• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

December 2012 - Nymph Fly Swap

ted4887

Let's get the ball rolling. Registration for the swap will close December 1st, 2012. Once registration closes, I will send you all a pm with my address for flies to be sent to.

If you want to register, please state what fly you are tying so we can try to limit duplicates.

First swap: Trout Nymphs (No size restrictions)

Due date: December 22nd, 2012

Note: Please ensure your flies have a toe tag that includes your username and fly name. All flies will be shipped back in the same container in which they were sent. When mailing the flies, you MUST include a self-addressed envelope with pre-paid postage.

Swappers:

1. ted4887 - Brassie

2. Slabasaurus - Zebra Midge

3. Ic3wind - Soft Hackle Fox Tail

Im in with a soft hackle red Fox squirell.

My first thoughts were to tie an articulated san juan egg with an articulated hopper dropper. I call it "nemesis" But I'll save that for another day.

Swappers:

1. ted4887 - Brassie

4. ichmesir - Trout Carrot

Calling OnAFly, Wabamskee, MNFishHunter --- Where are you guys at? Any forum lurkers want to get in on this? I know you're out there!

Swappers:

1. ted4887 - Brassie

5. MNFishHunter - Pheasant Tail

Swappers:

1. ted4887 - Brassie

6. OnAFly - Lightning Bug

Luke, I'm hoping that we'll find 9 tiers for the first swap. As it stands right now, it's 5 like Eric said. NateMcVey, DarkCloud, Wabamskee, mainbutter - I know you guys have vises. Would be great to get you in here.

Dave, you ought to give Jeff a ring and see if he wants in on this since he doesn't seem to drop in as often anymore.

Dave, you ought to give Jeff a ring and see if he wants in on this since he doesn't seem to drop in as often anymore.

Yeah, I've sent him some messages... IM's on gchat, emails... blah blah.

I'd be shocked if he wasn't interested in this, especially since trout season (for stupid pellet fed bows that would eat a cotton ball if you threw it at them) is just under way now.

Boy I'm glad I don't live in OKC...

wink

Swappers:

1. ted4887 - Brassie

7. CraftyTurtle - Emerging Caddis

Yeah, I've sent him some messages... IM's on gchat, emails... blah blah.

I'd be shocked if he wasn't interested in this, especially since trout season (for stupid pellet fed bows that would eat a cotton ball if you threw it at them) is just under way now.

Boy I'm glad I don't live in OKC...

wink

I don't think a cotton ball nymph would work up here wink at least not for January.. Probably work great for carp when the cottonwoods start dropping seeds

Crafty - I'm looking forward to your Caddis emerger. Those things have been deadly for me and it's always nice to see a new take on one.

Just a heads up to anyone thinking about joining. Registration for this swap will end tomorrow night @ 11:59pm.

Okay everyone, this swap is now closed to new participants.

Each swap member will tie up 6 of their flies. I must receive each members flies no later than December 22nd, 2012. If for some reason this becomes an issue for someone, please pm me. If I don't receive a pm stating a valid reason, you will not receive any flies in return. Also, please make sure that you include a pre-paid, self addressed envelope for the return of flies. Whatever box you send your flies in will be returned to you.

I will be sending out a PM to each member of the swap that will include my mailing address. Please let me know if you have not received it by tomorrow morning.

The members, and what they are tying in this swap are:

Swappers:

1. ted4887 - Brassie

7. CraftyTurtle - Emerging Caddis

CraftyTurtle, MNFishHunter, and Ic3wind: I tried to pm you my address but you are all over your limits on pm's. Please pm me when you clear them out and I'll get you guys my address.

Here is my contribution to the swap.

Brassie

Hook: Sz 16 scud

Bead: Sz 11/0 red glass

Thread: 8/0 black Uni

Body: Small Red Copper Wire (Wrapped from top of the hook downward)

Rib: Body wire wrapped back up toward eye

Collar: Peacock Herl

This is not at all a complicated fly to tie. I prefer the look of the brassie tied with the ribbing as opposed to just tying from the hook shank up without a rib.

PC040179.jpg

nice looking brassie there.. I too like the ribbing.. depending on the mood.. I either do it that way or the plain jane way..

Thanks.

I'll tie them both ways just depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. If I'm trying to pound out 20 of them, then I'll tie them w/o ribbing. If I only need a handful for things like this swap, I'll tie them this way. It's a little more tedious, but looks much better IMO.

I am one to tie with ribbing whenever possible... I'm not sure if this is because I think I need practice with the technique or that it looks nicer.

Probably the latter. I am picky when it comes to my flyties.

Anyway. Looks nice ted. Should catch some trouts.

Collar or No collar? I like the collar. For the swap this'll be barbless, size 16-18 (unless anyone has experience in SE MN trout streams in the winter and thinks that's too big or small)

PC041757-2.jpg

Looks good w/ the collar. That size will be just fine. Heck, I hardly fish anything smaller than a 14 anymore. I think I picked that up from Ic3wind.

aye I think you did too. the ones Im tying for the swap are 12s. the only thing I tie 16 or smaller are midge patterns. And I very rarely fish em

Id keep the collar it looks good. I'll throw up some pics of my bugs tonight

I tie up midges all the time.. hoping to make use of them.. and usually end up pulling them out of my box a couple months down the line.. PTs in smaller sizes 18/20 can make a day better usually though.. So I keep plenty of them on hand.. and I tied up more thread midges this year.. still hopeful that on slow days they'll be my savior