• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Walleye Inn - Dad in Hospital

Walleye Inn Son

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Walleye Inn Son

• CANOPY SAM

• Hoey

• Boar

Well dad apparently wants to get back to fishing too quickly. Today he pulled out his feeding tube so we had to get that back in (easier said than done). He keeps pulling at his other stuff thats hooked up to him too. This movement and aggetation is a good thing as long as he doesnt hurt himself. so they have someone sitting next to him all night making sure he wont pull anything out. and let me tell you my dad has more strength than the doctors knew about...but I knew. we used to block up fishhouses the old fashion way with a chisel and a couple 2x4 blocks and use it as a lever...then we found out about those fancy jacks...anyways its still stressful but he seems to like the pic of the walleye I brought in and hope he continues the slow long process we have ahead. thanks again guys and i hope you are all out fishin this weekend...who's going to have an extra beer for dad...or I mean catch an extra fish?

Hey travis, knew he was a tough bean, this is great news, tell to quit playing with his tube if he wants to go fishin. LOL! I ant fishin so I'll salute your paw. Good news travis keep it coming.

WOW! Travis, that is SO great to hear! All the praise and glory be to our gracious and merciful Lord!

I thought a lot about your Dad, and his accident, and prayed a lot for him on my business trip over the last three days.

He's obviously a fighter. Sounds like he's on his way to recovery. I'll continue to pray for your Dad, and your family.

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

Yesterday dad (this is travis typing) was moving more but he pulled out his feeding tube. Luckily they got it back in thanks to a great doctor down in radiology so he did NOT need surgery to put it back in. He was grabbing and pulling so much we have a sitter in next to him to watch him always and sit next to his bed with their hand between his arm and any tubes. I know dad is irritated but I try to tell him everytime I'm in there that he needs these things and they are helping him.

Today we have our 3rd neurologist and he is one that is always in this hospital. He said they will be trying to keep my dad comfy and quiet and continue to let the fluid drain from his brain to try to let the pressure go down. He wants this for 2 days and then we will see if the swelling has went down maybe monday. He has been breathing on his own today (with the ventilator backup) for 7hrs now and still going. He is very strong and fighting still.

Right now I'd ask to have your prayers sent toward his brain swelling to go down and for the nurses, aides, and doctors caring for him.

Thank you guys for the support. I know my dad is thinking he does not want to be here. I know he misses fishing and even not catching any fish as most of you guys know its about a lot more than that.

Ok one report I heard a neighbor got a nice 25inch at 16mile at 11pm last night. and yep my dad knows about it and he knows about the coyote I tried to get when I drove to his house the other night at 830pm. Thank you all.

Dad rested yesterday with minimal stimulus (which means we left him alone a lot more than normal to let his brain do less thinking). We did this in hopes to let his brain swelling go down. He was breathing almost on his own for 13hrs yesterday. Today they are talking about trying to let him breath on his own but still keep the trach in his throat to; keep the airway open. He still has a sitter next to him to make sure he wont pull out any tubes.

I want to think dad's practicing his hook sets when he jerks his hand up in the air as I've seen him miss his fair share of fish this year but in reality I'm sure the tube in his neck is pretty uncomfy but very neccessary.

Thanks again for taking the time to give us updates Travis. All of this, as I'm sure the docs have indicated as well, is very promising! Your Dad seems to be recovering quite quickly from a very traumatic fall/injury.

I'm happy to hear he's surrounded by such a wonderful support group, and your encouraging him from time to time will only result in positive improvement.

I'll pray for him, your family, and his healthcare team, in church this morning, and this coming Wednesday I'll add him to our Men's prayer group at church. When this group of guys asks our Heavenly Father for help, He usually answers!! smile

God Bless and take care Travis.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/terrydoeden

Dad had another day of rest. This morning they did take him off the ventilator and he breathed on his own for a couple hours. The put him back on the vent but he breathed on his own with just minor help in getting some pressure to his lungs and currently is in that mode as I type. We really appreciate the nice words, prayers, and visits.

Pastor Olson stopped by today and he is the first pastor I (Travis) remember and he also married my mom and dad. He said some great words and lifted our spirit and said a nice prayer in dad's room with him and us. Tomorrow is another day filled with challenges for dad to overcome and he will...I'm going to go back later and ask him to do overcome them for us and more importantly for him.

