• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake of the Woods Fishing Reports by River Bend Resort

Fishing west of Garden in 30-32 feet of water has been producing great results! Our boats continue to bring in daily limits while throwing back many slot fish. Spinner fishing at Starren Shoal has also been a success! There is still a large school of fish sitting right out front of Lighthouse Gap all the way over to the fields just north of Zippel Bay in that 30 to 32 foot depth.

Thanks for the update Paul.

We intended to make it to your Saturday fish fry this past weekend but unfortunately it didn't happen. I've heard good things!

vman11,

We changed up the fish batter a little this year, and it is working great with our fresh walleye. If you are back in the area, we have three fish fries left for the season!!!

Were you up fishing? I am guessing if you were you did well.

Fishing up on Lake of the Woods this year has been phenomenal!! Especially with that large school sitting right out front of the Light House Gap.

See you Labor day weekend! After all these years of wanting to go to the fish fry and never making it, we are actually planning it and making a point to go. Looking forward to it!

• 2 weeks later...

Fishing this past week continues to stay steady. Walleyes are being caught in depths from 24 to 34 feet. Pulling spinners with night crawlers is still very productive for this time of the season. Hammered gold spinners, and hammered copper seem to be the most productive colors. 281/2 is the biggest we have seen this last week out of our boats, with multiple slot fish in the 22-26 inch range!

Getting a lot of reports of Jigging with shiners on the 9 and 29 foot reefs. Using gold, pink, and orange jigs.

Downrigging in 28 feet, from the Lighthouse Gap, over to Zippel bay is also producing a great number of keeper Walleye.

There has been an abundance of little (6-9 inch) walleye and sauger being picked up. This is a great sign as to how great of a fishery Lake of the Woods will continue to be over the next 5 years!!

Fishing the last two days has been spectacular!! Still pulling blades and worms out front from the Lighthouse Gap, to Zippel Bay, and north up to the Fields. This south wind is working right into perfect drift speeds with 1.5 oz. to 2 oz. of weight. 28 to 32 feet have produced the most box fish with a few slots and overs coming in.

Jigging in 24 feet has also been giving up fish that we normally are downrigging for this time of year. We are definitely seeing fish in their pre-fall patterns.

Downrigging is still producing on the days the wind is still. Mostly in the 26 to 28 foot depths, but hearing them caught all the way out to 34 feet.

It is a fishing frenzy for all styles of fishing right now. Just goes to show how great of a Walleye fishery Lake of the Woods has become and will continue to be!

See you out there!!!!!!!!!

Fishing this week has continued to stay strong. We are starting to see the fish schooling up just like they are supposed this time of the year. We have been fishing a large school right out front of the Lighthouse Gap in 31ft. Pulling spinners and anchoring up and jigging has been filling out limits in a matter of hours.

We have had some reports of down rigging around the nine and twenty nine foot reefs. Staying out from the rocks about 100 to 200 yds. in 33-34 feet of water.

See you out there!!!

Wind, Wind, and more Wind. That has been the story this week. With all this West and North West wind, the water is pretty stirred up over here on the South East side of the lake.

Our charters have been fishing west over by Zippel Bay. From the Graceton line, north up to Long Point, has been the area with the most concentration on fish, and cleaner water.

Bait fishing is still the predominate style we have been using. Pulling spinners and nightcrawlers in 29 to 32 feet of water. Jigging is still producing when we come across a school of walleyes.

This week cooler temperatures, and winds are dropping water temps down in to the mid 60 degree range. It will not be much longer and we will be targeting them out front of the gaps, in the bay, and river.

See you out there!!

The last several trips out I have intended to pull spinners just to mix it up. I end up putting the I Pilot in the water hitting the "anchor" logo and jiggin up fish after fish. What a fun time to be fishing LOW. Everything is working

Curt, jigging the last couple of days has been producing some nice fish. Right out in front of Morris Point Gap over to the Graceton Line in 27 1/2 ft.

We are also picking nice walleye in 4 Mile Bay. I think we are inching closer to a full blown Rainy River bite.

I love this time of year!!

See you out there!!

This wind is definitely stirring things up on the big lake! Most of the water on the south east side is looking a little like chocolate milk. It is stretching from the Nine Footer over to the Fields north of Zippel Bay, but with the winds showing light and variable for the next few days, the water should start clearing. Charters this week have been traveling north to get out of the murky water, and wind, and fishing on the west side of Starren Shoals, just south of Garden Island in 23 to 30 ft. Great reports are also coming from the reefs off Night and Bridges Island.

At the same time the water temps are dropping into the low 50's, and we are starting to see the walleye and sauger coming into Four Mile Bay and the Rainy River. Morning and evening in 16 to 18 ft. have been producing the box fish, then sliding into the 24 to 26 ft. range as the morning progresses. Jigging with frozen shiners is the method. Gold, green, and orange, are working the best with the murkier waters. During the day, the smaller fish are biting keeping the action going!

See you out there!!

• 2 weeks later...

