is healing and we celebrate that! Be well as you support one another.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Walleye Inn Son

• CANOPY SAM

• Hoey

• Boar

I'll watch your posts in case things change, as I mentioned I will be there the 9th 10th and 11th.

I was up at Zippel over the weekend and drove by the Walleye Inn houses just off the road. Youll need a little plowing but not bad. Looking like more snow up there today and tomorrow. There was a sign on the door of the resort saying wheel houses off by the 10th. Pretty sure you have skids but you might wanna call up there if you wont be there for a couple weeks. Im pulling stuff off next weekend, hopefully after I catch my limit of fish!

Hope your dad continues to progress in a positive direction!!!

Thanks for the info bdubs. I'll give a call up this week and see if I can work something out. If they move dad to the cities this week/weekend i'd like to be with him. Was hoping to get up there to take houses off myself but I know we could get nick and deanna's crew to help us out too if need be. The Walleye Inn is a skid but the Inn 2 is a wheelhouse.The last 5 or 6yrs we usually have pulled it before march 15th.

Dad did a bit better last night as my mom and uncle sat with him and he squeezed hand, did thumbs up, peace sign, hi five, and shook finger at mom when she was nagging him so hes still in there somewhere just need him to wake up more. Thanks for everything and I hate to ask but if maybe one of you guys had a plow on your truck and just turned in by the houses it may let me get to them myself. But I know it will probably just drift in again and we can handle it when we get there. My dad always just goes fast...then we got stuck..so we bought chains. best of luck to you all and thanks again.

Looks like I might make a quick trip up this Saturday morning to pull the houses in. I'll be in a Blue F150 4door. If you drive by ad see me (and have a minute) it would be nice to thank you guys in person for your thoughts and prayers. I'll try to add a few pics I found of my dad fishing and our Walleye INN.

Dad rested a lot today I was told so hope he gains more strength to listen to more commands in the near future.

There is the possibility they may move him to the cities for long term care within the next week. I'm ready for him to wake up as tomorrow is 3 weeks since the accident but i know he will when he's ready.

"In there somewhere"? Travis, if I might be a little bold, it sounds to me like he's responding really well, and pretty much hearing everything people are saying. He may not be completely awake, but he sounds really aware, and that's a great thing!!!!

Thanks again for the updates. I continue to pray for your Dad everyday.

My moms caring bridge update from this morning.

Got up here a little late this morning.....I got to sleep in my own bed last night. Physical therapy was in and had Terry sit on the side of the bed(they held him) but it was good to see him like that!! Then they put him in a special chair so he can sit alone(strapped in) and he woke up for us. Peggy came and got us so we could see his big brown eyes. We forget he can't see without his glasses so we put them on him and he seemed to focus better. He took them off and gave them to me. I asked him to put them back on and he reached for the glasses and tried to put them on. I took a fishing picture of Michael off the wall and showed Terry and he studied that for awhile. I got tired of holding the picture so I told Terry to hold it himself and he reached and took the picture in his hand. We got a big cheer from the nurse in the hallway. BIG MOVE!!!!!! He studied it again for a bit and he gave it back to me when he was done. Then Chris (Terry's brother in-law) told Terry to give him his glasses and Terry took them off and handed them to Chris!!! Only was awake a short time but was very productive!!! Remember that saying "It's the little things"...so TRUE!!! All your prayers are helping so much and I sound like a broken record but please keep them coming.....you all are helping Terry heal and I need to give you all a BIG HUG for that!!!!

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/terrydoeden

Just called Deanna and she has nick out clearing a path to the Inn's so I can pull them tomorrow (saturday morning). A quick call from my grandpa this morning and he told me he went into my dads room and told him good morning and thats all he said and my dad gave him a thumbs up! I have a bunch of tests Im going to put him through this weekend and see what he can accomplish. Just happy he is going in the right direction and he's been more active and still trying to get himself out of bed. Good luck fishing this weekend as we usually have done decent with cloudy and maybe some snow in the forecast.