Today they are trying to let my dad naturally reabsorb the fluid in his brain into his body instead of our the tube they have in. He did well for 4.5hrs and then the pressure built too much they drained a bit. He's also breathing on his own off the vent but with just a little help of some oxygen.

He opened his eyes and even turned towards my brother mike when he walked in and talked early this afternoon. He squeezed the nurses hand with his left hand on command at 4am this morning and that was the first time for anything on his left side.

Praise the Lord! It's so great that you guys are staying at his side. He knows you are there, and that is a great encouragement to him.

He is on his way my friend. We'll keep the prayers coming.

Travis. I really appreciate your open and honest sharing here, as I'm sure many others do as well.

I was just thinking, and please don't feel you have to share, but is your Dad, and your family sitting okay with health insurance? Will there be any concerns about finances with all of this?

Again, if that is something you would rather not share I understand completely. I only ask because perhaps we could put together some sort of FM benefit or fund to help offset at least a little of the bite out of this thing?

Dad had another good day last night. Was breathing on his own on the vent and off the vent with just oxygen. He gave thumbs up with both hands and has been more active with his left hand (grabbing at feeding tube). He was high fiving a few times and the nurse put her hand out in front of him and said nothing and he raised his hand and pressed it against hers so he can see a little. he only drained 4ml's of spinal fluid during the day yesterday and 9ml last night. This is a huge improvement and he must be absorbing that fluid back into his body like it is supposed to as normal he was draining 40-70ml per 12hrs. They might do a CT scan today to look at swelling among other things. We dont want to do too much with dad yet but he's doing better and we are still moving the right direction.

Please send prayers that we have no setbacks such at infections anywhere or accidental things happen as he is doing positive things and we want to keep that up.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

About health insurance...he does have it...havnt heard much on it yet. Its day 13 so I can't imagine how many zero's will be behind the first number on the bill but I appreciate the thought and can keep you guys updated if the need may arise to need a benefit of some type.I am open to suggestions.

Boy Travis, this is good news! An obvious answer to many prayers. After such a traumatic injury he's really coming along nicely. Once the physicians can get the brain swelling under control it sounds like he'll turn the corner quickly.

Please keep in mind, I don't want to alarm you, or cause any unnecessary worry, in an event like this there is often a substantial loss in ancillary income; absence from work, bills piling up, deductibles on insurance policies, etc., etc..

Please just let us know if there is anything we can do to help. I'd be more than happy to chip in a few bucks to help a fellow fishermen and his family.

Dad had his brain fluid drain (not the scientific word) clamped all day to try to let the body absorb the fluid and it must be because his pressure numbers were ok in the brain. He was breathing on his own for 5hrs and now he is again for another 3hrs. He's moving more and giving the sitters that watch him ;have to do more work but this is good and hopefully means he's "waking up". He was itching the inside of his eye with one finger so thats good he can pick out exactly where he wants to itch.

Thanks for all your words of encouragement and prayer. once my dad can read and comprehend all this we will print it off and let him read it all.

Sure is great news Travis! Glad to hear some real good progress. Thanks for the updates. And will still be praying for you all.

They did a CT scan this morning after the external ventricular drain (brain drain) was clamped 24hrs. The scan showed less swelling so they took that drain out of his head. One less thing for him to pull at as he still isnt awake yet but is active in moving his hands and pulling at things.

Other great news is that they are already talking about staying off the ventilator for 2 days and if thats possible maybe moving my dad out of the ICU. Then rehab might start.

We are very happy yet still limiting people visiting or talking to my dad directly as now we cant regulate or see the brain pressure and do not want to stimulate him too much that his pressure rises too much and we go backwards. thanks for all the prayers.

This is awesome news to all us and we are excited. We know its a long road but the talk of leaving the ICU is amazing...other than we have to leave the great nurses that were in there.

I don't know your father or family, but prayers are being sent for a quick and full recovery! I know the power of prayer and positive thoughts from FMers and how it turns someone on the outs 180 degrees! Witnessed first hand.

Hang in there and make sure to keep your Dad on the mend so you can share many more days on the ice.