With this last cold front and strong north winds, it kind of has the bite a little screwy! They are picking up a lot of 6-12" walleye and sauger in the river.

4 Mile Bay in the morning, in about 16 to 18 ft. has been producing some nice walleye, but at about 10 am they move on!

The lake is pretty stirred up from the winds we had on Thur. Fri. and Sat. Most of the Charters have been running north to Garden Island, and around Starren Shoals.

We also heard some good reports by the red buoy by the point in the river. Fishing the sharp break, swinging form 17 to 23 ft. using green jigs and frozen shiners.

Each day going forward should start producing more and more walleye in the river. We HOPE!!

See you out there!

• 1 month later...

Late Fall Report: We typically do not see many boats in the river this time of year. It is usually a countdown to the getting the houses out on the ice, but this year is the exception!

We have been out the last couple days, fishing Four Mile Bay, and out in 26 feet straight out from Lighthouse Gap. The lake is still producing fish, with thick bait clouds showing up on the graph. The water is remarkably clear for the amount of North winds we have had.

Using 1/4 and 1/8 ounce jigs has been working perfect. There has not been a lot of current in the river or bay, so the jigs find their way to the bottom like they are supposed to. Tipping them with frozen shiners (since live ones are pretty scarce this year) and giving a slow presentation close to the bottom.

This weeks weather is looking pretty favorable for open water fishing. It sounds like it might be the last stint of warmth, with temperatures plummeting below freezing after Thursday.

If you don't make it up this week, we will see you all for the hard water season.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving, and we will see you out there!!!

Well if you have not heard it yet, here you go!!

The River and the Bay are frozen over! The last report we got is that the lake is also frozen over as far as you could see by Morris Point. Very small breeze today should not affect the freezing process. With the temp at -8 this morning, and dropping down again tonight, we should see a substantial amount of ice being made in the next couple of days.

It won't be long now!!!

Please be sure to contact any of the resorts up here to make sure the ice is safe enough before you venture out. You can never be to SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you out there!!

Paul

We should be. Our first reservations are for the 6th. Of course that is all based on the ice thickness. We'll try to keep the ice report updated!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

How is it looking up there in your area Paul?

River Bend is setting houses again today. The trail across the bay is staked for atvs and snowmobiles. This cold will improve things even more. Lots of fishing by Thursday.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Hey Paul,

it was nice meeting you at the Ice Show. How long before we can drive out on your new road? smile

How has the fishing been?

The ice is looking good where we have our houses set. We have found a good solid 10 inches from Pine Island out to where we are staged. There has been some thinner ice found in small areas by the big pine tree though, so please use extreme caution.

We are set up in the 25 to 27 feet of water straight out from Lighthouse Gap, and the water clarity is actually pretty good. We are only using fatheads for bait (do to the shortage of shiners), and they have been producing phenomenal numbers of fish over the last couple days. Forage Minnows, Buck shots, Stop Signs, are all producing fish. I am thinking those fish are hungry and would probably bite on corn!!!!

The shallower bite is doing really well early morning and late evening, mainly in the 14 to 17 foot range, but the deeper houses have been the constant through out the day.

Again please use extreme caution if you are venturing out on your own!! It is always better to be safe than sorry!!

See you out there!

Coming up the 28th of dec to the 1st, you think we will be able to drive out in trucks by then? lmk thanks guys

You never know. But from my past experience I would say yes. Last year was the only year in the last 5 that I can remember where they did not open to vehicles after Christmas day.

I have 3/4 ton duramax hd extended cab and 8*20 and I usually get out by then. Just make sure to check back a couple days before.

A lot of snow could screw things up now.

I know we are making good ice the last couple of days. I talked to Brian at Adrians, and he mentioned it probably would not be this weekend, but possibly next weekend. Waiting to get a few more inches in the 4 Mile Bay.

My guess is we should be able to by Christmas!!

• 3 weeks later...

Fishing has been pretty steady for the last week. Our houses are catching big numbers of fish. There has been high numbers of smaller walleye and sauger coming in, but after sorting, daily limits are being cleaned. In the past couple of days, bigger fish have started to show up. More quality walleye are a coming through in decent schools, but they have been suspended off the bottom, all the way up to 8 feet below the ice.

All of our houses are set up in depths from 28 to 30 feet straight out from Lighthouse Gap. This has been the area that we occupy this time of year.

Little demons, Gem N Eyes, and plain hooks tipped with fatheads have been the ticket on the dead sticks, and jigging spoons (Buckshots, forage minnow, stop signs, and even the red and white chubby darter) have been working on the jig sticks.

The road is still closed to large vehicles. They are allowing mid-size SUVs and smaller vans (no wheel houses attached) out. It sounds like the beginning of next week the road will be open to 1/2 tons. Always be sure to be safe and cautious when traveling in areas that do not have houses around!!!

See you out there!!!

[img:left] full-36989-28198-photo_51.jpg

30 1/2 caught and released!!!

Great report Paul. Can't wait to get up there! I'm staying in one of your sleeper houses from Sunday to tues. see you Sunday.