Fantastic Travis! Fantastic! Thanks for the updates. We'll keep the prayers coming.

Today was great as Hoey and his friend met me at zippel this morning and we pulled the fishhouses off no problem. im back in fargo now and heres the caring bridge update.

This is Travis reporting today update. I just got here after taking the fishhouses off lake of the woods this morning. anyways my dad had a good day. i got here and they got him in a chair sitting and i handed him a flashlight, the type we use to glow jigs when we fish and he turned it on by clicking the end of it and then we told him to point it at my mom and he did. he took his glasses off. he put 2 fingers in the air for me. his eyes wernt open much for me tonight but I guess he has had them more open. he doesnt like the heartbeat monitor on his finger so he keeps pulling that off. He was pointing to the correct dog in the pictures when my mom was telling him to point to one. we will see what else he dcan do tonight but hopefully he can rest tonight.

Travis,

It was nice seeing you this weekend and hooking onto the Walleye Inn for a ride to shore. Nice job in getting everything coordinated.

Travis, Joe, and Hoey with the Walleye Inn.

full-22028-31022-img_2215.jpg

Please let your Dad know we are all praying for him, for his family, and his healthcare providers.

Thanks for posting the pic Hoey. I'm printing it out this morning and bringing with to the hospital this afternoon to show Dad. He's made some great improvements this week and started to talk! The nurse asked if she could get him anything and he said a million dollars so he's still himself...He walks himself around in a wheelchair with his feet and uses a walker for a few steps at a time but not far. cant stand on own yet but it will come. He's doing great and possibly may go to rehab next week in fargo. check out the updates and good luck fishing.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/terrydoeden

That is GREAT NEWS. I am sure he will be getting better and better every day. Thanks for the continued reports.

update. Dad was moved to REHAB today!!! Big day as he has been restless and wanting to leave the hospital...although he can't go home rehab will be great for him to get back to hopefully walking, talking, eating...he still has a trach in his neck and a feeding tube in stomach for now but he's doing better and can say 4 or 5 words in a row. Hopefully they tire him out during the day so he will sleep at night now. The doctors recommended the sanford south university rehab center and thats where he went and we have heard great things there in fargo. another step closer to being back on the water.

I called my brother in bismark and had it on speaker phone on sunday and my brother said hi and my dads response was "are you catching any fish?"....thats my dad.

Sounds like they are keeping him more local for rehab and care, and not planning the Twin Cities move. That is great to hear, so much less stress on everyone involved.

Wow! Huge kudos! Good for him. Sounds like he's swinging around fast now. Bet he's glad to have most of the tubes and wires out.

Sounds like things are improving daily. I have followed the updates here and on caringbridge everyday.

There is still a long road ahead, but with faith, family and prayer Terry will be strong again soon.

Thanks for the updates. I hope your family will have a safe and Happy Easter.

Dad's continuing to improve. It's good things. The other day he even asked about the fishing forum...then he said fishing Minnesota...the nurse aide next to him had no clue what he was saying...but you sure know I did!!! One of dads daily routines is to check the LOW fishing forum. We got his back brace on and him up in a wheelchair and wheeled him down to the waiting/family room computer and cranked it up to this site...showed him mostly pics and the ones on this thread of him. he only lasted about a minute looking but he even ran the mouse and scrolled up and down the page. This was the FIRST time he asked for his glasses...all the other times id ask if he wanted the and he said he didn't care..this timehe WANTED to see these forums. I was pumped and so was my brother who was with us.

Sunday morning we brought him down to the family room and let him watch Jason michell outdoors. he again only lasted a minute but I think he liked it. He's healing but its going to take time. He's strong and has sat up in his bed and then after us telling him he cant stand up without his brace he just stands up next to the bed! like I said my dads strong.

Im hoping I may get to talk to him on the phone tomorrow night quick if he wants. he was asking about his phone today. he's been not sleeping well and starting to feel more pain lately. they work him about 5hrs a day in therapy.