Good Luck!

Ken

Dad didnt do alot today. Moved legs and arms and was grabbing at the oxygen tube a bit. He has been breathing on his own for over a day now. If this continues and the docs feel;hes stable enough he may move out of ICU tomorrow if there is a bed open for him. Hes still not awake.He's hardly on any meds right now so just letting his body do what it wants.He is consuming all the food they give him so hopefully he will keep getting stronger. I asked if they could pour some coke in his feeding tube and they actually said they could if it clogs as thats how they unclog the tube.

my prayers to your family...as i think i am invincible i am now at the point where i have to just realize i cant do what i did in my twenties or thirties or forties now...up on ladders and out on ice are a risk for us middle age and above guys now..please everyone be careful about what you can do...no more going up on roofs etc for me...let this be a lesson for all of us...dont take the risk!!

That's a big step Travis, and so good to hear. Getting him completely off the vent is good. Much less chance of infection, and it will help him to fight on his own and gain strength more quickly.

Know that our prayers continue for your father, your family, and his hospital team.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

When you say he is grabbing at the Oxy and feeding tubes. Is he fighting them or just doing it on accident? He's got to know the less he fights them the sooner he will be back at home? wink

He pulls at his feeding tube and trach in his neck i'd guess b/c they are bugging him or he finds them while moving hands around and just pulls. He hasn't "came to" yet so ;we arent sure about how he's thinking right now. He can hear our voices as he has randomly l;istened to commands. He was moving more this morning and had eyes open a bit but was still a blank stare. They think they are moving him out of the ICU today sometime. Anyone been by the Walleye Inn's I think they are just off main street on the right side out of Zippel. Just curious how much snow is around them. Thanks for your posts as I talk fishing a little with dad each day to try to encourage his healing but try to keep him calm enough too.

Travis. I'm certain that if you let Nick or Deanna (Zipple Bay owners) know what's happened, they'd be more than happy to get your Father's house(s) off the ice for you, and make sure they are stowed away properly.

Dad's been moved down to the 2nd floor now and to a general room and out of the ICU. He was shaking a bit and coughing when he got here but hopefully it was just jitters from the move. We are hoping and praying he wakes up soon and that he continues to heal.

I'm hoping to get up there sometime in the next few weeks..hope to fish a bit and then pull the houses and store at zippel.

Today dad hasnt done a whole lot but he did squeeze my hand with his left hand right before they moved him into a chair to sit up for an hour. they are taking him out of the chair and into bed soon. He hasn't opened his eyes or been very active today. We would like to see more but he seems to get tired out. Mom talked a bit aboue splitting wood and his legs rose and arms. Day 17 today.

Dad's been moved down to the 2nd floor now and to a general room and out of the ICU. He was shaking a bit and coughing when he got here but hopefully it was just jitters from the move. We are hoping and praying he wakes up soon and that he continues to heal.

I'm hoping to get up there sometime in the next few weeks..hope to fish a bit and then pull the houses and store at zippel.

I plan on being up there the weekend of the 9th and would be willing to help if you need some. Our thoughts are with you and your dad and family, I really appreciate the updates.

Thanks for the offer rusty. We may be moving dad to the cities and won't be around then. I'll post on here when I plan to head up and take the houses off. I believe there'ss tv's up in each house we probaqbly need to take down before we move them. Not end of the world if they broke as they are old style cheap ones but I'd like to be there if possible to move the houses. Dad did open his eyes last night and gave us all the look that he isnt happy to be here. We encourage him to be strong so he can get healed and get out of here.

We cornered the doctor this morning to ask him for an update and he said dads basically stable medically and might be taken off antibiotics for his pneumonia stuff in his lungs. He thought he may be ready soon (in next few days) to be moved somewhere for long term care (to wait and help him wake up). We may be thinking of a nice place in St.Paul for him to get the best care even though its far from us we want the best for him. Last night we were told he was more active and listening to commands more. He did squeeze my (travis) hand this morning on command and was reaching his hand up above his head. We need some bigtime prayers for dad to wake up this week and maybe we can keep him in fargo and get to rehab. Me and Mike, my brother, are leaving today and working this week so it will be tough to be away. Thanks for everyones prayers and visits.