Thank you guys for reading about my dad and thinking and praying for him. I know we will get back up to LOW and I hope he can meet more of you great people here.

Dad slept well last night and was just up to use the bathroom and one wheelchair ride. This morning he walked all the way around the floor he's on with 3 breaks. They said it was 650ft! That was great. He slept most of the morning and afternoon so his body is finally ready to rest! This helps him out a lot being able to communicate with us. His nurse asked about delivering pop and how many pallets in his semi and how many cases to a pallet and how long his truck was and he answered right away. My brother and I had to head back to Bemidji and Bismark for the week and he was fine with that and said ok. I asked if he could swallow and it looked like he did it and then said yes. Hopefully they can work with him this week on that as he's still getting fed through a tube. Today they asked him if he wanted his old bed back and to get rid of the posey bed, which sort of cages him in a bit. He liked that idea and hes been listening well to press the call nurse button if he needs help.

it was a good weekend for him to rest up and we walked a lot and pushed dad around in the wheelchair a lot. Trying to keep his spirits up to keep working hard. Hope everyone had a good Easter and good luck if you hit the lake or river soon.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/terrydoeden/journal

Travis - Thank you for your extra effort to keep us informed. Our prayers continue for your Dad, your family, and the heatlhcare professionals!! Hoey

I second that, Hoey. Sounds like he's making great progress Travis. A little slow going, but always getting better. It's terrific to hear he's up and walking around, and sharp with processing info.

Thanks again for the updates. I continue to pray for your Dad, and have many others in our prayer chain doing the same.

God Bless.

This was an update from 4/6/13

Dad slept last night after we left at about 7pm and woke up at 9 and saw the clock and thought it was morning until he looked out and saw it was still dark out! he laughed about that a bit today.

He ate quick at lunch and came out to the table to talk with us for about 45mins and was telling stories and laughing. He likes to tell about the ambulance guys who brought him from sandford north hospital to where he is now b/c they couldn't get the back door shut and he was giving them dump about it and asking them if they wanted him to drive too.

After that 45min talk we figured we should get a walk in and we took the short track around his floor which is 400ft and we were going to try to only stop once...he kept walking and walking and got to the last turn and last hallway and figured he might as well go the whole way! He made it all the way to his bed and sat down and said OOFDA! That was a great job his nurse was impressed too as were we!

I (Travis) was working with him on some writing and copying what I drew or wrote this morning and thats coming along a bit better. Yesterday he asked his doc how long he needed his back brace and he said 8 to 12weeks and next week is 8 weeks so we will see. Dad is finally realizing the brace does help his back a bit too.

His eyes still bug him a bit so he's been wearing a patch on his right eye to let just one eye work on its own. A neuro-optimoligist is going to come look at his eyes april 22nd.

Hes still improving daily and wants out of here so the harder he works the faster he recovers but still has quite aways to go.

I hung out from last thurs-sunday with him and he's moving along well and has been looking at the rainy river fishing pics alot.

He's realizing how long he's been in the hospital now too when he mentioned it had been 50 days since he ate!

Not sure if the lakes will have ice off them by opener but I'm hoping he may be at home by then with his hard work and the great therapists and nurses he has pushing him.

Dad is tube free! they pulled out his feeding tube last night! Awesome news! Now to rebuilt some strength and get his eyes working correctly and he should be able to reel in some eyes....hopefully. Thanks for everyones prayers as its amazing how he has recovered.

at the doctor's meeting yesterday they mentioned me and said I might be able to take him outside quick this weekend for some fresh air!

• 2 weeks later...

Took dad home last Saturday for a couple hours and we sat outside of course and played fetch with dogs. Tonight he saw an eye dr and got his vision down to seeing single instead of double which is great! He is gong to scheels in fargo tomorrow so I told him which secret jig to buy so we will see what he gets. This weekend we may get to bring him home overnight Saturday! another week and he may be home! hes talking and walking more with a walker. his healing is amazing! Thanks for everyones comments and prayers and I hope to get dad up to LOW this summer sometime....if we get summer.